Sign in to follow this  
Foam

Wants to start programming, any tips "for dummies"?

+rei+    35369
the issue was with "past" not "me"

count    69

for what it's worth at my university you go java -> c and c++. i dont think there is a blanket 'way' being taught across all schools that you should necessarily model your own learning after

SparkyFlary    20

When I said C first I meant they only skin the basics, like it's meant for complete beginners, though from what I'm hearing people would rather start with python. The C syntax and the Java syntax are kind of similar, guess that's how the schools transition you to the next level and why they don't teach python over here. I really don't know what the TRUE best way to start off with is..but my word of advice is not to start off with C++ as a first language nor make C your main language. C++ is pretty amazing, but the books and tutorials out there are very bad or too heavy or old. C is freakin old, only linux devices be using it seriously now. The school has the right timeline in which to take the courses, problem is their books still suck because of stupid business and dumb teachers, that's why I linked my favorite ones which I was recommended by from guys at irc freenode chat. Meh for all I know Foam might want to do web development, which pretty much kills what I just said.

• Downvote 1

+Paxman    4811
If you need to take time to 'master' html after learning Python something is wrong.

If you're going to focus on a particular language it'd be best to know what you want to do with programming first. Teach concepts of programming vs syntax will depend a lot on your answer.
  • Upvote 2

Chaos Ray    5

When I said C first I meant they only skin the basics, like it's meant for complete beginners, though from what I'm hearing people would rather start with python. The C syntax and the Java syntax are kind of similar, guess that's how the schools transition you to the next level and why they don't teach python over here. I really don't know what the TRUE best way to start off with is..but my word of advice is not to start off with C++ as a first language nor make C your main language. C++ is pretty amazing, but the books and tutorials out there are very bad or too heavy or old. C is freakin old, only linux devices be using it seriously now. The school has the right timeline in which to take the courses, problem is their books still suck because of stupid business and dumb teachers, that's why I linked my favorite ones which I was recommended by from guys at irc freenode chat. Meh for all I know Foam might want to do web development, which pretty much kills what I just said.

I believe people like Python better for beginners as the syntax is much more straightforward (Like print instead of System.out.println for Java or cout for C++ to display text on the console) and simpler in some regards. If you have something to learn the ropes, it makes transitioning into more complex stuff easier. In my personal experience, when I took my Python course during my freshman year in college, my professor was telling me I was over-complicating the problem as I was using a more C++/Java (Which I took in high school) mindset to tackle the problem.