itswhatever

The deck I topped Chicago with.

itswhatever    3286

I am currently feeling too lazy to write a report, but I do want to post my list and explain all of my card choices. 

xaOP3QC.png

3 Deneb

3 Altair

3 Unuk

2 vega

2 maxx c

2 veiler

1 thunder king 

1 honest

3 rota

3 upstart

1 soul charge

1 book of moon

1 raigeki

3 alpha

3 call

3 fiendish

1 ring

1 bottomless

1 compulsory

1 warning

1 vanity's

2 triverr

1 delteros

1 diamond

1 cowboy

1 dweller

1 101

1 castel

1 ragnazero

1 emeral

1 rebellion dragon

1 omega

1 tsukuyomi 

1 rhapsody 

1 exciton

2 lancea

2 flying c

3 mst

2 dark hole 

3 shadow mirror 

2 mirror force

1 iron wall

Explanations and stuff. 

3 Unukalhi: I want to see deneb as much as I possibly can, 3 unuk allows me to have 9 cards that let me see deneb on turn 1. He is also an extra name and as the game progresses, you need every single tellar monster in your deck.

Mained handtraps (2 maxx 2 veiler): I wanted cards I could have going 2nd that stopped the djinn lock from even happening, or that just got value in general. (Maxx vs ba for example) Veiler stops trish and can't get lanced or denko'd, which is good. Maxx makes them reconsider how far they want to go that turn, especially if I have traps set. The hand traps complimented my trap lineup well. 

Honest: Outside of being an out to djinn lock and winda alongside a monster, honest was a card I could draw into if my opponent just went off under maxx c to try and kill me. It wasn't a card I particularly wanted to draw, so I felt a single copy was fine. 

Thunder king: Thunder king is obviously excellent in the nekroz matchup, but he is also just a solid monster I could draw and play turn 1 if I didn't have access to deneb. 

Soul charge: I know a lot of people cut this so I felt it was worth explaining. This card gives you an autowin. I resolved it to summon 3-4 monsters a few times throughout the tournament, and won each time. 

Raigeki and book of moon: Outs to the djinn lock, book is versitile, dweller goes well with raigeki vs BA. Etc etc, solid cards.

Ring of destruction: Outs the djinn lock, kills practically any opposing monster, can win the game etc. 

Compulsory: Outs the djinn lock (I wanted to fit in as many reasonable outs to the lock as I could), outs the shaddoll fusions, can help me dodge veiler or valk, outs dante without him getting stuff back etc. I wanted my deck to have all solid cards that weren't necessarily dead in a particular matchup.

2 Lancea: Lancea is a card that can stun nekroz for a turn that isn't outed by mst, twister, denko, decree, dance princess etc. I can also recycle it with call for re-use. 

2 Flying "c": I wanted a card to stop ba from going ham turn 1, this was the card. I sided it just because I was afraid of getting double dante laked turn 1, but it has applications in other matchups too, like the mirror. I can bounce it with triverr for soft locks.

3 Mst: Only really in the side for mistake and decree, I would honestly cut it to 2.

2 Dark hole: Outs dark law, qliphort boards and other random stuff. 

3 Shadow mirror: The best floodgate for ba and dolls

2 Mirror force: Mostly for qli and other rogue decks.

1 Iron wall: My 15th side card, it's a half flood for nekroz, but has applications in weird matchups too. I would side a 2nd one in place of the 3rd typhoon. 

For the record, I did expect to play more rogue than nekroz in swiss. 

Why I didn't play Anti-spell fragrance and/or Spell canceler.

I just wanted my deck to be all real cards, I wanted my deck to be as good as possible vs all decks. Maining anti spell fragrance would make every single other meta matchup worse except qliphort, which I didn't expect to play much of. Looking back I probably should have sided them, but I felt that trap floods vs nekroz get significantly worse games 2/3 when they bring in lots of hate. The spell canceler play also seemed too combo reliant to be worth it in the long run. 

• Upvote 18

902    1773

Great job man, it's unfortunate you couldn't get to draft this time around.

mercurial `    222

Congratz on the top man. Good work. 

Dannyw889    18

Well done on the top, and I love your reasoning behind the hand traps, especially since denko apparently dominated a lot of the tournament. (From what I've heard). ^^

Sess    280

Nice job.

Any reason for no mind crushes?

itswhatever    3286

Nice job.

Any reason for no mind crushes?

I wanted cards that would be good versus deck and versus established fields etc. Mind crush was only really good when I had it turn 1 and even then wasn't always spectacular. Getting the list to 40 was also pretty hard when I tried to include them. 

• Upvote 1

dexer008    805

Nice job, you say in the side deck you would drop 3rd mst for 2 iron wall, but do you think cutting a 3rd mst could hurt potenitally in drawing it as a out? Idk, I don't feel confident running 2 mst only these days anymore, I think I would drop the second dark hole instead since you have many other cards that do the same purpose as to why you ran the card in the side. 

itswhatever    3286

Nice job, you say in the side deck you would drop 3rd mst for 2 iron wall, but do you think cutting a 3rd mst could hurt potenitally in drawing it as a out? Idk, I don't feel confident running 2 mst only these days anymore, I think I would drop the second dark hole instead since you have many other cards that do the same purpose as to why you ran the card in the side. 

The only cards that I am really concerned about are mistake and decree. Since I have a rank 4 accessible to me pretty much at all times, castel is an out. I also don't really want to draw more than 1 mst ever. I suppose a dark hole could come out of the side, but if I did take it out I think I would put something in besides the 3rd mst. 

KidCosmo    1
Question, what is your build looking like with Seraphs included? I'm just starting to play the deck and looking for a base to go off of, you're looks pretty solid.
  • Downvote 1

itswhatever    3286

Question, what is your build looking like with Seraphs included? I'm just starting to play the deck and looking for a base to go off of, you're looks pretty solid.

Test it and find out for yourself! It's the best advice I can give to you dude.  

Don't take this as me being a jerk, because I don't want it to come off that way. 

[spoiler]From the little testing/theory I've done, I don't like them in here. Too many summons as it is and they don't have any synergy at all besides opening a very specific 2 card combo. [/spoiler]