MZAAZM

Newgioh Format Thread

481 posts in this topic

Yeah abyss soldier is the nuts with serpent being so easy to search

Id cut down on those normal summons farestar, dark mimc is like a jar of greed you need to normal summon....and be destroyed by battle through opponents interaction. A deck like yours would thrive with trap dustshoot.

Working on this spellcaster build: advice most welcome. I think 1 brain control would be good. 

fIsW4fZ.png

Will you really be able to summon the Sorc? How do you manage to have the first Light down the grave?

I think Skilled WHITE Magician replacing Skilled Dark Magician may do the work, unless everyone just play Sorc everywhere

what do you mean "moving towards" 

if you're a competent player you're not shoving extra tgu targets in your deck for no reason 

^You don't say?

But people are using x3 TGU as a reason for putting more lvl3 fiends in.   The most efficient use of deck space could very well turn out to be bare bones x3 TGU and Sangan.  x3 TGU doesn't require you to run any other targets other than Sangan because she can summon herself - having 2 TGU in hand, while unfortunate, just isn't something worth gameplanning for.  I may be biased in that I've played a load of chaos plants - but from what I've experienced, there just isn't a need for mimics/desrooks/night assailants (unless its Chaos Turbo - and even then, you can just search your sangan for sinister now).  1 sangan with 3 TGU does pretty much the same thing as if you had included extra targets.

I honestly think getting rid of Duo did away with a really important paradox that Storm and Duo created(where you can't set 2 s/t's or more s/t's than your opponent but if you keep key s't's in hand you lose to Duo or Faith->Duo). There's not really any reason to set more than 1 s/t per turn considering otk's are so rare and require quite a bit of set up. If that one set is versatile enough you can exert a great deal of control over the game, having a way to disrupt your opponent every turn. 

Book of Moon exemplifies that kind of versatility because on top of being chainable it can be used to advance your gamestate in a variety of ways such as reusing flip effect monsters, stop attacks, dealing with TER etc. Tour Guide at 3 I believe makes Compulsory even better than Book in terms of versatility, and seems generally more powerful mainly because it can be used to generate advantage more reliably by allowing you to reuse Tour Guide and Breaker. It can be similarly used to disrupt all the things BoM disrupts and more. You can out TER, reuse a flip monster, save a set from NoC, save a monster from Tribe/PWWB, bounce your opponent's normal summon or set, combos with Dustshoot/reaper/mind crush, bounce back your Snatch'd monster and more. Between Book, Compulsory, Controller, and Judgment the opponent can be disrupted in a variety of ways every turn and in this format it is difficult to make multiple plays per turn if you aren't allowed to set up, so the opponent is usually open for a direct attack which makes TGU very powerful.

Dark Mimic is really just there because you will get multiple uses off TGU and he's the best TGU target other than Sangan. I really don't understand why people play something as slow and useless as Night Assailant whose effect is irrelevant when summoned off TGU and is only useful when you draw rather than summon him. Mimic abuses the fact that everyone is playing TGU because if they get Sangan it means you can use your TGU to grab Mimic and(like Sangan) crash him into their TGU for a +1, another reason Compulsory seems staple to me is because it can not only prevent them from crashing Sangan into your TGU but also its lets you reuse that TGU. Mimic is also useful when drawn especially while under Skill Drain.

I guess the fix for that would be to increase the number of Breaker in the format. It helps punish conservative setting, but isn't as cancerous as duo

what makes you think there needs to be a punish? 

| don't think the duo thing is that relevant tbh, sure there are game states in goats where you're avoiding duo, but they're really not that common and duo isn't anything like a major counterweight to heavy storm at all.

And like, why do you think the game needs this paradox in the first place?  Idk why you NEED to go out of your way to create paradoxes really.  

what makes you think there needs to be a punish? 

| don't think the duo thing is that relevant tbh, sure there are game states in goats where you're avoiding duo, but they're really not that common and duo isn't anything like a major counterweight to heavy storm at all.

And like, why do you think the game needs this paradox in the first place?  Idk why you NEED to go out of your way to create paradoxes really.  

I think the allure of the "paradox" (it's actually more of a fork than a paradox, but w/e) is that you get to pick what you lose to and creating extra decisions, in the abstract, tends to make a format more skill-intensive. If I have a hand that lose particularly hard to Duo/Heavy, and play around 1 more than the other due to that awareness , then I exercised a skill to create a more favorable gamestate for myself, EV wise, which wouldn't be the case where the paradox didn't exist. The problem being that additional decisions based on potential outcomes introduces some added variance as well.

Duo is pretty much in every scenario a degenerate card which requires little investment for a huge gain (I feel almost the same way about pot of greed too).  If you are playing around Duo (however skillful it is) you are still at a disadvantage by comitting to the board when it is not time to do so.   I'd also like to add that you can't actually reliably play around it in the middle/early game either because most of the time a player is going to draw it and not pick it up from the graveyard or Merchant. 

In regular goats you play around storm by setting less anyway. What many players apparently still don't get is there is no point in setting extra protection early as there is no crazy threat to protect from and you are more likely to have your stuff destroyed one way or another. Those power traps are way more valuable late game regardless of the legality of duo. The best early sets are (1) scapegoat, (2) dust tornado after they have set a s/t, (3) Nothing

Doing nothing is the most powerful, underrated play in goats. It allows you to respond with force to a cheap shot when the opponent thinks you are vulnerable, but it's all mind games and you have a meta or snatch in hand.

The best way to play around duo is to counter manual reuse of magicians of faith. Attack and eliminate facedown monsters as soon as you can, always. I would rather get duo'd than over commit to the board. The only exception is when you have 2 cards in hand at end of the turn, or you know for a fact they have duo.

I really wish Worm Lynx was a card in this thing

Been trying to make the most viable OTK deck just to see what it would look like. Given stein is banned and taiyou is at one, it's either going to be Ben Kai, Rescue Cat, or something like this:

fuu4xWx.png

The side is really cute bc it goes into Cyber End OTK via Koitsu. Nobody would think to call 10 off Reasoning. Any idiot with half a brain in g1 should call 8 off Reasoning going in blind to what I'm playing, but surprisingly few people did in testing.

Hence why any format with Metamorphosis legal should not allow Cyber End or Cyber Twin imo.

PS I tested Magical Explosion but it drew away from the main focus of the deck.

In regular goats you play around storm by setting less anyway. What many players apparently still don't get is there is no point in setting extra protection early as there is no crazy threat to protect from and you are more likely to have your stuff destroyed one way or another. Those power traps are way more valuable late game regardless of the legality of duo. The best early sets are (1) scapegoat, (2) dust tornado after they have set a s/t, (3) Nothing

Doing nothing is the most powerful, underrated play in goats. It allows you to respond with force to a cheap shot when the opponent thinks you are vulnerable, but it's all mind games and you have a meta or snatch in hand.

The best way to play around duo is to counter manual reuse of magicians of faith. Attack and eliminate facedown monsters as soon as you can, always. I would rather get duo'd than over commit to the board. The only exception is when you have 2 cards in hand at end of the turn, or you know for a fact they have duo.

when i played you and it came down to the idea of  both of us doing nothing, it pretty much became who would draw the bls and otk lol

I think the idea of doing nothing can be applied to the game in general, since you want your opponent to semi-commit to a board.

I mean doing nothing early by choice, not doing nothing because you literally can't do anything. Big difference.

I think Jazz is right in what he is getting at. There are players who used to (and still do) kinda autopilot the early game with like a T-set and then fall victim to a t1 breaker (putting them in an awful spot). Better players in GOATS really consider what they commit to the board and if there really is any incentive to do so (which as was pointed out, rarely is due to the fact that the format lacks the power cards necessary to create such a scenario ie multiple special summons). Without any incentive to do so, all you are doing is leaving your resources open to be destroyed. 

I built the best deck and now the event is going to be all mirrors.

I would agree with you but I actually have the best deck ;)   (|:|)

gbs didn't come out until 2007

For the context of this event - I did. It went from there being 3 DFusions in the room to 45

is there a list or are we playing the I got le sekrit tech game?

is there a list or are we playing the I got le sekrit tech game?

when is any 'relevant' ygo player not playing this game

hopefully in a format where the only real goal is to have fun?

Ned, Furman and I played my deck. I lost R1 - in some part to my own mistake. But Ned had a quick 5-0 and Furman went 4-1.

hopefully in a format where the only real goal is to have fun?

you're deluded if you think the majority of the people here are focused on having fun LOL 

that has never been a duelist's true intentions 

DN:  [Vampiric]Kulkulkan  If I'm on, I'm wanting to play.