Sign in to follow this  
Gojira

DuelistGroundz Hearthstone Tournament

+Gojira    1706
Hello, Angry Chickens of DuelistGroundz! I am looking to host a Hearthstone tournament here in the near future (and hopefully more to follow), but to do that I need your opinions on how it should be set up.

Match Format:
A problem with Hearthstone tournaments has been that there is no general consensus on a match format. However, Blizzard has created a format called Conquest that they will be using for the 2015 World Championship. http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/17776013/join-us-for-the-2015-hearthstone-world-championship-1-30-2015

2015 World Championship Match Format – “Conquest”
All matches will be best-of-5. The first player to win 3 games within the match is considered the winner of the match and advances.
Each player must submit decklists from three unique classes prior to each stage of the event. Players may submit new decks prior to each stage of the event.
A player must win one game with each of his three decks to win the match.
When a player wins a game, the deck used by the winning player cannot be used for the remainder of the match.
The losing player can keep the same deck used or switch to a different one of their choice.
Players will be told what classes their opponent has available, but they won’t know which class is picked until both players have picked.

I personally like a 3-deck format and support using this or some variation of this format. However, if there is a format you like better, please post the details and I’ll put in the OP. Some possibilities for variation on Conquest are no submission of decklists (so they can be changed during the event), or access to all heroes instead of just 3 for the event.

Tournament Format:
There is also the question of the tournament format itself. I think Swiss or Double Elimination could work, with 2E being slightly less time consuming, but might increase variance. We could also do multiple Single Elimination events if a longer event is not preferred.

Deck Format:
Additionally, there is the option to do a “Pauper” format (i.e. only commons and rares) rather than the regular deck format if there are not enough people with cards to build multiple competitive decks. This idea could also be explored in later tournaments if people want variety.

Please post your format preferences/ideas below. If the options become clear, but there is no consensus, I can make a poll to decide.

We also would like to know how far in advance you need to know about a tournament, so that attendance can be at peak capacity! If you could let me know that below, that'd be fantastic.

I might be able to play in this depending on when it is

Not particularly experienced with regards to tournament formats, so i can't give much feedback there

+Paraliel+    8032

This is more setting up a series of tournaments (ala DG YGO Lives) so that people can get more testing/practice in and play with good players on queue and also just have fun.

»Naus    4425
My schedule is floppy but I'd play as often as possible

Bryan Lutra    6

I'd be interested in this. while it hurts me, I think Pauper format would be if there isn't a good showing in order to attract more people (i haven't even finished Naxxramas). I've seen the conquest format in a lot of streams and it seems really fair. you get a chance to counter decks, and you can't just be really good at one class/deck and win. 

Ammit    5159

i'd do this, i'd prefer full card access though because if i'm gonna be playing in a tournament to prepare me for more tournaments i'd rather play against the full range of things i'd encounter

• Upvote 1

»Suicidal    267

its the same account you literally just switch servers

ofc you dont have cards but w/ ever

full card access is probably better despite personally being f2p

i'm aware it's the same but i own 0 us cards , have everything on eu and most gold staples , playing since alpha ftw :D  

+Gojira    1706

I would play this if its full card access and on NA.

That looks like what it's going to be.

»Paxman    4776

I'm in if it's on weekends I'll just have to get the times correct.

Saiko    231

i would also like to play.... but again Im EU and with no NA cards :<

Sign in to follow this