afr

Magician Pendulum - Discussion

Me.    1348

Has anyone seen Doug Zeef's list on the TCG player articles section? I think it is a pretty solid way of playing the deck going forward. It is interesting that he cut cards like iris and kirin but I guess it can improve some of the rather awkard hands.

I don't think I've ever seen Doug Zeef make a good deck, but here's the link because bringer of death couldn't make the effect to show what he was talking about:

http://yugioh.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=4538&writer=Doug+Zeeff&articledate=1-25-2016

• Upvote 1

I am not familiar with DGz's policy on external links for decklists. Iirc it can be considered as advertisement etc. and it is best to write down the list in spoilers. If this is not the case, next time I will do the "effort" of linking the build but yes, that was the build I referred to.

+Digbick    7365

doug zeff is trash at yugioh. He thinks maldoche was the deck to fear when nekro just came out lmfaooooooooooooooooooo

• Upvote 1

I am unaware of his competency, but some of the people here have advocated the armageddon knight engine and given this deck's current poor representation (I haven't seen a list that topped a regional post BOSH apart from the couple ones posted here), I thought we could use any available resources as a good starting point.

afr    983
Deck isn't doing well because it lost player support and is basically a worse version of pepe (Hoban's build) or a not so consistent and weaker version of pepe (regular build).

"Breaking boards" with this deck is also not an option, as it bets too much on dragonpit/pendulum call and any disruption basically turns your hand into garbage. Far too many times my pendulum call is dead because they have infinity (anyone with a brain will negate a card with a cost if what you payed was "costly"), that is a BIG issue.

And even then, rafflesia was annoying enough if you don't have kirin, raccoon or apex avian. So much that i came to consider time sword, eccentrick and stuff and by then, i knew deck wasn't real for now.

Like i've said, this deck needs to wait for next set for performapal odd-eyes Unicorn as that card validates monkey by removing the restrictions we have with joker atm to enable consistent kirin and apex, flexible and unpredictable game patterns and increasing the consistency as magicians become a real toolbox instead of risking them clogging your hands in multiples, gives much more value to sky iris and makes sorcerer a key component that allows scale swtiching and free advantage at will. I think that konami was always aiming for that to be the complete deck.

Until then or until a list, deck will have to wait on the backseat, it gives some awkward hands, opening fields are weaker than pepe, breaking fields is not easy due to your over reliance on dragonpit/pendulum call, dies to ASF and solemn easier than pepe as it puts too much on the pendulum summon, etc.

Armageddon and speedroids can only do so much.
  • Upvote 2

Cure Bin    0

And even then, rafflesia was annoying enough if you don't have kirin, raccoon or apex avian. 

Don't forget about Dragonpulse, but yeah, we need Unicorn.

Fullerene60    400

Thing is, pepe will usually make these rank 4's for free. If you are spending 2 cards (pulse+scale) on something that they made for free youll be out of the game quick.

The only success Ive had of recent Is going for floodgates, ignight combo into shogun shien+durendall wins some games as well as an odd-eyes vortex build with 3 dragons bind and 3 gozen match. Both versions needed to play monkeyboard and relied on monkey into crobat into wisdom into pit as a to hold ground with card economy.

Fullerene60    400

Also, holy shit this deck needs upstart. The only way youll win games right now is by stealing them and you need to find the unsearchable cards that will steal games (emptiness, wavering, etc.)

• Upvote 1

dexer008    800

This is what I'm playing e0e0d6825f.jpg

Just so you know the discussion threads are for discussion, and if your going to make a showcase post then you need to either intrigue us with something new or untried, and also provide explanation on card choices. When I say explain card choices, I don't mean just rattle off what the card does, explain your match-ups, how cards work in conjuction with your deck, how fast are they, do they add power to the deck etc. Basically think very carefully what you are going to say when you are new and begin posting. 

+Gemstone Mine    2595
It's an 8 scale named Performa pal that can be used as a odd eyes component for a fusion. So it's pretty important as a one of, but doesn't come out till next set

+Gemstone Mine    2595

the card name is performapal odd-eyes unicorn. its an 8 scale. This means that it solves the major dilema with monkeyboard, that you either get to play level 4s or play kirin, because if you monkeyboard, search for joker, if you set joker as a 8 scale you can only play magician and odd-eyes monsters, but if you play joker and search a magician you can't play level 4s. He enables all things 1-8. As well, because it's an odd-eyes monster, you can use it for a fusion instead of a odd-eyes dragon, so it's not completely dead if you already have set scales, and potentially enables some more otks because of having the extra 2500 beatstick around.

the effect is actually jack shit useless otherwise, but those traits alone make it a 1 off, maybe more depending.

knives1990    283
But why run unsearchable fusion since there's no Iris? I guess I'll hold my questions for when the card is near release to when I actually start looking into the build changing

+Gemstone Mine    2595

his build is terrible imo, it does almost nothing right besides using the core magicians I think. It's just bad, unless someone would like to point out what merit is the to playing a shittier version of perfomapals without the power of magicians.

• Upvote 1

afr    983
The point of odd-eyes unicorn is that it ties eveything together like someone above said: you are not restricted to anything anymore.

The last build is particularly poor and you can easily see that he has no clue and he hasn't playtested it. 1 monkey is just loltastic. 1 monkey now for wavering/emergency scales is understandable, but not post SHVI.

Unicorn is opening a pandora box. The reason as of why this deck will be good is because it is unpredictable and can adapt to every sutuation with too much freedom. When i say this, i mean it. Deck will have a bunch of extra deck options, main deck options, etc. This is the first deck where i felt like i had the freedom to put in anything i want and it will work as long as it supports the strategy i want the deck to execute (force a t1 end game, play a more value based strategy, summoming specific extra deck cards like archfiend abyss or vortex dragon, omega/paladin abuse for a slower format, otks with odd-eyes cards, etc.).

For example, lizardraw is fantastic as it becomes a free upstart goblin before you keep the combo going. Is it necessary? No, but is a good option that will expand the output if you decide to play it.

Another example is light phoenix. Is it necessary? No. Can you play it? Absolutely, he gives iris a low scale monster to search that can recycle the scales and hit for a bunch of direct damage (i.e phoenix and joker with unicorn in pendulum zone: 3800 from phoenix + 2800 from joker = 6600).

Another one is guiturtle. Do you have to play it? No. Can you play it? Absolutely.

After you combo off with pendulum sorcerer, you use standar lizard + turtle combo to dig for iris/terraforming/wavering eyes. If you got iris, you are in an incredibly strong position as you transform turtle into more CA the same turn.

Raccoon. Do you have to play it? No. Can you play it? Absolutely.

What raccoon does is provide better kirin access and you can play rank 3 easily now with lizardraw. Investing a bit heavier in raccoon for totem is also an option.

Apex avian. Do you have to play it? No. Can you play it? Absolutely.

The problem of this card was that the deck had fringe consistency with the 8 scale, so it was only good in great hands, but not anymore. 1 card scale with many ways to achieve it, put it in a great spot as a t1 play.

The same can be said about other cards like xiangke, trump girl, etc.

In fact, magicians are just there to allow you to set-up emergency scales or toolbox levels, i usually just switch around them with sorcerer when is necessary (i.e. facing a backrow deck, you are going to need pit on board instead of unicorn).

If you plan on playing magicians, i urge you to play standalone performapals as they are now and then use the knowledge you had of the magician deck and build from there. By all means, don't try to just add unicorn to a regular magician build as a regular summoner's art is just the same.
  • Upvote 2

dexer008    800

I think I would run 2 odd-unicorn if I could. To me running 5 of a card seems like a perfect ratio to seeing it, though I could be mathematically and in theory wrong. 3 maxx and 2 ghost/ veiler I usually see 1 in hand. 3 iris 2 terraforming I see iris every game.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone been testing the new performapals in here yet like Afr said? I was thinking of what he was doing and trying out guiturtle, pend wizard and lizard draw. This deck though will be very tight for space as is, unless we cut everything down in the main engine to about 2. But that in more likely sense is wrong

Alternatively, and this is a stretch, we could just go over 40 and run each as a 1 of, because the fact 3 monkey and joker makes everything in the deck searchable. I know 40 and below is always correct, but this deck could still function between 40-45 I believe. 

The extra deck however is another can of worms to work with. 

Cure Bin    0

I have been testing them, Phoenix is pretty nice because it's a searchable low scale that alongside Nobledragon M. is an Ignister or another Synchro LV.8, while browsing the other Performapal cards I noticed that Secondonkey becomes pretty useful because it can search everything  when the scales are set, it would be a nice combo with Sorcerer.

afr    983
You have to play magicians as a toolbox, not as the main engine anymore. You won't need 3 dragonpit anymore (you play 1-2 unicorn, 3 monkey, 3 joker, 2-3 iris, 1-3 sorcerer, pendulum call, 1-2 copies of dragonpit,3 wisdom and any copies of terraforming), nor more than 1 odd-eyes. Stuff like xiangke recovers viability, etc. You don't need to run a lot of performapals either if you don't want to either. This is the part where i understand that deck came full circle, it is possible to get away with a bunch of one ofs as deck is basically all searchers.

Magicians fulfill the role of more consistency and versatility, they are not the lone players anymore. In fact, most of the bad hands with this deck are bexause you don't have dragonpit or because you have multiple magicians, performapals solve that while providing magician extra consistency and easier CA. Magicians give performapals the versatility and muscle they need.

I think they have a nice synergy even if it is entirely possible to just play odd-eyes performapals.

dexer008    800

I think monkeyboard going to 1 is what will really hurt. I mean fuck, we will probably have to use second donkey now just to search the 1 monkey, 1 joker to fix the bad hands, or go back to triple pendulum call and be right back where we started because we can't just rely on monkeyboard instantly setting up our scale now with odd-eye unicorn next set. 

Cure Bin    0

Indeed, Monkeyboard and Skullcrobat to 1 are really gonna hurt, on the bright side Pepe is more weakened over this than us and we can run Secondonkey and Sorcerer with little problems.