• Announcements

• rei

Battle of the Anime Characters   02/10/17

THE BATTLE OF THE ANIME CHARACTERS HAS BEGUN   Find it here http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?/forum/615-battle-of-the-anime-x/
Urthor

Past Format warring

64 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be part of an old format war section, sign up for a war team and actively play

2. 2. Would you sign up for this and actively play for two months or more, or would it be a strictly "2 weeks, novelty wore off" thing

• Yes I would
    • No I couldn't commit long term
    • n/a
    • Could commit long term but it'd depend on the format/other details
  3. 3. Is the idea of monthly/bimonthly rotation between vastly different formats a big turn off

• Yes, format rotation isn't something I'd want to be part of
    • No, not at all I'm fine with rotating formats
    • n/a
    • Fine with rotation per se, issue is with the potential choice of formats
  4. 4. If you answered yes to one of the first two questions, are you REALLY sure you'd be able/willing to committing yourself to playing 1 match of Yugioh a week, for the majority of the year, of a potentially random format you've never played b4

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

218 posts in this topic

Seeing as goat is the best format of all time from a competitive standpoint (and intellectual imo)

figuring out if this is actually a true statement or just something that has-beens like us flaunt to feel better about our inability to keep up with current ygo is one of the main drives of this and your attitude is completely counterproductive to this end

you'll get to play goats eventually. whether or not it's in the first 3 (i.e. whether or not you have to play 2 non-goat formats or 3 non-goat formats) has got to be the most trivial gripe in the thread so far. if you're only in this to play goats just fuck off and go play goats with randoms or w/e and let us explore our other formats. i'm sure you'll have some great intellectual challenges playing goat format with DN randoms who have never played goats before to prove ur intellectual superiority

Well it's really the past 4 if you include Edison tourney.

U GOT ME

I'm sorry if 8 months of no goat tourneys makes me want to bail?

Just expressing my opinions and showing Urthor how my level of interest would be affected, which I believe is the point of this thread?

I'm not trying to prove anyone right/wrong about formats if that's what you think I'm doing

yet you literally just called me stupid for not thinking goat format wasn't the best lol ok

Sure I do think you're stupid if you think that, but it's kind of outside the focus of this thread so I apologize for getting the convo off track.

Basically my feelings about other people's opinions are irrelevant per this discussion, but I'm trying to let you know how disinterested I would be if goat or CRV goat wasn't one of the first 3

Sure I do think you're stupid if you think that, but it's kind of outside the focus of this thread so I apologize for getting the convo off track.

Basically my feelings about other people's opinions are irrelevant per this discussion, but I'm trying to let you know how disinterested I would be if goat or CRV goat wasn't one of the first 3

that's absolutely pathetic. i could flip a bitch like you and whine and complain about edison not being in top 3 but i won't. we've already got a tournament going on and i totally understand everything can get stale. 

you on the otherhand want to play goat format 24/7, gnarly, there are a bunch of randoms on dn to do so. you get an annual goat format tournament here on duelistgroundz so what the hell are you complaining about? we get it you think you're some goat god congrats you're probably really good but that isn't the point of all of this. 

you also mentioned how OH I DONT WANT TO LEARN 8 YEARS OF YUGIOH I MISSED. do you realize you're not the only one? do you realize there are other people in this thread that started playing in 2012, 2013? there are some people here guaranteed that have no idea what the fuck we mean when we say perfect circle or troop dupe. get your head out of your ass this isn't about what pleases you this is about teaching and appreciating older formats and ultimately helping players to become better.

Holy fucking shit calm down. I've gotten your point about 5 times and if you think I don't understand other people don't know X because they played from A to B you're a fool. I suggested you spread the love over several eras, and everything you have suggested has been from 07-11 which is rather narrow and ironic given your post.

You guys do whatever you want, I'm just letting you know what im interested in.

I started playing in 2012 and am doing this because it looks both challenging and fun.
You should be doing this because its fun and you will have a good time doing it.

Spare everyone the intellectual bulshit, a true scholar is constantly learning and pushes to new limits.
Congrats, you pushed the envelope by not play one but TWO airknights in goat -_-

This game has a robust and challenging history, take advantage of this opportunity and learn things outside of your comfort zone.   

edit- Kinda got ninja'd, didnt mean to come off as a total dick
        Goats might be a good way to end the whole event, kind of like a grand finale.

It would also be a good way to ensure people dont just show up for a month of goat and then bail.

I started playing in 2012 and am doing this because it looks both challenging and fun.
You should be doing this because its fun and you will have a good time doing it.

Spare everyone the intellectual bulshit, a true scholar is constantly learning and pushes to new limits.
Congrats, you pushed the envelope by not play one but TWO airknights in goat -_-

This game has a robust and challenging history, take advantage of this opportunity and learn things outside of your comfort zone.   

i want this guy on my team.

Does 2002-2006 not count? We can only play 2007-2011?

Also not every format is about deck building. Some are about in game decisions only. Doesn't make them any less suitable for warring.

Also not every format is about deck building. Some are about in game decisions only. Doesn't make them any less suitable for warring.

the reason i didn't mention anything before 2007 was because goat format. i'm not opposed to playing 2002-2006, i just want others to get a taste of the other formats before then.

now this is actually a good point, there is a dearth of pre-2007 formats and i for one would love to get some competition going under some of the REALLY old formats that u have on ur site (which, by the way, should probably be pinned in whatever section we use for this as a hub for information)

Jazz it's not that people are saying "you can't say your opinion" it's how you phrase your opinion.

Goats is incredibly explored and is stale to a majority of the players on DG. You can't say "you are wrong to exclude Goats" because it's wrong to say that. If the majority of people wish to exclude a format that feels stale, then that's the majority opinion. Saying "I wouldn't want to play a league without Goats" is a different intent.

A few of the better options from 02-06:

JULY 02 MRD format
PSV format
JULY 04 chaos, no bans format
Aug 04 worlds exclusive 10 card ban list
Goat pre-flip flop rule (sorta nukes TER, tsuk locks, unclear if goat is tier 0)
Goat
CRV goat
Chaos return stuff that essentially lasted Oct 05-Oct 06 (meh)

04 worlds and CRV goat have the benefit of being quite under explored

cmon guys lets play some FUCKIN crv goats already

He's letting us know the better parts of 02' - 06' which is useful information since that's when he played.

I was actually always including CRV goats under the goat umbrella (in my posts in this thread) and really have been pushing to include that

I know I'm an abrasive poster, but just trying to fight to include ONE format I already play. Figured people would only seriously consider goat out of that list, but maybe not

He's letting us know the better parts of 02' - 06' which is useful information since that's when he played.

i wasnt being sarcastic :x

I also really have a problem with Goat and stale being used in same sentence

yeah the truth hurts

Playing something for quite a while makes it feel stale.

This is one of the reasons the banlist rotates the meta and why future sets are released.

Edit: I hate when I push the post button too early

Why do we have this "us vs them" mentality when it comes to whether or not we should play goats? Goats should easily be one of the first formats that we play, because I'm pretty sure it's universally accepted that it's a skill intensive format that people are willing to play. Also, the format has been much less explored than most people realize. I like how people are using "but everyone plays goats" as an argument for why we shouldn't do goats. Pro tip guys, when you're trying to make warring successful the goal is generally to cater to what people want to do. If the entire site wants to war March 2007 format, Demise OTK mirrors only, despite the fact that it's arguably one of the worst formats you could possibly create, I would feel inclined to let people war that format. DGZ posts per day have declined for the past 5 years, and warring has declined even more than that, so rather than people getting up on their high horses and trying to tell other people that their favorite format sucks, the goal here should be to maximize the amount of people who would actively war. Which is why I said we should leave it to a vote.

Jazz, maybe you should try getting better. As judged by your performance in the Edison tournament, you obviously suck at any past format that's not goats.

Personally, these would be my top choices, and I'm pretty sure no one has a problem with any of these formats:

1. Pre-CRV goats (either with or without Exarion).

2. October 2006 (post-Avarice, pre-Frog)

3. September 2007 format (pre-DAD obv)

4. Edison format

Jazz, maybe you should try getting better. As judged by your performance in the Edison tournament, you obviously suck at any past format that's not goats

1. How is this relevant?
2. I started playing the format a week before the tournament. I'm not concerned that I haven't mastered it yet. I'm still learning many of the card interactions and all the decks.
3. Congratulations to you sir, for being good at all the formats you were active during. Not being 100% sarcastic, only 50%.
4. I hadn't and wasn't planning to ever complain about Edison. I actually kind of like Edison. I see why it's well liked.
5. I like all your format suggestions quite a bit.

My suggestions: 

1. Edison, March 2010. There is already decent amounts of interest, so why not?

2. Troop Dupe, March 2007. A format which I have had a lot of interest in but no experience. Warring in this format would be a great opportunity.

3. Whatever format it was just before the release of Invasion of Chaos. I'll say, January 2004 (IOC came out March 2004). I'm not sure if this format would be too much better than yata-chaos format. Even though BLS, CED and DMOC are not available, all the other broken spells and yata itself are. Nevertheless, I think its worth exploring.