x3 Deck Devastation Virus

x2 Majesty's Fiend

x2 XYZ Universe

x2 De-Fusion

x2 Retaliating "C"

x2 Grand Horn of Heaven

x1 Wavering Eyes

x1 Raigeki

I've lurked here for a little while and have read a bunch of these threads where the authors have a huge wall of text explaining their more nuanced techs in specific builds, but I hardly possess the knowledge to be able to do the same here. I started to play this game around the time Secrets of Eternity was released, so I've been playing a whole lot of catch-up when it comes to the metagame. This will be my first opportunity to jump in while most people who haven't already been playing these decks have a clean slate. I've been doing a lot of research to figure out a good deck to play until Master of Pendulum drops, so this is what I was able to come up with. I absolutely love the versatility of this deck. Most of the losses that I have had can be attributed to my lack of ability as a pilot. I have a lot to learn, that's for sure.

I'll try to point out interesting techs.

- Mainboarded Samurai Cavalry; I decided to main deck these because I felt I needed an out to Kozmo ships that aren't Ignister Prominence. Ignister is an amazing card, certainly, but I didn't want to have to rely on having a Luster Pendulum in order to make him. I found out in testing it's relatively simple for me to be able to drop this and Abyss Dweller on board to run it over without running the risk of my opponent dropping a Forerunner or Sliprider on me.

- Breaker the Magical Warrior; I think Breaker is an interesting card for this particular deck that I've not seen many people use that is being used often in the OCG. It's a Spellcaster, which lets me summon my Jigabytes and Nefarious Archfiend, a level four, AND is capable of making Trapeze Magician. On top of that, I can normal the Breaker when my opponent has a card or two set to hit the Great Horn or Solemn Warning. This card has incredible utility unique to this deck, I think.

- Majespecter Unicorn - Kirin; Since this deck Pendulum Summons so much, and with Hatricker being almost consistently live in games, it's pretty easy to put this on the field. Even if I don't summon Unicorn, it's scale is at least low enough for me to abuse Archfiend Eccentrick every turn.

- F0; Holy crap this card is amazing against Kozmo. This thing can seriously be a straight-up win condition against that deck. One of the sweetest victories I've had so far is using this to steal a Dark Destroyer, and dropping the hammer on an opponent. Just damn.

I'm open to any and all suggestions! I really need help with the side deck. I have an extremely diverse locals, and deal with a whole lot of rogue decks in addition to the meta ones. I've tried selecting cards that can deal with multiple decks, but I feel I'm missing something important.

Anyway, thank you in advancing for giving this a look!

dopespot    34

The only reason you should play less than 3 Wavering Eyes is if you didn't have a 3rd copy. It's a tutor, a combo starter with plush, a gamebreaker in the pend mirror, and a way to mitigate scale removal in against non-pend decks while also searching up Eccentrick for non-anti spell fragrance floods. I see you play the third in the sb but no, just play it md, its outrageous.

Thousand blades and Zephyros don't make sense without Laval Chain access in the TCG. Additional normal summons that aren't scales or spellcasters are bricks. Yes, they can do cool things when you draw a good hand. No, that doesn't outweigh the number of games you will open them and have weaker hands because of it. You aren't even playing the single Mathman you are allowed.

Kirin isn't viable in decks that have the ability to tutor for it, primarily because you often can't pend it and it's not only a normal summon but a tribute summon. Sure, it's a low scale but so is the third Calvalry and Vector Pendulum is viable also and both of them are level 4s.

I would absolutely flip the 2 hatricker 1 clown to 2 clown 1 hatricker. Reason being that clown is a normal summon worth 2 cards and combos better with jiga and nefarious. Its like a base xyz material which you use other cards to combo with and generate CA with via Feral Imp and Jiga. Speaking of Jiga, the second Feral imp is invaluable and comes up more often than niche things like Masqurade and Ptol/Diamond. I really suggest giving a single Masked Chameleon a try for a tutorable Ignister but even if you exclude him and just play the 2 jiga, 2 Feral is well worth it.

I feel the Lizardraw/Partnaga pair is overal low EV with the current card pool, but I understand why people play it. They are atrocious to open with but they can also win you games when you desperately need to complete a scale and can rank4.

I don't know what you are de-fusing; dolls are dead and heros could be dealt with better via dark hole. Likewise with retaliating; dolls/nekroz are dead and you would be better off just dark holing noid boards and otking them because they don't play hand traps. If anything effect veiler would be better against noids and rogue shit like heros + it can also make trish with pend summons. MST would be a good investment as you are expecting rogue since the best floodgate agaisnt pend decks is ASF which Eccentrick doesn't deal with.

Long ass post I know, but a strong pend deck with a few tricks for kozmo and a good board against rogue/floodgates and the mirror is likely the best deck for the next month. good luck

• Upvote 1

Swartzstrom    4

The only reason you should play less than 3 Wavering Eyes is if you didn't have a 3rd copy. It's a tutor, a combo starter with plush, a gamebreaker in the pend mirror, and a way to mitigate scale removal in against non-pend decks while also searching up Eccentrick for non-anti spell fragrance floods. I see you play the third in the sb but no, just play it md, its outrageous.

The point is conceded.

Thousand blades and Zephyros don't make sense without Laval Chain access in the TCG. Additional normal summons that aren't scales or spellcasters are bricks. Yes, they can do cool things when you draw a good hand. No, that doesn't outweigh the number of games you will open them and have weaker hands because of it. You aren't even playing the single Mathman you are allowed.

I'll remove Thousand Blades. Thinking back to what games I've seen him in, I've had no real way outside of Foolish Burial to make effective use of his ability. I'll take him out.

I'm not necessarily sold, however, on removing Zephyros the Elite from the deck. I've been able to normal or pendulum summon him, make the King of Feral iImps, remove for the search, then bounce back a scale to special summon him again. In a few games, I've even made an exceed with him, detached, Instant Fusion, summon again, detach, bounce a scale, bring him back, and exceed a third time. I recognize that he adds a small amount of inconsistency to what the deck does, but his usefulness so far has outweighed the negatives of him generally being a normal summon.

I will consider the advice though, and pay extra attention to how Zephyros plays into my gamestate when he's in hand.

Kirin isn't viable in decks that have the ability to tutor for it, primarily because you often can't pend it and it's not only a normal summon but a tribute summon. Sure, it's a low scale but so is the third Calvalry and Vector Pendulum is viable also and both of them are level 4s.

Conceded. Removed.

I would absolutely flip the 2 hatricker 1 clown to 2 clown 1 hatricker. Reason being that clown is a normal summon worth 2 cards and combos better with jiga and nefarious. Its like a base xyz material which you use other cards to combo with and generate CA with via Feral Imp and Jiga. Speaking of Jiga, the second Feral imp is invaluable and comes up more often than niche things like Masqurade and Ptol/Diamond. I really suggest giving a single Masked Chameleon a try for a tutorable Ignister but even if you exclude him and just play the 2 jiga, 2 Feral is well worth it.

Well

I'm a little iffy on the flipping of Hatricker and Clown. The reasoning in theory is solid. I'll test this to see if I like it in practice.

I was wondering about running the second King. Added.

I saw you mention Masked Chameleon in another thread, and it sounded interesting. I don't have a copy though, so I'll have to pick one up. Glad it's a cheap card.

I feel the Lizardraw/Partnaga pair is overal low EV with the current card pool, but I understand why people play it. They are atrocious to open with but they can also win you games when you desperately need to complete a scale and can rank4.

They're in solely because they can be searched. Sometimes, having  a scale I can search on command is awesome.

I don't know what you are de-fusing; dolls are dead and heros could be dealt with better via dark hole. Likewise with retaliating; dolls/nekroz are dead and you would be better off just dark holing noid boards and otking them because they don't play hand traps. If anything effect veiler would be better against noids and rogue shit like heros + it can also make trish with pend summons. MST would be a good investment as you are expecting rogue since the best floodgate agaisnt pend decks is ASF which Eccentrick doesn't deal with.

I have several Heroes players at my locals - that's what I kept De-Fusion in side for. I'll see if I can find a different counter that has a less stringent circumstance in what matchups it could be used in. I'll see about Veilers, and I'm considering MSTs now. Without Exciton, I'm curious to see how much backrow will start being splashed into decks.

Long ass post I know, but a strong pend deck with a few tricks for kozmo and a good board against rogue/floodgates and the mirror is likely the best deck for the next month. good luck

This is exactly the kind of critique I was looking for. Thank you for looking this over for me!

Changes to the build;

Main -

-2 Kirin

-1 Thousand Blades

+1 Samurai Cavalry

+1 Wavering Eyes

+1 Raigeki

Extra -

-1 Ptolmaeus

-1 Constellar Diamond

+1 King of the Feral Imps

+1 Gagaga Samurai

Side - 

-2 De-Fusion

-2 Retaliating "C"

-1 Raigeki to Main

-1 Wavering Eyes to Main

+2 Cyber Dragon

+1 Chimeratech Fortress Dragon

+3 Royal Decree

I'm not too familiar with this deck yet. So, with that being said is there a reason you decided on only 2 Instant Fusion instead of 3 besides maybe deck space. I mean personally if I ran 2 Norden I'd run 3 instant fusion just to make sure I can see it. I might be missing something though.

Swartzstrom    4
It seems to me that two copies of Instant Fusion is the sweet spot for this deck. That is just my experience. I think Instant Fusion is great when your engine gas already started moving, but turn 1, absolutely abhor drawing that card. I also wanted to mitigate the chances of opening more than one copy.

Honestly, most of my testing is done on YGO Pro and DevPro. I need testing partners for DN so I can get feedback.
  • Downvote 2

Swartzstrom    4
Considering removing Zephyros and siding the two Denko Sekka to main triple Upstart Goblin. Mainly for increased consistency and access to my combo pieces.

One of the big techs in Kozmo during in the YCS that I saw was the use of Light and Darkness Dragon in the mirror to keep the opposing board from going off on you. What do any of you think about siding that in this deck against Kozmo? I believe that I'd have an easier time putting it on board.

Swartzstrom    4

[spoiler]OewWxUj.png

[/spoiler]

I'm planning on going to the regionals in Charlotte this coming weekend. This is what I intend to take.

I noticed that a lot of people were siding Cyber Dragon with Chimeratech Fortress Dragon for the Kozmo matchup as an out to Dark Destroyer. Figuring that I wanted to keep my opponent guessing, I decided to side Creature Swap instead. The idea is to snatch a 3k beatstick that can't be targeted and give them a monster that will net me some advantage, such as Damage Juggler or Plushfire. The main reason I decided on this, however, is to avoid the inevitable sided Grand Horn of Heaven when I try to summon Cyber Dragon.

Effect Veiler is for Kozmo and Rogue. For Kozmo, it's there to facilitate the sided Trishula and to force Farmgirl to banish itself on summon. I may switch this to Breakthrough Skill though, so that I also have an option in the BP.

Fossil Dyna is for PSY-frame, coupled with Royal Decree. Decree itself is for decks that run a lot of backrow who have monsters that can easily out Denko Sekka...like Tellars.

Doomstar Magician is something I was curious about trying out against other Pendulum decks. In theory, it allows me to blow up opposing scales while dumping a Damage Juggler or Trick Clown in grave to draw. The fact that it's a Spellcaster with an 1800 body is a big plus for me.

I could really use some advice here, though. This will be my first regionals, so other than checking out what's going on in recent tournaments as far as decks that are topping, I'm a bit nervous and hoping that I'm making sound card choices. I could use some help here.

lightstridr    6

Might I suggest running Cyber Dragon Drei or Core in place of the Creature Swaps in the side? Since they are normal summons, even if they Grand Horn Chimeratech the damage is already done, plus Core can replace itself if you have an empty board. Personally I'm running Triple Iron Wall in my side with 3 mained Reptiers.  Bear in mind that they can resolve their own big ship once it hits the grave even after you steal it, so I would attempt some testing before you go ahead with that. System Down is always a fallback.

I also think you need a side deck out to Infernoids/BA since those two decks are still things this banlist. Retaliating "C" is my current side for these as getting it can result in a blowout in your favour and searches Maxx C to thin the deck.

I like Ragnazero. Card is free removal if you resolve Mirror Conductor, and if you have Mirror on field you can disrupt your opponent's turn. Personally I'm also running Heartlandraco for those games where you need to execute someone after whittling them down.

Doomstar is an interesting proposal. Bear in mind Dark Renewal is now available in TCG.

I am currently running a Brilliant Fusion engine in mine, I think this would take the place of your Upstarts in that build. It acts as a Foolish and drawing multiple Brilliant isn't a huge issue since you can just discard the extra and swing with Seraphinite. Was running 2 Brill 1 Garnet when I played the deck but am heavily considering 3:1. Garnet is abhorrent to draw into though and you'd need Emeral or something to get it back into the deck. Garnet can also act as a Chameleon target for when you don't see Vector, though you'd have to run another synchro (Framelord Omega? This guy can keep recycling Juggler.) to keep it live. Speaking of Vector, Painful Decision can get Vector into the grave + add one to your hand to make Chameleon live whenever you need it.

Not sold on Nefarious personally. I think it's not a great card to run, but that's my own opinion and you may find it works great for you.

dopespot    34

I also think you need a side deck out to Infernoids/BA since those two decks are still things this banlist. Retaliating "C" is my current side for these as getting it can result in a blowout in your favour and searches Maxx C to thin the deck.

While I agree these decks do exist, Pendumlums are the bigger deck (i.e. more powerful deck); we don't sb hate for the opposition, we sb counter-hate for their floodgates/hate because they aren't likely to beat us without hate. Noids should only beat us via a big reasoning/monster gate play, and while I see the logic in sbing reta c for that specific play, you have to weigh the opportunity cost of not only playing reta c, but also drawing it when they also draw and play reasoning/gate for a big mill. In the end, while reta c can have a huge impact against Noids (and pretty much only noids), the chances of you having reta c AND them having not only reasoning/gate, but a BIG reasoning/gate, are overall slim and thus not worth the slots allocated to defeating such a specific, relatively rare play. Likewise with BA; the deck has power and is relevant, but isn't as strong as our deck in a vacuum and overall the cards you play to specifically counter that deck just won't deliver returns on investment vs. playing counter-hate like MST. If hate is ignored, you are much more likely to beat their deck than they are to beat yours; thus you play the common outs to their common hate.

I am currently running a Brilliant Fusion engine in mine, I think this would take the place of your Upstarts in that build.

Not going to diss the brilliant fusion engine, in addition to the reasons you stated as its literally 3 additional foolish, which equates to a possible 7 plushfire (who is redic) for opening hand calculations. But upstart isn't the card to be taking out for an engine that brings additional consistency. The reason we play Upstarts is to have a higher probability of opening Wavering, Dracoslayer, plush/foolish/brilliant or any other specific card in our deck. The lp gain for our opponent is generally irrelevant; we are a combo deck that when we get our combos together we are much more likely to win than when we don't. Play Upstart. There are always other cards to cut for upstart.

Swartzstrom    4

[spoiler]

wTnj4oI.png

[/spoiler]

So I went to the Charlotte Regional event yesterday, and this is what I took. This was my first event in general, and I did absolutely atrocious. Two wins, four losses in Swiss before I just dropped out of the tournament completely. There was to be nine rounds. I would have stayed to see how other, better players were handling different situations with their Performage decks, but my friends were wanting to leave, so I left with them. Here's what I played;

Star Seraph Performage; 1-2

PSY-frame; 0-2

PSY-frame; 0-2

Deskbots; 2-0

PSY-frame; 2-1

Baby Raccoons; 0-2

I have absolutely no excuse for this, folks. Several of my opening hands gave me moves, but none of consequence that I could see. I feel as though PSY-frames are the absolute worst matchup for this deck. Every single time that I attempted to make a move, I got stopped. My PSY-frame opponents that I lost to had answers for almost every move that I could make. I thought that Denko Sekka and Royal Decree would give me answers to stop or at least slow them down, but I got shut out in both matches.

Against Star Seraphs, I could have won the last games, but over-extended into a Maxx "C" and had to play under Anti-Spell Fragrance for both games two and three. Nothing wrong here except some bad judgement calls.

The Deskbot matchup was pretty easy. I completely decimated him.

The third PSY-frame player was very obviously not terribly comfortable playing the deck at all. He made several misplays that cost him games.

Baby Raccoons - the only argument I can make in my defense here is that I had absolutely no idea  the deck works. I opened with sub-optimal hands in both games (ESPECIALLY game one), and he kept bouncing my exceeds back to the Extra with Wind-Up Kitten. He seemed to have been playing a lot of traps, so I sided in Decrees, but never actually saw them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Here are my thoughts based on my performance yesterday.

- My technical play isn't nearly as solid as I initially thought it was. After several game-changing moves, I almost immediately saw mistakes or holes in my plans, and my opponents wasted no time in punishing me for them. I have excellent players at my locals, (I'm not going to just name drop) - not nearly as well-known as Patrick Hoban or Desmond Johnson - but solid players nonetheless. I've started being able to at least keep up with them in games, but they're still far better than I am. Still, considering the company where I play, I feel as though I should not have been stomped in these games the way that I was getting.

- There were many times when I opened or drew into Foolish Burial throughout the tournament where I wished I had not removed Zephyros the Elite from my build. Being able to bounce a card that will probably just end up back on the field just to SS him was an interaction that I felt would have helped in many of the games that I lost. While it may not have turned some of my losses into victories, I would have at the very least been able to put up better fights.

- Archfiend Eccentrick is better as a one-of in my build. For Game One, Vanity's Emptiness is generally the only flood gate that I need to worry about, in which case Wavering Eyes would be able to search a copy for me. More importantly, I think Eccentricks lack of utility in my games was more due to the fact that I was running nine high Pendulum scales and only six low ones.

- Instant Fusion is a great card, and Elder Entity Norden does a great job at kick starting the deck. I do feel that, however, Instant Fusion and Norden would be better off each as one-ofs.

- My side deck sucked, but you guys probably already knew that. A playset of Royal Decree and double Denko Sekka is overkill. They each serve slightly different, yet largely identical purposes, and each one prefers going first or second differently. Both cards served me pretty well. However, I feel as though I'm dedicating too much room to these cards. This deck wants to go second so that I can shatter my opponent's boards and wreck their faces. For that purpose, Denko Sekka is staying, Decree is out.

- I slightly over-estimated the consistency of this deck. Despite it's incredible potential for game-shattering explosive plays and dumping 10,000+ damage on board with just five cards in hand, there were a few times where I opened cards that didn't do me any good. Several times I would open a Vector Pendulum with something like Instant Fusion, Upstart, Archfiend Eccentrick and maybe a Mirror Conductor. Just really crappy hands.

- I need MSTs in side. Badly.

And this is just a completely random thought; it's weird to see these interviews and posts on forums or deck profiles on builds from Patrick Hoban, Desmond Johnson, and Patrick James, and then go to one of these events and see them just walking around.

Anyway, based on my performance what I felt needed to change, this is the build that I've come up with for this deck.

[spoiler]

79OpUz7.png

[/spoiler]

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Careyious    21

I have absolutely no excuse for this, folks. Several of my opening hands gave me moves, but none of consequence that I could see. I feel as though PSY-frames are the absolute worst matchup for this deck. Every single time that I attempted to make a move, I got stopped. My PSY-frame opponents that I lost to had answers for almost every move that I could make. I thought that Denko Sekka and Royal Decree would give me answers to stop or at least slow them down, but I got shut out in both matches.

Against Star Seraphs, I could have won the last games, but over-extended into a Maxx "C" and had to play under Anti-Spell Fragrance for both games two and three. Nothing wrong here except some bad judgement calls.

The Deskbot matchup was pretty easy. I completely decimated him.

The third PSY-frame player was very obviously not terribly comfortable playing the deck at all. He made several misplays that cost him games.

Baby Raccoons - the only argument I can make in my defense here is that I had absolutely no idea  the deck works. I opened with sub-optimal hands in both games (ESPECIALLY game one), and he kept bouncing my exceeds back to the Extra with Wind-Up Kitten. He seemed to have been playing a lot of traps, so I sided in Decrees, but never actually saw them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Here are my thoughts based on my performance yesterday.

- My technical play isn't nearly as solid as I initially thought it was. After several game-changing moves, I almost immediately saw mistakes or holes in my plans, and my opponents wasted no time in punishing me for them. I have excellent players at my locals, (I'm not going to just name drop) - not nearly as well-known as Patrick Hoban or Desmond Johnson - but solid players nonetheless. I've started being able to at least keep up with them in games, but they're still far better than I am. Still, considering the company where I play, I feel as though I should not have been stomped in these games the way that I was getting.

- There were many times when I opened or drew into Foolish Burial throughout the tournament where I wished I had not removed Zephyros the Elite from my build. Being able to bounce a card that will probably just end up back on the field just to SS him was an interaction that I felt would have helped in many of the games that I lost. While it may not have turned some of my losses into victories, I would have at the very least been able to put up better fights.

- Archfiend Eccentrick is better as a one-of in my build. For Game One, Vanity's Emptiness is generally the only flood gate that I need to worry about, in which case Wavering Eyes would be able to search a copy for me. More importantly, I think Eccentricks lack of utility in my games was more due to the fact that I was running nine high Pendulum scales and only six low ones.

- Instant Fusion is a great card, and Elder Entity Norden does a great job at kick starting the deck. I do feel that, however, Instant Fusion and Norden would be better off each as one-ofs.

- My side deck sucked, but you guys probably already knew that. A playset of Royal Decree and double Denko Sekka is overkill. They each serve slightly different, yet largely identical purposes, and each one prefers going first or second differently. Both cards served me pretty well. However, I feel as though I'm dedicating too much room to these cards. This deck wants to go second so that I can shatter my opponent's boards and wreck their faces. For that purpose, Denko Sekka is staying, Decree is out.

- I slightly over-estimated the consistency of this deck. Despite it's incredible potential for game-shattering explosive plays and dumping 10,000+ damage on board with just five cards in hand, there were a few times where I opened cards that didn't do me any good. Several times I would open a Vector Pendulum with something like Instant Fusion, Upstart, Archfiend Eccentrick and maybe a Mirror Conductor. Just really crappy hands.

- I need MSTs in side. Badly.

And this is just a completely random thought; it's weird to see these interviews and posts on forums or deck profiles on builds from Patrick Hoban, Desmond Johnson, and Patrick James, and then go to one of these events and see them just walking around.

Anyway, based on my performance what I felt needed to change, this is the build that I've come up with for this deck.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Against Psy-Frames you use Mind Drain rather than Decree. If you can activate and stick it to the board (i.e they don't negate the activation before it resolves), you are almost guaranteed to win since their entire deck core stops working with the exception of their trap card (which is incidentally their only searchable out).

Vector pendulum is probably not a card you need to run. While it has good interactions with Masked Chameleon because of its 0 DEF, Chameleon is mainly used because you can search it with King of the Feral Imps and the pendulum summon it and make Ignister without having a Luster Pendulum available (who then summons a luster pendulum). An alternate use of those 3 slots is Magical Abductor. It's a level 4, Scale 3 pendulum that gives you access to Luster Pendulum, Plushfire and Eccentrick. Also can tutor Veiler with its monster effect (which is irrelevant atm). 

Swartzstrom    4
Yes, I replaced Decree with Mind Drains for the PSY-frame matchup. I'm hoping to have an easier time with them in the future.

I've seen several builds running Magical Abductor over Vector Pendulum. I'll test that. I initially thought about Abductor when building the deck, but couldn't really figure out a way to abuse her Pendulum Effect. Unlike something such as Zefra Baxia Turbo, I can only see very specific scenarios where I can get three spell counters dropped on her in a turn. I chose Vector Pendulum primarily because he negates my opponent's Pendulum Effects. Admittedly I was ignorant of it's compatibility with Masked Chameleon until Dopeshot mentioned it elsewhere.

Still, I'll give her a shot.