Sign in to follow this  
Ishe

Gym Progression

»Ishe    3

So, I'm going to start working out Monday - Fridays, and I need a meal plan for all 5 days, Im looking to lose weight at first or gain muscle and tone myself, I want like 2500 Calories in my day I can cut to 2000 if needed, and I want to eat Oatmeal for breakfast everyday, so yeah any help would be appreciated, cheers.

Starting Squat: 105lb / Current: 250lb

Starting Deadlift: 135lb / Current: 250lb

Starting Bench: 95lb / Current: 160lb

Current Goal: 25% Bodyfat to 15% Bodyfat by September 26th, 2016

End of the Year Goal: Squat: 250 -> 310

Deadlift 250 -> 310

Bench 160 -> 180

'i'm going to start a lifestyle change and rather than just ease it into it i'm gonna go balls deep and overwhelm myself'

• Upvote 1

but yeh eat normally use myfitnesspal and just track what you eat for the time being go the gym a bit too see how it goes maybe 5 times a week is a bit much for starters

Tingy    463

its generally quite easy. depending on your body type, mesomorphic, endomorphic or ectomorphic. 

Generally you'd wanna start with low-carb, high protein stuff. You said you wanted to lose weight and gain muscle so I'm gonna assume you're somewhere between mesomorphic and ectomorphic (putting you in the skinny fat category). 

Depending on your gym routine and your work/ lifestyle too. If you're doing high power- high intensity of course you'd want to load yourself with more carbs. 

Its quite easy to start off. Healthy stuff which u read everywhere like chicken breast, lean meats, fish bla la bla.

While trying to lose weight id advise you to start cutting off sugars. Keep carbs and fats (good fats) in reasonable amounts, as sugars is the worst. Also incorporate some cardio (maybe 10 minutes of treadmill after each workout at a speed of 11 or 12 as a starter and you could look into crossfit classes at the gym too if they have, dont believe the myth that crossfit is bad for you, its a high intensity exercise which can serve as a basis for increasing your strength) when starting off trying to lose weight, dont be a lazy bum and dont listen to those ripped guys who tell you "i dont need to do cardio!" its entirely different for them because they're already ribbed xD  

once u get ribbed and have a solid foundation u can start to implement IIFYM, and generally be more liberal with your eating as long as you consume within your macroeconomic range. 

Good luck duelist. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Aaron    2053

absolute bullshit.  I'm 10-12% body fat following my cut and I average 50g of sugar a day but have around 2 days a week when i kill off 120-150g of sugar because i love cheesecake, ice cream and frozen fruit and sometimes can't control myself. 

also FUCK low carb. unless you don't like carbs, DON'T LOW CARB. low carbs will destroy you mentally way before a low fat diet.  also forget the mention of moso/endo/mecto/flecto.. its all irrelevant. 

if you're bulking, i wouldn't incorporate cardio for the sake of body composition. only if you want good cardiovascular condition. if you're cutting, the key is to not do cardio until you HAVE to do cardio to lose weight. its a tool in your arsenal which you won't want to have to use until its needed for a sticking point. 

As Robyn and MGS said, use MFP.

Find out your macros.  If you want, I can provide you with a little bit of guidance and coaching for free with your dieting. You need to have a basic understanding of calories, macros and a deeper understanding of your own metabolism, how to adjust to it, how to push it and how to break through sticking points. 

I've 14 weeks into a cut (2-3 weeks off for illness just now) and can honestly recommend if you're cutting watch this: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAvW6xBZjSk

Its a contest prep coach who talks you through shit.

They key to a good cut is keeping your metabolism as high as is possible whilst still losing fat+weight and only using cardio when necessary and when you do use cardio, using as little as is possible because you want to save these tools for plateaus. otherwise when you do plateau, you can be fucked. 

I'd start at 3k and slowly move down till you're losing 1lb a week if you're relatively small. If you're fat, aim for 2lbs. 

If you want to bulk, track your calories at 3,000 calories a day. eat 1g/protein per lb of bodyweight per day and get the rest of your food from fat+carbs. keep your salt intake relatively constant and make sure you can poop everyday or every other day by getting adequate fiber. 

weigh yourself at the end of the week. 

if you've gained 1lb-2lb, well done. if you haven't gained weigh, up calories to 3,250 and repeat.

If you've lost weight, up to 3,500 calories.

If you've gained more than 2lb, cut down to 2900 and repeat. 

Basically titre your weight gain to the magic 1-2lb/week (preferably 1lb IMO), make sure salt is constant as possible to reduce water weight fluctuations and make sure fiber is good enough that you are pooping everyday. 

MONITOR YOUR WEIGHT. MONITOR WHAT YOU EAT.

I'm training 2 people at the moment. One does what I say and is making progress excellently. The other has ballooned up to a fat fuck because he refused to use MFP yet tried to count macros on fast foods like Pizza despite me telling him only trust fast food places which have pre-assigned portion sizes (like mcdonalds, BK) and not pizza places or even worse restaurants which require you to eyeball macros (an impossible task). 

• Upvote 1

»Ishe    3

'i'm going to start a lifestyle change and rather than just ease it into it i'm gonna go balls deep and overwhelm myself'

Nono, I want to ease into it, I can stop eating lots of food easily, but Im cutting a few of them out instead all together and regret doing what Im trying.

going to the gym 5 days a week and requesting an entire week's meal plan to follow is not easing in to it

monitor what you'd normally eat for a few weeks

this is all about understanding your own individual body and what you need to maintain/gain/lose weight

this is now your base load of what you live off on average

want to lose weight? eat a bit less than your average calculated over the monitoring period

continually do this while adjusting to your new caloric goals and macro percentages and you'll see results

want to gain weight/muscle? attend the gym, lift some stuff, don't worry about routines, and just eat a bit more than what your calculated average was over the monitoring period

still not gaining weight with the above? eat a bit more

• Upvote 1

DanLaMartina    278

Get used to going to the gym, worry about cleaning up the diet later. 

That's why 99% of people just get overwhelmed and give up. Do one thing at a time. If you are at least getting yourself involved in resistance weight training 4-6 days a week, you will see the scale start to drop. Even if you haven't changed your eating habits. 

Once you get into a solid routine of getting yourself to the gym every day and you are enjoying your workouts, then you can start thinking about different ways to clean up your diet based on your goals. Whether it's a "bro" diet or flexible dieting (IIFYM)

»Ishe    3

Ok, so an update on this, its been around one month since Ive been working out, almost two

Ive seen muscle growth, currently am 170 lb, and 5 foot and 8 inches tall, not sure why I thought eating shit while working out was good, but yeah Im fixing that now, Im looking at:

Breakfast: Quackers Apple and Cinnamon Oatmeal 

Lunch: Chicken Breast (100g) with Half a cup of Brown Rice

-Fruit Snack

Dinner: Chicken Breast (100g) with some carb(pasta)

I work out regularly every week now (Monday-Shoulders) (Tuesdays-Back//Deadlift) (Wednesdays-Arms) (Thursdays-Chest//Bench) (Friday-Legs)

I'm starting to run almost every day too 15-20 minutes no break, and of course I take Saturdays and Sundays off.

My goal is not a certain weight, its just to get ready of my belly fat, and from there muscle growth and after a while to cut, SO any tips on how I can lose the belly fat fast (1 month-ish)

TFJ    618
Swimsuit season is over, must be a wedding.

I went from 240 to 170, 15%ish bodyfat. Most people would probably say I'm pretty lean looking, but I can't fix of my belly fat, so I would be interested to see the answers.
Sites say you. can't really target an area to lose fat, just build muscle. So there is no workout to burn belly fat alone. It is usually the last place to lose.
Abs won't really show up until 10% or lower body fat.
For me getting below 170 is a plateau and my lifting is also plateud, but that is because I am trying to increase lifts without weight lol.

I don't know if anyone can help you or give you a secret. Like I said, I'm trying to lose fat there. Feels like once you have it it's there. Just need to keep your calories down while not screwing up your metabolism =/

Also, who the hell said run a Treadmill at 11/12. Unless that is metric, that is an insane speed for anyone, especially someone who looks to be new.
Even converted that is 7.5, which imo is very high. You didn't say how long to run. But a mile at that pace is ~8min certainly possible but not fun or easy.

Aaron    2053

ur not 15% if you are struggling with belly fat IMO. people underestimate their body fats so much. regardless congratulations!!  at a solid 15%, you should have minimal belly fat IMO. If you have belly fat / a gut which is obvious, you're probably a bit higher body fat wise but your tummy is just wear it stores everything. There is a way to change fat distribution but its random. It requires you to cut down to 9-10%. When you regain fat, you'll find the places sometimes change. its really weird.  

If you want to get lean but don't want to drop your calories, slowly refeed. Add 10-15 calories per day for 4-5 weeks and then slash them back down and I guarantee lbs will start flying off. 

I'm currently sitting at around 10% body fat and eating 2700 calories a day and not gaining a lb. Refeeding is ridiculous but its a HUGE commitment. you have to be anal with your calories but I think its worth it. I'm now in the position where I could probably hit single digits without going sub2k. However, I'm personally going to move into a bulk. 

This is all from a person who started at 1750 cut calories. 

»Ishe    3

Ok so I kind of stopped the gym cause of school, pretty mad right now, but I plan to go back, and now I have a meal plan, oh and I figured out my Body Fat % it's around 22-24%, I'm trying to cut down to 15 or less %

Anyways here's my plan(Thanks to those who linked me myfitnesspal) not this plan is for weight loss.

Daily Calorie Consumption: 1960

Daily Carbohydrates: 200g (I want to be on a low carb diet)

Daily Fats: 60g

Daily Protein: 140g

Breakfast: Oatmeal, Nuts, Milk

Lunch: Turkey Sandwich, Whole Wheat Bread, Protein Bar

Snack(s): Fruit

Dinner: Chicken Breast, Brown Rice

I'm currently 178, Im looking to drop to 160 or in the 160s

Also I'd like to have this answered, Will drinking Green Tea affect my negatively if I drink it on a daily basis? What side effects would it have?

TFJ    618
Are you saying you want to change your carbs to lower? 200g ifs not low carb by most definitions.

What type of Green tea.
Imo it will have no effect. If it fits your macros then take it if you want.
A bunch of sites will say GT is healthy. It helps you burn fat. All that junk. Really don't believe those claims, drink it if you like it.
If you are worried about the caffeine, then don't be lol. I haven't heard of any negatives from GT.

I drank the premade GT with honey before. Really it was just a drink. The honey added calories that I didn't like so I cut it. Warm cheap GTs just taste meh, but if you want 0 cals and don't like water.

»Ishe    3

Are you saying you want to change your carbs to lower? 200g ifs not low carb by most definitions.

yeah lol I checked recently, I'm probably going to cut it slightly or largely, going to start this on Monday, and do a 6 day week.

TFJ    618
Nutrition is very understudied. But a recent report stated you burn more actual fat with a low fat diet vs a low carb diet.
Of course I am sure there are a ton of studies that will say the opposite.

Aaron    2053

if you are training reasonably intensely, always go for high carb, mod protein, mod/low fat IMO. You need about 0.8g protein per lb of bodyweight. Shoot for 0.9 or 1.0 to be safe (miscalculating on a day). 

If you have aspirations to look like a fitness model/mens physique standard, I'd recommend just doing a quick mini-cut for 6 weeks and then reversing into a bulk slowly if you're not packing the muscle mass required. You'll go from being skinny fat to being skinny. Both are pretty shit. 

At 178, I believe you should be starting on way higher calories.. something in the region of 2250-3000 unless you've fucked up your metabolism by under-eating (don't worry its fixable). 

»Ishe    3

I use muscle chef they just send me my food. Fuck food prep.

I dont want to pay for that shit even though food prep takes a while

Also updated it, Im at 150g Carbs, and 160g Protein

»Paxman    4776

It works out at $8 a meal... and like... you pay for food either way. I come out ahead in the long run which is why I use it. Hell I even buy a month's worth of questbars and I still come out ahead.

»Paxman    4776

But I respect that you don't wanna buy premade meals. I hate prep, it makes me stop dieting.

Aaron    2053

I use muscle chef they just send me my food. Fuck food prep.

I dont want to pay for that shit even though food prep takes a while

Also updated it, Im at 150g Carbs, and 160g Protein

way too low.

I'm on 450c, 85 fat just to give you an idea on macros.

I made the same mistake you did in terms of cutting. Reverse diet until our carbs are around 350, then shed them to 300 or 275. 

»Ishe    3

Ok I changed my plan again

2500 Calories

67g Fat

255g Carbs

200g Protein