Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

imac 27'' new

Aaron    2022

http://www.apple.com/uk/imac/

I am contemplating buying this beast for my bedroom. 

Which configuration would you suggest I go for? 

3TB Fusion + 4.0ghz processor or is that overkill?  I have a gaming rig in my lounge for gaming tbh so I think I already know my answer.

I'm pretty much buying it for the 27'' 5k beautiful screen and mac OS X.

I miss using a kb + mouse rather than laptop. feel its so much nicer for productivity. 

ggggg    3613

please don't buy this

sent from my apple watch

• Upvote 9

Chris Buraseru    10480

Not an expert, but can't you build something that runs better/equal to this? I mean it looks sleek obv, but fuck that Apple Tax. Just seems a bit excessive.

I would say check if a local best buy or whatever equivalent you may have near you has a demo model for it and see if you would like it from there.

I don't know what you're planning to do on your PC, so idk if you need anything higher than the base configuration or if you need a hackintosh with a 27" monitor.

Not an expert, but can't you build something that runs better/equal to this? I mean it looks sleek obv, but fuck that Apple Tax. Just seems a bit excessive.

It depends on how much a person values 5k and their brand loyalty I suppose. 5k resolution monitors at that size are expensive as fuck alone (seen them for $1,000 at the lowest) but 4k monitors aren't that bad.

Also Apple always has the sleek shit that looks nice and professional to a lot of people.

There's also other factors like OS exclusive software and shit.

Aaron    2022

I already have a MBP + iPhone. imessage/facetime/icloud/itunes match and apples whole syncing shit has been integral and seamless to my life. Really don't want to trade that in for 10 different applications to try and fiddle with them to sync over 3-4 different devices. 

A monitor alone of that quality seems to be setting me back a fair bit of money as I was contemplating just buying a monitor and plugging in my MBP. 

I already have in my lounge a 4670k overclocked to 4.2ghz w/a GTX 670 which I will upgrade to a next gen nvidia card once I actually start PC gaming again, 

• Upvote 1

I already have a MBP + iPhone. imessage/facetime/icloud/itunes match and apples whole syncing shit has been integral and seamless to my life. Really don't want to trade that in for 10 different applications to try and fiddle with them to sync over 3-4 different devices. 

A monitor alone of that quality seems to be setting me back a fair bit of money as I was contemplating just buying a monitor and plugging in my MBP. 

I already have in my lounge a 4670k overclocked to 4.2ghz w/a GTX 670 which I will upgrade to a next gen nvidia card once I actually start PC gaming again, 

It sounds like it would be a nice fit since you're already in that Apple circle to begin with and is willing to drop the cash for it.

But before you spend that amount of dosh on it I highly encourage you try it somewhere just to see if you like everything with it or find problems you may have with it and see if it overall performs to your liking.

+rei+    34637
5k monitor alone is worth it - make sure you get a discrete gpu
  • Upvote 1

+rei+    34637
its a computer the entire benefit of resolution is multitasking / how much shit you can fit on the screen we aren't waiting for tech to advance to the point where we can have multiple windows next to each other

+Urthor    10210

IMO the monitor is definitely the least important part of the package, YMMV but if it's 1080p it's good enough for me.  Idr get the argument for multitasking, you do one thing at a time then you alt tab you don't type a word document and type up an email at the same time.   Either you like Apple OSX v235 code named snowsugarplumblosson and want to do computery stuff on it, or you don't like it.  NM else to say.  You're not gaming on it so the overall specs aren't really going to matter I would think but get 8gb a SSD and a discreet GPU

Then again from what I remember you already have a Macbook anyway so god only knows why you wouldn't plug the Macbook into a big screen and a good Topre/Cherry keyboard, do your stuff on that and save inf dough?  

Or else you're just richer than Croesus and are happy to spend the price of a new computer just to get the monitor, but well yeah that's Aaron in a nutshell so I guess you're buying an Imac.  

if you own a macbook i dont see the reason for buying an imac. just invest in a good quality screen?

Idr get the argument for multitasking, you do one thing at a time then you alt tab you don't type a word document and type up an email at the same time

uhh what? having 2 windows open at the same time makes your work easier and more convenient when you need a reference to something. 

• Upvote 1

Soul    7942

IMO the monitor is definitely the least important part of the package, YMMV but if it's 1080p it's good enough for me.  Idr get the argument for multitasking, you do one thing at a time then you alt tab you don't type a word document and type up an email at the same time.   Either you like Apple OSX v235 code named snowsugarplumblosson and want to do computery stuff on it, or you don't like it.  NM else to say.  You're not gaming on it so the overall specs aren't really going to matter I would think but get 8gb a SSD and a discreet GPU

Then again from what I remember you already have a Macbook anyway so god only knows why you wouldn't plug the Macbook into a big screen and a good Topre/Cherry keyboard, do your stuff on that and save inf dough?  

Or else you're just richer than Croesus and are happy to spend the price of a new computer just to get the monitor, but well yeah that's Aaron in a nutshell so I guess you're buying an Imac.  

this seems like its written by someone who literally does nothing productive/work related on their computer. having multiple windows/tabs open is vital, as most of the time you are referencing multiple sources. if i didnt have dual monitors at work, it would easily take at least 1.5x more time to complete. 

• Upvote 1

Soul    7942

shit its the entire reason i have 2 laptops at home. i also have an imac but honestly, i am not a fan, mostly because the systems i use at work aren't very compatible. it just looks nice in the living room. 

ggggg    3613

its a computer the entire benefit of resolution is multitasking / how much shit you can fit on the screen we aren't waiting for tech to advance to the point where we can have multiple windows next to each other

u wot m8

Aaron    2022

Hmm I'll sit not his for a while I guess. The reduction in time I spend on any form of computer does make getting an iMac a bit of a waste I guess unless a 27'' screen would suffice as a TV in my bedroom. Then I'd totally have enough of a reason to buy it. 

I feel like that 27'' 5k screen will help me enjoy content way more.

Also I find it incredibly difficult/impossible to do ANY research which requires 5-20 articles open at any moment in time on my macbook pro (as soul said basically). 

I wouldn't mind getting a 5k monitor. Every 5k monitor I see on the scale/quality of the iMac screen however seems to be around the same price once I factor in KB/Mouse etc. The iMac has the advantage of being a faster better computer than my MBP and built to comfortably utilise the 5k display seamlessly. 

The disadvantage is that the iMac has a shorter lifespan than a 5k monitor which could be used for my gaming rig (although honestly I doubt I will ever game on a PC monitor again as I prefer bigger screens).

I am tempted to just sit on the 1-2k and wait for OLED TVs to drop to around that price and buy one so I can dump my samsung LED to my sister. 

Aaron    2022

Ipad pro I am interested in but I just don't feel you can beat a keyboard and mouse for use of content ATM. 

I no longer do note taking of any kind since I started work. 

fractal    2488

I don't understand why you'd get an iPad Pro when, in order to use it like a laptop, you'll have to buy the keyboard separately, doesn't include a trackpad, and if you want the Pencil, that's another $100 as well (so you're looking at spending $270 in accessories minimum, and that's after paying $950 for the 128 GB capacity (because let's face it, you're going to want more than 32GB on it), pushing your purchase to a little north of $1200. Not worth it, imo. I highly doubt you'll ever use it in the same way you would a normal tablet, simply because of its size (though, watching movies on it on your lap is a thing, I guess), and the Pencil (and overall design and direction in general) is really completely targeted at graphic designers. tl;dr don't buy a tablet to replace your laptop/desktop. Might as well just get a 13" MBPro w/ Retina.

Aaron    2022

Yeah exactly... I like the idea of an iPad pro but I just won't use it a lot. And the storage decisions apple have made is really just taking the piss. And again agreed, the price is quite high.

I already have a 15'' MBP Retina so I guess I'll just hold onto that. 

Apples latest releases such as the 12'' Macbook with only one port and an iPad Pro which continues to have shitty storage space options just make me feel like they are purposely gimping stuff for the next iteration.. and its just VERY obvious. 

The iMac 27'' on the other hand does seem fairly decent.... I think if my job allowed me to do more work at home or I got into research, I'd get one. ATM I'm struggling to really make myself believe its worth the £2k when I can get a new graphics card for my gaming rig for £300 and have £1700 spare to spent on  new suits etc. 

+rei+    34637
i think the one port was a misguided aesthetic decision more than an intentional gimping considering how USBc works in general

I do think the 27" imac is a good deal for what it is

Aaron    2022

totally fucking misguided tho.. like what the fuck were they thinking.

did no one at any point say look.. what if someone wants to charge and use this bitch at the same time...

and that adaptors are uglier than a sleek nice port. 

wtf.

Yeah a 27''imac for the quality of screen real estate is so tempting!! I kind of wish I saved and got that instead  of my macbook pro.. I feel like a retina in 27'' is an infinitely nice experience than a retina 15'' screen mbp. 

i mean to be fair, the new macbook does appeal to a certain crowd. i for example have rarely ever plugged anything but my charger into my mba for the 3+ years i've had it.

+Paraliel+    8030

uterrr

Aaron    2022

Hmmm 

currently deliberating over an iPad pro at the moment. Has anyone got one or had any experience with one yet?