Noelle

ARG Suspends Articles Indefinitely

»Noelle    5847

(Jim) Due to misinformation in the YGO community we have decided to suspend posting YGO articles indefinitely. Pat's article last night will be the last as we will visit our policy on hiring free lance writers in the near future and revisit this decision. 

Once we started our stand alone event the Circuit Series September 2013 we started not sponsoring players and had moved writers such as Pat, Frazier, Rosty, Max and Dominique to being compensated by check for their time. As of last night we only had 5 compensated contributors to our YGO article site.

Even though other stores like StarCityGames or Channelfireball do the same in Magic the Gathering for some reason the YGO community finds an integrity problem with Alter Reality Games providing a similar service in their perspective trading card community and without the same support similar to WOTC to SCG we no longer want to put a target on the players that wear our logo. It is unfair for a player performing well to be asked to change or cover a logo or feel targeted at what should be a high point in their tournament experiences.

I personally would like to thank each and every writer who has ever published and trusted ARG with their work with our their dedication we wouldn't be getting ready to see so many of you over the next few weeks in Charlotte, Providence and at our $25,000 Circuit Championship in Philadelphia! Without them we would of never been as successful as we have become.

Until next time, play hard or go home!

e2b364b128022b5365094536e14584e4.png

This is news I suppose.

My thoughts:

For a long time now, the quality of the articles have dwindled due to eventually recycling the same topics. To add to this, since the players writing them were competitive duelists, they weren't going to be very transparent as far as relevant information went, to preserve their own advantages. Due to these paradigms, they've almost all been just general knowledge stuff that would only teach a casual player-base because let's face it, the competitive player-base already knows the shit they're telling them. We KNOW what Qliphort Scout does, I do not need you to tell me it's card text. We KNOW that deck topped the last event, you don't need to c/p his decklist then say "he plays this because it does this" then call that an article. 

So, to not have a shitty repetitive slew of generally useless articles, they're given two options. Improve their quality, or end articles altogether. The two reasons cited in this piece were 1. misinformation in the YGO community (don't know if this is referring to certain writers trying to manipulate people into doing stupid shit to increase their chances of winning at an event,) and 2. they want to "take the ARG target off of people's backs?" What does that have to do with their articles when their articles' popularity has dwindled over the past two years and people don't really talk about them? I don't see the correlation between the reason and the action.

~NeoArkadia~    2794
Could be to avoid appearance of market manipulation between their articles, the ARG List, and the ARGCS.

One could create some very convincing (if potentially unfounded arguments) as to the, ah, ethical behavior underlining that the articles are manipulating what players play at ARGCS events, which in turn pushes cards, etc.

+Silver    1008

Oh hey Mat is a mod.

sweet.

Ever since Hoban took down a deck profile ( I forget which deck) because of "misinformation", I havent trusted pro players in terms of deck profiles. It is kinda sad that it gets to point of provding wrong information in order to gain an edge.

Yugi has really gone the toilet this past week

This is pretty much the bottom of the hole and we can only go up from here

»lo fi    2612

The square theory, is where I kind of gave up. I talked to Jim about, this and more or less said that there needed to be a major bit of quality control before  letting people publish  'guest' articles. 

Thank fucking god.

dota-pro    81

They took some pretty big stabs at KDE and the playerbase as a whole here...

»Noelle    5847

Oh hey Mat is a mod.

sweet.

Ever since Hoban took down a deck profile ( I forget which deck) because of "misinformation", I havent trusted pro players in terms of deck profiles. It is kinda sad that it gets to point of provding wrong information in order to gain an edge.

Yugi has really gone the toilet this past week

This is pretty much the bottom of the hole and we can only go up from here

Pat didn't take it down, in fact he basically used every argument he could to keep it up in the Nekroz thread. The people that posted it, namely Sam/Cordero, took it down on account of the misinformation. 

»ACP    33416

From personal experience I can say that having a target on your back can be quite enjoyable. ACP: dodging konami bullets like the matrix since 2011.

»ACP    33416

To be honest I really think Jim's "target" logic is pretty shitty because if the players that they were sponsoring wanted to not be on ARG to avoid getting shit from Konami and the playerbase they could've just left themselves anytime. The fact that they stayed kinda indicates that they felt being on ARG was +EV.

»Noelle    5847

Oh I missed the context, I didn't think he meant the writers being the people with targets on their backs. But like Allen said it's sort of a "write at your own discretion" type of deal.

»Digbick    7256
Square theory is one of the dumbest thing i ve ever read. How did it go through

Some of them were contracted writers; they couldn't just leave on their own accord. They could however simply not submit content; but their content was exclusively to be published on ARG only, and if enough time passed without an article they'd be let go.

POLLUTEDxDELTA    1889

I don't read ARG, but paraphrasing the op, writers were writing basic, bare minimum articles, or if it was competitive, keeping certain secrets to themselves, right? Couldn't Jim have just asked for his writers to produce better material? 

For Magic websites, writers regularly publish their deck lists before GPs / SCG events, discuss them at length, and include their full sideboard guides - and then go on to win events, writing in their next article how they used the same 75. The only time pros go quiet is the weeks leading up to the Pro Tours (which is just happening now, with Origins being fully spoiled).

Yugioh doesn't have events nearly as important as Pro Tours, I guess Nationals is the closest thing. It's the most important Yugioh tournament of the year, and I could understand if ARG writers went silent. I guess it rubs me the wrong way that ARG writers wouldn't want to publish their material for ARG / YCS events, in fear of spoiling their tech or whatever. Like, shouldn't you just be lightyears better than most players anyways? And if you personally had a problem with that, Jim could just hire someone else who is willing to do that. 

I've admired ARG for standing up to Konami, but this seems like a serious step back, for no real reason at all.

+Mascis    4553

From personal experience I can say that having a target on your back can be quite enjoyable. ACP: dodging konami bullets like the matrix since 2011.

just tried to pos this but forgot rep died again. i miss the green!!

Anyway, it's very unfortunate to hear of this. I personally haven't read an ARG article in maybe like a year, I think I stopped after the article Frazier wrote about how to take a shower. Still, at lest ARG served as an outlet for a player to get their thoughts out. Even if the quality was poor, it was still a resource to go to. 

»TS Fearless    7067
I would give out my techs for $25 a week. Not like you would make any more flying to an event trying to win. ARG had some pretty good players, Jim should've given them an ultimatum to have better content or get kicked off. The reasons he gave to suspend articles don't really make sense. I don't really get it.

»ACP    33416

On another note, I felt that now would be an applicable time to post this. Anyone who knows me definitely knows that I like fucking with people, ARG especially. I was once telling someone that ARG articles had such little screening, that anyone could pretend to be a previously-unknown YCS champion and submit a "deck profile" to ARG and that they would post it without question. I then decided to prove it. Emails to Jim:

f6cUgHd.png

He then posted an article of mine that was pure gold. Note that I had never met Junior Dorcin in my life, had no idea what his tournament experience was like, but I had to pass off an article as YCS champion material. The article has since been deleted (there were multiple times that their entire database got deleted for one reason or another) but luckily I saved the text in my google drive because come on, how couldn't I? I copy and pasted most of the comments too, just you so guys could get an idea of how awesome ARG's customers think I am at yugioh. Jim, consider this my resume for when you start hiring again.

Greetings duelists! I’m back from YCS Indianapolis, and I’m very excited to take you through my thought process both before and during the event. For those who didn’t hear the big news already, I placed 1st in the event with Six Samurai, a deck that many wrote off as luck-based or unplayable.

It was a very strenuous weekend. Having to play a total of 8 rounds on Saturday and 7 rounds on Sunday was more than enough dueling to keep me on my toes, but I somehow managed to handle it pretty well. The downside is that I forgot most of the finer details in my matches, especially the ones on Saturday.

Rather than write a thought or two on all of my individual matches, I prefer to look at the tournament as a whole and discuss some of my deck choices and key plays that helped take me to the next level this past weekend. I’m very big on originality and catering towards my playstyle, so needless to say, I have quite a bit of explaining to do! Without further ado, here is my winning decklist:

Monsters: 15

1 Grandmaster of the Six Samurai

3 Legendary Six Samurai - Kizan

1 Legendary Six Samurai - Enishi

1 The Six Samurai - Zanji

2 Legendary Six Samurai - Kageki

1 The Six Samurai - Irou

3 Kagemusha of the Six Samurai

1 Elder of the Six Samurai

2 Maxx “C”

Spells: 13

1 Gateway of the Six

3 Six Samurai United

3 Asceticism of the Six Samurai

2 Shien’s Smoke Signal

1 Reinforcement of the Army

1 Heavy Storm

1 Monster Reborn

1 Mystical Space Typhoon

Traps: 12

1 Solemn Judgment

2 Solemn Warning

2 Musakani Magatama

2 Bottomless Trap Hole

2 Compulsory Evacuation Device

2 Dimensional Prison

1 Double Edged Sword Technique

Extra deck: 15

1 Legendary Six Samurai - Shi En

1 Naturia Beast

1 Ally of Justice Catastor

1 Naturia Barkion

1 Mist Wurm

1 Ally of Justice Decisive Armor

1 Chimeratech Fortress Dragon

1 Temtempo the Percussion Djinn

1 Wind-Up Zenmaines

1 Heroic Champion - Excalibur

1 Shadow of the Six Samurai - Shien

1 Number 39: Utopia

1 Blade Armor Ninja

1 Number 16: Shock Master

1 Adreus, Keeper of Armageddon

Sidedeck: 15

3 Rivalry of Warlords

3 Puppet Plant

2 Dimensional Fissure

2 Cyber Dragon

2 Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror

1 Mystical Space Typhoon

1 The Six Samurai - Kamon

1 Effect Veiler

A long time devotee to Six Samurai, I had been planning on using them at the big event for quite some time. Weeks after week, I tested at my locals, Super Games, changing card choices here and there until I had a deck that just “felt right.” I’m more about intuition than logic when it comes to how I build decks, a trait that many people have seemed to pick up on.

The first thing people seem to notice when they glance at my deck is the fact that I’m playing three copies of Asceticism of the Six Samurai with only one Elder! How could that possibly work? I decided to go outside the box a bit when it came to utilizing Asceticism of the Six Samurai. Like many tournament players, I like maximizing my options rather than going for brute force. Here are all of the Asceticism plays that the deck can potentially pull off:

Elder ←→ Kagemusha

Kizan (1800) ←→ Zanji

Enishi (1700) ←→ Irou

Kizan (2100) → Grandmaster

Kageki (1700) → Enishi or Irou

(A one-sided arrow denotes an interaction that only works one way, while a double-sided arrow means that either one can fetch the other)

It’s like warrior toolbox all other again! Rather than just going for the boring old Shi En plays, I decided to give the deck some edge that many duelists would be unlikely to anticipate. With Enishi I could take care of pessy extra deck monsters, with Irou I had the best answer to a set Geargiarmor, and with Zanji I could take out a face-up Spirit Reaper or a large monster. Through testing I found that going with the more “standard” builds featuring multiple copies of Elder and less options, I could easily end up in a situation where drawing Elder or Asceticism mid to late game would cost me if I had already expended my Shi En. I simply wanted the card to do more than just be another way to make a LV5 synchro. Hyper linear decks do not win very many tournaments.

“But wait!” you might ask, “Is using Asceticism to toolbox actually good if the monster is just going to die in the end phase anyways?” Well that’s what the Xyz mechanic is for! In most cases, using Asceticism of the Six Samurai fetches a monster of the same level, which means that the card now also powers out rank 4 Xyzs with ease. Plays involving Asceticism into Irou, killing a face-down monster, and then making Utopia, Shadow Shien, or maybe even Shock Master were very common and very powerful for me throughout the event. And don’t forget, even if you can’t Xyz in the face of one of your samurai’s inevitable deaths, he can always save himself by having one of his buddies commit seppuku.

Other unusual choices include my lack of Dark Hole or Torrential Tribute, staple mass removal cards in most conventional decks. To put it simply, this is not a deck where we have will have an empty field very often. In addition, Starlight Road ended up being a very popular maindeck choice in Wind-Ups, being used primarily to counter cards like Torrential Tribute and Needle Ceiling. Not playing these types of cards avoids that issue entirely and leaves my opponent with potential dead draws. For this particular deck, I found Compulsory Evacuation Device to be much more versatile, taking care of absolutely any monster at no expense to my own field position. I expect Compulsory Evacuation Device to grow in popularity over the coming weeks.

My extra deck is a bit less exciting, but you can see a heavy emphasis on negation. Wind-Ups are quite good at dropping Shock Master, but this deck can make Naturia Beast, Naturia Barkion, Legendary Shi En, and the fan favorite Shock Master. A recurring theme with this deck, threat diversity is key. Naturia Beast is a killer against Dark World, Barkion helps take care of stun decks, but Shi En is the default option to make turn 1 against an unknown deck. You can see in my finals match (http://www.konami.com/yugioh/blog/?p=10850) sometimes it’s even possible to make both a Shi En and a Shock Master turn 1. Needlessly to say, it’s quite difficult to come back from.

After our negators, Heroic Champion - Excalibur was the most frequently summoned card from my extra deck. It has quite a few upsides compared to Blade Armor Ninja, although both are good in different circumstances. Don’t forget that the attack boost lasts until your opponent’s end phase, making it quite a hard threat to deal with. I had a couple of opponents attempt to attack over it, thinking that it was back to 2000 attack once it was their turn. This was quite embarrassing indeed.

Moving on to the sidedeck, Rivalry of Warlords is a no-brainer here given that all of our monsters are warriors. It’s quite powerful against Wind-Ups and Plant Synchro. Three Puppet Plants might have been a bit excessive. Call me paranoid, but I always like to prepare for a potential mirror match even though I usually don’t play decks that are considered tier 1. Of course there’s also the fact that Heroes were expected to be very popular, which is composed almost entirely of warrior monsters. If you survive an attack from Blade Armor Ninja, take it with a Puppet Plant is quite the blowout. Who knows, you might even get paired against Spellbooks and be able to use Puppet Plant to take their spellcasters as well.

Dimensional Fissure was to counter graveyard-based decks like Dark World, Cyber Dragon was to make Chimeratech Fortress Dragon against Machines, and Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror was to hit Dark World or Inzektors. I don’t value spell/trap removal as much as most, but I figured it would be a good idea to have the second copy of Mystical Space Typhoon in the sidedeck just in case. Rather than putting in the third as well, I decided to go with a copy of Kamon who has the advantage of being more searchable. My little buddy Kamon was destroying Messenger of Peaces all day. More like Messenger of Pieces!

The deck takes a bit of practice to play correctly, so I’d test some games if you want to take it to a big tournament. I encourage you to experiment with some of the card choices and change the deck to fit your playstyle. You will likely come to find that your hardest matchup is Machines (some combination of Machina, Gadget, and Geargia monsters), especially with their ability to search up Kinetic Soldier with Gear Gigant X.

The great thing about this deck is that I found Wind-Ups, the deck to beat going into Indy, to be a good matchup for me. You bring out negators even earlier than they do, we are less vulnerable to Maxx “C”, and we get to side in Rivalry of Warlords to ruin their day. Six Samurai will lose a bit of their surprise factor in this matchup, but there is not a whole lot Wind-Ups can do to improve their Samurai matchup even if they wanted to.

Although I don’t expect these to pick up much popularity, Hieratics were probably my hardest match all weekend. I had a sidedeck that I was confident was prepared for anything, but apparently not Hieratics! If you expect to see more dragon-type monsters than warriors, you could consider taking out some copies of Puppet Plant for Electric Virus instead. I feel like starting your sidedeck with 3 copies of Brain Control is always a solid plan, you just need to figure out which type of monster you want to take.

A lot of people have asked me, “What does it feel like to win a YCS?” I’d honestly say I feel on top of the world. Yu-Gi-Oh! is a great game and a long time hobby of mine, and I will assuredly be traveling to more big events in the future to continue to prove myself. It feels good to know I’ve given many fellow Samurai duelists hope with my underdog victory. Peace out, ARG readers!

Comments:

Comments

31 Responses to “YCS Indy Winner’s Report”

ryuzakixD says:

September 27, 2012 at 11:23 pm

bro you are my hero!

random guy says:

September 27, 2012 at 11:41 pm

six samurais ftw! good job winning with also my deck of the current format as well xD

great article and i got good insight xD

past tense of draw says:

September 27, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Whoa, really creatic six samurai deck. I like how it utilizes asceticism with new and old sam. I tried that before but didn’t work so great bcuz the lack of xyz at the time, which was a about a year ago.

Anonymous says:

September 28, 2012 at 12:03 am

How come he doesn’t use any Shien’s Dojo?

JZain says:

September 28, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Trust me, i’ve tried running shien’s dojo and it is a DEAD draw mid to late game, you might as well have more backrow than dead draws.

Chris says:

September 28, 2012 at 12:04 am

How come he doesn’t use any Shien’s Dojo?

Anonymous says:

September 28, 2012 at 12:21 am

Congratulations on ur win. Its great to see samurais, my favorite deck of the last 3 formats

Wolf says:

September 28, 2012 at 12:32 am

This was pretty insightful. I always hated Six Samurai because as you mentioned they were generally built to play with a very linear strategy and I was pretty surprised when I heard they won. You either opened well with bosses and negation and won, or you didn’t and you lost. But I can see there’s a lot more to this deck and strategy than that; there’s nothing wrong with playing a deck that can sack hard if you get the chance as well!

Frank says:

September 28, 2012 at 12:39 am

Congrats man!!!!

I certainly didn’t expect sams to win the whole thing.

Nice work taking a deck that many had written off to the top!

Asian Guy says:

September 28, 2012 at 1:04 am

So thats why you weren’t at Super Games last weekend. Congratz man, after playing

Sams for such a long time, you finally won a major event!! I hope you continue

to top some more major events in the future. Till then ill probably be seeing you alot

at our locals.

Anonymous says:

September 28, 2012 at 3:15 am

>I decided to give it an edge that most people would not expect.

Except where many people were already doing those switches due to playing enishi and either irou or zanji.

Also, Maxx C without any other Hand traps is frankly silly. The main purpose in maxx C is to deter plays, or draw through your cards and get something to stop an OTK. 10-12 cards in hand won’t do anything if you are staring down lethal damage with no way to stop it.

Also, your build looks fairly generic with the only real difference in your monster line-up from more standard decks is the use of a second kageki versus a second elder (and running both zanji and irou main) and a slightly modified version of the trap board.

As for your feelings on TT, I still feel that you should have been running at least one in the event of having an empty board state. If you don’t need to activate TT because your field is full, it’s more likely you have a strong board state anyways, but I guess you do have enough hate to protect it just enough.

Also, wind ups can side in their Rai Ohs (for elder, Kizan, synchs, and xyzs), CEDs (if sided, it will cause things like Enishi to fizzle, can force attack reductions, disrupts synchro/xyz plays as well and dodges muskatani), and dust tornados/twisters to help keep up with getting rid of the large number of Face ups you already have in addition to hitting things like rivalry of the warlords.

But still good on you on winning ycs indy with a deck that wasn’t expected to be back on the radar.

Moosy says:

September 28, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Well, nobody really though the way Junior did and siding against a linear Six Samurai strategy aka Shi En ftw is much more easier than a warrior toolbox like this one. To be honest, this deck does have so much options it can handle almost anything. Anyway, congrats to him, because he did seem like a nice and funny guy throughout his deck profile and throughout the article. Another thing I find amazing is how he actually admits that the win was an underdog one.

Anonymous says:

September 30, 2012 at 6:34 pm

How does CED dodge muskatani. Normal traps cant be activated in response to counter traps.

charlieisda1 says:

October 1, 2012 at 4:05 pm

So true! I wish there was a like button for these things ^=D

Alexander Flamer says:

September 28, 2012 at 3:36 am

Nice deck and article! I really like the part of it where you explain all the different uses of Asceticism. I didn’t know the card was that versatile.

Mike Strickland says:

September 28, 2012 at 3:50 am

I really like that one. Keep up the good work on your blog.

Cliff R. says:

September 28, 2012 at 4:10 am

Great article! I am so happy to see 6Sam’s win it all. It’s such a good deck. I saw this at the beginning of the format an thought the same way you did. Sticking to the same old gameplay will forever lock the Sam deck in a bottom tier. Congrats dude.

Anonymous says:

September 28, 2012 at 4:30 am

In both finals and semi – final feature matches, how were both irou and enishi both still on the board after being brought out by ascetism? Arent the monsters destroyed at the end phase?

JZain says:

September 28, 2012 at 10:59 pm

If I am correct, the target on the field is the only one destroyed because that’s the selected monster, not the monster from the deck. Plus if he xyz or synchros with the monster he selected on the field, its not there to destroy anymore.

Wheezy says:

September 28, 2012 at 4:32 am

How did he keep the enishi and irou in his last 2 feature matcha? They were suppose to be destroyed at the end Phase because of ascetism

Anonymous says:

September 28, 2012 at 10:18 am

I have so much respect for this guy!

brotac says:

September 28, 2012 at 11:25 am

nice article allen!!!!!!

trilla says:

September 28, 2012 at 11:28 am

really well-written article. i thought your explanation of the versatile uses of aceticism, your explanation of your modified trap line-up, and your ability to toolbox a useful monster to over-run your opponents options were all truly reall well-done. this is one of the best deck profile articles i’ve read on this website and i really appreciate it. THANKS!!!

Dycedarg says:

September 28, 2012 at 12:26 pm

you actually used Kamon… respect..

Logan says:

September 28, 2012 at 4:29 pm

wow good job Stompinping The other competition. was 3 Asceitism needed though? Can you top again with this deck? Kagemusha ever get chain dissed? Enishi looks good to counter this meta. Ryko ever a problem?

iloveplantsynchro says:

September 28, 2012 at 5:10 pm

LISTEN dis deck is broken but it needs 3 ryko, 3 lyla and 3 solar recharges and the 1 card trooper to mill

Anonymous says:

September 28, 2012 at 11:36 pm

If your opponents didn’t know what Asceticsm could do, they really deserved to lose. Attacking into Excalibur before the ATK decrease…really?

Anonymous says:

September 29, 2012 at 12:35 am

Well when u stack gateway ur garunteed to win a ycs look at nizar

Travis Smith says:

September 29, 2012 at 12:37 am

I bet u, u stacked gateway a couple times. Its ok weve all done it at leat once.

Anonymous says:

September 30, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Ok I just really want to know you wrote this article…

Anonymous says:

September 30, 2012 at 7:19 pm

who* wrote this article…

mido9    332

Anonymous says:

September 30, 2012 at 6:34 pm

How does CED dodge muskatani. Normal traps cant be activated in response to counter traps.

»Satchmo    3220

That long-in still works, lmfao

website is bad    2172

do you still use djuniorballer@gmail.com for day-to-day stuff?

+Mascis    4553

Anonymous says:
September 28, 2012 at 10:18 am
I have so much respect for this guy!

»ACP    33416

That long-in still works, lmfao

Well shit, I had no idea that was the case nor was that my intent. Password blocked out lol.

do you still use djuniorballer@gmail.com for day-to-day stuff?

No, but I probably should.

Grimey    8113

This is missing out on the pos rep it deserves

such a great post right???

Grimey    8113

my life has been changed by being exposed to such excellency in text formation