Sign in to follow this  
Stratovarius

Tome: Chronicles of Champions

Stratovarius    79

Background:

[spoiler]logo-a-2.png?w=450&h=374

Tome: Chronicles of Champions is a tactical card game featuring a party-based combat system. The game will be available as a physical card game with a core set at launch. The core set will include multiple copies of each card, Ala Fantasy Flight Game's Living Card Game approach.

[/spoiler]

Overview: (tl;dr version)

[spoiler]

• Tactical Expandable Card Game.
  • Digital release possible; not currently planned.
  • Inspired by classic role-playing game party combat system.
  • Players build a party of three characters, then a deck (arsenal) of spells, items and abilities for their party to use.
  • Six different characters. Three versions of each character from different points in time. Eight-hundred different parties at launch.
  • Each character has a different attack style (melee, spell or ranged) which determines how it can attack.
  • Players must actively re-position party to optimize offensive and defensive strategies.
  • Characters, not players, use cards included in deck. Rewards players for building intelligently around their party's class ratio.

[/spoiler]

Building:

[spoiler]

• Players first build a party. Eighteen total characters available at launch; must choose three different ones.
  • Players can choose to focus on one class (Barbarian, Black Mage, Engineer, Esper Archer, Cleric, or Sage) or combine classes to form different synergistic strategies. A party full of spell attackers (Black Mage, Cleric) feels explosive while a party full of ranged attackers (Esper Archer, Engineer) feels evasive.
  • After choosing three characters, model a thirty card deck after your party. For example, Cleric Spells can only be used by Clerics. If there is only one Cleric in your party, including a lot of Cleric cards might prevent you from playing more than one card.

[/spoiler]

Gameplay:

[spoiler]

• At the beginning of a game, your characters are placed in the appropriate zones face-down.
  • You can choose the starting positions of your characters. Because a Cleric usually heals adjacently, its best position is center instead of right or left. However, this can become predictable when playing against a good opponent.
  • After the game begins, characters can use a card in hand or attack, but not both. Attacking is limited by range but is consistent and always available. Some cards are limited by range, but tend to be more rewarding.
  • Melee attackers can only attack forward but are most powerful. Spell attackers attack diagonally but are less powerful than melee. Ranged attackers aren't restricted by range, but are the weakest attackers.
  • Players must actively rearrange their party to maintain optimal offensive and defensive strategies.
  • Moving a character can only happen once per turn, and a character that moves can't attack in the same turn.
  • When attacking, that character deals damage to the selected target. Damage accumulates over time.
  • When a character has damage equal or greater than its health, it's defeated and its controller loses one health.
  • A defeated character gets moved out of its current zone and is revived after three of your turns.
  • While a player has an empty zone, it can be attacked for direct damage.
  • A player wins when the opponent reaches zero health or runs out of cards.

[/spoiler]

Design:

[spoiler]

Looking for constructive criticism on the card design. Current card backing design also below. Class symbol and other elements are in no way finalized.

kuraithemanipulator.png
cardback.png

[/spoiler]

Social Media:

[spoiler]

Would greatly appreciate likes/follows/etc. on any of the following:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/OfficialTomeTCG

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/tomecardgame?fref=ts

[/spoiler]

Looking for thoughts, opinions, constructive criticism on anything posted in tags. In the process of wrapping up beta testing and will be producing a high quality prototype for a gameplay video in the near future.

+Urthor    10234

Have you designed and finalised the entire cardpool yet?

The thing that instantly leaps out at me as a fan is that you have 18 characters and 6 classes, that's a metric ton of things to balance for right out of the gates and what leaps out at me is that not many of the better pop up TCGs take that approach to start with.

Second, your introduction post or the front page of your doesn't make it clear what the platform the game is played on and HOW you actually play it INSTANTLY, either pieces of cardboard/PC Client/mobile Client/other.  You mention video game at one point but idk what kind?

I actually still don't quite know, I'm sure if I dig into the material I would find out, but you have to make that clear to your customers ASAP, there can't be any confusion over what you're selling.  Even if you're not selling as such, you're still trying to get them to play so you need to sell the game.   

• Upvote 1

Stratovarius    79

Have you designed and finalised the entire cardpool yet?

The thing that instantly leaps out at me as a fan is that you have 18 characters and 6 classes, that's a metric ton of things to balance for right out of the gates and what leaps out at me is that not many of the better pop up TCGs take that approach to start with.

Second, your introduction post or the front page of your doesn't make it clear what the platform the game is played on and HOW you actually play it INSTANTLY, either pieces of cardboard/PC Client/mobile Client/other.  You mention video game at one point but idk what kind?

I actually still don't quite know, I'm sure if I dig into the material I would find out, but you have to make that clear to your customers ASAP, there can't be any confusion over what you're selling.  Even if you're not selling as such, you're still trying to get them to play so you need to sell the game.   

First, thank you for posting.

You're absolutely correct in saying that it is a metric ton of things to balance. If I was saying that I would have that kind of material and I just started working on this game, I would be concerned too. I actually started designing with a lot less, and simply expanded upon what worked. I've also spent approximately the past year balancing classes and playtesting in general. The entire cardpool has been designed and is in a state where I could finalize it. 

The bottom line is that it's primarily a card game, but it intertwines things normally seen in tabletop games. The only iteration will be paper, unless I somehow fund app development. I'll make sure to include that information whenever possible.

I mentioned video games in the background in OP because that it was I started out designing. I started work on a card game because it was something that an individual could reasonably tackle.