6. White-Bordered Swamp [1206.42]
  7. Malcolm [1206.42]
  8. iSlickz [1187.5]
  9. Francis J. Underwood [1187.5]

Game 1 Result: Town +6.42, Mafia -22.5

[/spoiler]

Synopsis

Points are calculated as:

Step 1: Make a list of the players in the winning faction and another list of players in the losing factions. Call these list A and list B, respectively.

Step 2: Average together the ratings of the players in lists A and B. Call these rating A and rating B (referring to as just A and B in the next step).

Step 3: Let E = 1/(1+10^((B-A)/400)))

Step 4: Let P = K*N/2*E, where N is the number of players in the game, and K is a predetermined value (known as the K-value). K = 20.

Step 5: Take P, evenly divide it among the players in list A, and add it to their ratings.

Step 6: Take P, evenly divide it among the players in list B, and subtract it from their ratings.

The winning faction will gain ELO points, the losing faction will lose ELO points. In the long run, the best individual players will have the highest ranking so don't worry about that initially ie the idea that bad players that roll town will have a higher ranking than good players that roll mafia. The points gained are based on the the averages of the ELO of the faction. 

Other Points

Only games consisting of solely Town and Mafia will be applicable to use the Rankings

Modkills will incur a penalty

Credit for current iteration of Rankings System to Francis J Underwood and White-Bordered Swamp

I think this is a bit arbitrary an given mafia is a team game I feel it is more beneficial to reward the winning faction rather than the individual players, but we will see how it goes.

I mean of rei gets NK on n1 after not fining any scum due to town as a whole punting a day, it is kind of unfair to him

The winning team players should maybe get like 0.1?

Just a thought

By arbitrary I just mean that mods like me and zapp may be more lenient or rewarding of certain plays than others and vice versa.

Also there should be a standard rule set in terms of whether mafia is allowed to discuss, how much kp they get etc... For games that count toward this but that can be debated

I DEMAND A RECOUNT!

I pinned this topic!  That should count for something!!!

The ranking system is, at its core, to promote contribution and activity.

I would also like for it to reward people who are already doing these things, but if that's not possible, then I will settle for the former. 

I'd also like to keep this thread as focused as possible on simply being a point of information for the rankings. 

If anyone has suggestions or would like to discuss anything in regards to the system, you are more than welcome to PM me or add me on FB and I'd be happy to listen, debate, and build upon this system. It is, after all, for the players so your thoughts and feedback are hugely welcome and I will ensure that, if relevant, they are tested and considered for any possible integration. 

Also thank you for pinning the topic!!

In retrospect, there is no need for people to have to go to a secondary means of communication when this thread already exists. Feel free to discuss any balance issues to the ranking system here!

I think this is a bit arbitrary an given mafia is a team game I feel it is more beneficial to reward the winning faction rather than the individual players, but we will see how it goes.

I mean of rei gets NK on n1 after not fining any scum due to town as a whole punting a day, it is kind of unfair to him

How do you suppose team benefits change the raised problem? 

Example being someone solves the game and is killed. Town does not follow this person's logic after his death and loses. We are punishing high level play due to the ignorance of others, which is essentially what is already happening now. 

Last place here I come! Can't wait to be told in concise list form how bad I am at this game. xD

i agree with scumwood, so, suggestion: divide the points equally between the winning faction. e.g.: suppose we give 5 points to winning factions for every game, in a game where 4 mafias won, they will get 5/4 points each. in a game where 12 townies won, they will get 5/12 points each.

How do you suppose team benefits change the raised problem? 
Example being someone solves the game and is killed. Town does not follow this person's logic after his death and loses. We are punishing high level play due to the ignorance of others, which is essentially what is already happening now. 
Again mafia is a team game.

If town doesn't follow his logic than it was not strong enough to convince town or scum made sure to get rid of him before he became prob. As either faction you win or lose as a team.

Now I think the system you set up is good for quality/bonus points, but attributing the win to one player is highly subjective based on a number of factors

I think MVP is a worthwhile factor in tandem with mba's suggestion

If player A is incredible and has a 90% winrate regardless of faction and player B is absolutely useless but gets randomly placed in the same faction 100% of games it's unfair for player B to have the same points

+.5 for being on the winning faction and not qualifying for another category seems reasonable and probably keeps more people in the running.

If it's not difficult to keep track of, I agree.

I suspect MBAs suggestion compared to this almost nets even, and if it didn't, I dont know if size of the game and victory should have any correlation.

i agree with scumwood, so, suggestion: divide the points equally between the winning faction. e.g.: suppose we give 5 points to winning factions for every game, in a game where 4 mafias won, they will get 5/4 points each. in a game where 12 townies won, they will get 5/12 points each.

I believe it was either Antagonist or JC that showed the past x number of games having an almost 50/50 divide of mafia to town victories. Under the quoted system, within a meta where town is not winning the vast majority of games, you are subconsciously playing favourite to a player who ends up being picked as mafia many times during the season. 

Anyway, I would much rather reward honest attempts to play to the best of a player's ability and to have this ranking system be something completely void of result oriented logic. 

Again mafia is a team game.

If town doesn't follow his logic than it was not strong enough to convince town or scum made sure to get rid of him before he became prob. As either faction you win or lose as a team.

Now I think the system you set up is good for quality/bonus points, but attributing the win to one player is highly subjective based on a number of factors

I don't think the ranking system attributes victories to any players. At least that's not the intention. This should not be a result oriented leaderboard. If a member plays beyond their normal ability and excels in particular aspects during the game, then they should be a contender for MVP whether their team wins or loses. The win or loss of the game is the team reward. It is the players wincon and as such is the core of Mafia. Victory is its own reward. The ranking system simply looks to offer an additional incentive for players to consistently improve and play to the best of their ability, regardless of how good they or their team in a particular game is.

I actually prefer mba's suggestion of a game being worth 5-10 points (either set or variable, with variation being based on some factor to be determined in the future), and those points being divided among the winning faction
Winning a game of 18 as a scum team of 3 should hold more value than winning a 20 person game as one of 16 townies

Solo neutral parties throw a wrench in that but it'd be easy to make exceptions for that

On second thought I agree with papa more. We already have an issue with people coasting off others- a faction- based model just aims to facilitate now.

I suggest we go with the current model, see how objective rankings compare to subjective rankings after 3 months, and we revisit.

If the game is balanced, which we already have systems in place to facilitate this, scum winning and town winning should be equal.

i will never win this

Host ten games. Modkill everyone.

i will never win this

Host ten games. Modkill everyone.

#Boosh'ed
Have you read Reggie mafia?

Go read Reggie mafia.

Rankings updated.