Noelle

ARG Suspends Articles Indefinitely

Lang    905
Konami making strategy videos now has to be showing good results btw. Its just way easier to make a video and get viewers than an article would.

TFJ    618
I for one PJ, hate Video features. A 40minute tape or a 10 minute read.

iNetdeck    102
I miss reading metagame articles. Probably because there wasn't any video coverage available then.

herbie ✌    1340
Does it really matter what medium its presented in?
If its a video it can be embeded into some post in some section, if its just a wall of text thats good too as long as it is at least insightful in some way we have beat 99% of anything else thats out there in ygo.

boots88    124

Konami making strategy videos now has to be showing good results btw. Its just way easier to make a video and get viewers than an article would.

Except instead of competitive insight the videos on the official channel are just trying to push new product, I can't fault them for that but it's not the same quality you would have when you interview players at (US, because at least at events like Bochum you had frequent interviews) events because nothing has to be filtered.

One of the bigger issues with videos is that if they're long (or even just 10 minutes), it becomes annoying to go back and review parts that you wanted to focus on.

There is no Ctrl+F for videos.

In my mind, articles ideally would comprise of written explanation, and then a clip whenever there would be a combo. The pacing is healthy to slightly slow on things like the 11-minute long Zefra video.

Soul    7945

There's no CTRL + F for videos, but there is a similar function in the sense that you can link to the exact time in said video. If they really wanted to they could break it down as follows;

Turn 1: 00:05

Turn 2: 00:10

Turn 3: 00:15

And so on and so forth. The good thing about YGO nowadays is that games rarely last that many turns, so going back through the footage and segmenting it in this fashion would not be very difficult. The only time consuming thing about this would be the fact that YGO players irl generally take fucking forever to play out their turns. 

Soul    7945

Same thing can also be applied to articles that involve actual game play/explanations of other things. This sort of thing is used for tutorials, webinars, etc. The main principal is you can still segment the video by time & content, which in essence is the same thing you are describing. 

»Pharaoh Atem    15769

Except instead of competitive insight the videos on the official channel are just trying to push new product, I can't fault them for that but it's not the same quality you would have when you interview players at (US, because at least at events like Bochum you had frequent interviews) events because nothing has to be filtered.

If someone can be misled by a video into making a bad deckbuilding or gameplay choice, that is good for competitive play.

This is because people being fooled into a mistake is what everything good about competition-in-ygo is built upon.

things about deck diversity and gameplan diversity are not integral to competition, but to flavor.

You shouldn't need these videos to give you competitive insight all the time, imo - you're on DG, you should be able to come up with and summarily test insights on your own. You shouldn't ask for a video to be the bleeding edge, you yourself should be the blood on that edge.

videos about flavor and unique tricksy things are not bad for competitive play unless you only value things that help you avoid mistakes you'd otherwise make. That's a rather... bad mindset to have, when we can instead have a video plant traps in the player consciousness.

Fatalis    413

Geeze this blew up.  I would say I'm surprised ARG pulled the articles but I'm not.  During my short-lived tenure at ARG, every time I devoted any sort of time toward editing articles Jim told me to work on something "more productive."  Although I found time during the end of Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays to spot check and clean up Hoban's, Rosty's and Max's articles.  But it always baffled me every time I was told to not spend much time editing.  Why wouldn't I, when they go directly on the site?  

ARG has always had minimal editing presence for everything that goes up on the website, so maybe this is a step in the right direction to ease back then look for someone to do that job

~NeoArkadia~    2794

Geeze this blew up.  I would say I'm surprised ARG pulled the articles but I'm not.  During my short-lived tenure at ARG, every time I devoted any sort of time toward editing articles Jim told me to work on something "more productive."  Although I found time during the end of Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays to spot check and clean up Hoban's, Rosty's and Max's articles.  But it always baffled me every time I was told to not spend much time editing.  Why wouldn't I, when they go directly on the site?  

ARG has always had minimal editing presence for everything that goes up on the website, so maybe this is a step in the right direction to ease back then look for someone to do that job

... That really really sounds like "I don't care about the quality, just make sure it's clickbait and people buy stuff".