Careyious

AZ Playmat Design

Careyious    21

Finished Design:
[spoiler]9242fe1ade.jpg[/spoiler]

Decided I wanted a custom playmat, and a reason to procrastinate from studying from a midsem, so I put this together from a wallpaper of the loading screen of the Kataphrakt Control System from Aldnoah Zero. I feel like I'm approaching some sort of an end game where I've finished the basic design, and now I'm trying to clean it all so it doesn't look quite as visually confusing (noticably around areas where the white lines and the coloured squares overlap), and I need suggestions. Something to keep in mind these colours aren't quite final (especially the grey-brown background which I think might be my monitor).

I've been thinking about adding some circuitry or hexagonal grids behind the coloured panels for more of a UI kind of feel to the rectangles since they kind of feel a bit out of place when plain. 

Any Feedback is much appreciated!

[spoiler]bee259aafb.png[/spoiler]

Candela    546

I think some clipping masks on the text could really give your design some flavor.

+Gojira    1707

I think with the current design, the white lines should be on top of the rectangles

• Upvote 1

To give it more of a UI-like design, what about adding some text to the card slots?
That might conflict with the circle overlapping M and S/T zones, but it might be worth a little on the corner slots.

I looked over UI designs on Google images and saw one that looked a little similar
http://aaroink.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/misc-hatten-elements-user-interface-05.jpg
The defining background aspect is probably the multiple layers of blurred text.
Maybe have them be clear except when being overlapped by card zones, and then make them extremely blurry there?
  • Upvote 1

Careyious    21
One of the problems with messing with the text is th fact that all the text is from the wallpaper so I'm not sure the best way to go about moving it around and on top of objects. Perhaps just going over the text with grey and then redoing the text myself, so i have more control over it?

I was definitely considering putting some text in the boxes in the form of large kanji in the centre and with English underlining it? I think I saw something similar on the UI of some other mecha anime.

I'd prefer not to blur any text because I'm trying to keep the design quite simple and lots of overlapping text kind of goes against that theme.

Updated Desgin (w/ Text sample + Kanji + Line Overlay)

[spoiler]be7a0c31c2.jpg[/spoiler]

+ Circuit Design (starting to get a bit cluttered at this point though). Top and Bottom are different styles just for comparison.

[spoiler]cc3cd67b27.jpg[/spoiler]

+ Hex Pattern

[spoiler]a4fc8faf4c.png[/spoiler]

fractal    2488

I'm curious, would you be willing to do custom playmats, and if so, how much would you be asking for?

Careyious    21
I wouldn't mind but I'd have to do some pricing calculations, since this design took around 6 hours of work, and you would have to be able to wait a while since this would be a side job on top of full time uni and part time work.

Careyious    21

So I finally got around to printing this thing from inkedplaymats (would recommend only if you live in the US). Colours are a bit darker than I thought they would be, and there is a little bit of bleed when you look closely (most likely due to the heavy saturation of black). But otherwise I'm quite satisfied with the overall quality and I'm looking forward to making another playmat. 

[spoiler]

355f744b78.jpg

[/spoiler]

• Upvote 1

website is bad    2172

As a note for the future ink is always going to be less vibrant due to the differences in displaying colors on a screen and mixing physical inks. You want to color correct the digital image before getting it sent off for physical printing, there should be guides for that.