SamJam

Things College Freshmen Should Know

»ACP    33401

Don't reverse engineer your major. Major in whatever subject you actually like and then figure out what career goes with it, rather than the other way around.

Pirate textbooks. It's free, and arguably more convenient as well.

• Upvote 8

+rei+    34506
If he got into waterloo on eng he doesn't need our advice outside maybe 'talk to people when you can'

+rei+    34506
also canadian college thug life

To the older Dgz members, any words of wisdom/advice for college freshmen? Things you wish you heard when you were 17/18? 

Personally, I'm starting college this fall for engineering. I'm nervous for how I'm going to juggle academics and social life.  most likely going to be commuting. 

get an internship or job experience in the field you want to work in by junior year. Cannot stress that enough

• Upvote 3

ggggg    3610

smoke weed every day otherwise you are a huge pussy

• Upvote 3

TFJ    618
Don't screw up.

I had a bunch of 3.5+how friends from highschool go engineering. They were just lazy and went like C average or worse and ended up changing majors (low comittment when in the military), but even the non-military ones had jacked grades.
Grades aren't everything. But doing well in hs (if you consider 3.5+ well, which is about average) doesn't mean anything if you don't put in the work.

By that respect, most friends who went business (easier from the start) finished very strong.

Just know that eng is what you want and work for it if you want it.

Facebook    70

TFJ's advice is really great. Majoring in something like business or finance is much easier than majoring in something like biomedical engineering. You should, however, keep in mind that engineering degrees are much more valuable by virtue of being more difficult to obtain. An engineering degree even holds immense value beyond its intended applicable occupations . Look at all of the undergrad engineers at MIT that end up at bulge bracket firms on Wall Street. Employers tend to look at two aspects of your college education: the quality of the degree and the major. Picking a desirable major (like most engineering majors) can pave the way for your career. Yes, consider TFJ's advice; engineering degrees are difficult to acquire but also remember how useful engineering degrees can be. If you really want it and you think you can handle the workload, go for it. This is coming from a finance major, btw.

SamJam    63

Just curious, which university did you choose?
If you chose waterloo, holy shit, get ready :D

Guelph. (I wish I got into Waterloo.)

Fullerene60    381

oh nice! Guelphs campus is beautiful, one of my best friends from high school went there!

They have a fresh robotics team, get in early. It's the one club that I regret not joining as a freshmen.
Join an intermural sports team. I know guelph has a lot of crazy fun sports you can play that no one takes seriously.

Stay out of your room as long as possible.
If you are working, go to the library and work in a spot where people can easily see what you're working on. This makes it so you're less inclined to goof off on the internet (my school and I think Guelphs has a policy that you cannot work in the library if you're on facebook or some shit, its also embarrassing which is a good thing).
Also stay out to socialize, this is 100000x more fulfilling than binging on netflix in your room with your spare time.

Guelph is a school where everyone has a lot of positive energy, people there are generally REALLY nice. Waterloo on the other hand can suck the soul right out of you.

• Upvote 1

harig07    2058

Don't shit where you eat

Or at least try not to

+rei+    34506
What do you mean by that in a college context

harig07    2058

Like try to avoid one night standing your flatmates/classmates/people who you will see frequently

petqwe    286

Do something meaningful. That is the only damn thing you need to do.

You may be interested in something and start a project in it. You may want to get better grades and study a lot (or just a bit if you are Asian). You may like to meet more friends and go social. All these are great options.

Just NEVER play yugioh. NEVER. If you like playing card game, play Bridge, since this is a world-wide recognized games and can lead to a lot of discussions, which in turns let you make a hell lots of friends. I repeat. Don't fucking play yugioh. Go play MTG. Or play Bridge. Or play poker. Or get a life.

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34506

Like try to avoid one night standing your flatmates/classmates/people who you will see frequently

disagree with classmates its school who cares

but yeah dont bang a roommate

Living Legend    3798

leave your door open and listen to a lot of three 6 mafia so everyone knows you are the cool guy

• Upvote 10

harig07    2058

leave your door open and listen to a lot of three 6 mafia so everyone knows you are the cool guy

Did that with Anaconda in a friend's room  :(

Luckily everyone was white so they thought he was super edgy afterwards

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

NetRepTodd    202

Make sure you go to bed at a decent hour and wake up at a relatively decent time/ don't sleep in so much.

I cannot stress enough how important your sleep schedule is.  Make sure you get yourself into a stable routine, and stick with it.

TFJ    618
Success is seriously like 90% time management.

petqwe    286

Make sure you go to bed at a decent hour and wake up at a relatively decent time/ don't sleep in so much.

I cannot stress enough how important your sleep schedule is.  Make sure you get yourself into a stable routine, and stick with it.

Very true, during my first year I stick to the schedule. I almost always watch anime till 4am and then go to sleep, waking up at 2pm. But that is perhaps too much for me, so since the 2nd year I sleep at 12am and still wake up at 2pm.

And most of my lessons are in the morning.

No but seriously all that is because Hong Kong is a stupid place where the professors read the powerpoint once. Occasionally there are some inspiring lectures that I will voluntarily wake up at 6am just to get a good position in the theatre to sit and learn. You should be able to tell. Some lectures you should attend, some you shouldn't give a single fuck. We basically all agree we should do something meaningful, and if lectures are stupid as fuck, you should find something meaningful to do.

Anyways good luck with your school. Enjoy the time at school since working is worse than playing the empty jar mirror.

».ben.    7438

ACTUALLY GO TO CLASS!

I cannot stress this enough. If the reasons why you should go to class are not immediately apparent, I can elaborate. 

Also, make good use of the free gyms. It's likely you will never have a gym that nice again unless you pay out the ass for it. And, this will probably be the best shape youre in for your entire life, so make it worthwhile. 

• Upvote 5

Anyone have tips for still playing YGO in college in your first year. I understand many pros still manage to go to school and play but is there combinations you just shouldn't fuck with. Like if you join a frat, don't you think just living In a frat house, partying, going to school and such will take up a lot of time.