Urthor

Past Format warring

66 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be part of an old format war section, sign up for a war team and actively play

2. 2. Would you sign up for this and actively play for two months or more, or would it be a strictly "2 weeks, novelty wore off" thing

• Yes I would
    • No I couldn't commit long term
    • n/a
    • Could commit long term but it'd depend on the format/other details
  3. 3. Is the idea of monthly/bimonthly rotation between vastly different formats a big turn off

• Yes, format rotation isn't something I'd want to be part of
    • No, not at all I'm fine with rotating formats
    • n/a
    • Fine with rotation per se, issue is with the potential choice of formats
  4. 4. If you answered yes to one of the first two questions, are you REALLY sure you'd be able/willing to committing yourself to playing 1 match of Yugioh a week, for the majority of the year, of a potentially random format you've never played b4

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

218 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, TRUMPOLOGIST said:

10 games a week is incredibly ambitious when we've struggled to get people to play even 1 game a week in the past

I agree. Even with them spread out over 5 weeks. I would drop it to like 5 games.

I also think 'you can play a particular opponent only once per format' rule is in order.

And I would like to see the decklists of the best duelists somehow incorporated.

in my opinion, 10 matches per format isn't unrealistic at all, especially when 3/5 are pretty fast. no one complains much about goat so those games will get done for sure, same goes for edison. troop dupe MIGHT be the only stagnant one but that's about it. 5 weeks to get 10 matches in seems more than reasonable. if everyone disagrees, i guess i can drop it to 7.

incorporating decklists is something i'm trying to do as well, but ultimately relies on how popular and successful this battle city will be. if we get nice numbers, i'll definitely have the top cut send in decklists for it.

playing one purrson per format only once is again, all dependant on how successful this is. of we can pull in like 100 people, then yeah that's totally reasonable. but realistically i don't think we will. i don't mind people playing each other multiple times, so long as one guy isn't beating up on a clearly inferior opponent. i.e... player a beats player b 10 matches in a row, player b learned to play yugioh yesterday

jesse i prefer pre abyss rising wind up myself but everyone i played against likes post. if the people want it, they get it

no, 10 matches per format is extremely unrealistic lol 

goat games are long as fuck, I play 1 match of goat format and that's enough yugioh for the whole day 

You already have motivation to play more games: it's called making it to top cut by climbing the leaderboard.

What I think we want to solve is a way to prevent players from only playing particular formats they are good at. This is a more realistic solution:

> Low ball the minimum requirement per format
> Cap the maximum number of games anyone can play for a single format. For example, at 20 games, or at 50% of games played.

A lot has been talked about and since this is eventually going to be taken to polls, can someone start compiling all of the options brought up to this point? 

alright we can drop the minimum number of games per format to 5. also, we'll make it a rule where no one can play 50% of their matches for one format. 

with that in mind, i feel as if everyone seems to be okay with the idea allen and i presented. if so, i can make a thread tonight/tomorrow and the season can start on monday.

I agree that the Mookie/Allen idea is the best so far. Basically accommodates everyone unless they are only interested in one format.

I think you need to keep the sign up thread open for at least a week though, and advertise it, make a bigger forum wide announcement, etc. Particularly given the recent board upgrades.

I also think you would get much bigger numbers if you waited for all major US colleges to be done with finals.

sign up will be open at all times. i don't want to make a cut off, rather if we keep it open, it forces the late entrees to play more games. more games = more activity

Last time when this was going on, I joined but was in the hospital for two months with a collapsed lung, etc so that kind of messed stuff up. I see that there is some interest in this again and would be very interested in joining.

Last time when this was going on, I joined but was in the hospital for two months with a collapsed lung, etc so that kind of messed stuff up. I see that there is some interest in this again and would be very interested in joining.

How should we go about disconnecting? 

you disconnect, you lose unless your opponent's feeling generous. If this becomes a problem with people giving replays and getting salty when they lose we go to if you dc you lose period

dont feel like we need to make this complicated

you disconnect, you lose unless your opponent's feeling generous. If this becomes a problem with people giving replays and getting salty when they lose we go to if you dc you lose period

ok what if one player has a gigantic advantage over his opponent but he disconnects? is it fair to say welp you lose even though he was +7 with 7999 more life points than his opponent?

I think no matter the circumstances a D/C is a game loss. Sure someone is going to get the sausage from that but then you start making the whole thing really ambiguous. What if I'm losing the game but i have 6 or 7 good topdecks to completely change it? What if you're winning the game and you draw something really bad? Super unlikely, but if I had late game Genex Undine (yes I know it's past format war but this is the only example I can think of off the top of my head) but I draw Genex Controller which can cost me the game, I can quit DN and pretend I D/C, depending on the context of the situation it might still look favourable to me. Granting me a win I shouldn't have had because it was possible to manipulate the rules. If you have a real rule and you enforce it hen I think it makes whole thing more consistent.

*Not directly related to warring but has anyone thought about doing some kind of past format league? It might have been done with goats before but you could have like a Premier League where each week is a different format or something, and whoever is in charge makes the pairings for each week. It could be fun*

alright then, disconnect = gameloss regardless of game state.

I'll set up the thread tonight then fellas

I'm down for this since I'm currently play mtg and enjoy older formats 

In case anyone missed it: