rei

Upgrading to IPB 4

+rei+    35015
Invision Power Board 4.0 is now available and I'd like to upgrade somewhat soon - it's a more powerful suite and will be what recieved security updates in the future

Display names and log in names would merge however - would people prefer to keep display names or log in names as current usernames? Im leaning display names

Alex Ayano    0

Upgrading to 4.0 would Destroy AniTech in my case lol

It would cause confusion though. I'd say Display names too and then make an official announcement that everyone can see especially members who have not logged in a long time and sending out mass email or PM to the whole community about the Display/Log in names merged.

Nate1080    1241

I'm in favor of display names. It's simpler imo.

Though I fear for those who use weird characters in their names and such.

773 202 LUNA    2908

I'd prefer display names.

Would merging them prevent name changes in the future, or would they just affect people's login details each time?

»Satchmo    3224

the biggest obstacle is we need to alert people, like someone who hasn't logged in for 6 months returns and can't log in would suck

+Urthor    10235

Rather have log in names because I am fairly sure infinite members will get tripped up by their log in name changing.  That sounds like a really bad idea to use display.

Soul    7947

Display names for sure. I made my log-in back when i was like 14. its in l33t. im sure an email blast can be sent out to all account holders informing them of this change.

»canasian    4105

it's only 8:30am but reading Soul's display name history was definitely the highlight of my day

Soul    7947

havent changed it in 5 years. ive matured :)

• Upvote 1

»Noelle    5850

Oh wow, is this why I've always had to use ChumleeDoublestack to log in? Didn't know.

in favor of display names

ACP    33423

Oddly enough, Urthor is right. Keeping the login names causes the least amount of trouble long term. Do any of the other mods here really want to receive hundreds of messages from people asking why their login is no longer working?

+rei+    35015
bulk communication is absolutely a thing

ACP    33423

>implying people check their emails

From my own experience, I can tell you that I've had to deal with people who say, "Yeah, I registered on DGZ in 2008 and have no idea what email I even used to register the account."

Logically, you'd think that we could make a post in the announcements forum letting everyone know that their login probably changed, but even 95% of the board members read it... that still means that 5% didn't.

+scuzzlebutt    23565
yeah i dont think mass communication would work at all, have you seen some of our members? i dont even remember what day it is today much less what messages were at the top of the site this mrning

+rei+    35015
those idiots will be confused no matter what we do

+Urthor    10235

Those idiots are also the fringe members we want to attract to the site man.  What's next, we're going to ban people for multiaccounting after they make a new DGz account when their log in name gets changed by the system?    

+rei+    35015
if you're too dumb to use the 'forgot password' link or similar, after being too dumb to check your email, after not being active for months/years, I'm not convinced that's the sort of person we're shooting for or will offer any longevity

confuse rei    5635

autismgroundz

fuckfiend    2209
Log in names, I'm too used to typing Foolist into everything, I'm sure I'm not the only one. They can be changed afterwards to match the user's desire so that the users won't be fucked over with it being the display name log in like that triangles guy or maybe that guy with the Japanese letters. You can just turn on name changes for everyone to change their names back anyways. Really, I think mass emailing would just be retarded. I don't even check my email unless I just signed up for something. DG is so old some (probably more than some actually) of these ppl might have lost the emails they originally signed up with. The safer way to do this is login names.