Voodoo

Goat Control Guide

+Urthor    10239

And you sir, earned yourself a pinned thread.  Well done, well fucking done.  

I'll point out that Godzillafan was actually 21-4 with a combination of water park/burn in past format warring at the last count, proving how important developing new strategies since the 2005 metagame actually is.  Also that Burn and the Dustshoot/Skill Drain antimeta combo is really pretty amazing.  

• Upvote 1

+Logic    2040

Sick stuff.

If your goal is to have this at a publishable level of quality, I'd be willing to proofread it for grammar at the end of this semester. I can probably get my professor to run it through grammarly, too.

Just to confirm, is  your target audience specifically are current ygo players that have not tried goat control in the past?

As far as content, my only qualms were with soft bans. I was under the impression Mass Driver and Ben Kei were soft-banned, too.

Jazz    4764
You should list out promos like this:
Mechanical Chaser
Goddess with the Third Eye
Beastking of the Swamps
Versago the Destroyer
Morphing Jar
Mystical Sheep #1
Needle Worm
Sinister Serpent
Harpie's Feather Duster
Royal Decree
Kinetic Soldier
Slate Warrior
Windstorm of Etaqua
Widespread Ruin
Peten the Dark Clown
Return from the Different Dimension
Blade Knight
Greenkappa
D.D. Assailant
Big Shield Gardna
Cyber-Stein (SJC Prize Card)
Abyss Soldier
Toon Gemini Elf
Toon Goblin Attack Force
Mind Control

Also BEUD was NOT legal yet:
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Shonen_Jump_Vol._4,_Issue_1_promotional_card?file=SJ_4.1.png

EDIT neither was Magical Mallet:
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Magical_Mallet
  • Upvote 1

Jazz    4764
It's a feature on the main page of Format Library when you click a specific ban list date. Spits it out below under all the restrictions.

I copy pasted that from Format Library. This was the first annoying project I made myself do when I started. Most of the promos are listed on yugioh wikia in some way but you have to know what to search for. I didn't fully trust my memory but I used it as a starting point to look up cards, I also think I used Valafar123's intro to start researching TPs and tins or w/e.

I tried to dig up all the decent promos -- mostly tournament packs, etc. I left out the really crappy ones like Vanilla monsters.

Some I don't have exact references for, but most I got from wikia. I actually delved into the pojo archives for some, because kids usually made a thread about a promo being released at the time that it was to be released. The JUMP mag promos were the hardest to find. Occasionally you can cross reference with metagame too.

Jazz    4764
Good intro overall. I like your coverage of alternate decks and individual cards.

I hope my site wasn't one of the "biased" ones you refer to, but hell it might be because I am always thinking about goats from the perspective of Flip Flop against the World.

Danissgar    69

Page 33 of 56

In the deck list what I think is supposed to be book of moon is called 'Book of Book'. 

Nevertheless, fantastic guide. I particularly enjoyed the individual card analysis. 

• Upvote 1

skullvarnish    380

Small error, page 45 in the section about Exarion. It says "Its attack in unmatched", and should be changed to is.

Great guide overall. I've been considering rebuilding Goats irl since a lot of people started picking the deck up around here. I have a lot of trouble in Goat format because I try to play it like modern Yugioh, and this guide helped me understand better ways to play some of the cards.

EDIT: Also, in the same section, it says "whilst it defense it high enough to fend off any typical non-tribute monster, plus as well as Airknight Parshath.". It should say "whilst it's defense is...", and the word "plus" should be removed.

Jazz    4764
Exchange of the Spirit was not available either. It was OCG only at that point, thus does not require an honor ban.
  • Upvote 1

skullvarnish    380

Now this is being really picky but it should be "its", not "it's" for the above.

Oh wow, it's embarrassing to put a typo when correcting typos. I'm a derp.

+Gojira    1739

That thing about last turn and sinister serpent is a really useful trick, I didn't realize you could do that.

skullvarnish    380

That thing about last turn and sinister serpent is a really useful trick, I didn't realize you could do that.

I wouldn't expect any player who knows what they're doing to allow that to happen in the first place. A better out, imo, is to try to set Sangan when you know they're going to attempt to Last Turn, and have it search something that runs over Jowgen. They likely won't have any removal for it, so you should be able to set it a turn or 2 beforehand, and just let it get sent. It's not a guaranteed thing, but it's something they can't do much about.

Jazz    4764
Can't the last turn player avoid Serpent, Sangan, and Night Assailant by waiting until the Battle Phase or End Phase or their own turn to activate Last Turn?

+Logic    2040
I thought last will killed all creatures on board at the same time, so that wouldn't be an issue?

If you end your turn mp1 do you ever enter your battle phase?

+ACP+    34068

Like obviously you put a lot of work into this, but it's a horrible guide in the sense of deck construction. The empty jar deck has Magical Mallet, which wasn't even released until 6 months later and for some reason doesn't include Sangan. The burn deck has 3 Just Desserts with 0 Ojama Trio. Soul Control list has a 3:2:1:1 ratio on your tributes and 3x dekoichi, which is straight terrible. Like literally every list that isn't straight netdecked somewhere is horrible. A guide isn't the place to show off your personal brews if you have no idea what you're doing. Like 90% of your lists have glaring flaws, and I can tell that some of them are 100% untested.

• Upvote 1

+Gojira    1739

well not night assailant since you'd flip it mp1.

and yes they can, but it opens them up to outs that kill jowgen, ie tribe with prio.

skullvarnish    380

Can't the last turn player avoid Serpent, Sangan, and Night Assailant by waiting until the Battle Phase or End Phase or their own turn to activate Last Turn?

Well, first off, Last Turn can only be used on the opponent's turn, so no shenanigans there. If the LT player suspects a set Sangan, doing it in the Battle Phase is a bad idea, unless they're okay with a Draw. End Phase is the best option, probably. There's still issues. If I know my opponent is playing Last Turn, and I know their best option to play around Sangan is waiting until my End Phase, I can save backrow hate for it and try to force it when Sangan is out. A lot has to go right in that case, but a lot has to go right for the Last Turn player as well. They can't pull off Last Turn in a single Turn without some degree of luck, so odds are you get a chance to set something up to counter it. Also, if you can summon Jinzo ASAP, they outright lose unless they can remove it, with say Cyber Jar or something (which is outed by your NoCs). Then you have to consider that Jowgen has to be Normal summoned, AND not get killed off by a Ring or a TT, or getting run over. Chaining Cesefire to Last Turn is also an option, but Caesefire was at 1, and I rarely see it mained.

The main issue then becomes them flipping it before you summon Sangan, which little can be done about, but siding Night Assailant if you expect the deck to be used can help raise your chances of beating the deck. Hell, there's also Elephant Statue of Disaster, which does 2k damage if the opponent sends it from your hand to grave. They'll have 1000 or less LP at that point, which means you win. So, they have to play around you potentially summoning a Sangan, you potentially having Sinister, you potentially having Night Assailant, you potentially having an Elephant Statue (which is at 3) and you possibly getting a Jinzo out. It's often too much to play around, and forces them to guess which outs you have, if any.

This may mean losing game 1. But game 2, you go first, and have the chance to hit them with things like Duo and Dustshoot, and also stop a Jowgen summon with Ring/TT/etc. Then G3, you have a chance at drawing your various outs, which you should have a higher chance of seeing than them seeing a first turn hand of Jowgen, Wall, and LT.

I really hope that all made sense, I sort of typed out things as I thought of them.