Sign in to follow this  
Nish

Overwatch

Nish    251

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqnKB22pOC0

http://eu.battle.net/overwatch/

Overwatch is an upcoming team based FPS game made by Blizzard, currently in closed beta.

Anyone here got beta access? It looks so good :(

• Upvote 3

»Paraliel    7986

Pre-orders have been posted as of Blizzcon happening right now.

You will have access to all heroes/maps/content barring skins upon purchasing the game (making it buy to play).

Three new heroes have also been announced as of Blizzcon.

Game is set to be released in the Spring of 2016.

Nish    251

Already preordered this - hopefully they announce beta keys for preorder holders sometime after Blizzcon :p

Mei looks like a cool new hero, those ice walls seem like they'd have a lot of play potential

• Upvote 1

Chris Buraseru    10519

Pre-orders have been posted as of Blizzcon happening right now.

You will have access to all heroes/maps/content barring skins upon purchasing the game (making it buy to play).

Three new heroes have also been announced as of Blizzcon.

Game is set to be released in the Spring of 2016.

nvm

Axle    1220

If you're going to charge money for further characters, then the "Players need to have every character for team balance" excuse doesn't hold at all. They should just do the same model as Smite where you can pay a price for all future character content ($40) or play the game like a normal F2P title. That way they're still making money off the new content.

Axle    1220

"If you buy it you will get all the heroes and maps currently announced" was the wording stated. 

People have been talking  and upset with this wording for the past few hours on the reddit (multiple topics) and no dev has clarified it at all. So it's a bit suspicious there. But on the other hand they might do expansions for a full pack of heroes and that's what they're talking about. Hopefully it gets clarified soon.

+Urthor    10297

m8 it's Activision.  If you expected anything different nm else to say

»BoraxTheLean    7111

If you're going to charge money for further characters, then the "Players need to have every character for team balance" excuse doesn't hold at all. They should just do the same model as Smite where you can pay a price for all future character content ($40) or play the game like a normal F2P title. That way they're still making money off the new content.

Have you considered becoming a CEO of a big data company?

• Downvote 1

Axle    1220

How about I be a gameplay programmer and at least have my voice heard? That'd be a good plan and a more enjoyable career for me. 

»BoraxTheLean    7111

How about I be a gameplay programmer and at least have my voice heard? That'd be a good plan and a more enjoyable career for me. 

Check your scope bro.

Axle    1220

Really though, why are you so on on the Blizzard Kool-aid that any sort of criticism of them makes you go on attack? You do the same thing in Hearthstone thread.  They're humans just like you and me. 

Check the responses here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/3rsxgo/so_paying_for_future_heroes/

Actually look at the entire front page:
https://www.reddit.com/r/overwatch

They've clearly made up their mind on the payment model, so no need to be vague about it. Once people know, they'll make their judgement. It's only been a few hours which is why it's fine, but ending Blizzcon without any answer would be pretty shitty.

Last time I'll respond to you, since really we're just derailing the thread for your own selfish needs to bother someone and defend Blizzard's honor.

• Downvote 1

»Paraliel    7986

Really though, why are you so on on the Blizzard Kool-aid that any sort of criticism of them makes you go on attack? You do the same thing in Hearthstone thread.  They're humans just like you and me. 

Check the responses here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/3rsxgo/so_paying_for_future_heroes/

Actually look at the entire front page:
https://www.reddit.com/r/overwatch

They've clearly made up their mind on the payment model, so no need to be vague about it. Once people know, they'll make their judgement. It's only been a few hours which is why it's fine, but ending Blizzcon without any answer would be pretty shitty.

Last time I'll respond to you, since really we're just derailing the thread for your own selfish needs to bother someone and defend Blizzard's honor.

Being the opposite isn't any better.

Axle    1220

Actually I'm just "Let's wait and see" since the start. But I did want to inform people on the current situation. 

But apparently that isn't even allowed. Don't let the one-liner trying to bait (and succeeding unfortunately) set the tone for you. I was never demonizing the company, I am just concerned like everyone else outside DGZ.

I don't mind if they do character expansions that also include new game modes and features or something. Releasing characters one at a time would be bad since it encourages power creep to sell content. However the expansion method would split the community too. 

Nish    251

Current Beta Stats:

82000 matches played

Average match length: 7:34

Most played hero: Pharah

Highest winrate hero: Symmetra

New Heroes:

Mei - Ice based hero with wall creation abilities, an ice-block and a big blizzard zone control ultimate.

D.Va - Rides a mech which can fly and has TF2's heavy style gatling gun. Can self destruct the mech for huge damage with ult.

Genji - Shurikens as ranged, sword as melee, can reflect projectiles. Ultimate is a melee swing that instantly kills anyone you hit while it's active.

New Map:

Based in Hollywood Boulevard

»Paraliel    7986

Honestly at the end of the day, aren't there other games like Sm4sh that sell "heroes"?

I mean yeah it would suck to not be like Smite, but I wouldn't burn Blizzard's house down over it

• Upvote 1

»Paraliel    7986

Basically my mindset is

If the game is fun

buy it

If it isnt or you dont like it

dont buy it

and dont pre-order then get upset that you didnt get what you wanted (fuck pre-ordering)

• Upvote 2

Axle    1220

Honestly at the end of the day, aren't there other games like Sm4sh that sell "heroes"?

I mean yeah it would suck to not be like Smite, but I wouldn't burn Blizzard's house down over it

Mostly. It's a bit different when you don't just pick a character and "main" it like fighting games. You can switch mid-game and certain characters can be good counters to other. For example, the D.va trailer they show her completely neutralizing Pharah. So you are in a much better situation with that character to deal with that situation. 

I'm a heavy TF2 player so really I'm probably going to end up getting the game no matter what.

Nish    251

Q&A: (Paraphrased because typing is hard)

Q: Will Mac's be supported?

A: No, too challenging to support it.

Q: Have you thought about adding modes where you can't switch characters etc?

A: We're experimenting with new modes all the time - Capture the Flag etc but we've been having some issues with how some of the heroes work. We'll be looking into it furthur down the line.

Q: Will you be making a specific Overwatch controller for PC?

A: We like the idea!

Q: Long winded Keybind Question

A: We're going to eventually add a per-hero keybinding as it's a highly requested feature. Also per-hero settings.

Q: How does the pricing work?
A: Right now, there are only 21 heroes and you get them all with the price. It's going to be a future decision as to whether or not more heroes will be added and how to go about implementing them cost wise, but for now we're working on getting a solid stable launch and extra heroes will come later down the line.

Q: Were there any elements you played around with but couldn't make work?

A: Absolutely, we tried so many things - our studio is based on iteration.

Q: How modder friendly will this game be? Can I make custom skins and maps?

A: Blizzards studio philosophy supports modding wholeheartedly, we'd like to figure out how to get that going with Overwatch but with our aim of a good release in spring, it's not looking like modding functionality will be added but it's something we'd like to support later on..

Q: As you expand your heroes, how are you going to keep them all unique?

A: We're very happy with our current 21, they feel very diverse. At this point we're committed to 21 and we haven't thought much beyond that. They complement each other very well.

Q: I couldn't understand a word this guy was saying, something about skins?

A: We haven't thought about skins changing the gender of the characters - out of the gate we want as many of our skins as possible to support the lore and the backstory. We'll leave the gender-bending to the cosplayers!

Q: When will the new characters be released for the beta?

A: Sometime next week probably.

Q: Now that the game is being released for consoles, have you looked into doing split screen co-op?

A: It would be awesome, but we've not got plans to support it at this time.

Q: You spoke earlier about rebinding keys - I wanted to ask about changes to the UI?

A: You can change FoV, disable the UI entirely, but we don't plan to have a fully customisable UI. We'll keep adding more features as we get more suggestions.

Q: You talked about balancing characters. Are you planning on investing in esports with the console version or the pc version?

A: We look at our 3 platforms as equal and we know there's going to be amazing players on all of those. No official plans at this point though.

• Upvote 1

»Paraliel    7986

Q: How does the pricing work?
A: Right now, there are only 21 heroes and you get them all with the price. It's going to be a future decision as to whether or not more heroes will be added and how to go about implementing them cost wise, but for now we're working on getting a solid stable launch and extra heroes will come later down the line.

aka we dont know yet

petqwe    287

When a game is / will beomce f2p, we only care about the cosmetics. Look at tf2, this game is shit and retarded, but who cares, i have a burning flames team captain, you are noob

SSJ Grumpig    5612

you paid for the original game plus a subscription fee in WoW and they still sold $25 mounts like hotcakes. they are masters of marketing to their existing customer base, cosmetic or otherwise, and i really doubt most of us have the moral fortitude to not play a game that looks fun due to shitty pricing models

tldr just wait and see if its fun, quit crying about $$$ it's actiblizzard ffs