Sign in to follow this  
Indignation

Enemy Controller vs Mask Change II

Indignation    2855

With the translated wording of Mask Change II:

Discard 1 card, then target 1 face-up monster you control that has a Levelsend it to the Graveyard, then Special Summon 1 "Masked HERO" monster from your Extra Deck with the same Attribute as that monster, but with a higher Level. (This Special Summon is treated as a Special Summon with "Mask Change".) You can only activate1 "Mask Change Second" per turn.

If I chain Enemy Controller to the activation of Mask Change II, targeting their target for Mask Change II, will this cause Mask Change II to resolve without effect or will it still send the monster I took control over to the graveyard and summon a Masked Hero?

Also have the same question for if I Forbidden Lance their Mask Change II target.

APNick1337    9
On mobile, so I apologize if my response lacks detail.

In the first scenario, Enemy Controller will not prevent Mask Change II from resolving with effect because Mask Change II states "send it..." rather than "send that target..." meaning that the targeting conditions of "target 1 face-up monster you control that has a Level" doesn't need to be true at resolution of its effect, so it doesn't have to be face-up (still needs to be on the field though) nor does it need to be in your control.

In the second scenario, Forbidden Lance will make the monster targeted by Mask Change II to become unaffected by Spell Cards and will therefore cause the target not to be sent to the Graveyard and no Masked HERO monster will be summoned.
  • Upvote 1

Indignation    2855

In a feature match today:

He Normal Summoned Tin Goldfish so he could Special Summon Elemental HERO Shadow Mist, but in response to the Mist’s effect Smith tried to activate Mask Change II! Ashi had Book of Moon to Flip the opposing Elemental HERO Shadow Mist face-down so that it would resolve without effect and got Mask Change to his hand via Elemental HERO Shadow Mist.

I'm guessing that what happened here is wrong. Book of moon should not prevent Mask Change II from resolving with effect.

I hope someone points this out at the event lol so that it doesn't happen more often.

APNick1337    9

In a feature match today:

He Normal Summoned Tin Goldfish so he could Special Summon Elemental HERO Shadow Mist, but in response to the Mist’s effect Smith tried to activate Mask Change II! Ashi had Book of Moon to Flip the opposing Elemental HERO Shadow Mist face-down so that it would resolve without effect and got Mask Change to his hand via Elemental HERO Shadow Mist.

I'm guessing that what happened here is wrong. Book of moon should not prevent Mask Change II from resolving with effect.

I hope someone points this out at the event lol so that it doesn't happen more often.

You are correct, Mask Change II should have resolved just fine. What an unfortunate circumstance for that player.