Urthor

Past Format warring

66 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be part of an old format war section, sign up for a war team and actively play

2. 2. Would you sign up for this and actively play for two months or more, or would it be a strictly "2 weeks, novelty wore off" thing

• Yes I would
    • No I couldn't commit long term
    • n/a
    • Could commit long term but it'd depend on the format/other details
  3. 3. Is the idea of monthly/bimonthly rotation between vastly different formats a big turn off

• Yes, format rotation isn't something I'd want to be part of
    • No, not at all I'm fine with rotating formats
    • n/a
    • Fine with rotation per se, issue is with the potential choice of formats
  4. 4. If you answered yes to one of the first two questions, are you REALLY sure you'd be able/willing to committing yourself to playing 1 match of Yugioh a week, for the majority of the year, of a potentially random format you've never played b4

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

218 posts in this topic

Just wondering about interest atm, debating the fine details ad nauseum isn't really needed and it'd be entirely pointless to start arguing about whether Tengu plants should be allowed at this stage, but atm the war council is tossing around the idea of running a past format war section of 3v3 wars and Allen's Elo.  

We'd be looking to rotate the past formats every two months, and basically the controversial idea is to basically not play, each month it'd be a cycle of something like post CRV goats to DDT, Tengu Plants as the last point of play because ultimately getting people who are interested in old fashioned Yugioh playing Edragons probably isn't a thing, Perfect circle etc etc.  Aim being to maintain the interest and keep the momentum up.

I'm almost 100% sure that if we launched a pre-CRV Goat Format only war section, it's pretty unlikely it'll keep activity 12 months a year and maintain the sort of momentum we'd expect for it to be an actual war section, as people would get bored of ultimately playing the same matchup and nothing but that for an extended period of time.  

If we wanted to host this and make it an official section and everything, we'd only go ahead if we had a reasonable expectation that the section would succeed and become a year round enterprise.  If we have to shelve this idea because rotating the format isn't going to get enough support that's fine, I'm only here to gauge the interest.   

This is only a thought bubble, details of the setup are entirely flexible, but the question is, would there be enough people happy with this idea to start with the DGz war team having reasonable confidence that'd keep going on a permanent basis? 

since i helped pitch this idea, i'm already in

Why are we just assuming that people don't want to play pre-crv goats lol?

Ftr i agree with the rotation idea i'm just not sure if there's any more interest for post-crv goats than pre-crv goats. If anything I think each should be on the rotation since they might as well be two different formats.

allen and i talked about this before and the idea of doing 3v3 wars seems like the best combination of old warring + dgz live. with 3v3, wars can be crossfire or first to 2/3 like they are at ycs team events. not to mention 3v3 wars can be finished within hours rather than dragging on for weeks.

Yea ofc pre and post CRV goats could easily be on the rotation as separate formats.  I didn't mean to imply that we'd never play pre-CRV because nobody likes it, it's probably the second most popular alternative format after Edragons mirrors and way more popular than post-CRV vis a vis public opinion.  Just that I can't imagine this would launch and succeed long term if we only played it.  

Like one month of one of the two goat formats, one month of other formats was one of the vague ideas I was brainstorming.   

Ok I'll admit this idea is 90% serious, 10% a secret plan to shove post-CRV Goat format up the nose of the "eww no I hate cyber dragon, I won't eat green eggs and ham" types, but lets focus on the 90% shall we.  

This is a sick idea

Would you randomize the format rotation or do it in chronological order? I would think randomized order would be better, but idk

This is amazing idea ide be down for this.

How are the war teams gonna be set up though. Is it gonna be like in 06-07 when I played a lot on here where it was like 3v3 crossfire with a 4th guy as a sub and would you be allowing people to make there own team thread and recruit threads and shit like that again.

I guess you all missed it the first time so lets try big red text

Details are not set in stone.  Every single detail from the size of the War Teams to the brand of milk I pour on my cereal is 100% flexible at this point. 

The details can be discussed later but they really don't matter much, the question is whether there's a groundswell of support for doing this.  

Like realistically we'd need a massive amount of community confidence and support to really go for this, 20+ people saying saying yes to the poll minimum for it to be worth the effort, and even then I'd expect 1/3rd to half to flake out within the first week.    

Launching some marginal enterprise that falls over because people weren't as interested as they sounded when they clicked on the thread is a waste of my time and yours.  

i feel as if keeping the teams at a 3 person maximum would be best for longevity. like i'll be to first to admit when we had 8 person teams i got insanely lazy as i knew there were 7 others that would play instead of me. with 3 person teams, you can't do that. your team actually depends on you to carry some weight and stay active. 

and i fully support making team threads all over again.

And yea that's an explicit threat, this will never happen in a million years unless there's 20+ people answering yes to question 4.  Actually answer the poll u fuks, even if the answer is no.  

people who answers #3 serious question. how many of you would actually enjoy playing dsf format?

I agree with the 3 person team idea. It basically means you're expected to play in every war, which is good.

Personally really hoping this goes through.

people who answers #3 serious question. how many of you would actually enjoy playing dsf format?

I'd play it over Advanced format. I doubt it would make it in a regular rotation though.

i'd play it, one of my favs.

I guess you all missed it the first time so lets try big red text

Details are not set in stone.  Every single detail from the size of the War Teams to the brand of milk I pour on my cereal is 100% flexible at this point. 

The details can be discussed later but they really don't matter much, the question is whether there's a groundswell of support for doing this.  

Like realistically we'd need a massive amount of community confidence and support to really go for this, 20+ people saying saying yes to the poll minimum for it to be worth the effort, and even then I'd expect 1/3rd to half to flake out within the first week.    

Launching some marginal enterprise that falls over because people weren't as interested as they sounded when they clicked on the thread is a waste of my time and yours.  

I want to add to this- we are 100% open to suggestions being posted in this thread, and it is encouraged. But ensuring there's a user base for it is our immediate priority.

If I were to get active and play again, yea I'd be happy to play DSF format.

I think we should only do formats that have a good introduction in the past format section. This would make it way easier to participate and much more enjoyable.

On a related note some of those intros can be much better. I'm mostly thinking of the Edison one, which had very little explanation in the OP aside from a couple nice coverage links but somehow got a million up votes. More sample decks and more written explanation of the history from someone who actually played during that time would be ideal.

This is a brilliant idea and I am glad to see the dgz brass embrace competitive retro to a greater degree.

goat format only would be interesting

goat format only would be interesting

I agree with Urthor that it wouldn't survive on goats alone.

See jazz's goat league for reference.

yeah we definitely need rotation.

jazz i actually like that some of the format threads aren't that detailed. in fact i prefer it that way as it allows a player to get a quick idea as to how the format was then forces them to go and play in order to learn even more.

If you want this to be successful you need to appeal to the masses.

A good way to do this is make the community aware of all the viable decks in that format. Some one who loves lightsworn might just play based on the fact they can use twilight in edison format and then reasoning.dek in goat.

If you reach out to more people (through use of other media like yugitubers) you should get a more virile league.
A lot of them will dump it like a used whore though after a few go's but for that price you'll find the select few who well ... wont.

Ok I'll admit this idea is 90% serious, 10% a secret plan to shove post-CRV Goat format up the nose of the "eww no I hate cyber dragon, I won't eat green eggs and ham" types, but lets focus on the 90% shall we.  

hell yeah i FUX wit this

I think the easiest way to do this is to have like 2 month seasons and before each season let people vote on what format they want. But you're not allowed to vote the same format twice in a row. IE if goats get picked for season 1, you can't vote for goats in season 2.

The waiting period to revisit a format we have already played should be more than 1 season. I say at least wait 3 or 4 seasons.

There are like dozens of formats that are great that deserve more play (I guess I am talking about some really old shit like July 02, PSV format, July 04, Oct 04, CRV goats, etc). If it was a 1 season wait we would probably play 3 or 4 of the same formats repeatedly (goat, edison, teledad), which might get boring idk.

i don't know how i feel about teledad these days like sure if we all made an agreement that we wouldn't main 3 oppression in every build it sounds fun but aside from that idk. like its a pretty shit feeling to get dougie'd on then get oppression'd when you try to counterpush

pre oppression dad is the standard afaic