Jazz

Goat Format "No Exarion" (April - May 2015)

Jazz    5109
On behalf of Urtur, past warring kicks off with "Goat No Exarion". Gives you all a chance to play Enraged Battle Ox like the old pros.

Viable decks include but are not limited to:
Goat control
Flip flop control
Beastdown / "Zoo" variants
Turbo Chaos
Tsuku lockdown
Zombie Chaos
Machine Chaos
Warrior Toolbox
Soul Control
Black Burn
Stall Burn
Strike Ninja
Gravekeepers
DMoC Gate / "HAM"
Empty Jar
Last Turn
Ben Kai
Rescue Cat

A few sample lists (Do NOT use the EXARIONS, people):
Perovic Control[spoiler]
I0JphMV.png[/spoiler]
Jazz Control[spoiler]
OYYycOH.png[/spoiler]
Polluted Delta Control[spoiler]
sXN4eUX.png[/spoiler]
Trynet Zoo[spoiler]
au1xZIe.png[/spoiler]
Turbo Chaos[spoiler]
n2raaBC.png[/spoiler]
Allen Control[spoiler]
MEBQTUg.png[/spoiler]

Obligatory links to metagame lists (mostly mediocre, but some ideas to be found):
US Nats Jul 05 - http://kperovic.com/metagame/yugioh2988.html?tabid=33&ArticleId=2839
SJC Indy Aug 05 - http://kperovic.com/metagame/yugioh6e91.html?tabid=33&ArticleId=3386
Worlds Aug 05 - http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh!_World_Championship_2005

What's legal?
[spoiler]The following sets are legal:
LOB
SDY
SDK
MRD
MRL
PSV
LON
SDJ
SDP
LOD
PGD
MFC
DCR
IOC
AST
SOD
RDS
FET
TLM

The following cards are banned:
Chaos Emperor Dragon - Envoy of the End
Fiber Jar (New!)
Magical Scientist (New!)
Makyura the Destructor (New!)
Witch of the Black Forest
Yata-Garasu
Butterfly Dagger - Elma (New!)
Change of Heart (New!)
Confiscation (New!)
Dark Hole
Harpie's Feather Duster
Mirage of Nightmare (New!)
Monster Reborn
Painful Choice (New!)
Raigeki
The Forceful Sentry (New!)
Imperial Order

The following cards are limited to 1:
Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning
Breaker the Magical Warrior
Cyber Jar
Dark Magician of Chaos
D.D. Warrior Lady (New!)
Exodia the Forbidden One
Exiled Force
Injection Fairy Lily
Jinzo
Left Arm of the Forbidden One
Left Leg of the Forbidden One
Morphing Jar
Protector of the Sanctuary
Reflect Bounder
Right Arm of the Forbidden One
Right Leg of the Forbidden One
Sacred Phoenix of Nephthys (New!)
Sangan (Unbanned)
Sinister Serpent
Tribe-Infecting Virus
Twin-Headed Behemoth
Card Destruction
Delinquent Duo (Unbanned)
Graceful Charity (Unbanned)
Heavy Storm
Lightning Vortex (New!)
Mage Power
Mystical Space Typhoon
Pot of Greed
Premature Burial
Snatch Steal
Swords of Revealing Light
United We Stand (Unbanned)
Call of the Haunted
Ceasefire
Deck Devastation Virus (New!)
Exchange of the Spirit
Magic Cylinder
Mirror Force (Unbanned)
Reckless Greed
Ring of Destruction
Torrential Tribute

The following cards are semi-limited to 2:
Abyss Soldier (New!)
Dark Scorpion - Chick the Yellow (New!)
Manticore of Darkness
Marauding Captain
Night Assailant (New!)
Vampire Lord (from 1)
Creature Swap
Emergency Provisions (New!)
Level Limit - Area B (New!)
Nobleman of Crossout
Reinforcement of the Army
Upstart Goblin (from 1)
Good Goblin Housekeeping (New!)
Gravity Bind (New!)
Last Turn

The following cards are no longer limited:
Morphing Jar #2 (from 2)

The following promos are legal:
Mechanical Chaser
Goddess with the Third Eye
Beastking of the Swamps
Versago the Destroyer
Morphing Jar
Mystical Sheep #1
Needle Worm
Sinister Serpent
Harpie's Feather Duster
Royal Decree
Kinetic Soldier
Slate Warrior
Windstorm of Etaqua
Widespread Ruin
Peten the Dark Clown
Return from the Different Dimension
Blade Knight
Greenkappa
D.D. Assailant
Big Shield Gardna
Cyber-Stein (SJC Prize Card)
Abyss Soldier
Toon Gemini Elf
Toon Goblin Attack Force
Mind Control
Toon Cannon Soldier (New!)
Toon Table of Contents (New!)
[/spoiler]

How do I play my cards good?
Comprehensive intro - http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?showtopic=155048
PollutedxDelta's Report - http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?showtopic=159678
Perovic's Report - http://kperovic.com/blog/goat-format-war-league-report/
Goat format interviews - http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?showtopic=160789
A somewhat filtered card pool - http://formatlibrary.weebly.com/cards.html
Some common goat era rulings - http://formatlibrary.weebly.com/rulings
  • Upvote 4

wonderPreaux    1407

Does it really make sense to post lists featuring Exarion in an exarion-less format? No card really substitutes for exarion. Particularly telling is something like zoo, which just doesnt look as solid without trip exarion, or Delta's list, where the included report is citing the build philosophy of "abuse exarion universe". Isn't it counter productive to educating people about the format, which is what i'd assume the builds and reports are for, when you're giving context to a somewhat different format?

• Upvote 3

itswhatever    3286

There isn't a house ban on certain cards or decks right? For example: I could play empty jar if I wanted to 

+Gojira    1706

There isn't a house ban on certain cards or decks right? For example: I could play empty jar if I wanted to

This is correct.

+Urthor    10204

I'll probably just make a big post on "how to side vs Allen C Pennington" at some point when I've caught up on all the minor details, that'll cover that def.

Just make sure you have cards for morphing jar and burn for now, DMOC launch and triple judgment time walk are the only other other ones I remember from the last big goat tourny, but I'm sure there are others.

Oh, limiter removal counts I guess

Jazz    5109

Does it really make sense to post lists featuring Exarion in an exarion-less format? No card really substitutes for exarion. Particularly telling is something like zoo, which just doesnt look as solid without trip exarion, or Delta's list, where the included report is citing the build philosophy of "abuse exarion universe". Isn't it counter productive to educating people about the format, which is what i'd assume the builds and reports are for, when you're giving context to a somewhat different format?

You can try to replace it with similar cards. EBO, Skilled White Magician, Abyss Soldier, DD Assailant, etc. None will be as good of course.

The point of posting the lists is that the decks really don't change that much. It is simply the best beater in the format. You can probably get away with playing Zoo with 3x EBO to similar effectiveness in all honesty.

Hardly anybody ever plays without Exarion, so I wouldn't be able to find good lists for that. I did include 3 IRL tournaments that were pre Exarion for reference. Part of the challenge of this block is to adapt to life without Exarion. This is a quick and dirty home page to get you started and to prompt some ideas.

»ACP    33402

Apparently people name decks after me that I've only played in a total of two DGZ matches lol. Before I clicked the spoiler, I got worried because I thought that somehow Jazz got a copy of my actual goat control list.

+Paraliel+    8030

why is an empty jar deck named "allen control" when it is not a control deck o.o

»ACP    33402

It controls the number of cards in your opponent's deck, obviously.

• Upvote 3

Jazz    5109
Guys it's called a sense of humor, grow one

TFJ    618
It would have been funny if anyone but Jazz had ran it.
  • Upvote 1

Jazz    5109
Such insightful replies. Brain overload.

You can try to replace it with similar cards. EBO, Skilled White Magician, Abyss Soldier, DD Assailant, etc. None will be as good of course.

The point of posting the lists is that the decks really don't change that much. It is simply the best beater in the format. You can probably get away with playing Zoo with 3x EBO to similar effectiveness in all honesty.

Hardly anybody ever plays without Exarion, so I wouldn't be able to find good lists for that. I did include 3 IRL tournaments that were pre Exarion for reference. Part of the challenge of this block is to adapt to life without Exarion. This is a quick and dirty home page to get you started and to prompt some ideas.

DDA and Abyss are both Semi'd, so you can't actually play more of them. If someone actually wants to play the Zoo deck, third Bazoo and 2 Skilled Dark Magician were the cards I would add. It's basically the exact same deck, you rarely use Exarion's effect anyway. I was actually thinking about cutting Exarions for Skilled Darks with Exarion legal. The most important thing is that it's a beater that doesn't get Tsukuyomi'd over.

• Upvote 2

»ACP    33402

Why not just run King Tiger Wangnu? Card is absurd.

• Upvote 3

Jazz    5109

I thought about bringing this up in our game but decided not to bc it would ruin the fun of our match:

Are you allowed to chain royal command in response to flip summoning to negate it? Obviously that's how it works now, but seems like something that could have been a loop hole in goats (must be resolved on field to negate, similar to Royal Oppression in fact)

Why not just run King Tiger Wangnu? Card is absurd.

Oh yeah, Exarionless. Wanghu is actually just the stone nuts in this format.

The reason you couldn't chain oppression was because once you activated oppression, but couldn't pay 8 until oppression resolved. I'd imagine Royal Command doesn't have that same restriction.

Wumbologist    14202

DDA and Abyss are both Semi'd, so you can't actually play more of them. If someone actually wants to play the Zoo deck, third Bazoo and 2 Skilled Dark Magician were the cards I would add. It's basically the exact same deck, you rarely use Exarion's effect anyway. I was actually thinking about cutting Exarions for Skilled Darks with Exarion legal. The most important thing is that it's a beater that doesn't get Tsukuyomi'd over.

maybe i'm wrong, but ftr i've checked like 4 different places and none of them show dd assailant as semi restricted in this format

• Upvote 1

maybe i'm wrong, but ftr i've checked like 4 different places and none of them show dd assailant as semi restricted in this format

Huh, you're right. I'm not sure why I thought it was semi'd.