Urthor

Past Format warring

66 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be part of an old format war section, sign up for a war team and actively play

2. 2. Would you sign up for this and actively play for two months or more, or would it be a strictly "2 weeks, novelty wore off" thing

• Yes I would
    • No I couldn't commit long term
    • n/a
    • Could commit long term but it'd depend on the format/other details
  3. 3. Is the idea of monthly/bimonthly rotation between vastly different formats a big turn off

• Yes, format rotation isn't something I'd want to be part of
    • No, not at all I'm fine with rotating formats
    • n/a
    • Fine with rotation per se, issue is with the potential choice of formats
  4. 4. If you answered yes to one of the first two questions, are you REALLY sure you'd be able/willing to committing yourself to playing 1 match of Yugioh a week, for the majority of the year, of a potentially random format you've never played b4

+Gemstone Mine    2583

The only flaw with that format was gk having 3 trib afaik, everything else was good. And even gks were pretty interesting when they didnt open trib necro.

Jazz    4709

Why don't we vote for "blocks" of 5 or 6 formats (covering 10-12 months of play), see which block wins, and then see how many teams would actually sign up given we know all the formats that we will play.

People can nominate the blocks. Ideally I think you want a block to be relatively spaced out and cover the different eras of ygo history. I would say something along the lines of:

1. pre-goat / early days

2. goat or crv goat

3. post goat, pre-synchro

4. synchro

5. xyz

6. your favorite format (or synchro #2)

Also if everyone agrees that e-dragons was amazing, why not consider that? I think 2 years is enough time to count as retro in ygo.

• Upvote 1

+Urthor    10206
Because edragons and Yugioh are practically two different card games. The learning curve is actually freakish.

if people are up for it then that'd be neat, just want to be 100% that people actually are not going to be scared off. Like I just can't imagine Kris playing Edragons lol

A draft block would be,

1 Crv goats

2. Perfect circle

3. Plant tengu

4. The best ddt format

5. San Jose

6. Los Angeles 2007 format
  • Upvote 1

+Urthor    10206

Ok so we're ready to make this more real.

Like we've got vaguely enough people, so the discussion is, what formats do we want as the first 3 formats we'd play, and how do we want to handle team sizes.  I don't think discussing anything past the first 3 formats will be that valuable at this point, we can discuss those after we've played, but I think we need to come up with the 3 best formats to launch this event to play.  

Alos like the teams format.  3v3 wars seems pretty good because it's stil lactually team play there, mentoring, learning the format from other people , but what are other thoughts?

»Barron    8037

My 3 formats i'd suggest would be:

- DSF Format [March 2009]

- San Jose Format [Sept 2010 pre YCS Columbus Diva Zombies]

- Troop Dup Scoop Format [March 2007]

I figured Goats would get suggested but I like these formats as well. 

Reason why I'm in favor of 3v3 wars instead of just a solo league is that we'd like to get more people involved. There's people who aren't so familiar with the format(s) and if people are willing to commit to take some time to learn it, practice, etc then we get not only more activity but more incentive to play because 1) it's fun 2) with the team you can make friends [in a way] 3) more people are involved 4) elo system?

1) This is supposed to be fun and competitive at the same time. Trying to bring back some memories of warring here in the past but also to mainly play in formats that were better than what we have now. 

2) You can met people and discuss new ways of how to play the deck(s). You can play test more instead of just trying to track down someone and missing them on DN.

3) The more people we can involve in this the more active this section will be. If we can be consistent in this there is also the possibility more people will sign up and partake in what is going on here. 

4) We have the Elo system going [finally] and now can actually have a rankings system. 

The only downside to have teams on DGZ again is that not a lot of people want to be leaders or they just can't lead a team because we all damn well know being a Leader you invest more time. Although, with 3 people in a team I don't think we should have this problem compared to 6-7 man teams, let alone 13 man teams. 

+Urthor    10206

San Jose had Royal Tribute at 3, questionable whether it's a good format at all regardless of whether its an optimal one to launch with.

DSF format is not one of the best 3 ever tbh.  We don't want to launch with that at all.  

Troop dupe, maybe

Like atm I'm thinking post CRV goats, perfect circle as a potential one two, then some other format as a third.  Does anyone want to shoot down why CRV goats shouldn't be the first?  Or debate why perfect circle isn't like the best ever.

Break down the problem into this

1) what will be the MOST attractive format of all to launch with, attract the most people to play and keep people active for an entire cycle.  

2) what is the SECOND most attractive format.  To follow on from the most attractive.

Again, the only thing we're looking at here is the launch.  Not so much what we play after the initial few months.  Just the #1 format, the #2 format, the #3 format.   

TFJ    630

Pretty sure you could launch with TeleDAD.

PrePlague? How much freedom to add Oppression, which I'd assume we don't manage modernizing.

It would be cool to do
PrePlague, followed by PostPlague to show the change if any. But that goes against playing the same format too much.

captainameowica    3822
darryl you got your formats mixed up. there is no such thing as sept 2010 pre diva zombie, that was sept 2009 lightsworn format. 3 charge 3 recharge 3 lumina 3 honest.

my suggestion for formats would be

1) lightsworn format, which even though you had to deal with lightsworn zombie mirrors were exciting and blackwings were a lot of fun. also every deck was packing 2-3 oppressions so when you otkd someone you worked for it

2) perfect circle, destiny heroes man

3) troop dupe, destiny heroes man

i would say edison but we've already got a tournament for that.

teledad we could consider but at this moment i think all of us would main oppression regardless of whether or not its pre/post crossroads of chaos

definitely stand behind 3 man teams. forces activity from everyone, great way to learn and meet people, you can finish wars in 2-3 hours, you can probably get 1-2 wars a day depending on activity.
  • Upvote 1

Jazz    4709

1. You can't do this and not include one of the 2 goat formats. CRV goats has the benefit of being under explored, so I think that's a good one as far as warring goes.

2. Troop dup or pcm would be cool.

3. Synchro formats are ok, but pick one that was established, not something like San Jose.

»Barron    8037

darryl you got your formats mixed up. there is no such thing as sept 2010 pre diva zombie, that was sept 2009 lightsworn format. 3 charge 3 recharge 3 lumina 3 honest.

oh yeah you're right because i ran that deck at sjc la. twilight was hyped as shit then.

+Urthor    10206

1. You can't do this and not include one of the 2 goat formats. CRV goats has the benefit of being under explored, so I think that's a good one as far as warring goes.

2. Troop dup or pcm would be cool.

3. Synchro formats are ok, but pick one that was established, not something like San Jose.

a) pretty sure we can exclude goats if it's the right decision.  Goats is stale.  Far too much time has been spent with the scapegoats, at some point it might be best to leave them.

b) unestablished formats seem fine.  The Edison DCS has worked very well and that format is extremely unsolved.  

Troop Dupe/PCM is definitely very high on the shortlist.

The other question is.  Edragons.  What do we think about using full power Edragons, potentially w/o emptiness, as the 2nd format.  Are a ton of people allergic to playing that? 

TFJ    630
Is Emptyness a problem to be preemptively hit. That is like hitting Oppression in TeleDad then.

Yes it was huge for Pat. People didn't expect it. But I'd imagine the speed and Blaster of EDrags should help somewhat once it is known. Maybe not though.

captainameowica    3822
idk about that tfj. like for us to full experience formats we've got to take them for all they're for. like as much as I hate oppression in teledad taking it away would almost make it not teledsd considering the card played such a huge role in the format

Fullerene60    400

Including edragons doesnt mean you have to play that deck :s
I'm sure sure people will choose to play books too and if they have little understanding of the format ilswarm.

This and/or the wind up format that had agents, chaos dragons, inzektors, geargia and mermail (sept 2012 I believe) might be good picks for the xyz era.

TFJ    630

idk about that tfj. like for us to full experience formats we've got to take them for all they're for. like as much as I hate oppression in teledad taking it away would almost make it not teledsd considering the card played such a huge role in the format

2 points.
1. Absolutely. My reply was to Urthor who wanted to remove Emptyness from '13 nats.
2. Do we allow new techs. I mean we can't even define this. But like Solemn, Dustshoot in goats. The argument might come down to they are bad idk. But it could push the format forward, but also breaks the spirit.

Jazz    4709
Seeing as goat is the best format of all time from a competitive standpoint (and intellectual imo) you guys would be crazy not to include it in the first 3. Just because it is well know doesn't mean it is well understood. Many of you who dismissed it in the last poll we had (TFJ looking at you) are just terrible at it.

I would not bother joining this if people only wanted to do under explored stuff that occurred post goat. I'd rather just play randoms in formats I actually like and already know.
  • Downvote 1

+Gemstone Mine    2583
I think if we really want to go for a synchro heavy format, I would prefer tengu plants pre zenmaines and pre rabbit, because unlike teledad there were other options that format, and that format comes ready made for tournament play. We don't have to argue about banning anything, he only offender that format is dustshoot, and honestly I'm willing to bet more people here have actually played tengu plants than teledad

+mmf+    23113

most of teledad format was played without oppression. oppression was discovered at the last sjc that almost no one cared about in the middle of konami/ude legal battle

i wouldn't play teledad with oppression and im p sure a lot of notable players would feel the same

captainameowica    3822

I think if we really want to go for a synchro heavy format, I would prefer tengu plants pre zenmaines and pre rabbit, because unlike teledad there were other options that format, and that format comes ready made for tournament play. We don't have to argue about banning anything, he only offender that format is dustshoot, and honestly I'm willing to bet more people here have actually played tengu plants than teledad

Umm there were other options during teledad as well. Lightsworn still had 3 charge 3 recharge 3 lumina and if I'm not mistaken 3 JD.

Also telezombie was a real thing and the absolute best deck in OCG due to brionac being legal for them. Obviously we didn't have brionac at the time but the deck can still do some cool plays and NOT die to crush card.

Gladiator beasts had 3 chariot 3 BESTIARI 3 RESCUE CAT 3 COLD WAVE

captainameowica    3822

Seeing as goat is the best format of all time from a competitive standpoint (and intellectual imo) you guys would be crazy not to include it in the first 3. Just because it is well know doesn't mean it is well understood. Many of you who dismissed it in the last poll we had (TFJ looking at you) are just terrible at it.
I would not bother joining this if people only wanted to do under explored stuff that occurred post goat. I'd rather just play randoms in formats I actually like and already know.

so basically your rationale is "I ONLY WANNA PLAY FORMATS I KNOW AND WHAT IM GOOD AT"

yea ok that's totally not the idea of all this
  • Upvote 1

+mmf+    23113

Umm there were other options during teledad as well. Lightsworn still had 3 charge 3 recharge 3 lumina and if I'm not mistaken 3 JD.

Also telezombie was a real thing and the absolute best deck in OCG due to brionac being legal for them. Obviously we didn't have brionac at the time but the deck can still do some cool plays and NOT die to crush card.

Gladiator beasts had 3 chariot 3 BESTIARI 3 RESCUE CAT 3 COLD WAVE

other options like telezombie are another great incentive to not play with oppression

Jazz    4709

so basically your rationale is "I ONLY WANNA PLAY FORMATS I KNOW AND WHAT IM GOOD AT"

yea ok that's totally not the idea of all this
Have you read any of my previous posts?

My attitude is fuck it if goats isn't in the first 3. I don't have the time or the desire to catch up on all the ygo I've missed the past 8 years. Some, I'm ok with.

Like it or not, goats is the best and it has the largest unofficial community on dn. Exclude it at your own stupidity.
  • Downvote 3