afr

Magician Pendulum - Discussion

Gosick    49

I think it's worthwhile now trying to make a deck built for going second, making a super unbreakable t1 board is no longer as big a problem unless we're forced first against kozmo or water (if we're going first blind we should be making dweller anyway), and monarchs will likely be the most popular deck due to price+viability.

dexer008    804

Indeed, Monkeyboard and Skullcrobat to 1 are really gonna hurt, on the bright side Pepe is more weakened over this than us and we can run Secondonkey and Sorcerer with little problems.

I've had a day to let the news sink in, and I think moving forward Sorcerer will probably be what we need to most undeniably add to the deck. Veiler will be much more stronger against us and people will be more then likely using it, but unless we strictly go back to using magician's as the scales I don't see a good way to reliably to use performapals to set up a 1/2 - 8 scale. With juggler banned as well, Avian and pendulum call now more then ever should probably be used or maxed just so we have an advantage against opposing wavering eyes. 

afr    980
Speedroids deal with wavering eyes better than avian as they can be used when you go second too (t1 totem bird deals with them), unlike avian.

Armageddon deals with wavering going second aswell (and first if you deem key beetle a need for wavering). Sorcerer deals with wavering going first.

The whole point of arma + speedroids are the field spells. Chicken game + armageddon (+1), terrortop or a way to summon AFD (+1), etc. The good part about those is that they are good in multiple situations, so they are more than "cute". Your best hands usually involve armageddon + terrortop and terraforming.

+Satchmo    3210

Also be aware that Armageddon + a lv7 deals with Wavering going first, since you can go into Stardust Dragon

Swartzstrom    4
So how many Sorcerer are we playing? Are we trying to get Monkeyboard and Skullcrobat Joker to hand as quickly as possible? Are we even playing Monkeyboard? Are we adding any other Performapal monsters to the build, perhaps Secondonkey? I'm kind of lost here. I've been trying different builds, but have been having precious little success. For example, I had no idea Armageddon Knight and Speedroids were being played together. I've been trying each engine independent of one another. Maybe I'm just not following as closely as I thought I was.

Careyious    21

So how many Sorcerer are we playing? Are we trying to get Monkeyboard and Skullcrobat Joker to hand as quickly as possible? Are we even playing Monkeyboard? Are we adding any other Performapal monsters to the build, perhaps Secondonkey? I'm kind of lost here. I've been trying different builds, but have been having precious little success. For example, I had no idea Armageddon Knight and Speedroids were being played together. I've been trying each engine independent of one another. Maybe I'm just not following as closely as I thought I was.

Now we have 1 Joker & 1 Monkeyboard, I'm really not feeling like Wizard is a good card for this deck. There just aren't enough good targets to search for. I also feel like with access to cards like Stardust, P. Call and Avian, I think don't magicians need to clear our scales before passing turns because the odds are remarkably stacked in our favour now to resolve a wavering eyes going against PePe without them being able to respond in kind. 

• Upvote 2

Fullerene60    378

Youre absolutely crazy if you dont think sorc is still a good card in here.
The errata makes pend sorceror bonkers. You can now use it on your chicken game after its been exhausted to net a search.

As for new targets, there is still splashmammoth, silverclaw, turn toad and lizard draw. Not the best but sometimes youve gotta make sacrifices to access the sheer power  pend sorc has.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

afr    980
Sorc is too good. Opening sorc/Donkey/arma with terror (or alternative way to summon ancient fairy) and chicken game is incredibly gamebreaking as you go + a bunch of cards, full extra and scales in hand for t2.

The truth is that we were barely scratching the surface of magician cards, deck is incredibly versatile and there are a lot of ways to go around to.build it.

Swartzstrom    4
I'm trying Speedroids and Armageddon Knight together, and I do like the build. I have a hard time finding room for Kirin now, though, lol. I haven't been able to get up to my locals to test with friends, and I have no idea how long I'd have to grind ranked DN to play against good players.

Evolkaiser    5

So now that PePe has been hit hard and Monarchs will probably be the most popular deck (cheap cheap cheap)

What's our ideal turn 1 now?

Edit: I usualy go for a Omega/Absolute

Swartzstrom    4

How can you fit both engines? I mean, Aren't they like 10 cards together? 

Well, your primary Odd-Eyes Magician engine only comes out to be around 25 cards. I think that's the primary reason why this deck is so adaptable. Once you have those core 25, you have plenty of room to fit in whatever it is that you want to use.

• Upvote 1

Careyious    21

Youre absolutely crazy if you dont think sorc is still a good card in here.
The errata makes pend sorceror bonkers. You can now use it on your chicken game after its been exhausted to net a search.

As for new targets, there is still splashmammoth, silverclaw, turn toad and lizard draw. Not the best but sometimes youve gotta make sacrifices to access the sheer power  pend sorc has.

I would really like to run Pendulum Sorcerer (since I have a playset not in use atm), but isn't this adding a whole bunch of sub-optimal cards just for the sake of using Wizard? Meaning you might go super plus, but you're searching cards that are kind of win-more or otherwise don't really add a huge amount of value. 

Looking at the targets you've suggested (if someone suggests better targets I'll amend this point):

• Splashmammoth, it's pretty much a win-more card that just lets you combo harder. Let's you go more plus over the one copy of Odd-Eyes Fusion we run, is a pretty much the worst scale at 4. 
  • Silverclaw, a 5 scale is not great for us, like losing access to summoning our level 6 & 7 targets is pretty bad since they're arguably what defines Magicians over PePe. His effect isn't hugely relevant when we already have pretty big monsters that can't be boosted further (since they aren't performapal). Partnaga might be a better target since that lets stuff like Zangke, Odd-Eyes and Avian run over Monarchs. 
  • Turn toad. This is the best search target of the ones suggested.
  • Lizardraw is a 6-scale which is effectively a 5-scale since no one runs Stargazer, and locks us out of the big dudes, and we can't really go Guitartle > Lizardraw for the draw power since Guitartle isn't great in this deck for similar reasons. 

Something else I was thinking after reading the Water discussion is that since we have access to Trishula & Psy-Framelord Omega, perhaps attempting to summon them first turn in an attempt to take as many cards as possible out of their hand for their first turn might be the way to go when being forced to go first blind. 

dexer008    804

Right now sorcerer has limited targets, but come SHIV we will have odd-eyes phoenix and unicorn to add to that list. So running something along the lines of 1 monkey, 1 skull, 1 phoenix, 1-2 unicorn, and the splash mammoth if you want seems like a fair amount of decent targets to add off sorcerer. 

Cure Bin    0

With the advent of the Monarch deck and other players getting Kozmo, Is it time to main more Xiangke? Before the list I just mained one, but now I'm seriously thinking in maining 2 because it can negate Ehther and Infinity, besides being a LV.7.

BKI    18

With the advent of the Monarch deck and other players getting Kozmo, Is it time to main more Xiangke? Before the list I just mained one, but now I'm seriously thinking in maining 2 because it can negate Ehther and Infinity, besides being a LV.7.

Which relevant deck will make Infinity? Ptole is banned.

Xianke can stop Ehther but he can't stop her summon effect - she's stronger than him -  and he still doesn't advance your own plays. I think one is more than enough and probably still better sided unless it becomes clear that monarchs are the best deck and stoppinp Ehther is that important.

• Upvote 1

Virtuoso    104

Which relevant deck will make Infinity? Ptole is banned.

Xianke can stop Ehther but he can't stop her summon effect - she's stronger than him -  and he still doesn't advance your own plays. I think one is more than enough and probably still better sided unless it becomes clear that monarchs are the best deck and stoppinp Ehther is that important.

kozmos themselves. but yes rarely enough to not be major

»victor    6396

They're not really relevant because only budget and casual players have been playing Dinomists so far, but it is worth noting that they can make 1 card Cyber Dragon Infinity via Rescue Hamster. That deck is already LV 5 Machines, so you don't need Ptole in the first place.

It's that people who played Dinomists can't afford CDI, and if they had it, they'd have played Pepe in the past.

I mean if you wanted to get into it, Deskbot 001 lets you make Chanbara or Catastor (both LV 5 Machine Synchros), so you can reduce the # of Dinomists you use for XYZ, saving them for the Extra Deck.

It's little things like that, which casuals don't realize, and so the deck has a lot worse rep than it deserves.

It reminds me, back in the olden days, a lot of themes never saw competitive success because if you had Dracossack, you would be playing Dragon Rulers, not deck X.

• Upvote 1

boots88    124

They're not really relevant because only budget and casual players have been playing Dinomists so far, but it is worth noting that they can make 1 card Cyber Dragon Infinity via Rescue Hamster. That deck is already LV 5 Machines, so you don't need Ptole in the first place.

It's that people who played Dinomists can't afford CDI, and if they had it, they'd have played Pepe in the past.

I mean if you wanted to get into it, Deskbot 001 lets you make Chanbara or Catastor (both LV 5 Machine Synchros), so you can reduce the # of Dinomists you use for XYZ, saving them for the Extra Deck.

It's little things like that, which casuals don't realize, and so the deck has a lot worse rep than it deserves.

It reminds me, back in the olden days, a lot of themes never saw competitive success because if you had Dracossack, you would be playing Dragon Rulers, not deck X.

Dinomist are weak abd Deskbot can only do well with optimal hands. They're not something to worry about.

»victor    6396

One thing that Dinomists have going for them is that Charge returns monsters to hand, so your Extra being locked down by Dominion isn't as big a deal as it is for other Pend decks.

The other thing to note is that Dinomist Charge is a Dinomist card so it can be protected by the Dinomist Pendulum effects vs Twin Twister, MST and such. So you actually have a Factory or Whirlwind that has in-engine protection.

---------

The other interesting thing that Dinomists have going for them is Rex is a sort of non-targeting Seitsemas + Thestalos, and being WATER, you have access to Spirtual Art Aoi as well (the Mega Thestalos effect).

I mean, you could probably even play Dinomists and Monarchs together given that you have Cydras who can be Pend'ed as fodder again, work with Stormforth, and Thestalos fits the discard bill and regular Caius gives you the removal the deck lacks.

Prime gives you Rank 5s, and Mega Mobius is viable as well in here.

-------------

Lastly, the criticism about Dinomists being weak doesn't really hold water because you do have cards like Abyss Dweller, Limiter Removal, Moon Mirror Shield (and what's more you can protect the equipped monster with Pendulum scale effects), and you can probably consider Juragedo to boost Pteran and so on.