rei

Mass shooting at Oregon community college

Wumbologist    14205
Fuck. I'm in Oregon right now but Roseberg is pretty far away from me I believe. I think it's down south closer to the California border.

Edit: looked it up on a map and it looks like it's more in central Oregon. About 3 hrs from where I am in Portland.

Soul    7941

Wasn't weed just legalized there for rec use? Momentous day overshadowed by some sick fuck(s).

fractal    2488

Wonder how many more people have to die before we give up guns in this country.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

TonySK    618

brother, the gun debate was over when nothing was done after schoolchildren were killed.

• Upvote 3

+Gemstone Mine    2731

When people stop scapegoating the issue onto gun control and look deeper into why this events occur (failure to recognize sociopaths and other mental disorders that lead to these events, infuences of the media in making the shooter famous, extremism, etc), we can have this discussion.

Because if you actually think that giving up guns is going to stop events like this, then you are woefully ignorant of events in other countries.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 12

Jesus the Jew    986

US has by far the most shootings and the most guns in the world. The closest comparisons are Yemen, France, Russia and Philippines. Having the ability to easily mass murder people has just as significant an impact as the lack of mental health awareness. It will be damn near impossible to screen the mental health history of every single person in the US (especially a person has never considered getting assistance), without people giving up a significant amount of privacy to the government.

fractal    2488

When people stop scapegoating the issue onto gun control and look deeper into why this events occur (failure to recognize sociopaths and other mental disorders that lead to these events, infuences of the meda in making the shooter famous, extremism, etc), we can have this discussion.

Because if you actually think that giving up guns is going to stop events like this, then you are woefully ignorant of events in other countries.

Sociopath and psychopath aren't the same. Also, even if we could recognize any/all mental disorders (there are things like psychotic breaks, PTSD, etc, that can all cause shit to come out of nowhere, btw), how much surveillance would the general population need to endure to keep an eye on them? People don't even like that the government listens to phone calls to find potential terrorist cells.

, then you are woefully ignorant of events in other countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Also: http://news.stanford.edu/news/2014/november/donohue-guns-study-111414.html

+Gemstone Mine    2731

im not going into this discussion right now, forget it. Pointless right now, thoughts go out to the vicitms and the families

»Satchmo    3224

My heart goes out to those in Oregon.

»Noelle    5849

It's pretty simple, mental health issues is what drives people to do this and guns and easy access to them is generally how people get it done. Ignoring either side is stupid, both need to be solved but what I will say is that it's a hell of a lot easier to take away some guns than it is to weed out these people before-hand and try to treat them, especially doing so without infringing on any personal liberties barring that of the second amendment. Going about one solution is easier, quicker, and arguable more effective than the other here. There will always be fucking lunatics, but there won't always be guns for them to kill people with, hopefully. That's all I have to say on the matter.

• Upvote 3

»Noelle    5849

Also to the inevitable and obnoxious "don't turn this political" and/or "this isn't the time," when the fuck is the time? When the next group gets shot at? It may be uncomfortable, but these things need to be talked about especially in this context.

• Upvote 3

+Gemstone Mine    2731

Would you like your fun fact of today?

Here it is: The U.S. does not have the highest death toll per capita in mass shootings. The U.S. does not have the most mass shootings per capita. We don't even make top 5. The actual top 5 all consists of countries that highly restrictive gun laws.

Of the top 10 on the list, only iirc 2 are considered to have permissive gun laws.

We have the most incidents by far, but our incidents on average are significantly less lethal than other countries.

Just saying.

• Downvote 8

+Gemstone Mine    2731

I'm not saying that we can't do better, but saying that guns means less lethal mass killings is just ignoring a lot of evidecne to the contrary

»Noelle    5849

Is there a point of comparing ourselves to other countries? Ideally we minimize them as much as possible and even if your unsourced "fact" is correct, even if we have, like if we have 50 mass shootings in a year and another country has 80 that doesn't mean that we don't have a problem that we shouldn't STILL deal with.

edit: typed before your second post half-ninjad

k read it

uh, source? what evidence? links? haven't we given info to the contrary?

+Gemstone Mine    2731

lemme go dig it up

The source iirc is the Organization of Economic cooperation and development and other statistics

+Gemstone Mine    2731

Here's one for the period of 2009-end of 2013

lemme see if I can dig up an older one or one with a larger time period

http://archive.is/f4gbv

Like I said, the number of incidents is extremely high for us, so it may not be as accurate in terms of death toll, but for our population we score only at 6th

+Urthor    10234

Would you like your fun fact of today?

Here it is: The U.S. does not have the highest death toll per capita in mass shootings. The U.S. does not have the most mass shootings per capita. We don't even make top 5. The actual top 5 all consists of countries that highly restrictive gun laws.

Of the top 10 on the list, only iirc 2 are considered to have permissive gun laws.

We have the most incidents by far, but our incidents on average are significantly less lethal than other countries.

Just saying.

Yea so the thing you're not mentioning is that the USA is in fact #6 on that list, and the top five consists of Norway/Finland, both countries with a very high level of gun ownership because of a hunting culture and what researchers have long observed as a trend of long arctic daylight hours during summer leading to extremely high frequencies of suicide and other extreme behaviours amongst the mentally ill.    Next is, Slovakia which while guns are technically illegal is in fact a 2nd world post communist democracy with all the entrenched issues of violent crime et all, and finally Israel and Switzerland, which are fairly unique countries in that their citizens have to both undertake mandatory military service and are obliged to keep their military service weapons stored in their closet.  Israel also has the issue of Islamic terrorism.  

Not to mention when there's 196 countries in the world and you're #6 it's hard to say you might not have an actual problem???

• Upvote 17