• Announcements

• rei

Battle of the Anime Characters   02/10/17

THE BATTLE OF THE ANIME CHARACTERS HAS BEGUN   Find it here http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?/forum/615-battle-of-the-anime-x/
afr

Magician Pendulum - Discussion

490 posts in this topic

figuring out the best build for dis deck is so hard (|:|) i want to play performages but idk how optimal it works without pendulum sorcerer and the odd eyes one seems decent along with majespecter unicorn but am pretty sure apex avian just sucks period

I'm not a fan of Apex Axian. It can lead to very bad hands as opposed to Unicorn is at least a scale 2 which fits in nice

figuring out the best build for dis deck is so hard (|:|) i want to play performages but idk how optimal it works without pendulum sorcerer and the odd eyes one seems decent along with majespecter unicorn but am pretty sure apex avian just sucks period

performages have zero synergy with this deck, all the levels are mismatched. I rather just play maespecters in this instead, but odd-eyes seems to way to go. The one plus of performages though is damage juggler being able to stop WE, but you're better off just building pepe. These card don't work well together at all. 

Apex Avians shits on pend decks, but i've been finding it lackluster versus everything else and its usually the first thing that comes out unless i'm going first vs pendulum. On the other hand, unicorn is pretty great.

Unicorn isn't so good vs Kozmo but fwiw I realised the other day that Unicorn + Vortex is a makeshift equivalent (more ir less) of the Xiangke + Vortex combo against Kozmo. I think the card is pretty useful.

Is anybody playing Maxx in this deck? I wanted defense but I feel like Pendulums can stop at any time and its only a 141 against Kozmo when they drop a spaceship and they can just end their turn often enough without summoning more.

Apex Avian in itself is a strong card. It's the same old thing about combo-pieces/synergy cards vs. bombs (I think that's what they were called in an ARG text; referring to BLS in BA irc).

If you open with 5 cards and have matching scales to summon Avian, that's 3 cards to bring him on board. Leaves you with 2 more cards. Most probably these cards are some combination of pendulum monsters, considering the amount played in the deck. Or one is a spell like Wavering Eyes, Pendulum Call or Sky Iris. (note that these cards can further your game). Most times it won't be a trap.

So you can probably make a board of Avian and an XYZ (Cairngorgon, Norito, Absolute, etc.), or a set Wavering Eyes, with no further back-up and no stacked resources in your extra. Is that desirable or considered a strong board? Probably not.

What is the probability of being able to do significantly more, when Avian would have been another card and would that lead to a stronger set-up? I can't do the numbers here, but it might be worth looking into that. All considering you go first.

When going second, Avian can be summoned as a protection card vs. traps. If you summon him alongside others and opponent has Time-Space or BTH you are protected. Counter traps still ruin you, though (Scolding/Horn). Avian also does nothing to Wavering Eyes, as he's not on the board yet when the opponent flips it during you turn. Lingering/Permanent effects can also not be negated.

It really comes down to the question whether the other card you'd draw provides something stronger (in synergy with the rest of the deck) than Avian on its own. In a good, really strong combo deck, that should always be the case, imho. I am not experienced enough with the deck yet to answer the question here, though.

Is this deck relatively cheap? Being the only things that could cost some money are vortex dragons, apexs and eccentrics/ luster if one uses them?

Is this deck relatively cheap? Being the only things that could cost some money are vortex dragons, apexs and eccentrics/ luster if one uses them?

For me, it really depends on Pendulum Sorcerer. Should that card come out, Performages will be so much better than this. Which in turn would make pretty much every money spend on a full Magician deck a waste, as it will be outclassed only 4 weeks later. If Pendulum Sorcerer does not come to the TCG soon, well than Magicians are a relatively cheap deck for what its position in the meta would be.

A "little" costly are the Fusion, Vortex, Rebellion, Red-Eyes, Avian, Luster, Eccentrick, Ghost Ogre. Maybe something I forgot. The last three are not specifically for this deck, though and could be used for other (Performages) decks in the future, too. That of course also being the reason why those are bloody expensive...

More on the deck's strategy:

Is the Fusion good enough to run more than 1? Most times I find it awkward to draw. And as it is easily searchable I have been running only 1 in testing.

You can side the fusion for going second versus the mirror, or anything that you know puts more than 1 monster on board. With sky iris, its searchable and of course gets you the free vortex. I don't like it in the main, but one seems ok.

As someone who's not super competitive, is the payout from having access to Archfiend Eccentrick worth paying 120 AUD (if ebay's lowest BIN price is to be believed) for it? I'm strongly inclined to think no, since it's only occasionally going to mean the difference between winning and losing a match. 

For me, it really depends on Pendulum Sorcerer. Should that card come out, Performages will be so much better than this. Which in turn would make pretty much every money spend on a full Magician deck a waste, as it will be outclassed only 4 weeks later. If Pendulum Sorcerer does not come to the TCG soon, well than Magicians are a relatively cheap deck for what its position in the meta would be.

A "little" costly are the Fusion, Vortex, Rebellion, Red-Eyes, Avian, Luster, Eccentrick, Ghost Ogre. Maybe something I forgot. The last three are not specifically for this deck, though and could be used for other (Performages) decks in the future, too. That of course also being the reason why those are bloody expensive...

Is the Fusion good enough to run more than 1? Most times I find it awkward to draw. And as it is easily searchable I have been running only 1 in testing.

doesn't it all depend on the rank4 access pool at the time pendulum sorcerer will be available? does mage/pals realy outclasses magicians without acces to Cydra Infinity, shock master and so on..? 

We will have everything but shock master and of course lavalval chain

if I am not mistaken, utopia is still to be announced and none can says if konami decide to ban Ptolemaus right away with the release of Cydra Infinity (they proved that they knows what cards are meta-changing like the ban of lavalval chain before clownblade could be a thing in TCG). 

Initially I played 3 fusion, but i've recently cut it down to 1. 1 fusion seems to be working well so far. I think the number of copies is sort of meta dependent, and considering that we probably want to blind second, it may be nice to open up with fusion.

Went to locals picked up my 3 Avian 2 vortex dragon 1 odd eyes fusion lets go structure deck!

Joining in, I've just recently picked up my 2 Eccentrick, 3 Avian, 2 Vortex, 2 Fusion and 2 Scolding.

I am ready lol

I personally think apex avian is awful

Reusing a free negation is good, but ever card in your hand that isn't a pendulum severely hurts your chances of comboing off

It makes me want to not even play damage juggler, and honestly he probably wouldn't even be a debate for me if he didn't have the power to negate wavering eyes

I feel like majespecter unicorn can put as much pressure as avian, while being a low scale if you need it

So far I've been thinking 2/2 on Avian and Unicorn.

3 Oafdragon

2 Unicorn

Easy Utopia Beyond access.

That being said here is my list,

2 Apex Avian

2 Majespecter Unicorn

3 Insight Magician

3 Crobat Joker

3 Dragonpit

3 Oafdragon

2 Xiangeke

1 Dragonvein

1 Noble Dragon

3 Odd-Eyes

2 Eccentrick

3 Wavering Eyes

3 Pendulum Call

2 Odd Eyes Fusion

2 Sky Arc

1 Terraforming

2 Solemn Scolding

1 Solemn Warning

1 Vanity's Emptiness

The deck has only 2 non pendulum monsters in the main deck.

I personally think apex avian is awful

Reusing a free negation is good, but ever card in your hand that isn't a pendulum severely hurts your chances of comboing off

It makes me want to not even play damage juggler, and honestly he probably wouldn't even be a debate for me if he didn't have the power to negate wavering eyes

this man gets it, give him a cookie.

NO DAMNIT EVERYONE USE APEX AVIAN STOP MISLEADING PEOPLE

That was convincing enough... Right? ;_;

NO DAMNIT EVERYONE USE APEX AVIAN STOP MISLEADING PEOPLE

That was convincing enough... Right? ;_;

Said the guy thats been hyping Kozmos for months and months. I'm just sayin.

So I jjust found out that the structure deck is released a day before the Los Angeles regionals and I kinda want to run it.

(I don't pay attention to release dates lol)

As far as consistency and dealing with PePe/Kozmo/Specters/Rogue...how would this deck fair in a 10 round regionals?

So I jjust found out that the structure deck is released a day before the Los Angeles regionals and I kinda want to run it.

(I don't pay attention to release dates lol)

As far as consistency and dealing with PePe/Kozmo/Specters/Rogue...how would this deck fair in a 10 round regionals?

From my testing, it really, really depends on who draws better.  If pepe luster combos you before you go off, then they're going to be favored.

If you're playing Apex Avian and Vortex Dragon, it becomes a lot harder for them to do so as they need to work around a shi en and a walking solemn judgment.  Nothing in their deck outside of Ignister walks over Avian.

Then again, maybe Avian is just bad.  Who knows?

Yea I'm sure the fact that avian is a reusable walking solemn invalidates the fact that it's not a scale in hand hell pendulum summoning multiple avian ur a win condition on its own