Sign in to follow this  
aurirevoir

Battle for Zendikar Spoiler Discussion

Dank Memeston    1716

Yea, hes a really cool card that could see paly if very specific decks (like that one) were actually played/good. Also seems very cool with the 2 Rebound cards.

• Upvote 1

150910-ShamblingVent.png

en_ic4W1c7URe.png

en_TclURjhCMu.png

0205_MTGBFZ_EN_HRR.png

COjY4AoUsAAJeDg.png

COeb2sUUEAEpjqF.jpg

(These fetches are like the true Eldrazi of this set...continuing to devour/ suck up the EV of the set )

• Upvote 1

+Gojira    1706

it's still 3 mana for a card that's weak on its own.

BUT if you mean Eggs, literally, then yeah it might be an upcoming combo piece.

• Upvote 1

Mutavault    2900

That Misty is insane and I like the art of the Strand but it doesn't shout U/W to me its like inkmoth style background with the purple. If they just made it crystal blue or ice blue it would be incredible.

Green Warden seems like it is going to take back seat to whisper and den protector for a while.

• Upvote 1

+Gojira    1706

Yeah flooded has the worst art of the expedition lands by far, unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

POLLUTEDxDELTA    1889

Y'all trippin, that Flooded Strand is sweet, although not as good as Misty Rainforest.

Greenwarden is pretty absurd. I agree that Den Protector and Whisperwood occupy similar space, but I wouldn't be surprised if some decks wanted one more than the other. Being a 5/4 and getting a second card back is big game.

• Upvote 1

JAndrees    109

Y'all trippin, that Flooded Strand is sweet, although not as good as Misty Rainforest.

Greenwarden is pretty absurd. I agree that Den Protector and Whisperwood occupy similar space, but I wouldn't be surprised if some decks wanted one more than the other. Being a 5/4 and getting a second card back is big game.

I look at it as Den Protector copy 5 in Abzan.  I can definitely see it as a one of.

• Upvote 1

POLLUTEDxDELTA    1889

One of Abzan's biggest problems is how everything costs 3 - Courser, Den Protector, Deathmist Raptor, Hero's Downfall, Abzan Charm. It's possible that Greenwarden is used over Den Protector to open up space for more 3 drops. Granted rotation will change some things. 

Den Protector has the advantages of 5 mana over two turns (if necessary), being a 3 drop, sometimes relevant evasion, and the ability to get other copies back. Greenwarden is 5 mana upfront, a 5/4 that can trade with Siege Rhino, and gets a second card when it dies (!). I think Greenwarden is the better card, but like I said before, curves do matter. Both cards will see play.

I preordered 8 of them from Star City for $5 each / $40 total. $5 seems way too low for this kind of effect.

• Upvote 1

JAndrees    109

One of Abzan's biggest problems is how everything costs 3 - Courser, Den Protector, Deathmist Raptor, Hero's Downfall, Abzan Charm. It's possible that Greenwarden is used over Den Protector to open up space for more 3 drops. Granted rotation will change some things. 

Den Protector has the advantages of 5 mana over two turns (if necessary), being a 3 drop, sometimes relevant evasion, and the ability to get other copies back. Greenwarden is 5 mana upfront, a 5/4 that can trade with Siege Rhino, and gets a second card when it dies (!). I think Greenwarden is the better card, but like I said before, curves do matter. Both cards will see play.

I preordered 8 of them from Star City for $5 each / $40 total. $5 seems way too low for this kind of effect.

The only items I've preordered was a playset of all of the tango lands on trollandtoad (they had them at a brief moment for 7.99 for the blues and 5.99 for the others) and Gideon at 20 each.  I also preordered a case.

I don't think the card will be a 4 of in anything.  The foils will attract EDH attention but otherwise 5.00 is as high as I think that will go.  This set is going to be so widely opened that Gideon at 20 will be hard to hold even if it's a 4 of.

• Upvote 1

POLLUTEDxDELTA    1889

I agree it won't be a four of. I generally order multiples of a card, so that when the price goes up, I sell the extras and get the rest for free. 

I agree the set will be widely opened, but it takes 3-4 months for everything to circulate. There is always a sweet spot between the first SCG event and the Pro Tour where prices go crazy, and that is where the most money is made.

• Upvote 1

Dank Memeston    1716

I like the Flooded Strand art a lot. Not love. To me it combines the absurdity of the ocean with the serenity of a forest stream. The waters flows from terrace to terrace but at the same time emits a blinding course of light that makes the card very hard to understand and appreciate.

The others are more direct in their purpose but the flooded strand is definitely strong imo.

• Upvote 1

+Gojira    1706

I like the Flooded Strand art a lot. Not love. To me it combines the absurdity of the ocean with the serenity of a forest stream. The waters flows from terrace to terrace but at the same time emits a blinding course of light that makes the card very hard to understand and appreciate.

The others are more direct in their purpose but the flooded strand is definitely strong imo.

The scene itself is fine, but the purple highlights are extremely weird. 

• Upvote 3

Dank Memeston    1716

Seems 4/5 color is incredibly viable... just depends on whether or not super-conistent mana/heavy-mana cards is/are more important.

Trying Eldrazi ramp atm. Ulamog is a BEAST.

4 Nissa's Pilgrimage

4 Explosive Vegetation

4 Hedron Archive

3 Nissa

4 Titan's Pressence

3 Nissa's Revelation

3 Ugin

4 Conduit of Ruin

4 Ulamog

4 Desolation Twin

19 Forest

4 Shrine of the Forsaken Gods

Ugin has been sub-par since a lot of people are play-testing small eldrazi and the obvious Hangarback. I don't think I would go below 2 as he can win the game itself but that is usually on an even or empty board.

I'm strongly considering playing a second color, possibly U for Kiora or dig or something although I guess R is possible because of Omnath. I'm not sure on Nissa/Titan's but I know I want at least 3 Ulamog and some number of Desolation Twin. Breaker of Armies, Eldrazi Devastator and are also all possibilities.

Also going Hedron + Pilgrimage/3drop on turn 5/4 is neat. (I reallllyyyy want an at least okay 7drop eldrazi/colorless creature....)

AND atarka, how can i forget that sunuvabitch

• Upvote 1

HeyyQT    47

Is it just me or is this set 1 good counter spell away from making control tier 0

• Upvote 1

Dank Memeston    1716

What do you mean by good counterspell? Are you including the awaken one?

• Upvote 1

Mutavault    2900

Is it just me or is this set 1 good counter spell away from making control tier 0

Probably just you, the set isn't near spoiled yet and your making meta assumptions?

I'd wait until we see the cheap situational removal spells and uncommon creatures that mono red decks always gain but not spoil too soon as those cards are usually good but unexciting. Also expect a lightning strike effect forever its just simple fair and easy to put in red decks. There also has to be something that exiles hanger back. It can't really be a spray since we have like 4 1 mana burn spells. Maybe a 2 mana spray that does 1 more damage just to be different. The goofy thing too is this year the green/black decks were the control decks. Den protector, abzan charm walkers draw spells removal etc...you didn't have to be in blue to get cards that drew cards. Abzan also got more tools in this set and the whole idea of every card being value vs. a control deck is usually hard to go by but as it is thats pretty much what happened to control when the control decks couldn't beat the midrange decks then control fell over. No thoughtseize or watch wolf this format (as of yet) also nothing like vault or anger to exile death mist raptor (as of yet) The control decks might also just be bowled over by decks going super over the top not like devotion where you had couple pay offs and a bunch of mana but a real threat heavy Eldrazzi deck that plays must answer threats every turn. Idk to be honest but we need more than 92 cards spoiled to find out.

• Upvote 1

Mutavault    2900

Is the mana cost going to tarnish this card? Its obviously not thought seize but...

transgressthemind.jpg

• Upvote 1

POLLUTEDxDELTA    1889

Is the mana cost going to tarnish this card? Its obviously not thought seize but...

transgressthemind.jpg

Most cards that you want to Thoughtseize cost 3+, so that part isn't really a restriction. Exiling is also a bonus against Jace, Vryn's Prodigy, Den Protector, and helps against future delve spells. This even has Modern applications against Snapcaster (Cryptic Command), Eternal Witness, and Academy Ruins (Mono Blue Tron mostly). But I wouldn't seriously consider playing this card in Modern lol, just Standard. With only 5 legal sets, the power level should be low enough that this card sees play.

• Upvote 1