Do you guys play any of the actual Vassals? I've been just using Idea and Eidos with ROTA. Also, what do you guys think about running One for One in the deck? I saw a decklist that had it and it seemed interesting to try out.

chrona    83

Is there a certain reason why nobody is playing Mega Thestalos? It has a build-in Confiscation effect which seems kind of broken if you could resolve 1-2 of it (especially with Escalation).

petqwe    286

Is there a certain reason why nobody is playing Mega Thestalos? It has a build-in Confiscation effect which seems kind of broken if you could resolve 1-2 of it (especially with Escalation).

Uhm people are already playing a copy of it?

chrona    83

Seeing some decklists, I just saw that most people in the OCG are only playing it in there side or not at all. (The 09/28/2015 page has one build with 3 Thestalos mained, which seems to be the exception). But yeah, you're right some are actually playing it, missed that, thanks.

http://ygorganization.com/ocg-10052015-ocg-japan-and-china-decklists/

http://ygorganization.com/ocg-09222015-ocg-japan-decklists/

http://ygorganization.com/ocg-09282015-ocg-japan-decklists/

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

NB96    809
RIP monarchs

How could you even consider playing this deck when it can't spam such good rank 4's like infnity (ptolemaeus) and rafflesia

only exception i accept is if you are a budget player tbh

Well, it's anti-meta capabilites shouldn't be underestimated.

In a world, where every deck relies on Extra Deck strength, Monarch will have some sort of relevance with their strong main deck and powerful floodgates. I cannot imagine, they would be completly irrelevant in the grand scheme of madness, that is going to be 2016.

mimgrim    2

Sorry if it is wrong for me to be bumping this thread but I've recently gotten into the new Monarch cards due to the structure deck coming out in January making them a good budget deck to pick up that can do some work plus being sentimental for me due to Caius being the first YGO card I owned and I'm wanting to get some thoughts on how my current plan to build them when the structure deck comes out.

rgFbOXI.png

Side deck doesn't really have a lot of thought put into it currently and is just there as something I could feasibly build in a short amount of time.

The deck is really tight and thought it has been doing good for me so far I can't help but want to try and get certain cards into the main, mainly a second Return and second Dominion and maybe a Thestalos or 2.  But not really sure how to make room in the deck.

So yea thoughts?

mimgrim    2
I haven't reall gotten a desire to play Escalation in this deck so far.

This deck main goal so far has been to get out Majesty as fast as possible and back it up with things like March and Dominion (why I would like to play a second one at the very least) or Emptiness if I draw into it and try to search it out with Return if I don't open it (which is why I want a second).

While, admitedly, I could just chain Escalation when the opponent activates a monster effect and summon Majesty to troll or to disrupt plays with Cauis and things it would mean having to sacerfic consistency of the deck since it would mean taking out search or draw power to make room, something I'm not big on doing because I generally want to set-up a first turn Majesty backed up with protection as my main win condition, but not my only.

I see the potiential in Escalation but I'm not sure it is worth sacerficing consistency for.

woof gong    226

I haven't reall gotten a desire to play Escalation in this deck so far.

This deck main goal so far has been to get out Majesty as fast as possible and back it up with things like March and Dominion (why I would like to play a second one at the very least) or Emptiness if I draw into it and try to search it out with Return if I don't open it (which is why I want a second).

While, admitedly, I could just chain Escalation when the opponent activates a monster effect and summon Majesty to troll or to disrupt plays with Cauis and things it would mean having to sacerfic consistency of the deck since it would mean taking out search or draw power to make room, something I'm not big on doing because I generally want to set-up a first turn Majesty backed up with protection as my main win condition, but not my only.

I see the potiential in Escalation but I'm not sure it is worth sacerficing consistency for.

So you haven't even tested it by the sounds of it, you should really do that. Plus I don't think getting out Majesty is the win condition you think it is. 

Couple reasons you should look into it more. Firstly, the deck can only do one thing a turn. So Escalation increases the turns you can do that in. Secondly, the deck can search its shit to set up easily, but your set ups aren't reactive you just sit on it and hope you win slowly. You lose when your set up gets broken and momentum swings completely against you (so setting up again is pointless) or you get insta-killed that turn. Escalation gives you a way to respond whilst still furthering what you want to do

mimgrim    2

I'll mess around with Escalation at 1 to see how it works by replacing Emptiness with it (as much as I ike it, at least Escalation can be searched easily).

But I do have to disagree with you on some points. Being able to get Majesty out backed up my a March is a really powerful field to have, even better with Dominion. The deck can indeed do more then 1 thing a turn. I can consistently get 2 tribute summoned monsters in 1 turn while getting myself set-up with protection from back-row and stuff.

But yea I'll test out one Escalation by replacing Emptiness and see how it works. Would still like to get a second Dominion into the deck, at the very least. Return isn't a major thing to have at 2 but I have found it to be pretty useful but I can leave it at 1. I could maybe take out Foolish for a second Dominion, maybe, not sure if I want to do that.

And would like to main a Mega Thestalos or 2 because it is basically confiscation on legs lmao. Might need to get rid of vanilla Caius (which I don't want to do because of sentimental reasons but that isn't good enough) and Maybe a Mega Caius to use Mega Thestalos.  

NB96    809

Unfortunately, since I absolutely refuse to pay for the Pendulum deck in January I'll be playing Monarchs for the foreseeable future. This deck seems like it should be a good deal cheaper.

There's been no posts on this thread for almost a month so I'll try to get some discussion going. My current list is below:

YGuOhPp.png

[spoiler]3 Aither
3 Erebus
3 Kuraz
3 Majesty's Fiend
3 Idea
3 Eidos
3 Maxx "C"
1 Battle Fader

3 Pantheism of the Monarchs
3 Tenacity of the Monarchs
2 March of the Monarchs
2 The Dominion of the Legendary Monarch
2 The Monarchs Stormforth
1 Reinforcement of the Army

3 The Prime Monarch
2 Escalation of the Monarchs
[/spoiler]

TqKBDRd.png?1
Aither and Erebus are the best monsters because they send your Monarch s/t cards to the graveyard, so they set up your combos for the rest of the game after you summon one generally. 2800 atk is also really powerful, it gets over all sorts of different monsters which makes these guys mandatory three-ofs. Although I suspect everybody in this thread knew this already.

vgph4e2.png?1
The decks needs monsters that require only one tribute. You draw Eidos without Idea often and without one tribute monsters your Eidos is always dead. At first I thought this line of thought was incorrect because you can max out of The Dominion of the Legendary Monarch to turn Aither and Erebus into one tribute monsters, but that is unreliable. You can't always search it with Pantheism or Tenacity and that often leaves you with an auto loss. One tribute monsters are necessary in this deck. For a long time I've thought Kuraz was just awful. Popping your opponents monsters to interrupt their play feels useless against Pendulums when the decks have such a high ceiling, they will often be able to use the cards they draw off Kuraz' effect to combo. But recently I tried using again and realised what it's really there for. People argue that the cards' value comes from being summoned off Aither to ill your opponents cards, but actually Kuraz is great because he helps you turbo through your deck. Often I summon him off Aither and pop my own Idea/Edios or a face up The Prime Monarch to dig deeper into the deck. This is important because of the strategy of this deck as a whole. With March of the Monarchs, The Dominion of the Legendary Monarch and Majesty's Fiend, speeding through the deck as fast as possible helps you reach your true goal of setting up the lockdown with those cards I listed to beat Pendulums. Majesty's Fiend seemed to me like the better choice compared to Vanity's Fiend. It has 1000 def making it work with Tenacity of the Monarchs, and it combos with Dominion better than Vanity's because the cards do different things. Admittedly Vanity works better with March to protect itself, but I'm searching for Dominion first most times because Dominion is also better with Aither and Erebus, since it's possible to break through Aither/Erebus + March more easily as they have access to the extra deck. Overall Majesty's Fiend has greater synergy with the deck in my opinion.

U20rzQK.png?1
Maxx "C" and Battle Fader is something I go back and forth with. On the one hand I think I need it because the Pendulum deck will want to go first and set up a field with counter traps to lock me out of the game, but Maxx "C" will stop them making a field and give me a chance to fight back and lock them down myself. On the other hand, I want to go first every game so playing Maxx is counter intuitive because it's a dud in my opening hand. Battle Fader is something I am also wrestling with. I want to play something I can draw into with Maxx to save myself if they try to OTK me through it, but the Pendulum deck can make Cyber Dragon Infinity to negate it and make it worthless anyway. Perhaps Effect Veiler is a better choice because I could negate Ptolemaeus with it, leaving them with a weak monster in defense mode which might make them lose enough damage to let me survive anyway.

ptEapcm.png?1
I think the rest of the deck is self explanatory for the most part. Only two Dominion to avoid drawing multiples since it's a field spell so any more I draw are dead. Drawing two March is more acceptable because I can play both, but I'd rather avoid it anyway since if they can't kill one then the other is dead anyway. In addition, March conflicts with Kuraz a little bit because it stops me popping itself if I tribute summon it. Fortunately most times I summon Kuraz it's with Aither instead.

YsKfNuF.png?1
I go back and forth on whether or not to play the third copy of The Monarchs Stormforth. Unfortunately the card is useless on turn 1, and I do aim to go first whenever I get the chance. However the card is great going second because it baits Cyber dragon Infinity. Thanks to Dominion and Kuraz/majesty's Fiend, I have plenty on one tribute monsters to drop it with if I don't have a monster on the field already. If I were to cut those Maxx "C" and/or Battle Fader, a third copy of this is probably one of the cards I would put in. I'm not 100% certain if two or three is correct right now.

dIxUAX6.png?1

No Return of the Monarchs, I don't think the card is required for a number of reasons:

• With 12 tribute monsters total, I have an 85% chance to draw one in my opening hand, and 47% chance of drawing multiples. this should be enough to have the tribute monsters I need without needing to search more with Return.
  • Aither and Erebus also do very similar things. Aither gets me another Monarch anyway which is more or less the same thing, although Aither summons it to help me put more damage on the board. Often when Erebus is in the grave I can use him to get back another tribute monster to continue dropping beatsticks. My deck simply already does what this card tries to achieve.
  • It only works when you can already summon a tribute monster, in its place a card that helps me summon one in the first place might be more reliable in the long run.
  • It doesn't really contribute much to my goal with this deck, which is to set up the lockdown with a tribute monster + Dominion. It searches Majesty's Fiend but overall that isn't enough utility to play the card. Even though it's searchable space is very tight in this deck so I would rather avoid it, and I haven't missed it at all.

RIP monarchs

How could you even consider playing this deck when it can't spam such good rank 4's like infnity (ptolemaeus) and rafflesia

only exception i accept is if you are a budget player tbh

Yep, I'm a faget

What strikes the most of your list is the complete exclusion of Mega-Caius.

Why? The fact, that we have a removal, that can wipe scales, floaters or backrow without seeing them ever again should be something, that needs to be considered for the overall scheme of this deck.

You play the single RotA, but no 141 or Reinforce Truth. That means, you have only 4 ways to get to Idea and it will cost your NS every single time. Considering the prevelance of Solemn Notice by the time, this deck arrives, you should strongly consider to play either of these 2, because losing your NS/Idea negated is the worst thing to happen. One for One's discard is hardly noticeable in this deck, while Reinforce has Escalation interactions at the cost of speed.

Both cards still allow for a Tribute Summon, in case, things go south, that means you can still use stuff like The Prime Monarch.

Speaking of which, weren't you the one, who discouraged the use of The Prime Monarch at 3? What made you go back for that?

You really don't want 3 Kuraz. Sure, it speeds things up, but it will get cloggy eventually. I can see the reason for 1 or even 2, but you will never need to 3, as you can tutor it with Aither to pop your own cards. It can be the worst Tribute to have in your hand and that is something, you don't want to have in an inconsistent deck like this.

Foolish Burial searches/recycles all Monarchs in the deck by sending Erebus to the graveyard. That means, it's a searcher for Majesty as well.

In my own testing against the what-to-be meta after BOSH, relying solely on the Squires makes you quite vulnerable. Even with 141 and Reinforce plays, it becomes agonizing to assemble Tribute fodder properly against T1 boards that are made of Infinity and Notice.

I said in the past and I'm even more convinced, that you need to play Mithra solely for the fact, that she doesn't take up your NS and is therefore free. It even has the positive side effects, of making Stormforth live in T1 and allows for interesting double plays like Caius -> Majesty to obliterate scales and then lock your opponent from the game.

mimgrim    2

You play the single RotA, but no 141 or Reinforce Truth. That means, you have only 4 ways to get to Idea and it will cost your NS every single time. Considering the prevelance of Solemn Notice by the time, this deck arrives, you should strongly consider to play either of these 2, because losing your NS/Idea negated is the worst thing to happen. One for One's discard is hardly noticeable in this deck, while Reinforce has Escalation interactions at the cost of speed.

Both cards still allow for a Tribute Summon, in case, things go south, that means you can still use stuff like The Prime Monarch.

Foolish Burial searches/recycles all Monarchs in the deck by sending Erebus to the graveyard. That means, it's a searcher for Majesty as well.

While I do agree about Reinforce Truth and Foolish, my question is, how do you make room for them in the deck? I mean, I could probably squeeze back Foolish into my current build but then I wonder if its worth doing the 1 Foolish and 1 Escalation instead of 2 Escalation and crap like that. And I have no idea how I would squeeze in like 2 Reinforce Truth without getting rid of ratios I don't want to get rid of (like, I currently have 3 of the field spell and it has been working out very good for me and bringing it down to 1 or 2 is something I do not want to do).

That's the biggest thing about the new Monarch stuff, the deck gets packed very quickly.

vishnubhai    6

Dumb question... But how will this deck fair against TCG PePe? I wonder if this is somewhat reliant on whether we get the remaining vassals or not, but I've really been considering flipping all of my PePe stuff, and maybe just playing this.

Well ...

jvYUUxd.png

That's a 40-card deck.

I would argue, that you either commit to the Spells or Reinforce Truth as your way to fetch Idea. Both are too much for a card, you only run 3 at most. The Spells are undoubtely faster, but lack the Escalation or Aither -> Kuraz interaction, which does hold a certain value. Especially RotA is not that good, since it still requires your NS.

Cute things like Escalation or Return don't really need to be at any higher than 1. These are cards, that contribute to brick hands early on and there are as good as searchable by Pandeity than any other card. The fact is, as long as you have 2 Tenacity in your deck, you always get the S/T, you want to have in your hand. That means, it's very much possible to cut your S/T count, while being able to retain the accessibility to them.

The Deck only needs the Structure Deck to function properly. All of the vital S/T and the most important members are in there. The Vassals themselves are not mandatory and mostly even redundant. You have 1-2 gems in Mithra or Landrobe, but aside them, the deck is plenty playable without them.

You only need to pick up some Mega Monarchs (hint: Caius), Majesty's Fiends (reprinted in a Tin) and Kuraz (a common, lol). So it's very cheap to build, especially since it doesn't need an Extra Deck (actually, it isn't allowed to have one).

Monarch pale hard against PePe. PePe is one of the most disgusting decks for a while and Monarchs in comparision are mostly inconsistent in comparision. If you play PePe and get 9 hands out of 10, that are playable, Monarchs go pretty close to 50-60% at most.

That being said, Monarchs have strong anti-meta capabilities.

mimgrim    2

Your build is quite similar to my build actually.

zGuQ3uS.png

Side deck is being ironed out still, so don't pay it much mind right now. I don't really like Kuraz, don't like the idea of giving my opponent free draws at destroying stuff on their field, even on reaction, or clearing my field of stuff for draws because I don't want to leave myself open. I'd rather just play a 3rd Mega Caius.

@NB96

At the subject of Maxx "C":

How can this deck break PePe fields? Even if you get ~ +5 cards, the Normal Summon reliancy, Solemns everywhere and Infinity are extremly hard to play around. It only takes PePe to hit Idea or TMSF to stop you from playing and that's pretty bad, especially if you consider, that it drains your resources hard.

You would need to able to break the field, lock them down with Dominion + Majesty and hope, they don't mess with you between all of this. If you fail at any point, you won't survive the follow-up.

I would argue, just so side Maxx "C", and dedicate more main deck space for better T1 consistency, so you don't allow to happen any of them.

captainameowica    3769

@NB96

At the subject of Maxx "C":

How can this deck break PePe fields? Even if you get ~ +5 cards, the Normal Summon reliancy, Solemns everywhere and Infinity are extremly hard to play around. It only takes PePe to hit Idea or TMSF to stop you from playing and that's pretty bad, especially if you consider, that it drains your resources hard.

You would need to able to break the field, lock them down with Dominion + Majesty and hope, they don't mess with you between all of this. If you fail at any point, you won't survive the follow-up.

I would argue, just so side Maxx "C", and dedicate more main deck space for better T1 consistency, so you don't allow to happen any of them.

main deck maxx c is actually quite the good card against tcg players, specifically americans. it's kinda a weird thing to be honest, your opponent can know EXACTLY what deck you're using and literally every single card in your possession. yet for some reason, tcg players freak and just say nope not worth it.

maxx c, in conjunction with effect veiler, is actually quite formidable against pepe. you maxx c at the opportune time, typically plushfire, draw yourself 2 or so cards, then negate wizard with effect veiler when he hits the board.

now will this happen all the time? absolutely not. but playing 3-4 hand traps can't hurt THAT bad.

what's with everyone loving majesty's fiend so much? like you realize you stop your own deck as well. i mean sure i understand the concept of majesty's fiend + march = dmx ruff rydin 4 lyf but ultimately i feel game 1 it helps lead to even more brick hands than the monarchs by themselves. 

maybe i play the deck differently than everyone else but i tend to be as aggressive with card advantage as possible. i feel as if majesty's doesn't really do that as it slows your own deck down in the hopes of MAYBE locking your opponent out of the game.

also why would you guys not play 3 dominion? it's literally strong against every deck in the meta and even in the mirror it's strong. sure both you and your opponent don't play with an extra deck but the ability to bring out a mega monarch with only 1 tribute is significantly more important. it also lets you preserve your monarchs stormforth which is hands down the best card in the mirror match.

i dunno maybe i'm crazy then again i've been up for like 36 hours without rest so if i'm posting dumb shit forgive me

How is Majesty supposed to be a hindrance?

If you want to use Monarch effects, you just tribute him for a Monarch. Only the Vassals are really impeded, but if you have Majesty up, you aren't exactly in need of them.

Not to mention, if Majesty is a brick, then every single Monarch is one as well. Heck, Majesty is a single Tribute, that means it works with Eidos and Mithra by themselves and doesn't require Idea or Dominion to get it out. Unlike its vain brother it has the exact stats of a Monarch, that are required for Return or Tenacity. It's the best single Tribute monster for the deck.

You cannot play aggressively with this deck, since it has a low ceiling. It cannot OTKs and you get 2 Tributes at most in per turn, at best something akin to Mega Monarch + Majesty to lock your opponent down, after hurting them with Erebus or Caius. Not to mention, Majesty + Dominion is one very real lock against most decks nowadays, since 9 out of 10 decks are Rank 4 or other Extra Deck access.

3 Dominion will brick. It's a Field Spell, so you only need 1 at a time and you have so many ways to search it, that the 3rd copy is redundant.

Having no Extra Deck is irrelevant, since you don't play Zaborg Turbo in the TCG (until we get N'tiss). 

captainameowica    3769

How is Majesty supposed to be a hindrance?

If you want to use Monarch effects, you just tribute him for a Monarch. Only the Vassals are really impeded, but if you have Majesty up, you aren't exactly in need of them.

Not to mention, if Majesty is a brick, then every single Monarch is one as well. Heck, Majesty is a single Tribute, that means it works with Eidos and Mithra by themselves and doesn't require Idea or Dominion to get it out. Unlike its vain brother it has the exact stats of a Monarch, that are required for Return or Tenacity. It's the best single Tribute monster for the deck.

You cannot play aggressively with this deck, since it has a low ceiling. It cannot OTKs and you get 2 Tributes at most in per turn, at best something akin to Mega Monarch + Majesty to lock your opponent down, after hurting them with Erebus or Caius. Not to mention, Majesty + Dominion is one very real lock against most decks nowadays, since 9 out of 10 decks are Rank 4 or other Extra Deck access.

3 Dominion will brick. It's a Field Spell, so you only need 1 at a time and you have so many ways to search it, that the 3rd copy is redundant.

Having no Extra Deck is irrelevant, since you don't play Zaborg Turbo in the TCG (until we get N'tiss). 

you aren't getting my point so i apologize for not going into detail. 

the reason i prefer not using majesty's in the main is because i want to constantly further my board advantage and get pluses. yes majesty's can shut down a game but i guess the way i play i prefer constantly summoning more and more monsters to overwhelm the opponent.

you can play aggressively with this deck, especially if you're using multiple escalation of the monarchs. constantly summoning 1-2 monarchs per turn, even on your opponents turn, is certainly considered being aggressive. sure you won't otk your opponent (even though you do have the potential to) but throwing 2800 +1s on the board every turn is just as good.

playing anything less than 3 dominion seems wrong in my opinion. dark world never played only 2 gates, dragon rulers never played only 2 ravine, gravekeepers never played 2 necrovalley. yes we have access to it at all times but in my testing, i've always wanted the third copy. does it lead to brick hands? no, it doesn't. pantheism helps to deal with that problem as well as aither and erebus (granted you'll be sending from the deck more often than not). if the card is ever a problem you can always send it via aither and erebus when using their effects so you don't draw multiples.

i dunno man maybe it's just my playstyle. the times i've ever encountered the problem i haven't complained too much truthfully. for every bad hand you get 2 good hands with this deck. at least i do =/