Dank Memeston

Pendulum Master

Dank Memeston    1715

So I guess I'm late to the party with all of this Magician shit but I didn't see a topic in the Single section or here or in the structure deck topic so if there is one already I'll go there. Otherwise, here it is:

I was designing a Pendulum-based deck yesterday/today since they caught my eye while looking to see if Hieratics got anything cool (they didn't lol) and so I decided these were the best cards to go by:

Aether, the Wicked Empowering Dragon

Dragoknight Luster Pendulum

Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon

Rescue Hamster

Eccentric Archfiend

Dragonox and Dragodies the Empowered Warriors

Magical Abductor

Insight Magician + Synthesis Magician

The main idea of the deck was to abuse the ability of Odd-Eyes and others to eventually spam a crap-load of Pendulums. The deck had a lot of flexibility and could OTK while also just slowly netting "advantage". My original deck list played some number of all of those but soon-after the new Magicians randomly popped up which lead me to a nice high. (like when I read Sarkhan Unbroken...)

There are 7 new possibly relevant main-deck cards:

Dragon's Vein Magician

Normal Earth Spellcaster Level 4

Pendulum Effect (1/1)

Once per turn, if you have a "Magician" card in your other Pendulum Zone: You can discard 1 Pendulum Monster, then target 1 face-up monster on the field; destroy it.

1800/900

Dragon's Lair Magician

Normal Water Spellcaster Level 7

Pendulem Effect (8/8)

Once per turn, if you have a "Magician" card in your other Pendulum Zone: You can discard 1 Pendulum Monster, then target 1 Spell/Trap Card on the field; destroy it.

700/2600

Superior Dragon Magician

Effect Fire Spellcaster Level 3

Pendulum Effect (5/5)

If you have no "Magician" cards in your other Pendulum Zone, destroy this card.

Monster Effect
If this card is in your hand or Graveyard: You can target 1 Level 7 or higher "Odd-Eyes" monster you control; reduce its Level by 3, and if you do, Special Summon this card. Cannot be used as a Synchro Material, except for the Synchro Summon of a Dragon-Type Synchro Monster. If this card is used for a Synchro Summon, and the other Synchro Material(s) is not an "Odd-Eyes" monster, place this card on the bottom of the Deck.
700/1400

Inferior Dragon Magician
Effect Wind Spellcaster Level 6
Pendulum Effect (2/2)
If you have a "Magician" card in your other Pendulum Zone: You can add 1 face-up "Magician" or "Odd-Eyes" Pendulum Monster from your Extra Deck to your hand, except Inferior Dragon Magician". You can only use this effect of "Inferior Dragon Magician" once per turn.

Monster Effect
If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can target 1 "Magician" Pendulum Monster or 1 "Odd-Eyes" monster in your Graveyard, except "Inferior Dragon Magician"; add it to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Inferior Dragon Magician" once per turn.

2100/1400

Performapal Skullcrobat Joker

Effect Dark Spellcaster Level 4

Pendulum Effect (8)

You cannot Pendulum Summon monsters, except "Performapal" monsters, "Magician" Pendulum Monsters, and "Odd-Eyes" monsters. This effect cannot be negated.

Monster Effect
When this card is Normal Summoned: You can add 1 "Performapal" monster, 1 "Magician" Pendulum Monster, or 1 "Odd-Eyes" monster from your Deck to your hand, except "Performapal Skullcrobat Joker".
1800/100

Arc in the Sky
Field Spell
"Magician", "Performapal", and "Odd-Eyes" cards in your Pendulum Zones cannot be targeted by an opponent's card effects. You can target 1 other face-up card you control; destroy it, and if you do, add 1 "Odd-Eyes" card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Arc in the Sky" once per turn.

Pendulum Call
Normal Spell
If you have not activated the Pendulum Effect of a "Magician" Pendulum Monster previously this turn: Discard 1 card; add 2 "Magician" Pendulum Monsters with different names from your Deck to your hand, also "Magician" cards in your Pendulum Zones cannot be destroyed by card effects until the end of your opponent's next turn. You can only activate 1 "Pendulum Call" per turn.

There are also 2 new Extra Deck Monsters included:

Odd-Eyes Meteorburst Dragon
Synchro Fire Dragon Level 7
When this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 card in your Pendulum Zone; Special Summon it, but this card cannot attack for the rest of this turn. You can only use this effect of "Odd-Eyes Meteorburst Dragon" once per turn. Your opponent cannot activate monster effects during the Battle Phase.
2500/2000

Odd-Eyes Absolute Dragon
Xyz Water Dragon Rank 7
2 Level 7 monsters
When any player's monster declares an attack: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; negate the attack, then you can Special Summon 1 "Odd-Eyes" monster from your hand or Graveyard. If this Xyz Summoned card is sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 "Odd-Eyes" monster from your Extra Deck, except "Odd-Eyes Absolute Dragon". You can only use each effect of "Odd-Eyes Absolute Dragon" once per turn.
2800/2500

First, let us see what these new cards bring to the table. Vein and Lair are both new normal pendulum monsters and both have a unique and strong effect which allows them to be fairly splashable, given the correct circumstances. The most to take away from here is that Lair is the first unconditional 8 scale Pendulum monster to date. This matters a fair bit as it allows you to bring back the infamous Odd-Eyes which coincidentally can search for Lair himself, although not Vein. Superior is quite restrictive on a few fronts which makes it not to splashable BUT it is quite easy to play with. Clearly the ability to special summon it from the grave is supposed to pair with Vein and Lair which helps its case. Synchroing otherwise is still completely fine since the only alternative is very restrictive and because most of the best synchros are dragons. Inferior seems quite strong in the Magician deck but I wonder how many I actually wish to play. Rank 6's are decent and both of his abilities are strong, along with his scale pairing nicely with Lair, but he doesn't do much without someone to start things off. Joker will definitely help to push this deck forward, if at all, even with his downside, which isn't much of one at all in a dedicated deck. 

Both spells are playable but do not offer anything but consistency. Arc is stronger in some matchups for its passive but otherwise the only card you will be fetching with it, at least atm, is Pendulum Dragon and MAYBE a Sabre if it comes to that. Call easily sets the bars but does not do much else. (although it can pair well with Excition) Clearly both a very playable and I suppose I am asking a bit much of them so I guess it is quite the opinion, especially with so little testing done at all.

Both extra deck cards are decent, the Xyz being the weaker of the two as there are so many alternatives. Nonetheless Absolute can stand well on its own and definitely deserves testing. On the other hand, Metoer brings something new to the table, which is field spam. It easily sets up for a rank 7 with Lair and sometimes Odd which cannot be found in most of the other level 7's, whom are mainly suited for control or disruption. 

Now let's take see what cards might have fallen out of favor or improved:

Empowered Warriors: With all the new tutoring these certainly aren't nearly as efficient or sticky as they could have been. Certainly little reason to use either BUT for their Pendulum abilities which both have utility, although the attack halver seems strictly better.

Aether: With a lack of Warriors this card is now only played for its on summon ability which means you are leaving out half of its potential. It may just be more efficient to run none.

Abductor: like with any other tutor, this card has become a poor and cloggy option. Definitely has some utility with Veiler and Droll so keep that in mind.

Synthesis Magician: barely playable before, now it is just strictly worse then Lair.

Insight Magician: this card gained the most from this as tutoring is obviously strong. As I said before, exploding into the extra is a very key mechanic for this deck, and now this card has 0 downsides to doing so. A key interaction to note is that you can fetch Inferior off this who can then grab this back to your hand... COMBOSSSS.

Odd-Eyes: Since the deck has now become more stream-lined this card's utility ability is considerably stronger now, especially since it can fetch Insight as well as the aforementioned Lair. Playing tech cards, like possibly one or the other of the Empowered Warriors, is a lot less feelbad now.

Now that we have figured out the impact of this new set of cards let us look at some support cards to go with the general idea of the deck:

Dragonknight Luster Pendulum: already listed but to make sure people understand this card's strengths, which it has 2 of. First is that it destroys your Pendulums to get more to fuel your plays. Certainly his scale of 5 does make things awkward when you want to summon level 6 and 7 monsters but most of the time 3 or 5 level 4's will be good enough. His other ability is to be able to synchro into and fuel Explosive Dragonknight Ignister Prominence (effect below) who both fuels even more pendulums in the extra and can play defensive as well with the removal.

Synchro Fire Dragon Level 8 

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner Pendulum Monsters
Once per turn: You can target 1 Pendulum Monster on the field or 1 card in either player's Pendulum Zone; destroy it, and if you do, shuffle 1 card on the field into the Deck. Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 "Dragoknight" monster from your Deck in Defense Position, but it cannot be used as a Synchro Material.
2850/0

Eccentric Archfiend: this card is part of the glue that helps this deck stick together. It has 2 modes of removal and can keep doing it even time you pendulum it out. It is searchable with Odd and it's scale is not bad. Certainly the ability to use both effects in one turn is strong as well.

Rescue Hamster: With 9+ pendulums that can set him up on turn 1, this card is incredibly playable. Definitely a very strong option to have.

Pot of Riches: This card is slightly iffy as its downside is relevant but it's upsides, drawing and recycling, are quite strong. It's restrictions might just deem it a bit too inefficient.

Swaying Gaze: My go-to over Arc for 2 reasons; 1 is that it can hit your opponent's pendulums as well, and 2 is that it can tutor ANY pendulum. It also clears your entire side which helps to give you more options for your pendulum lines of play.

Empowering Armory: This is definitely an option to look into if you want to consider playing Aether and/or the Empowered Warriors but it is kind of awkward since it's second ability is not connected well with pendulums, although its first and Lair/Vein can help. (as well as Xyz) This definitely is not strong enough to push you in that direction by itself.

Ebon Illusion Magician: level sevens are easy to come by in this deck so naturally as would this. You actually get to use his abilities here with both Lair and Vein which definitely pushes this over the edge for me. Definitely a strong extra deck card not to forget.

Some other options you may want to consider would be cards like Upstart and Duality to thin it out as well as Honest for the surprise and then threat. Rescue Rabbit is definitely playable in here although the fact you only have 3 of the 1 card it can get in the deck makes in a little worse but regardless it should be easy enough to xyz away. The last card would be Secret Village of the Spellcasters which seems like it could be a blowout in some matchups (I don't know much about the meta in TCG or OCG atm) as well as being searchable by Terraforming. (which also gets Dragon Ravine, Armory and Arc)

Here is my decklist as it currently stands:

[spoiler]hHi3VhP.png[/spoiler]

3 Dragon's Lair Magician
3 Dragon's Vein Magician
3 Inferior Dragon Magician
1 Superior Dragon Magician
3 Insight Magician
3 Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon
3 Performapal Skullcrobat Joker
3 Eccentric Archfiend
3 Rescue Hamster
3 Dragoknight Luster Pendulum
1 Dragodies, the Empowered Warrior

3 Mystical Space Typhoon
3 Pot of Riches
3 Swaying Gaze

1 Torrential Tribute
1 Ring of Destruction

-

1 Blackrose Moonlight Dragon
1 Clear Wing Synchro Dragon
1 Odd-Eyes Meteorburst Dragon
2 Explosive Dragoknight Ignister Prominence

1 Constellar Hyades
1 Abyss Dweller
2 Castel, the Skybuster Muskateer
1 Evilswarm Exciton Knight
1 Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon
1 Constellar Ptolemy M7
1 Odd-Eyes Rebellion Dragon
1 Ebon Illusion Magician
1 Mecha Phantom Beast Dracossack

The deck seems to play pretty well so far although it is far from polished.
  • Upvote 1

byak    4478
I think any deck that plays Skullcrobat Joker should be using Performapal Pendulum Wizard. Being able to Pendulum Summon and then search Joker is insane considering how crucial of a normal summon he is. You don't even have to play other Performapals since you can go pop 1 search 1 with Wizard's effect. Pendulum Wizard is also arguably one of the strongest Odd-Eyes targets.

+Satchmo    3211

I think Pendulum call is just outright too important not to play, especially when you're playing triple swaying gaze as what appears to be a substitute for it

I think any deck that plays Skullcrobat Joker should be using Performapal Pendulum Wizard. Being able to Pendulum Summon and then search Joker is insane considering how crucial of a normal summon he is. You don't even have to play other Performapals since you can go pop 1 search 1 with Wizard's effect. Pendulum Wizard is also arguably one of the strongest Odd-Eyes targets.

In combination with Dracoslayer P, you get a really cool combo with Pendulum Wizard

in hand Dracoslayer +Skulljoker/Pendulum wizard

>Normal Joker get wizard (if necessary)

>Set Dracoslayer and Wizard as scales

>Dracoslayer effect, pop Wizard search a second Wizard

>Set new wizard as scale

>P summon Wizard from extra

>Wizard to pop other Wizard and Dracoslayer in p Zones to search 2 more SkullJokers

>Overlay rank 4

byak    4478
You have to search Performapals with different names for Wizard, but yeah that combo is broken. Wizard also sets up hilarious OTK instances when you use him as a scale and have gone through all three of your Jokers.

I also agree that Arc and Call are essential in this deck.

Another idea that has popped up in my mind is playing Veiler/Bulb to make easy Ignisters with level 7 pendulums. I don't know how reliable Bulb would be but playing Veiler seems like a really good option.

+Satchmo    3211

When I was playing with the deck, I had the same Idea, since I was reminded of the Ruler formats. Using Veiler to make Ignister or Spark Dragon came pretty frequently, and using Ghost Ogre to make 7s like Michael/Yazi/Cear-Wing was also relevant

byak    4478
The only problem is the extra deck space, in my opinion. Playing Odd-Eyes Fusion with Odd-Eyes Vortex Dragon seems correct, and for that setup to be optimal you need to be playing an Odd-Eyes Rebellion Dragon and most likely a second Meteorburst Dragon. On top of that, you need Ignister(s), four rank 7's, Black Rose, Moonlight, and rank 4's, so it's very difficult to find room for every card.

Careyious    21

Have you considered running 3 "Pendulum Call" since it can essentially turn any dead card into 2 useful Magicians (i.e immediately setting up a pendulum summon). The only limitation is you can't activate the effect of a Magician pendulum monster before activation, so you have use it before you do anything, which isn't the worst limitation, it just requires you to think a bit ahead. 

Dank Memeston    1715

So over the past dayish I have tested a more vanilla version of the deck:

[spoiler]8te94lB.png[/spoiler]

I understand why you might like Arc, it is decent and has play vs. MST and the likes but imo it is a minus you may not want to afford. I wouldn't mind playing it in a Terraforming package but I would never want to have 2 in hand, even with Call to discard it. 100% a sideable card in some situations, but otherwise this card is sort of mediocre.

Also today, the ORG posted somelists of OCG decks, one of which was Clownfuck which I had never heard of before but it seems neat. The other was Magicians which wasn't surprising at all. Most of their lists were the same but one was playing 3 Terra and 3 Chicken Race and 3 Arc which I thought was neat. Also, this card:

[spoiler]MistValleyApexAvian-HA02-EN-ScR-1E.jpg[/spoiler]

What the deck was truly lacking before was a turn 1 play and this is a card that was nigh unplayable before now so I can see why we didn't think of it. Only played one game so far but it is pretty neat.

Here is the Org lists:

http://ygorganization.com/ocg-06222015-ocg-japan-and-china-decklists/

This is my current deck atm:

[spoiler]7SX5ayv.png[/spoiler]

I added Aether back in because I wanted to focus more on the OTK and a backup to that, which this card provides in either way the disruption needed to win and/or take over. Still needs more testing though as it may just be winmore. As I said earlier, I did try the Magician deck which still did well but what I found was that I forgot about PEndulum Call's indestructible clause... which basically slows down the deck a whole turn as Sway and Dragoknight and Insight and Arc (on pends) and Perf Wizard  can do jack shit. You essentially timewalk yourself to add just a bit of consistency which can be completely fine but I would rather win on turn 3/4 then 5/6... :/

Also I still can't read cards correctly and didn't know Odd-Eyes Xyz needed an Xyz as a material to kill everything... so not worth it. lol Also, I am still not sure on the ratio of Magician's but I do believe the way the Jpns are playing it with only 1 Vein may be correct.

I agree that Wizard is strong but I'm not sure I want to go there with this version of the deck. It is just too 'cute' imo and I'd only want it to kill a Dragonknight. Being 'cute' is also the reason I cut Superior... just never really wanted it. I guess I could just Aether or something for some number of hand traps, do you guys have any lists of your own atm? How has it been testing?

DukeLukewarm    121
Don't cut Antithesis.
Solid scale, highest ATK out of any Magician, and his monster effect stops Manju, Senju, Ptolemaeus, Tellars' entire deck... quite strong.

petqwe    286

As in this deck? Are the OCG folk brewing something beyond our wildest imagination? @ @

I haven't, but some people had or will have

Ah, and Apex Avian was a good find. I somehow missed the days when I lost to this stupid card...

byak    4478
After extensively playing this deck I don't think it would ever be correct to not play Wizard. Opening the Dracoslayer + Wizard combo is way too good.

On sort of a tangent, I've been playing the deck without Magicians and just focusing on Joker + Wizard + Lizard and all of the generic pendulum stuff to get a huge amount of card advantage as quickly as possible. I'm not sure if it's better than the Magicians deck, but so far there haven't been too many bad hands. Magical Abductor is also a pretty insane card as well, along with Frontline Observer if you have the space.

Catasterism    400

After extensively playing this deck I don't think it would ever be correct to not play Wizard. Opening the Dracoslayer + Wizard combo is way too good.

On sort of a tangent, I've been playing the deck without Magicians and just focusing on Joker + Wizard + Lizard and all of the generic pendulum stuff to get a huge amount of card advantage as quickly as possible. I'm not sure if it's better than the Magicians deck, but so far there haven't been too many bad hands. Magical Abductor is also a pretty insane card as well, along with Frontline Observer if you have the space.

Related:

I've been building with Abductor for a while now: these are the two most successful build types I was working with before the structure release. I think the Magicians vastly outpace where these decks were going - they vastly relied upon Abductor to leverage advantage in the early game. Comparatively Magicians offer so much consistency through Insight/Joker/Call that it's very rare not to see a playable hand that can lead into an OTK and I don't think you have space, or need, for the cantrips that allow Abductor to be a playable card, preferring to play actual cards.

This might have some relevance TCG-side before Magicians come out (later in the year?) but it'll definitely not stand up to Majespecters (although they could feasibly play Abductor) or Magicians since the deck is so linear.

Early version:

[spoiler]

TsvSJLW.png

[/spoiler]

Synchro version:

[spoiler]

D4iU8Xt.png

[/spoiler]

As you can see, the intent is to abuse Abductor + cantrips for free cards whilst drawing into your deck for combos. Ideally you open Abductor+spells and go Abductor+cantrips -> search Luster -> pop Abductor and search another -> P summon Abductor back out, play 3 more cantrips and then search Veiler and another monster. Depending what your other cards are like this can result in a board of valid cards + Veiler in hand.

Realistically though you have such diminishing returns on drawing spells that you usually will only set up your 3-5 scales and have 1 Abductor in the extra. Not terrible, but nothing close to what is necessary to compete. A notable problem is that if you don't open Abductor (and don't have RotA for the Light Empowered to search her for the next turn) you're faced with the paradox of burning cantrips to draw her against holding them to go off if you do. The deck would be enhanced greatly by the ability to directly search Abductor in your turn, but I don't believe such a card is likely to be printed (and it would probably be open-ended enough to have better search targets).

I haven't tried to build with Magicians+Abductor yet though; maybe there is something in that.

This is my build at present:

kkVZYT7.png

I have been wondering about the validity of Abyssgiaos (2x Lair) and Supply Squad, but the former probably won't come up enough and the latter seems unnecessary.

Dank Memeston    1715

It requires an Xyz as a material to use its broken effect. Outside the broken effect it is a 3000 vanilla that is useful as a Pendulum but nothing else. :/

Also, nice find on Gaios Casterism. From the way I have been playing it seems like it could be very strong as all it requires is 3 Lair to set it up. (which is only 2 turns with Drago) Still a bit situational but not so situational that it wouldn't come up more then once in 9 rounds.

ensane    163

Yeah but all you need to run to summon it with that effect is antithesis magician and a rank 7 dragon xyz. Which he does. So even though the situation when you just win because of it is kinda rare, I'd still want to have it for the free wins. I mean, surely it comes up more than angineer.

DukeLukewarm    121
Come Odd-Eyes Fusion you'll be running it anyway. But right now it just doesn't come up that often imo. And its effect is REALLY specific. It can't destroy Xyz monsters, and most really powerful ED bosses are bigger than level 7. And it needs to destroy something to be able to attack 3 times.

petqwe    286
I doubt whether you wanna go into Gaioabyss and have it potentially blocking your attacks. I think the R7 Magician is much more worth playing due to its ability to spam.

petqwe    286

Some more testing done:

- Mist Valley Apex Avian is useless: the only card this card takes care of is Bottomless Trap Hole. If you are allowed to Pendulum summon, you still manage to not win? If you are in a mirror match, why would you want this instead of something that can stop the Pendulum summon?

- On the other hand, Gorz is much better than I thought. It forgives player starting with a weak hand where they can only activate Odd-eyes or Pendulum Call then pass.

- There is not too many chances that we can use Eccentric Archfiend's effect. Either your scales are already stuck there, or you are wasting a monster slot to pendulum summon this thing. Again, if you are going to Pendulum summon this thing, you need to Pendulum summon it.

- We need some ways to recover monsters from the graveyard other than the Wind Magician, because you shouldn't even summon this useless guy.

byak    4478
Are you playing Pot of Riches? Seems like a decent way to recycle pendulums.

I'm pretty sure Emptiness + double Scolding is the way to go for protection. Scolding is insane versus any pendulum deck, and just really good in general. Gorz sounds odd though, but I guess you can pendulum summon it out if you're in a winning position to win even harder.

Also, Ancient Fairy Dragon is broken af in the extra deck, especially if you side Secret Village.

---

Hm.. when you mention stopping Pendulum summons, Steelswarm Roach actually doesn't seem too bad. It does come with a lot of downsides and the extra deck is tight as fuck, but it seems good in certain situations. It's hard to out without making some awkward plays and if you're making it in a winning position, the resources they usually spend to out it let you win even harder (unless they just normal summon an Eccentric/Odd-Eyes)