MZAAZM

Newgioh Format Thread

+Mascis    4373
On 5/16/2016 at 11:47 AM, Ynusgridorh said:

Even though I've never played Newgioh, looking back, it was a good idea and a format that deserved to exist.

One thing I didn't understand is the banlist rotation. If the format is bad, it should be fixed as soon as possible. If it's good, just leave it as it is until you find something better. You might have found the perfect format one day.

the original idea was based around how mtg composes it's standard format. 

we started with goats, then added some cards to the goat format card pool and adjusted the f&l list to accommodate. then over the next few months the goal was to add more cards into the format, at whatever number, so that the the format didn't grow stale too quickly. 

it's not that the format was bad, there were just goals we were trying to achieve with each addition of new cards to the pool. it's a shame that players were reluctant to adjust to the shifting card pool.

the final list was side-step so to speak. refresh the concept but not have new cards added every three months. try to make the format more "eternal" and let the players have a chance to breath. this list, however, just never took off. 

Anteaus44    12
On 5/18/2016 at 9:22 AM, Mascis said:

the original idea was based around how mtg composes it's standard format. 

we started with goats, then added some cards to the goat format card pool and adjusted the f&l list to accommodate. then over the next few months the goal was to add more cards into the format, at whatever number, so that the the format didn't grow stale too quickly. 

it's not that the format was bad, there were just goals we were trying to achieve with each addition of new cards to the pool. it's a shame that players were reluctant to adjust to the shifting card pool.

the final list was side-step so to speak. refresh the concept but not have new cards added every three months. try to make the format more "eternal" and let the players have a chance to breath. this list, however, just never took off. 

I introduced the concept to my friends after getting them into Goat Format. Newgioh seemed, to me, like a really interesting in-between format that focused on keeping the game more "goat like" and slower than modern Yu-Gi-Oh! but with new cards and interactions. Unfortunately, my friends simply saw it as a timesink that took away from their preparations for local/regional events in modern since we're already splitting time between Goats and modern as-is. Has anyone else simply said they don't have the time or incentive to play it? Because to me it seems like that would be a big reason not to invest in another format, especially one whose metagame is essentially "untested" in comparison to other past formats such as Goats, Chaos Return, Troop Dup, etc.

+Mascis    4373
51 minutes ago, Anteaus44 said:

I introduced the concept to my friends after getting them into Goat Format. Newgioh seemed, to me, like a really interesting in-between format that focused on keeping the game more "goat like" and slower than modern Yu-Gi-Oh! but with new cards and interactions. Unfortunately, my friends simply saw it as a timesink that took away from their preparations for local/regional events in modern since we're already splitting time between Goats and modern as-is. Has anyone else simply said they don't have the time or incentive to play it? Because to me it seems like that would be a big reason not to invest in another format, especially one whose metagame is essentially "untested" in comparison to other past formats such as Goats, Chaos Return, Troop Dup, etc.

well, i agree with you there that there was little incentive to play the format, as there wasn't any viewable support at local stores. We had a google maps displayed that noted locals which supported newgioh games, but there we never found out if those locals actually ran events. well, one local in europe contacted us, but that's about it. 

we had the one ARG event in NJ that was successful. then there was supposed to be another newgioh event at an ARG in Philly, but it never launched. It's really hard to say that there was no incentive to play. you need people who want to play and people who willing to host events with support, and these people need to be vocal about it.

also the format isn't actually as "untested" as you think it was. we tested every card addition pretty throughly. at the same time, we didn't have the ability to actually print cards that did things that we wanted since we weren't Konami. you could kinda just tell what card went where. the only thing you really needed to test for was match-ups, but even then it was pretty easy to discern what each deck was attempting to do.

Anteaus44    12
2 minutes ago, Mascis said:

well, i agree with you there that there was little incentive to play the format, as there wasn't any viewable support at local stores. We had a google maps displayed that noted locals which supported newgioh games, but there we never found out if those locals actually ran events. well, one local in europe contacted us, but that's about it. 

we had the one ARG event in NJ that was successful. then there was supposed to be another newgioh event at an ARG in Philly, but it never launched. It's really hard to say that there was no incentive to play. you need people who want to play and people who willing to host events with support, and these people need to be vocal about it.

also the format isn't actually as "untested" as you think it was. we tested every card addition pretty throughly. at the same time, we didn't have the ability to actually print cards that did things that we wanted since we weren't Konami. you could kinda just tell what card went where. the only thing you really needed to test for was match-ups, but even then it was pretty easy to discern what each deck was attempting to do.

Good points. Having never played in the format I can't really say whether or not it was "untested," I guess. My bad. I was more thinking of when it comes to deckbuilding, what kinds of things to watch out for and include and, as you said, needing to test for specific matchups. I would have loved to have played but I'm on the west coast and events in NJ and Philly really aren't accessible to me, sadly. Shame there isn't more support out here! 

And let's face it, in this community it's hard to get people to agree on what should and should not be included in a given format. Any time a new banlist drops in modern you have this polarization happen in the community it seems, where some people like it, some hate it, etc. Hell there's still not a complete consensus on which Goat format is better among the three that are played right now.

+Mascis    4373

*wasn't more support. Newgioh is done

On 6/8/2015 at 10:08 PM, MZAAZM said:

UPDATE to LIST:

To 0: Armed Samurai – Ben Kei; Dimension Fusion; Last Turn

To 1: Giant Trunade; Reasoning; Trap Dustshoot

To 2: Breaker the Magical Warrior; Rescue Cat, Cold Wave

Most of these choices are fair.  As a corollary of the choices on the Forbidden List, Self-Destruct Button should get a hit too.  I'd limit Book of Taiyou and The Shallow Grave just to rule out Empty Jar entirely.  

Not sure who is running 3 Cold Waves, but why not.

Breaker at 2 is interesting.  I'm assuming it's a way to handle burn/stall/tsukulock decks.  However, it does make Sakuretsu Armor underpowered, so I'm unsure.  Additionally, most people will run the 2nd Breaker so it reduces the discretionary deck size.

Exiled Force should be Unlimited since it's a balanced (if not underpowered) card.  The only deck type it would truly punish is stall, and good riddance.

Lightning Vortex at 2 is also a potential idea.  It's a balanced out to Zoo and Chaos.

Edited by banefulscolumn
  • Upvote 1

+ACP+    34005

Why are you responding to a post from 2 years ago. This is a dead format lol.

• Upvote 2

Mustang    15

In the Forged Rebellion format, Dimensional Prison was introduced at 3 to help spellcasters and goat control deal with the zombie and beast onslaught.

2 Breakers was pretty fun and really rewarded the player who could make the right reads

It would be interesting if a Newgioh Goat Format had an expanded card pool to add diversity.  In my case, I boosted Zombies, WATER, Plants, Insects, Machines, Harpies and Gravekeepers.  My only rule in choosing this list was "no Synchro/XYZ/Pendulum".

Limited: Mezuki, Gravekeeper's Descendant, Atlantean Dragoons, Mormolith, Lonefire Blossom, Pollinosis, Dandylion

Semi-Limited: Goblin Zombie, Zombie Master, Gravekeeper's Commandant, Gravekeeper's Recruiter, Cyber Phoenix, Icarus Attack, Mark of the Rose, Miracle Fertilizer, Lair Wire.

Unlimited: Victory Viper XX03, Blue Thunder T-45, Twister, Spined Gillman, Armed Sea Hunter, Abyssal Kingshark, Hysteric Party, Harpie Queen, Tytannial Princess of Camellia, Botanical Lion, Violet Witch, Wall of Thorns, Doom Dozer, Gokipon, Saber Beetle, Cross-Sword Beetle, Verdant Sanctuary.

Edited by banefulscolumn

x6tence    0

Is this not essentially Duel Links? I get that Duel Links is faster because of how it was designed, but it's kind of cool to see how they re-introduced an entire game around it similar to this.