Aaron

Top 10 anime of the last 5 years

Aaron    2057

What're your top 10 anime of the last 5 years? 

And whats your standout anime which you feel is particularly special. 

clannad after story

fate zero

psycho pass

aot

hxh

stein's gate 

have impressed me

HououinKyouma    829

I'll preface this with the fact that there are still a handful of shows that I've heard extremely great things about that I've yet to watch so if there's something obvious I'm missing chances are I'm partway through or haven't started.

1. Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei (2010)

2. Sora no Woto (2010)

3. Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita (2012)

4. Ping Pong the Animation (2014)

5. Mushishi (2014)

6. Nichijou (2011)

7. Monogatari Series: Second Season (2013)

8. Steins;Gate (2011)

9. Durarara!! (2010)

10. Gugure! Kokkuri-san (2014)

Mizuki    12

1.   Steins; Gate (2011)

2.   Clannad After Story (2008-2009) (not really 5 years but so good)

3.   Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (2009) (again, not really 5 years but close enough)

4.   Hunter x Hunter (2011)

5.   Hajime no Ippo: Rising (2013)

6.   Madoka Magica (2011)

7.   Shiki (2010)

8.   Parasyte (2014)

9.   Kuroko no Basket Season 2 (2013)

10. Hanamaru Kindergarten (2010)

Standout in last 5 (and all time) is Steins; Gate. It mixes the feels of Clannad AS with the action and drama of FMA:B, as well as having some amazing character development as we see the main character's facade crumble as he no longer needs it as a crutch to interact with people.

• Upvote 1

Aaron    2057

I've started Jojos and on episode 5. Currenly think its good.. could be better. Hoping it improves. Will need to get on some of the animes above soon!! 

d/led Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei

Nish    253

1. Madoka Magica (2011)

2. Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (2012)

3. Steins;Gate (2011)

4. Monogatari Series: Second Season (2013)

5. White Album 2 (2013)

6. No Game No Life (2014) (guilty pleasure)

7. Shinsekai Yori (2012)

8. Fate/Zero (2011)

9. Ping Pong the Animation (2014)

10: Psycho-Pass (2012)

Excluding Clannad:AS and FMA:B.

Honorable mentions (because there's too many anime I thoroughly enjoyed)

[spoiler]

Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru (2014)

Jojos Bizarre Adventure (2012)

Kill La Kill (2013)

Parasyte (2014)

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (2014)

Usagi Drop (2011)

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun (2014)

[/spoiler]

danna45    33

For many, many people, that is the equivalent of simply asking 'what is your top 10 anime of all time'. Many people includes me but well I'll try.

In no real order besides 1. and 2. :

1. Kara no Kyoukai(all 8 movies)

2. Baccano

3. Haruhi(It isn't as great in hindsight but I choose to believe in the feelings I held while I watched the show, rather than the feelings I hold now)

4. Shirobako

5. Bakemonogatari

6. Steins;Gate

7. Denpa Teki na Kanojo

8. Bokurano

9. Madoka

10. Samurai Flamenco(100% serious)

mfw .hack//sign is 2002.

mfw macross is pre-2000 ;_;

• Upvote 1

N e J i    904

For many, many people, that is the equivalent of simply asking 'what is your top 10 anime of all time'. Many people includes me but well I'll try.

I hope you're implying that many have only seen recent anime and not that the recent animes are overall better than the classical ones, because if you are, I couldn't disagree more.

chris5462    65
Barakamon
Nanatsu no Taizai
Steins Gate
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai Next
Kiseijuu Sei no Kakuritsu
Mirai Nikki
Shingeki no Kyojin
Deadman Wonderland
Highschool Dxd 

Just a handful of shows I've enjoyed.

danna45    33

I hope you're implying that many have only seen recent anime and not that the recent animes are overall better than the classical ones, because if you are, I couldn't disagree more.

No, no, of course not. If I was trying to imply the latter then I wouldn't have said the first 4 words.

I do however, not think that old shows are necessarily better than recent ones.

Aaron    2057

Yeah I think nostalgia can sometimes play a part in making older animes seem that little bit better.

Then again, on the flipped of the argument... I don't see many/any animes which rival the quality of Monster or that timeless class of Kenshin OVA etc. 

I've recently been watching the old Kenshin TV show and the first 60 episodes were surprisingly good. 

N e J i    904
There's nothing surprising about it. Kenshin is amazing. I pretty much love everything about it artistically and direction wise but the one thing that improved my experience when I revisited the series 3 years ago, was that I was now aware how historically and culturally valuable the story is.

+Urthor    10234

If you think the majority of the last 6 years gets close to the standards of any 5 year period between the 1995-2010 you're on some serious drugs

• Upvote 2

N e J i    904

neji have you seen logh?

I haven't. I reckon there's a new version coming up. I was thinking of watching that.

+Malcolm    4780

neji have you seen logh?

I haven't. I reckon there's a new version coming up. I was thinking of watching that.

i would seriously suggest watching the original. you could always watch the newer version after but i doubt you will want to do the reverse.

danna45    33

If you think the majority of the last 6 years gets close to the standards of any 5 year period between the 1995-2010 you're on some serious drugs

Last 6 years? Probably not. Last 10, sure.

Again, all I'm saying is that i doubt many people have seen anything older than what's aired in the last 10 years, maybe excluding the big three.

+Urthor    10234

well the OP does say 5 years n such, you're cheating a bit by including Baccano.  I'd def rate 2010, and especially 2012 to present as a really shitty period for anime overall, with only occasional series like Ping Pong that make you go "man this is why I watch Japanese cartoons."  

And um, yea plenty of people are drawn to the old stuff, largely to the "big names."  Gundam Wing, Evangelion, Dragonball Z, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell.  5 animes of the top of my head that when I read what I've written again looks like a top 5 of all time list, and this is all 1990s and turn of the millenium stuff.  

Plenty of people chase the old series looking for glorious quality, the same way people who were born in 1993 have generally all seen the Godfather, and all the Star Wars movies, even if you weren't born in 1974.  You were looking for quality.  

• Upvote 2

danna45    33

well the OP does say 5 years

Holy shit I'm illiterate. I'm sorry, that was my bad. A lot of what I listed were within the 2005-2010 timeframe. For some reason I thought it said 10 years.

+Urthor    10234

2007 was where it peaked and it's been downhill since.

well FMAB Brotherhood was in 2009 so I've been measuring from when that show stopped airing really.

Aaron    2057

Maybe a better topic would be top 5-10 anime per year just to see the trends in quality. 

Sadly I don't have the knowledge to really contribute to a debate like that. 

+Urthor    10234

If you wanted to do a year by year comparison the best way would probably be to pull data off My anime list or something or rather, but it's not so much the top 10 series' even as the fact taht the ground level stuff has gone absolutely totally to utter shit, and it's only the headliner anime that are even watchable

• Upvote 1

Aaron    2057

are there any animes like hxh2011? 

that shit was fucking awesome *especially the first 50 episodes or so*

• Upvote 1

Indignation    2858

are there any animes like hxh2011? 

that shit was fucking awesome *especially the first 50 episodes or so*

I agree!