afr

Magician Pendulum - Discussion

My deck speclizes more in Xyz plays than Synchro, but if I had to go with a easy to summon synchro , what about Azure eyes sliver dragon? The card only requires a level 2 tuner which is easy to do and it just needs dragonpit to summon and it can bring back any normal monster in your grave. Which means you can bring back any dragonpits.The only thing is that you will need to have Dragon pulse as your low scale instead of Oaf magician to have the tuner pendulum summoned, or summon it through normal summon.

Also If you want to use it, may I suggest siding or putting in your extra,Trish the ice barrier dragon? The stats and effect are nice and It is easy to summon if you use wisdom and joker/pulse/ any other level 4. The only thing I'm not sure of is that: Is tuning magician restricted? I can't remember.

knives1990    260
You already have oafdragon to recycle most of your graved pendulums when you ditch for a pit or pulse, and nobledragon you actually want in the grave. Plus as others have said you're giving up a super valuable extra deck spot for one instant fusion
  • Upvote 1

You already have oafdragon to recycle most of your graved pendulums when you ditch for a pit or pulse, and nobledragon you actually want in the grave. Plus as others have said you're giving up a super valuable extra deck spot for one instant fusion

Yes,but you can also use Azure as a mini-oaf, he can target the Dragonpits while you can recover one of your odd eyes or noble for Discard fodder again with Oaf. Also I don't really think Instant fusion going to be useful since it banishes one of your pendulums ( Unless you have some non-pendulum level 4 or lower monsters in your grave). Also hoodwink, why are you running dire wolf? Last time I checked, there no beast-warrior monsters in Odd eyes. ( unless I'm missing someone)

Does anyone have trouble beating Cyber dragons using odd eyes? If you do,I have a tip that I just want to let you know about since it may be helpful in the future. A Dragon pulse protected by Pend call or sky Iris can destory Cyber dragon infinity.
  • Downvote 2

How are you even making azure honestly, there's no lvl 2 tuners that I'm aware of that would work here

The card only requires a level 2 tuner which is easy to do and it just needs dragonpit to summon and it can bring back any normal monster in your grave.

Also If you want to use it, may I suggest siding or putting in your extra,Trish the ice barrier dragon? The stats and effect are nice and It is easy to summon if you use wisdom and joker/pulse/ any other level 4. The only thing I'm not sure of is that: Is tuning magician restricted? I can't remember.

"Simply adding a level 2 tuner gets you all of this cool shit, it's just that easy"
I don't even want to comment on "siding Trishula for when you have Joker Dragonpulse and maybe if Tuning Magician is unrestricted, didn't check wiki lol"

Yes,but you can also use Azure as a mini-oaf, he can target the Dragonpits while you can recover one of your odd eyes or noble for Discard fodder again with Oaf. Also I don't really think Instant fusion going to be useful since it banishes one of your pendulums ( Unless you have some non-pendulum level 4 or lower monsters in your grave). Also hoodwink, why are you running dire wolf? Last time I checked, there no beast-warrior monsters in Odd eyes. ( unless I'm missing someone)
Does anyone have trouble beating Cyber dragons using odd eyes? If you do,I have a tip that I just want to let you know about since it may be helpful in the future. A Dragon pulse protected by Pend call or sky Iris can destory Cyber dragon infinity.

Yeah you are missing something, the fact that Dire Wolf is a Dire Wolf target.
And no, neither Pend Call nor Sky Iris help Dragonpulse beat Infinity. That doesn't even make any sense considering Infinity negates the scale activation of Dragonpulse, which means it doesn't get protected by Call nor is it even targeted in the first place regarding Iris, but the spell effect of Dragonpulse single handedly outs Infinity, provided that the opponent chose to not negate Dragonpulse or already got baited out.

I hope I'm not coming off as a colossal dick, but none of these are helpful suggestions. What does Azure add. Why would you invest in Azure when thus hypothetical 2 + Oaf summons Ignister. You haven't put really any thought into this considering your line of thinking for Trishula involves a 3-5 card combo that shuts out almost any other play that turn "for good stats and effect on an easy to summon monster".
  • Upvote 2

Hoodwink    3

How are you even making azure honestly, there's no lvl 2 tuners that I'm aware of that would work here

The card only requires a level 2 tuner which is easy to do and it just needs dragonpit to summon and it can bring back any normal monster in your grave.

"Simply adding a level 2 tuner gets you all of this cool shit, it's just that easy"
I don't even want to comment on "siding Trishula for when you have Joker Dragonpulse and maybe if Tuning Magician is unrestricted, didn't check wiki lol"

Yeah you are missing something, the fact that Dire Wolf is a Dire Wolf target.
And no, neither Pend Call nor Sky Iris help Dragonpulse beat Infinity. That doesn't even make any sense considering Infinity negates the scale activation of Dragonpulse, which means it doesn't get protected by Call nor is it even targeted in the first place regarding Iris, but the spell effect of Dragonpulse single handedly outs Infinity, provided that the opponent chose to not negate Dragonpulse or already got baited out.

I hope I'm not coming off as a colossal dick, but none of these are helpful suggestions. What does Azure add. Why would you invest in Azure when thus hypothetical 2 + Oaf summons Ignister. You haven't put really any thought into this considering your line of thinking for Trishula involves a 3-5 card combo that shuts out almost any other play that turn "for good stats and effect on an easy to summon monster".

I was going to post a rebuttal, but I was out at work. Bundle of Sticks has covered all the points I would've made very well. Azure is absolute trash in this deck. First of all, its effect isn't even relevant. Special summoning a Dragonpit isn't something I'd particularly want to give up an Extra deck slot and 2 monsters for, especially when the engine of the deck can do that anyway. The only reason I play Instant Fusion is that it allows for an additional push on your turn. You can use your normal summon on Joker/Armageddon and then if that gets stopped by a trap, you can use Instant Fusion for another play (Dire Wolf or Castel usually) and then if that gets stopped again, you can use your pendulum summon. It just raises the ceiling of the deck and gives it more things it can do. It's especially good with Arma Knight as it makes Instant live, as well as enabling more plays. It also lets you recur discard fodder (usually nobledragon or wisdom eye) for the s/t or monster clearing abilities of the vanillas. 

However, Instant Fusion does have the cost of taking up two main deck slots (less important) and 1 extra deck slot, along with whatever Rank 4s you choose to play. It's just about whether these costs outweigh the benefits of an increased ceiling or if they are, in fact not worth the space. I don't have the answer for that, but I was hoping that better minds than mine would have more of an idea.

knives1990    260
even if instant fusion somehow didn't take up any deck space, I'm hard pressed just to find room for the norden when we have much better monsters at our disposal. For instance this is my current extra

1 meteorburst
1 black rose
1 ancient fairy
1 clear wing
1 scrap dragon
1 stardust dragon
1 vortex
1 totem bird
1 break sword
1 castel
1 abyss dweller
1 nightmare
1 dire wolf
1 utopia beyond
1 absolute

The only card that I've really thought about taking out is dire wolf because you really don't make the rank 4s very often outside of nightmare/dweller going first, and usually castel just acts as a much better dire wolf in the situations where making a 4 is optimal. Most of the time you're winning with your synchros and rank 3s. But I would play another synchro like trishula or a 2nd fairy dragon before I even considered instant fusion/norden, or maybe a rafflesia if I wanted to play it that way. Realistically, the most optimal extra probably includes trish and rafflesia, but I don't have them tbh. But apart from them, I really don't think there's a lot of better more diverse options you could even want to choose from

Hoodwink    3

even if instant fusion somehow didn't take up any deck space, I'm hard pressed just to find room for the norden when we have much better monsters at our disposal. For instance this is my current extra

1 meteorburst
1 black rose
1 ancient fairy
1 clear wing
1 scrap dragon
1 stardust dragon
1 vortex
1 totem bird
1 break sword
1 castel
1 abyss dweller
1 nightmare
1 dire wolf
1 utopia beyond
1 absolute

The only card that I've really thought about taking out is dire wolf because you really don't make the rank 4s very often outside of nightmare/dweller going first, and usually castel just acts as a much better dire wolf in the situations where making a 4 is optimal. Most of the time you're winning with your synchros and rank 3s. But I would play another synchro like trishula or a 2nd fairy dragon before I even considered instant fusion/norden, or maybe a rafflesia if I wanted to play it that way. Realistically, the most optimal extra probably includes trish and rafflesia, but I don't have them tbh. But apart from them, I really don't think there's a lot of better more diverse options you could even want to choose from

Why aren't you running Ignister? I've temporarily dropped the Speedroids, so my build is looking a lot more "pure", but with the addition of Armageddon Knights. This why I'm using more Rank 4s and none of the Rank 3s and less level 7 Synchros. It's been testing reasonably well so far. I've just got an Odd-Eyes Fusion IRL, so I'm looking to add that in. If playing Fusion, should one be upping the count of Odd-Eyes monsters in the extra? Space is just such a major issue. I was thinking of dropping Rebellion, but the interaction it has against Kozmo with Absolute and Meteorburst makes it somewhat viable. However, it definitely is my least summoned Extra Deck Monster and perhaps it would be better to drop it in favour of something else. 

Hoban also wrote an article on the merits of running Instant Fusion in Pendulums (link below):

http://articles.alterealitygames.com/an-argument-for-instant-fusion/

A lot of my reasoning is similar to that article, but then again, it is just opinion and applies more towards PePe than Magicians. However, we can take some of theory and use it. A nice interaction with Instant is that you can bring back Joker(if used for an xyz material) and bounce it back to the hand with Kirin. If anything, I'd like to play a Big Eye and a Scrap Dragon. They're good against a wide variety of match-ups and I would possibly consider removing Norden and something else. Then again, Ignister is essentially a better Scrap Dragon... At this point, I'm kind of musing to myself though.

knives1990    260
I missed ignister, but it's added into what I was saying about playing more synchros before xyz. Scrap dragon has a lot of powerful uses, one of the better ones being going off and ending with a chicken games that you blow up for the win. Big eye is a great choice as well

Hoodwink    3

http://i.imgur.com/uxbyP5u.png

This is a list I'm toying around with at the moment. I'm liking the Fusion in the main, as it helps to create a board, as well as helping to out established boards. Foolish and Armageddon Knights are really good, since they're very versatile. It can either be a Rank 4, Tuning Magician dumper or an MST via Shaddoll Dragon. Most of the other cards are fairly mandatory. I'm testing without Instant Fusion and there are some games where I've wished I had it, but it's hard making it work with such a tight Extra Deck. I've replaced Norden with a second Vortex Dragon, since I'm playing two Absolute. I don't think this is optimal, since you shouldn't be needing two Vortex to win the game. However, you do need more odd-eyes to make Fusion work, unless you've already stacked your extra. I do think Fusion is nice if they end up clearing your scales though, since you can send dead things like Monkeyboard (after having searched Joker) away. I still think this deck needs major work though, and I do have a Regional coming up soon (hence why I've been so active), so the help of better and brighter minds than my own would be appreciated. I want the deck to be good going either first or second, with the ability to lock down with Kirin and Vortex/Rafflesia when going first and breaking boards going second. There's still plenty to be refined and it's far from an optimal list, but it is a start (for me at least). Now, if anyone has a recent build or list they'd like to share, that would be fantastic :)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

dexer008    804

This is a list I'm toying around with at the moment. I'm liking the Fusion in the main, as it helps to create a board, as well as helping to out established boards. Foolish and Armageddon Knights are really good, since they're very versatile. It can either be a Rank 4, Tuning Magician dumper or an MST via Shaddoll Dragon. Most of the other cards are fairly mandatory. I'm testing without Instant Fusion and there are some games where I've wished I had it, but it's hard making it work with such a tight Extra Deck. I've replaced Norden with a second Vortex Dragon, since I'm playing two Absolute. I don't think this is optimal, since you shouldn't be needing two Vortex to win the game. However, you do need more odd-eyes to make Fusion work, unless you've already stacked your extra. I do think Fusion is nice if they end up clearing your scales though, since you can send dead things like Monkeyboard (after having searched Joker) away. I still think this deck needs major work though, and I do have a Regional coming up soon (hence why I've been so active), so the help of better and brighter minds than my own would be appreciated. I want the deck to be good going either first or second, with the ability to lock down with Kirin and Vortex/Rafflesia when going first and breaking boards going second. There's still plenty to be refined and it's far from an optimal list, but it is a start (for me at least). Now, if anyone has a recent build or list they'd like to share, that would be fantastic :)

Accidental neg sorry. I'm not too sure what you mean by good going second, this deck is pretty good going second most of the time no? As for a better turn 1, apex avian could be considered, and for the extra you could also probably switch around diamond dire for either Psyframe lord Omega (seriously people, use him), or Norito the moral leader. I think you should also sell me the points on using foolish burial, rota, and a second tuning magician here, because if not that is 3 more slots you can use for the afformentioned apex's or you could run upstart to make 37 cards. 

• Upvote 1

Hoodwink    3

Accidental neg sorry. I'm not too sure what you mean by good going second, this deck is pretty good going second most of the time no? As for a better turn 1, apex avian could be considered, and for the extra you could also probably switch around diamond dire for either Psyframe lord Omega (seriously people, use him), or Norito the moral leader. I think you should also sell me the points on using foolish burial, rota, and a second tuning magician here, because if not that is 3 more slots you can use for the afformentioned apex's or you could run upstart to make 37 cards. 

Foolish is quite versatile in that it can pitch Nobledragon, Shaddoll Dragon (if you run it), Zephyros or Tuning Magician. This means that it becomes a combo enabler or a simple 1 for 1. Now that you've mentioned it, Omega is far more optimal than the second Tuning Magician. ROTA fetches Armageddon, since I'd rather play that and drop the third copy. Would also drop Bottomless and just play 3 Upstarts. In my testing, I find that two Absolute and two Vortex almost never come up and these would likely be replaced with Norito/Dweller and Omega. Also would possibly look into dropping Dire Wolf since he doesn't come up as much without Instant Fusion.

dexer008    804

Is running 5 foolish (3 arma, 1 rota, 1 foolish) really needed though? I agree with the odd-eyes line-up, for me I've been using 1 vortex, 1 meteor, 1 rebellion, 2 absolute to fuel fusion. 

Another idea you could use with the armageddon route is in the side board use 3 dragon's bind and master key bettle for going first against decks that special summon. 

Hoodwink    3

I'd drop an Armageddon and play 2 Arma, 1 Rota, 1 Foolish. The Dragon's Bind idea is very good. I'll definitely test that. The Side Deck is a real work-in-progress at the moment. 

Hoodwink    3

Is playing the 1 Monkeyboard and Joker enough? Or should there be an additional search target? I'm trying to think of a good one, but the only semi-decent one is Lizardraw (at least until the odd-eyes unicorn thing becomes legal)

dexer008    804

Was browsing on Youtube and found this deck profile, it's a build that came first at a regional in Worcester England; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHeFLDILnck

Monsters: 27

3 Dragonpulse Magician

2 Dragonpit Magician

1 Nobledragon Magician

3 Oaf Dragon Magician

3 Wisdom-Eye Magician

2 Xiange Magician

2 Effect Veiler

2 Maxx "c" 

2 Apex Avian

2 Majespecter Unicorn - Kirin

2 Odd-eyes Pendulum Dragon

1 Performapal MonkeyBoard

1 Performapal Skullcrobat Joker

1 Performapal Trump Girl

Spells: 11

3 Pendulum Call

3 Upstart Goblin

3 Wavering Eyes

2 Twin Twister

Traps: 2

1 Bottomless Trap Hole

1 Treachorous Trap Hole

Extra: 15

1 Odd-eye Vortex Dragon

1 Crimson Blader

1 Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier

2 Odd-eyes Meteorburst Dragon

2 Odd-eyes Absolute Dragon

1 Odd-eyes Rebellion Dragon

1 Red-Eyes Flare Metal Dragon

1 Number 11: Big Eye

1 Mecha Phantom Beast Draccosack

1 Abyss Dweller

1 Castel the Skyblaster Musketeer

1 Trapeze Magician

1 Traptrix Rafflesia

Side: 15

2 Cyber Dragon

2 Denkko Sekka

1 Effect Veiler

1 Maxx "c"

1 Twin Twister

2 Imperial Iron Wall

2 Mask of Restrict

1 Soul Drain

1 Time Space Trap Hole

1 Vanity's Emptiness

1 Chimeratech Fortress Dragon

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His comments on the deck;

"I ran trump girl because she was an extra search for monkey if say I opened joker and monkey. it allowed me to go vortex at will and not just get it off absolute eff. Basically, the idea was because juggler is no longer a thing, going second I could use wavering eyes to fuel my engine. I f i opend monkey I would often search joker and search wisdom. Wisdom eff would go off as put pit in the pend zone. I could then special 6/7 monsters. Magicians have alot of spot removal because of pit and pulse.

if i won the dice, i went second, if i lost, i still went second...only the games when I couldn't really go second did I have a hard time and thats where Kirrin, apex and xianke magiican came into action. Now people forget xianke's monster eff and it actually won me my 6th game against a BA player who summoned BLS and used eff. I chained my magician eff and negating...it. He left a field with 2 downerd, giga brilliant and bls on turn 3 of time, I ended up topping a denko sekka and having a noble dragon set on field. I made odd-eyes meteorbust looping into absolute and crushing his board."

Cure Bin    0

When you put it in that way Trump Girl doesn't sound like a bad option, even though you can't P.Summon her unless you use Dragonpulse, it seen that's what he did unless he used his N.Summon on her, though it surprises me how he's only playing one Nobledragon with so many cards that need to discard on his deck, still Trump Girl is an interesting choice that I'm gonna test.

LionHeart77    64
Tuning magician is fast becoming my favorite card in the deck. AK + scale makes Trish. Omega recycles her. The 8* synchro toolbox is pretty great. Beelze is another out to Dark Destroyer.

dexer008    804

Hey, random question, but do you guys like siding out wavering eyes against non-pendulum decks? I mean they mostly won't help against the opponent, but sometimes opening dead cards in the hand and wavering advances you to where you need to be in order to make plays, especially when running builds with non-pend monsters like the arma engine or hand traps for example. Just been thinking about it really, I'm trading 3 spells for 3 cards that either help against my match-up, or maybe I can side out 1 and other cards to have wavering to fix hands/ search pieces and other cards to help against whatever match-up.

BKI    18

Hey, random question, but do you guys like siding out wavering eyes against non-pendulum decks? I mean they mostly won't help against the opponent, but sometimes opening dead cards in the hand and wavering advances you to where you need to be in order to make plays, especially when running builds with non-pend monsters like the arma engine or hand traps for example. Just been thinking about it really, I'm trading 3 spells for 3 cards that either help against my match-up, or maybe I can side out 1 and other cards to have wavering to fix hands/ search pieces and other cards to help against whatever match-up.

The more pendulum monsters your run Amaroid (less) vs Majeroid (more) the more useful WE is even when your opponent is playing no pendulums at all. Because for WE to be useful you typically need at least 3 pendulum monsters along side it and one of them needs to be a useful scale, at the same time Pendulum Call makes WE useless so you can't count that in.

Short answer: depends on your build.

knives1990    260
For me and a buddy that plays tests virtually the same builds minus a usually few cards, we typically side out wavering against non pendulum. We thought that we should still keep in 1-2 copies for the cases where you want to use it purely as a setup card, but it turned out to brick more often in the opening hand. This deck isn't like Dracopals in that wavering = full scales plus another monster like sorcerer to replenish your scales for the next turn. Unless you're running the performapal engine that is. We found it better to side out all waverings for better cards vs each matchup

Swartzstrom    4

Odd-Eyes Performapal Unicorn seems to expand the versitility of this deck by a sigbificant degree. Through it, we now have the ability to combine the Rank 4 toolbox with the Rank 7 one via Sorcerer, and break established boards somewhat easily. We can play the Dracos here as well, and the new vanilla Tuner can be added into the deck with a couple of copies of Unexpected Dai in order to give us the ability to make Ignister without having to use the Pendulum Summon.

I'm wondering if the simple addition of Unicorn makes this a potential Tier 1 or 1.5 deck. Unicorn and three Pendulum Call makes this deck very consistent.

Here is what I've been testing with.

I'll explain my card choices tomorrow, when I can get to my laptop. I have a lot of thoughts, and my brain has checked out for the night.

+rap tap    20144

nigga how you gonna use double xianghe and only 2 pendulum call

• Upvote 1