fractal

Official 2015-2016 NFL Season Thread

Being a Ravens fan during free agency is always fun.  We just sit here watching trades and deals being made all around, and are like "we'll just wait for our comp picks".

That only works if you do something with them. Look at Ted Thompson. He only has a job because Aaron Rodgers is the quarterback. Over the past 10 years, he's only hit on:

2005 - Aaron Rodgers, Nick Collins

2006 - AJ Hawk, Greg Jennings

2007 - James Jones, Mason Crosby

2008 - Jordy Nelson, Jermichael Finley, Josh Sitton

2009 - BJ Raji, Clay Matthews, TJ Lang

2010 - Bryan Bulaga, Morgan Burnett

2011 - Randall Cobb

2012 - Casey Hayward, Mike Daniels

2013 - Eddie Lacy, David Bakhtiari, Micah Hyde

2014 - (of note, this being last year's class, the jury is still out on the whole) Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Davante Adams, Corey Linsley

Those are the only players drafted by GB who have played for a notable length of time, and half the guys at the least aren't even on the team anymore. Ted Thompson only has his job because Aaron Rodgers is the QB, and the fact that he can QB them to 10 wins has completely masked that they have done a pretty shit job of building a team around him (remember when Rodgers went down and they went something like 2-6?). John Schneider, by comparison, has probably hit on more guys in half the time (the highest they drafted was 6th, and 12th I believe, their first year, taking Russell Okung and Earl Thomas; great players, but no Rodgers/Luck). The Ravens usually have decent-to-good drafts, so yeah, I'd probably do what they/Seattle do; sign 1-2 mid-level guys as complimentary players, and build the core of your team through the draft.

Realize that the above is a phenomenal record given there are very few teams that hit on multiple picks (50% translating to starters is actually phenomenal in a lot of cases.) Additionally, i think there are a total of 8 players on GB that werent drafted. 

Miami decides to not match Buffalo's offer sheet to Clay. Even with Cassel or Manuel as our starting QB, this offense is starting to look pretty good. Here's hoping they can address the O-Line a little more, through draft or FA.

fractal    2488

So yeah, how does Ted Thompson still have a job? First 2 picks are nickle corners/safeties while the team already has a fine nickle in Casey Hayward and 2 starters at safety in Clinton-Dix and Burnett, not to mention they'd be battling Micah Hyde for that job, and their 3rd pick is a wideout who is immediately slotted behind Nelson, Cobb, and Adams and will be forced to compete with Jared Abbrederis and Jeff Janis just to be the 4th wideout.

Also, the Niners whiffed on their second pick, taking a safety to sit behind Eric Reid, Antoine Bethea, and Jimmie Ward (either at safety or nickle).

Neither of those 2 team's picks really made any sense (I mean, the Niner's second rounder).

Angeles    213

Loving Byron Jones an Randy Gregory. Let's hope he stays on the straight and narrow.

fractal    2488

Loving Byron Jones an Randy Gregory. Let's hope he stays on the straight and narrow.

Gregory is not in a good situation (personally, not, like, that he's in Dallas). He will require a personal handler at all times, requested by his agent, and some teams think he has a mental illness. Great player, but how long until Randy Gregory the person interferes with Randy Gregory the player? If he can be kept in check, it's an amazing pick.

Also, Greg Hardy is the dumbest motherfucker. A Panther fan called Benjamin and Funchess the "twin towers", and he responds by asking "but didn't the twin towers get blown up? lol"

Malcolm's Multi    1712

Being a Ravens fan during free agency is always fun.  We just sit here watching trades and deals being made all around, and are like "we'll just wait for our comp picks".

That only works if you do something with them. Look at Ted Thompson. He only has a job because Aaron Rodgers is the quarterback. Over the past 10 years, he's only hit on:

2011 - Randall Cobb
2014 - (of note, this being last year's class, the jury is still out on the whole) Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Davante Adams, Corey Linsley

Those are the only players drafted by GB who have played for a notable length of time, and half the guys at the least aren't even on the team anymore. Ted Thompson only has his job because Aaron Rodgers is the QB, and the fact that he can QB them to 10 wins has completely masked that they have done a pretty shit job of building a team around him (remember when Rodgers went down and they went something like 2-6?). John Schneider, by comparison, has probably hit on more guys in half the time (the highest they drafted was 6th, and 12th I believe, their first year, taking Russell Okung and Earl Thomas; great players, but no Rodgers/Luck). The Ravens usually have decent-to-good drafts, so yeah, I'd probably do what they/Seattle do; sign 1-2 mid-level guys as complimentary players, and build the core of your team through the draft.

"Only"
  • Upvote 1

Gregory is not in a good situation (personally, not, like, that he's in Dallas). He will require a personal handler at all times, requested by his agent, and some teams think he has a mental illness. Great player, but how long until Randy Gregory the person interferes with Randy Gregory the player? If he can be kept in check, it's an amazing pick.

Also, Greg Hardy is the dumbest motherfucker. A Panther fan called Benjamin and Funchess the "twin towers", and he responds by asking "but didn't the twin towers get blown up? lol"

He's actually in a fantastic situation. See Dez Bryant a couple of years ago. Jerry Jones is gonna keep him on a super tight leash like he did with Dez. Cowboys are drafting talent regardless of character concerns but the reason they can do that is due to being willing to put the controls in place necessary to net a return on their investment. 

fractal    2488

Like I said, it's not his location that puts him in a bad situation, it's his mental health. If teams dropped him off their boards because they feel he has mental health issues, and his agent says he will need a personal handler at ALL times, his location isn't going to matter much (and realistically, Greg Hardy, Joseph Randle, and Dez Bryant could be less than great role models). Randy Gregory the person is not in a good state of health.

fractal    2488

2011 - Randall Cobb

"Only"

Yes "only". Realize that Collins and Finley are no longer in the NFL, James Jones and AJ Hawk are no longer on the team, and Hyde, Raji, Hayward, and Daniels are either back-ups or rotational players. As of right now, the Packers are loaded at safety, thin at corner, d-line, and inside backer, and have no threat at TE, yet he has drafted 2 more safeties and another receiver, this after drafting Adams in the second round last year, and re-signing both Nelson and Cobb to large deals. The offense has been saving Ted Thompson's ass for a long time. Even most Packer fans think Thompson is an idiot.

DaX    178
Being a chargers fan, drafting a back that'll play more than 1/2 a season is a relief and I like how the defensive picks are "for sure" tacklers and heavy hitters.

DEF improved for sure.

Wild Caniac    421
Happy with the Redskins decision on Scherff. Glad the Panthers got a solid developing No. 2 WR (hopefully)

Justice prevails.

more like being made an example of

not seeing any justice here
They got cheating 2x. One time of which was literally to get to the superbowl. Additionally they have abused the rules a number of times (see rule change in formation this season) to gain an advantage but thats besides the point. Considering what was on the line the penalty should have been harsher and belichick should hAve got hit ala sean Peyton

Joe.    4932
Deflating footballs would be equivalent to looking at your side deck in the middle of a duel (which yes, either isn't allowed now or assuredly wasn't when I played a lot). It is almost insulting to the term "cheating" to call it that.

Those formations were also done by other teams in recent years (Eagles/Vikings for example), just with less effectiveness. It is also VERY common in college football. Complaining about that is just sour grapes.
  • Downvote 3

fractal    2488

I don't remember the Vikings or Eagles ever doing exactly what the Patriots did in terms of the formation thing. I don't consider it cheating, nor do I find that shady, it was just improperly executed by the refs (which if memory serves me, that did allow them a play in which they shouldn't have had due to someone not reporting as eligible/ineligible on a subsequent hurry-up play during the drive).

As for deflating a football, well, Joe, C'MON MAN. A softer ball is easier to both grip and catch, not to mention that the PSI falls outside of what is allowed per regulation. If it did indeed occur that a Patriots employee did adjust the PSI of the balls to levels that are not allowed (hell, Aaron Rodgers tries to get over-inflated balls into games, but the refs take some air out to make them fall into regulation), that is circumventing the rules, which is cheating. And they absolutely got it right when they called it on "integrity of the game". How many people think of the Patriots as cheaters, and consider some of their Super Bowl wins to be tainted? That's a bad look for the NFL in every way: sponsors don't want to be sponsoring shady leagues, parents don't want their kids looking up to role models, and you lose fans (if left alone).

• Upvote 1

Samuel Pedigo    2203

It's not the greatest analogy but I understand where you're coming from. It's relatively minor. But it is an advantage whereas peeking at your side deck isn't (or shouldn't be). Colin Cowherd agrees with you that it's a minor infraction Joe, but his take is that the cover-up is why the punishment was so harsh. It's easy to understand why Brady lied rather than risking immediate punishment just before the Super Bowl but it is what it is. Considering they lied, the organization has a history of both cheating and lying, and this is coming at a time where the NFL's been criticized recently for being too lenient, I don't think the consequences are unreasonable.

Joe.    4932
I'm not arguing that the cover-up looks bad. I just want people to be honest about the infraction. Spy Gate and Deflate Gate are so low on the scale of infractions it is an insult to real cheating.

If lower psi was a real issue, the NFL wouldn't have laughed off the Colts' pre-game complaint. Plus all the numbers show there was no substantive impact. From post/pre Pats roster fumbling numbers to home/road Brady numbers (road games where Jim McNally was sitting at home in NH). You can hate on the Pats, the whole thing sucks from a fan perspective, but be honest about what they were doing. None of this truly impacted games.

fractal    2488

I very much so disagree on the issue of Spygate. There is no way that taping another team's practice is as "small" as deflating a football. Regardless of whether they actually used the tapes or not, that is probably near the top of what you can do that is cheating. I also think that the punishment was as severe as it was, not because they tried to cover it up, but because it occurred during the playoffs. Nothing really came of the regular season (didn't the Colts say something twice in the past couple years?), but because this popped up for the highly visible AFC Championship game, it had to be as severe as it was. If this happened in week 3 against the Browns, they probably get fined and that's it, but the timing of it really hurt them more than anything else, imo.

Joe.    4932
The Colts complaint came the day of the game. And it certainly wasn't taken seriously.

Spy Gate is a misconception. It dealt with the position of cameras for defensive signals on the day of the game. You know, the signals someone is making in front of 80,000 people.

Deflating footballs would be equivalent to looking at your side deck in the middle of a duel (which yes, either isn't allowed now or assuredly wasn't when I played a lot). It is almost insulting to the term "cheating" to call it that.

Those formations were also done by other teams in recent years (Eagles/Vikings for example), just with less effectiveness. It is also VERY common in college football. Complaining about that is just sour grapes.

To quote Brady "read the rule book" If its banned you can't do at all. You don't justify cheating by saying oh well technically it really isnt that bad or the pats woulda won anyway. They cheated to get to the Superbowl and for anyone making the arguments the pats didnt need to do it to win, then it just furthers how shameful it is that they felt the need to do it over an oppn they should have easily beat. 

Belichick abused a loop hole in the rules, but the NFLCC realized it was a loophole and provided an unfair advantage and banned it. 

I'm not arguing that the cover-up looks bad. I just want people to be honest about the infraction. Spy Gate and Deflate Gate are so low on the scale of infractions it is an insult to real cheating.

If lower psi was a real issue, the NFL wouldn't have laughed off the Colts' pre-game complaint. Plus all the numbers show there was no substantive impact. From post/pre Pats roster fumbling numbers to home/road Brady numbers (road games where Jim McNally was sitting at home in NH). You can hate on the Pats, the whole thing sucks from a fan perspective, but be honest about what they were doing. None of this truly impacted games.

Its still cheating and honestly the Patriots probably got punished for intent over anything else. They did it knowingly full well what was on the line to gain an advantage. The cover up is ridiculous, but idt it had anything to do with the punishment so much as the infraction literally tainting the SuperBowl and the integrity of the game.  

Joe.    4932
I agree that cheating is cheating, but you should quantify the degree. It is all wrong, I'm not defending the act. But be reasonable about relating the act to "tainting" the SB or arguably the best QB in NFL history.

If you see Hoban check his side deck mid-game, would you throw away all of his accomplishments and unequivocally call him a cheater? Terms like "cheater" deserve to be quantified because they hold so much weight.

I agree that cheating is cheating, but you should quantify the degree. It is all wrong, I'm not defending the act. But be reasonable about relating the act to "tainting" the SB or arguably the best QB in NFL history.

If you see Hoban check his side deck mid-game, would you throw away all of his accomplishments and unequivocally call him a cheater? Terms like "cheater" deserve to be quantified because they hold so much weight.

Thats the thing about cheating tho. If you get caught once, everything starts to get called into question because you can't trust that they haven't done that before and don't know what else they did or were willing to do to gain a competitive advantage. This is already an organization that is know extremely well for bending the rules. This is the second time they have been caught cheating. There is 0 reason to believe they havent been using other methods of cheating and/or havent been cheating all season due to their history. This is significant because....

If the Pats cheated in any other game this season, that had the potential to drastically alter the course of events. Losing one game would mean that the Broncos got home field through the playoffs. 

It does hurt Brady and the franchise's legacy because at the end of the day you can't trust the franchise because they have shown a willingness to break and bend the rules to win and we don't know how many times or what they did (if anything) to achieve that goal.