Philippsarsenal

Counting Cards in Opp. Deck

To give a little bit of backstory. Last week was my OTS. One of the players who made top 8 cut was an OCG player  visiting Los Angeles. He was playing against my friend who proceeded  to pile shuffle his deck and then  decided to go second. The player claimed that he had to decided prior to counting his deck who would go first or second. He also mentioned that in the OCG they do it that way. The judge was pretty shaky and ruled that you can count his cards first, but I wouldn't go as far as to trust him. 

This seems pretty relevant. A deck that likes to go first might choose to go second if they see their opponent is playing a greater than 40 card deck because they assume it is Nekroz. Also just a side note, on DN they make you choose who goes first or second before seeing how many cards in deck. 

Groot    526

iirc the number of cards in each player's deck is public knowledge. 

• Upvote 4

+Urthor    10200

iirc the number of cards in each player's deck is public knowledge. 

Case closed.

You have the right to know how many cards are in your opponent's deck at any time.  See: policy docs.

Tingy    463

as far as I'm concerned this is valid in south east asian countries

Grimey    8112

ok but the way I see it, when you're picking who goes first/second the duel hasn't even started yet, it's starting after that choice has been made

so deck size and extra deck size are public knowledge before the duel even begins? 

knives1990    261
You can always ask ur opp how many they run in chat beforehand. Won't work sometimes since they can lie, but I don't know if I see DN making the changes necessary in the code just for that purpose. It's possible though

gift    6

You can always ask ur opp how many they run in chat beforehand. Won't work sometimes since they can lie, but I don't know if I see DN making the changes necessary in the code just for that purpose. It's possible though

If they lie you can get them banned for 10 days (5 for cheating and 5 for lying). I know because I was banned for this. The senior admin that banned me did tell me that he asked BLS to implement a feature which shows the amount of cards in each deck prior to the start of the duel though.

Anyways, like the others have said, it's public knowledge at any point in time.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

knives1990    261
Huh, that's some interesting information. I'll have to start actually putting it into practice more often