afr

Magician Pendulum - Discussion

knives1990    262
To pick discussion up for this topic, I thought I'd post my current list with some explanations, as I've begun to take a different direction than what was previously considered standard, such as Kirin, avian, etc.

3 wisdom eye
3 dragonpit
3 oafdragon
3 armageddon
3 terrortop
1 takentomborg
1 red eyed dice
1 tuning magician
1 zephyros
1 nobledragon
1 dragonpulse
1 joker
1 OEPD
1 kirin

3 wavering eyes
3 upstart
3 pendulum call
3 terraforming
3 chicken game
1 sky Iris

1 meteorburst
1 BRD
1 AFD
1 clear wing
1 stardust dragon
1 enlightenment paladin
1 absolute
1 utopia beyond
1 castel
1 dire wolf
1 abyss dweller
1 nightmare
1 totem bird
1 break sword

To start off, you'll notice that instead of maxing out on cards like Kirin and similar cards, I'm taking the theoretical approach that I never want to open with those kind of cards. In fact, I don't want to really see them period but I acknowledge the use Kirin has and include him at one because he does help me make utopia when I'm going for the odd eyes otk. Speaking of odd eyes, he's another cars I never want in my opening hand. While his pendulum effect is useful, it's too slow and I'll never use it unless I feel somewhat safe doing it, which turns out to be hardly ever. It's searchable afterall. I want my opening hand play to consist of terrortop, armageddon, or even both if possible. the deck is 31 cards before you factor in potential deck thinning so I'm really likely to see those combinations and I've built my gameplan/extra deck around this theory. I want to be running the most consistent deck possible. the side deck is also built to reflect the main deck choices, like a single zombie world to fit the terraforming engine, dragon for armageddon going 2nd, and even menko and tri eyed dice for the terrortops.

Back to the main, I'm running 3 pit and 3 oaf again because apart from seeing a terror top and/or armageddon, all I want my deck to do is to be able to pendulum summon and filling my deck with more pendulum magician monsters achieves that goal. There's not many strong supplemental engines for the deck that I have tested like we had with performages. While terror top and armageddon are some really strong engines, they can't act the same way. So instead reinforcing my ability to gather both scales and monsters to summon seems more ideal now. Dragonpulse is also solid as fuck and I'm sure others are considering him if not already using him like I saw Dexer doing.

In the extra, there's just a bunch of situational power cards that the deck is geared towards going into with specific plays. It's such a nice toolbox, yet I still feel like there is untapped potential there that I'm not seeing

Cure Bin    0

How do you make the Odd-Eyes OTK with only one? Because the whole combo generally makes 7800 of damage, and if you have used an Upstart or two the damage you need increases on top of that, also, your extra lacks Trapeze, a card that can help you with that.

Hoodwink    3

What ratio of Speedroids and Armageddon Knights should we be playing? I was thinking 3 terrortop, 1 red-eye and 1 taketo along with 2/3 armageddon knights, 1 rota, zephyros and tuning magician. I've been lurking and reading for a bit and I was curious as to the exact combos these engines pull off? I know about the Armageddon Knight combo that ends with Nightmare and a level 8 synchro, but I was wondering what the Speedroids actually contribute. Apologies if this is more basic knowledge, but I couldn't really find any detailed posts about it before and I thought it would be good to ask :)

EDIT: I also saw on the PePe thread that with the number of Vanillas we run, we could play Splashmammoth/Trump Witch to summon First of the Dragons, which is relatively hard to get over. It's probably a sub-optimal, terrible idea, but it did seem somewhat interesting

Careyious    21

EDIT: I also saw on the PePe thread that with the number of Vanillas we run, we could play Splashmammoth/Trump Witch to summon First of the Dragons, which is relatively hard to get over. It's probably a sub-optimal, terrible idea, but it did seem somewhat interesting

To confirm to conclusion that was reached over there it is indeed a sub-optimal card. Overall, there are quite a number of outs do the card in a number of decks including Wavering Eyes' third effect, Raigeki, Dragonpulse, Treacherous, Bottomless, Solemn, etc. This card was at its best during Nekroz format where decks ran pretty much 0 outs to it and had no way of playing around it. 

• Upvote 1

Hoodwink    3

To confirm to conclusion that was reached over there it is indeed a sub-optimal card. Overall, there are quite a number of outs do the card in a number of decks including Wavering Eyes' third effect, Raigeki, Dragonpulse, Treacherous, Bottomless, Solemn, etc. This card was at its best during Nekroz format where decks ran pretty much 0 outs to it and had no way of playing around it. 

Sweet as. The card seems good against random rogue, but Kirin already breaks necks in that department anyway. 

afr    980

What ratio of Speedroids and Armageddon Knights should we be playing? I was thinking 3 terrortop, 1 red-eye and 1 taketo along with 2/3 armageddon knights, 1 rota, zephyros and tuning magician. I've been lurking and reading for a bit and I was curious as to the exact combos these engines pull off? I know about the Armageddon Knight combo that ends with Nightmare and a level 8 synchro, but I was wondering what the Speedroids actually contribute. Apologies if this is more basic knowledge, but I couldn't really find any detailed posts about it before and I thought it would be good to ask :)

AFD to dig secret village when you have kirin.

To set-up double AFD or AFD + clearwing play.

To summon absolute through meteor.

To summon totem bird if you go first to not lose to wavering.

To summon breaksword/brd when going second and not have to fear the pendulum summon.

If you have armageddon and speedroids at the same time, you can easily get a bunch of juice of a field spell (mainly chicken game) or lead into r4+omega.

Hoodwink    3

Would one be running Instant Fusions and Norden in addition to these engines? Space in the extra seems incredibly tight as it is already, but the card itself is so powerful and gives you an additional push for if they stop your Normal or Pendulum summon

knives1990    262

AFD to dig secret village when you have kirin.

To set-up double AFD or AFD + clearwing play.

To summon absolute through meteor.

To summon totem bird if you go first to not lose to wavering.

To summon breaksword/brd when going second and not have to fear the pendulum summon.

If you have armageddon and speedroids at the same time, you can easily get a bunch of juice of a field spell (mainly chicken game) or lead into r4+omega.

How are you making these plays

afr    980
My magician list runs max terraforming and multiple field spells (atm, 3 chicken, 1 iris, 1 village but the ratio can easily change) if you need to (when we get performapal odd-eyes cards, this is something that will happen).

Special summon terrortop and normal summon dice to change to level 7. Use AFD to pop chicken and gain another field spell.

If you have the same subset of cards and armageddon, you special summon armageddon in defense mode with AFD to dump zehyros and then bounce armageddon and dump tuner when you pendulum summon arma back. Alternatively, you can bounche chicken game for extra draw.

Double AFD dragon was easier to set-up before joker limit but it is easiy to pull. Any lv4 monster, summon odd-eyes and sync with tuner. Grab tuner with oaf and special summon with AFD.

AFD enables terrortop, bunbuku and armageddon knight so the normal summon wasn't a constant conflict. This deck is incredibly deep amd still baffles me when.i see people running multiple xiangkes and dragonpulses with odd-eyes while not maxing kirin.

More for me i guess.
  • Upvote 2

knives1990    262
thanks for those explanations, I hardly ever consider AFD's other effect because most of the time it's not turn one, but you're right the deck is very deep. It's so deep and a lot of the plays complex that I'm having a hard time figuring out what the best lines are and what cards I need to run in my deck in order to achieve the combos.

I have a quick question: are we using using TCG or OCG builds? Because my build uses Arkbrave and Felgrand in it. They both useful for recovering odd eyes monsters that was properly summoned. Also Gospel of revival for bringing back extra deck odd eyes ( expect the Xyzs) and protection. They are should be considered for the deck. Also I run Red eyes black dragon because I have REFMD in my extra and I can go for a Rebellion OTK with it.  

»Noelle    5845

There is an OCG section called "OCG land" but no one usually cares enough to post there. Mind you this is a website primarily of, and for, competitive TCG players, mostly North American but some European and Australian. Anyway, anything outside of that section is going to be TCG, or released in TCG in at least 2 weeks.

• Upvote 2

»victor    6400

I would think I would  sooner see infinity vs cyber dragon deck then vsing dinomists, people just are not using them.

And so it begins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEiJ4vwuk7g

-----------

It's cool how he's using Armageddon Knight to bounce Dinomist Charge.

Fullerene60    381

The video belongs in the performapal thread.

I dont see how magicians can abuse dinomists the same way performapals can.

The main component of zephy for magician is using it on an oaf that just retrieved a wisdom, then using wisdom for a second time in a turn.

!Shining Bind!    220

Greetings new to DGz here, but I've read a lot from this thread prior to making my account.

I've created a new post-adjusted list PM deck.

My ratios aren't certain but I'll continue with my views after the list. 

DN user - chrisnamikaze  (feel free to add)

40 cards : Odd Eyes Performapal Magicians              

1- monkeyboard

2- performapal unicorn 

1- skullcrobat joker

3- pendulum sorcerer 

3- performapal secondonkey 

3- dragonpit magician 

1- dragonpulse magician

3- oafdragon magician

3- wisdom eye 

3- Odd Eyes Pendulum 

1- noble dragon magician 

1- xiangke magician 

2- majespecter unicorn 

spells 

3 wavering eyes

3 pendulum call

2 sky iris 

1 instant fusion 

1 odd eyes fusion 

1 igknight reload 

traps 

1 treacherous trap hole 

1 time space trap hole 

Extra Deck 

1 Odd Eyes Rebellion 

1 Odd Eyes Absolute 

2 Odd Eyes Vortex

1 Odd Eyes Meteorburst 

1 Clear Wing Synchro 

1 Majespecter Paladin 

1 Castel

1 Abyss Dweller 

1 Traptrix Rafflesia 

1 Trapeze Magician 

1 Utopia Beyond 

1 Red Eyes Flare Metal 

1 Norden

There's the deck ! 

Considerations-

Dropping Secondonkey, Instant fusion, norden

Additions Luster Pendulum, Ignister of Prominence (kozmo out) , Utopia, Utopia The Lightning, or Apex Avians

My worries are Kozmo DD which is why I listed Luster and Utopia. This list is post Shining victories as well (unicorn)

DN- chrisnamikaze 

testing and discussion welcomed 

You need to lurk more. Without any sort of analysis at all, this is a post that belongs in deck garage, not here

Hoodwink    3

Do people feel that Tuning Magician is worth a slot or even two to enable Synchro plays? It works well with Arma if you're using it and can be pitched for Pend Call. I like how it enables use of Ignister, Trishula and Stardust, but it does make the Extra a lot more cramped. My Extra atm is:

1x Meteorburst

1x Absolute

1x Vortex

1x Ignister

1x Flare Metal

1x Norden

1x Rafflesia

1x Castel

1x Dire Wolf

1x Dweller

1x Trishula

1x Stardust 

1x Utopia Beyond

1x Black Rose

1x Odd-Eyes Rebellion

There are cards that I have missed, like the second Meteorburst or Absolute, but I'm uncertain what to cut to make room. The synchros have been testing pretty well. Being able to recur the fodder is excellent instead of them being lost when you make an xyz. But again, some input would be appreciated as to what people are running in their extras and what to cut or make room for.

knives1990    262
If you're running speedroids and red eyed dice, clear wing is a staple as you can make with just a single terrortop, either using the normal summon or not using it. If you're running a big field spell engine, you should also use ancient fairy dragon. Lastly, if you run armageddon engine, u need evilswarm nightmare

Hoodwink    3

I'm not playing Speedroids at the moment nor the field spell engine. I'm gravitating more towards Instant Fusion, Armageddon, Zephyros and Tuning Magician. It's just testing at the moment, so I guess we'll see. I own a NIghtmare, but I'm not sure what to take out. Big Eye will probably take Flare Metal's place if I can get one. I find the extra very tight, and it's a bit of a struggle figuring out what's optimal and what is not (and the fact that I suck haha)

dexer008    805

I would use omega over stardust or something, he allows you to keep summoning synchro's each turn. I don't know how I feel about focusing on rank 4's like you've put in, most rank 4's are significantly weaker then the rank 6,7's this deck can produce. If one were to focus on synchro's, perhaps luster pendulum could be used as well and to be able to use the other effects of ignister, rising majester and also include mighty dinoster

Cure Bin    0

Why are you focusing in R4 in place of R6~7? I mean, you're claiming that Tuning Magician makes you extra cramped when you're running Norden of all things, also, you need a Nightmare if you're running the Armageddon engine.

Hoodwink    3

Instant Fusion helps remedy the cost of using either of the vanilla magicians, since you can pitch a 4 or nobledragon and use instant fusion to synchro or make an xyz play. Luster Pendulum could be a good idea. Stardust is only there for turn 1 if you don't open pend call, but you do have the armageddon knight and scales. It stops wavering eyes against pendulum decks and random board clears against others, but the main application is to open it and rafflesia against PePe which prevents them from blowing you out as well as stymieing their plays. 

I am curious as to what others are playing in their Extra though, so if someone doesn't mind putting up a list for comparison, that'd be really good

Cure Bin    0

That doesn't sound so bad, but I wouldn't give up a slot in my Extra deck for that kind of play, no idea about your deck, but in mine I rarely need to do R4, and if I need to then I use Armageddon with Zephyros or something like that while with the Synchro stuff, I use the Speedroid engine too so I don't have problems with it.