Sign in to follow this  
ACP

What are the odds I could crowdfund my graduate school?

»ACP    33421

Ok, so this is actual serious topic.

I've seen people get crowdfunded for all kinds of things. Inventions, various gaming ideas, even vacations to europe. I myself contributed to the crowdfunding of HEX TCG.

So basically, here's the deal. I just finished up my last semester of my undergraduate degree in Mathematics. My 2-year MA program will cost me about $20,000. Details here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16UlDwcD_aTZdvnWaP-l5b3VmtQu9A_wv0VqFo9QDdtg/edit#gid=0

In some ways I am lucky. I'm able to live with my mom and not pay housing costs. I have savings instead of debt. In case anyone is wondering, 90% of those savings are from selling my Magic collection ($5000 for my online collection, $3800 for my irl collection).

But in some ways I am not so lucky. Very little funding is offered for Master's Degree students, and what little funding is offered I do not qualify for because of my low GPA (relative to other graduate applicants). My GPA is low because I fucked up big time in my first year of college and have gotten punished for it ever since. So I am being offered no help by my college or any federal programs. That being said, my schooling is going to get paid for one way or another. I plan to seek a tutoring job, which I imagine I will be able to get fairly easily (math tutors are in high demand). I will look into whatever research opportunities are available (which typically pay decent money).

So basically, I'm wondering if people on the internet would consider donating money to someone who wants to study math for a few years. Admittedly, it's not very exciting. However, I do have some ideas for ways to raise money and incentivize donors:

- Stream or record yugioh and magic: Ask for donations.

- Have an "ACP Explains Math" video series covering various math topics: Ask for donations.

- Write articles regarding applied for math for TCGs: Ask for donations.

- Give shoutouts to donors and their website or youtube channel.

- Article/video request: For a fee, you can request that I write an article or make a video on a subject of your choosing.

- Offer tutoring over skype, charge per hour: Soul can vouch for me that it's actually not that hard to tutor people over skype.

- Stretch goals: Once I've raised a certain amount of money, potentially write a math textbook or a book on my experiences playing TCGs (either of which would be free to the public).

I'm not sure how much interest people would have in this type of thing though. To some extent, I'm a well-known individual, and I would try to get the campaign as much exposure as possible, but ultimately I'm not sure how likely the average gamer or person taking a math class is to want to send $5 to some guy on the internet solving math problems.

So yeah DGZ, please be honest and either crush my dreams or tell me that this could actually work.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

ozy    724

A dude got 55 thousand to make potato salad. It's definitely possible. I can't really speak for the likelihood though.

http://www.gofundme.com/

There are all kinds of crowdsourcing sites now and unlike kickstarter, which seems to only allow things that will have an actual tangible creation (despite not taking down the potato salad one), places like gofundme don't have restrictions on what you can be asking funding for. Also unlike kickstarter, where it's all or nothing, with gofundme (and possibly others but idk) whatever gets donated to you is yours period, whether you hit your goal or not.

+Gemstone Mine    2600
If you want me to be brutally honest, the answer is prob no. At the very least, you are going to be on the edge most of those two years about whether or not you can pay, and that sounds like a bad place to be. I guess it depends on how much you need (I assume you don't need the full 20k, if you dump your savings thats 11k plus whatever you make over time in a job). Also not sure how much people are really willing to pay for something that doesn't benefit them. A 2k vacation to Europe is one thing, 11-20k is a whole nother problem

Also kinda curious if you are just out of mtg or kept one or two decks to just play religiously

It's undoubtedly possible, but whether or not it's likely is debatable

»ACP    33421

A dude got 55 thousand to make potato salad. It's definitely possible. I can't really speak for the likelihood though.

http://www.gofundme.com/

There are all kinds of crowdsourcing sites now and unlike kickstarter, which seems to only allow things that will have an actual tangible creation (despite not taking down the potato salad one), places like gofundme don't have restrictions on what you can be asking funding for. Also unlike kickstarter, where it's all or nothing, with gofundme (and possibly others but idk) whatever gets donated to you is yours period, whether you hit your goal or not.

Yeah, I'd heard of gofundme. Sounds like they're just strictly better than kickstarter, so thanks for the info there/

If you want me to be brutally honest, the answer is prob no. At the very least, you are going to be on the edge most of those two years about whether or not you can pay, and that sounds like a bad place to be. I guess it depends on how much you need (I assume you don't need the full 20k, if you dump your savings thats 11k plus whatever you make over time in a job). Also not sure how much people are really willing to pay for something that doesn't benefit them. A 2k vacation to Europe is one thing, 11-20k is a whole nother problem

Also kinda curious if you are just out of mtg or kept one or two decks to just play religiously

It's undoubtedly possible, but whether or not it's likely is debatable

Uh, I'm definitely not going to be on the edge regarding whether or not I can pay. Jobs exist, loans exist, etc. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that I will get my master's degree one way or another.

I'm a prideful person, and I'm really not the begging type. I honestly wouldn't even want people to pay for my education unless it was directly benefiting them. Like I said, I am offering various services as a reward for funding. But of course it's more than possible that the average person just doesn't care.

I'm basically out of MTG. My collection consists of some bulk and a Tin Fins deck. Lux was supposed to buy my Tin Fins deck but he keeps coming up with excuses for why he can't.

»Logic    2033
I think "help me fund my steam/ yt/ publishing goal of "ttcg stats for dummies" is inf more realistic than " give me money for college. "

I would donate sizably to you writing a text on probability and theory in gaming for non-math buffs. Find homies in other major games to promote the funding. State that furthering your education is a prerequisite to completing the book and only publish an online version until it proffits. make your donation goals include confrences to discuss stats in gaming, doing math homework and tutoring, and designating specific chapters to particular games.

»ACP    33421

I guess I don't entirely get what you're saying. The campaign is a lot more than just "give me money for college." Are you saying that I should just do things for the community and ask for donations, and not mention the fact that I will spend the money on schooling?

Also, asking someone to write a book on probability theory for non-math buffs is like asking someone to write a guide on how to build a car for non-car buffs. 

Sqirmywurmy    744

I think that is exactly what he is saying ^ its probably easier to convince people to donate to support something they enjoy without mentioning that the money they put into supporting said thing will not actually go to benefiting/improving said thing. Like if a homeless dude asks for money he might wanna use it on drugs but he sure as fuck isn't gonna say give me drug money. He will probably say like yo man I really need some food u got any extra money? 

TFJ    618

You would be better off trying to come up with something idiotic like Potato Salad, eating Chipotle..., squirrel study, space Tardis, Tesla museum, Reading rainbow

Like some of those are legit. But seriously society will pay for anyhing they find dumb/funny. More than people that actually need it.

»ACP    33421

I think that is exactly what he is saying ^ its probably easier to convince people to donate to support something they enjoy without mentioning that the money they put into supporting said thing will not actually go to benefiting/improving said thing. Like if a homeless dude asks for money he might wanna use it on drugs but he sure as fuck isn't gonna say give me drug money. He will probably say like yo man I really need some food u got any extra money? 

Did you read the OP?

This literally, "Hey, pay me to do math so that I can use the money to learn more math." How is that not directly benefiting/improving exactly what they are paying money for? How is the homeless man scenario even remotely similar? I'm not saying, "Hey, pay me money so I can buy drugs/hookers/guns."

I wasn't very optimistic about this idea to begin with now, but now I'm just confused why multiple people are acting like using the money on school is some shameful thing that people wouldn't want to know about. In America, we have the most expensive education in the world, and it's a serious problem that a lot of people need help with.

itswhatever    3286

I think that if you narrow your services down to 1 major one (a book on math's applications towards tcgs for example) and ask for donations in exchange for that, you would get a decent amount of money. If the people know that they are getting something of value in return, they would be willing to give you money. I think that the card game angle would yield more money than the tutoring approach. 

»ACP    33421

So I should narrow my focus is what you're saying?

• Upvote 1

»ACP    33421

Also, it would be very difficult to write anything beyond a few pages on math and TCGs. Probably less than 0.1% of the overall time I spend playing TCGs is doing math. There's a reason that I make a math post on DGZ once a year instead of once a week.

TFJ    618

Kickstarter : Fund me to go to Europe and sleep with girls using my google glass.

Be sure to post your picture.

Asia might work for pity?

• Upvote 3

Soul    7945
I've seen plenty of kids try to do this. They get nowhere. You also aren't offering that valuable of a service. Online resources are plentiful. If you exchanged private tutoring for donations, perhaps you'd be able to get somewhere, but at that point you might as well just find a regular tutoring gig and paying off subsequent loans. I think you already knew the answer to this question prior to you clicking post though. The answer is no, it's not very likely that you'll be able to crowd source 20k, probably not even a dollar.
  • Upvote 3

+scuzzlebutt    23495
id pledge a dollar
  • Upvote 1

»ACP    33421
Thanks guys. I'll just pay for my education through conventional means. I might pick up a few extra dollars from twitch donations, but I won't plan on doing some big project or anything.

+scuzzlebutt    23495
id pledge more than that too i just posted that to spite soul. Fuck it
  • Upvote 2

Facebook    70

Why not give it a shot anyways? What do you have to lose? I'm in a similar situation (I'm still in college) so I don't know if I can contribute a lot monetarily but I would be willing to help you out with logistics.

• Upvote 1

SSJ Grumpig    5620
you should offer a new service, like nude math tutoring. stream it