afr

Magician Pendulum - Discussion

499 posts in this topic

huh, then what if you don't have luster pendulum* ?  

also wonderwand has nothing to do with magicians.

3 Plush

3 Juggler

3 Luster

3 Insight

3 Dragonpit

3 Oafdragon

3 Joker

1 Clown

1 Hat Tricker

3 Pendulum Call

3 Wavering Eyes

3 Wonder Wand

...Is this a start? Lol

I mean I just made this for an example, you'd have to test it to find the correct ratios, get the Extra right since there are other choices you could run, and find out whether some of them are even worth running but it doesn't really seem like a mess on paper. Maybe I'm biased since I think the Odd-Eyes stuff is gross and Avian is everything I would never want in a card

Monsters: 30
3 Luster Pendulum, the Dracoslayer
3 Performage Damage Juggler
3 Performage Plushfire
3 Performapal Skullcrobat Joker
3 Wisdom-Eye Magician
2 Dragonpit Magician
2 Dragonpulse Magician
2 Maxx "C"
2 Performage Mirror Conductor
2 Xiangke Magician
1 Gem-Knight Garnet
1 Masked Chameleon
1 Performage Hat Tricker
1 Performage Trick Clown
1 Performapal Partnaga

Spells: 9
3 Wavering Eyes
2 Brilliant Fusion
2 Wonder Wand
1 Foolish Burial
1 Instant Fusion

Traps: 1
1 Vanity's Emptiness

Extra:
2 Ignister Prominence, the Blasting Dracoslayer
1 Castel, the Skyblaster Musketeer
1 Constellar Pleadies
1 Daigusto Emeral
1 Diamond Dire Wolf
1 Ebon Illusion Magician
1 Elder Entity Norden
1 Gem-Knight Seraphinite
1 King of the Feral Imps
1 Performage Trapeze Magician
1 PSY-Framelord Omega
1 Stardust Dragon
1 Stellarknight Constellar Diamond
1 Tellarknight Ptolemaeus

so magicians serves as searchable scale for essentially rank 4 plays huh... 

I can't say for sure since I didn't test it but is wonderwand that usefull? you are aware that you can't use it on pendulum monster right?

I know that in the OCG, Magicians were mainly used as an engine. So who knows, maybe Performage is the way to go. I'm still a believer in the Odd-Eyes builds though.

You pretty much have the same targets as current Performage Pendulum do so that's not really an argument. There may be better cards to run over it, like Pendulum Call, but it pretty much does the same thing with the same targets as it currently does.

Its very possible I was just missing something that tied it all together but I could never get the Odd-Eyes stuff to work. Just infinite bricks. I think the deck is much better off just playing it alongside the Performages and using the Magicians as Scales and letting Pit/Pulse help you weed out cards before you Pend Summon.

This is the build I have been messing with. Debating Instant Fusion and other carts. I have tested Pendulum Call before but in many instances it has conflicted with luster and insight so decided to cut it for now. Again, this is something to give you guys ideas for ratios, by no means do I deem myself an All-star #50in07 deck builder, but maybe you can use this as a starting point.

2sb26fl.png 

No offense, but wouldn't you just rather play PePe instead of a build splashing the magicians without Pendulum Call?

Yeah, idk yet. Like I said it's something i've been testing with good results and has been just as good if not better than pepe

Eventually both decks will combine into a super deck.
The amount of options you create by combing the 2 and including kirin is staggering.

Chameleon+Decision is good but vector sucks.
Brilliant is also very good but garnet sucks.

Magicians+performages produces a deck that have very few cards that suck but also have a lot of options.
Having spot removal built into your engine (pit+vein) is key to deal with rogue cheese you need to storm through in a 15 round event

Skullcrobat, Luster, Pendulum Call, Wisdom-Eyes all can not only generate +1's but help your engine progress.
The mages let you make free xyz's for the most part.
If you throw a bunch of good cards together that have synergy your'e going to get a good deck.

PePe wont be able to keep up with this because at the moment they dont have as many cards that net easy and consistent advantage.
Once PePe gets Pendulum Wizard or even Infinity this will all change.

The ability to set up an 8 scale and throw a kirin on the board is why I believe this deck is better at the moment.
The clowns are generally a distraction, your early game plays to net advantage and your win condition comes in the form of kiring and ignister.

Odd-eyes is a weird deck. Deck has too much synergy (and yeas, even odd-eyes pendulum effect flows with the deck nicely when you have to use it) and flexibility once you understand what you have to do and how to do it, that i do not think that i have been bricking, my hands always have stuff to do; i rarely have to play odd-eyes and pass.

Meteorburst represents everything performages never want to see dropped in opponent's turn (and is everything you always want to see in a card that shouts smart card economy) while creating scenarios for cheap victories by sealing damage juggler and opening avenues to use wavering in battle phase, use utopia + odd-eyes cheat without damage juggler blocking, stops trapezee wall, etc.; and there is also kirin, that takes a dump in regular pepe or lv4 version, it's almost as if decks countered each other in weird ways (kirin and meteorburst rape PEPe, castel rapes absolute, vortex rapes pepe, tribute summon kirin by using absolute as tribute rapes pepe, so on and so forth).

Also, i don't think pendulum decks can truly give you bad hands on a consistent basis if the core of the deck is solid enough and well built. One monster with another creates consistency, that is what is good about pendulum decks and the basis of how the mechanic operates. The way i've running the deck, i am not even bothered by pretty much all of my openers.

The key with odd-eyes is winning with your monsters. You don't need to play stuff like garnet or hatricker that don't contribute a lot to your openings (opening garnet, trickclown or hattricker is going to happen once every 3 games, not exactly different from odd-eyes that is the card i see the most complaints about).

The only games i struggle is where i lose the scale 8 and have no way to put it back in play (that can usually be avoided by playing carefully with oafdragon), T1 ASF and failing to see dragonpit.

I do not know if i'm stuck with this because i have mastered the deck enough and feel confident enough in my build and choices and that i'm taking advantage of maximum kirin (which most people has yet to realize how it blocks PEPe), people still running a few backrow in pendulum based decks (blanks usually because dragonpit is that good), knowing about the utopia cheat (seriously, it is incredibly easy to pull and punishes people for playing monsters in attack position, which is dumb), focusing on meteorburst (which is godly vs anything that has clowns while using his potent effect to turbo into my deck, turn after turn), etc. or something, while people adjusts to format change and gets the hang of pendulum summoning, but i really fail to see what is so great about the lv4 build, other han my brick cards like trickclown can be set, which i don't consider a huge improvement from avian as setting a trickclown and passing is utterly weak. In fact, leaving trapeze or ptolemaeus isn't a strong t1 play either; so that version needs to find a way to use the t1 as they will go first 50% of the time. There is the problem of eating extra deck resources by using them to xyz, odd-eyes package doesn't care too much about that.

At the end of the day, I am spamming the field with better/larger monsters with Odd-eyes, which can easily otk through damage juggler or trapeze, so the walling capabilities are pretty much a non factor a lot of the times (just as absolute sucks vs PEPe and is a non factor).

The fact that OCG dropped the stuff entirely should be an indicator that it wasn't supplementing the deck as much/well as you think it does. They dumped magicians to focus on other stuff that was more synergistic and that is when someone stumbled into infamous EMEm's t1 combo. If you want to have the "best deck" find a way to take advantage of people letting you go first while still doing great going second or at least, find a way to defend yourself if forced to go first.

Right now, to me, PEPeMages heavily rely in resolving ignister to fix what is a pile of vanilla missmatched scales and i hate THAT because ignister is not easily accesible yet and chameleon combo implies that you are already in a great position (and that you have to play chameleon in the first place). Magicians do nothing to dig for plushfire, they are vanilla scales hoping to get blown so the real action starts. It is better off to keep with current performages pendulum decks with brilliant fusion as that actually helps to dig for plushfire.

Also, pleiades isn't really threatening as a blind t1 play as only PEPe mirror gives a fuck and is one of those things that it is going to get you murdered in no time (xiangke blocks it and kirin just laughs about it and if people is playing avian, they laugh aswell, etc.) and trapeze isn't really that safe either as an alternative as i can steal it with big eye, anhilate it with kirin or render it useless with meteorburst.

The cold hard truth is that other than kirin (which is sort of a time pass as it takes away a battle phase through mirror conductor and dragonpit or needs a multiple ignister drop to clear, which is not exactly easy whole anything else in PEPe can't clear it withput bleeding advantage), few things are good enough to hold these decks down for at least a turn.

With that in mind, Odd-eyes doesn't need to rely on drawing the right scales to use kirin, it just plays the kirin right away if it has it. If it can summon absolute and can tribute summon kirin after that, game is basically over.

The level 4 version tries to focus in "consistency", but it doesn't get better than 30 pendulums, search cards and upstart as filler regardless of how you choose to play the deck. Stuff like hattricker and masked chameleon are actual bad cards to draw (fill a very specialized purpose and need other cards to give you value and unlike kirin or odd-eyes, they are not half green to hopefully complete a succesful pendulum summon) and they rely a lot in your current board position to be amazing (chameleon usually needs to have executed a pendulum summon succesfully and have king of the feral imps to search it), pretty much like avian, except they can be used as blockers in a pinch if you need to, unlike avian that is a total brick while you can't pendulum. Avian is not optimal, but to me those cards are not that different either and would rather avoid them as much as possible.

Maybe i need to test more, but i think that even if odd-eyes is the inferior deck, most of the lists aren't that good yet as people needs time to figure it out entirely. I whole heartedly think that the most succesful pendulum deck is the one that can defend the best with monsters (aka, your monsters are good enough to impose conditions, so you can devote more space to advance your own gamestate which creates a better deck in the end).

That's one thing I really like about the odd-eyes build. I can answer mostly any situation with just my engine cards, thus I can devote space in my deck to better cards rather then stuff like raigeki dark hole etc. the different locks and plays available make it pretty versatile. I haven't thought of meteor burst in that matchup yet, and I can probably guess that my losses come from lack of experience

I feel like I'd just be playing a shittier version of Pepe if I cut the odd-eyes stuff and play performages.

you can play odd eyes stuff and performages. most of these lists are jamming so many terrible cards from the structure deck idgi.

you say that but really, what "bad" cards are you putting in? I'm pretty much in the same boat as Afr where I'm pretty confident in nearly everything I'm using, I just disagree with his stance on Performages. I use a very minimalistic 5 performages (3 juggler 1 hat 1 trick), cheap and free r4s to push through annoying backrow and monsters isn't something that should be overlooked

I was playing 1 of Trick Clown but I honestly hated drawing it because it wasn't half green, so I cut it and haven't really looked back. I'm playing 3 juggler 3 plush 1 mirror guy, although I may up the mirror guy to 2 but there's other cards I want to switch before him

I'm playing the Odd-Eyes cards, Performages, Luster Pendulum, and Magicians - and I've been consistently able to put imposing fields up with a variety of cards, because they're all pendulums they almost have an extra way to be synergetic with every card in the deck. 

I don't know how you cannot be playing Pendulum call. It lets you tutor for whatever scale you need AND protects your scales from the turn guaranteeing a pendulum summon, and it even lets you weed out a monster and a s/t by searching pit/ vein or searching oaf so you can do that combo and then get whatever back you discarded.

To be honest, I'm probably going to drop Dragonvein down to 1 and include more copies of Summoner's Art to insure I get to Dragonpit quicker, the worst case scenario you can even shuffle Dragonpit back with Odd-Eyes vortex. I find the deck has a plethora of low (6 and under, in my opinion) scales, and not enough Scale 8s - so more copies that help you draw into one are necessary, I'd say. 

Right now, I'm playing 3 Sky Iris and a 1 of Odd-Eyes Fusion to make sure you get to see an Odd-Eyes card. Being able to summon Vortex off of one card is insane and being able to blow up one of your pendulums (which isn't actually using a resource, your face up extra deck can almost be considered part of your hand) to search the card that pieces the whole deck together is great too. There's soooo many turns where I combo off, then use Oaf to get Odd-Eyes back and play odd-eyes in the pendulum zone again to get a search replacing the dragonpit i just used to make absolute.

I'm currently also playing 2 Nobledragon, but I'm undecided on where I want to be on this card yet. I want to make sure I see it but opening multiples is terrible, especially because it doesn't combo with any other non-magician scales. 

I think I've used noble dragon once yet, is that me playing the deck wrong or missing out on a combo's I've not yet learned? Also I have never brought out rune-eyes in the deck , nor Rebellion dragon, so are these cards worth their slot in the extra? I think rebellion yes due to his pendulum ability and being able to pop scales, but considering cutting out rune-eyes for another rank 7 or 4, unsure what though. This is what I've been toying with as of late, thinking mostly of what has been discussed as best monsters, consistency and also thinking of my budget, hence no eccentrics; http://imgur.com/ubd1p6C

I think I've used noble dragon once yet, is that me playing the deck wrong or missing out on a combo's I've not yet learned? Also I have never brought out rune-eyes in the deck , nor Rebellion dragon, so are these cards worth their slot in the extra? I think rebellion yes due to his pendulum ability and being able to pop scales, but considering cutting out rune-eyes for another rank 7 or 4, unsure what though. This is what I've been toying with as of late, thinking mostly of what has been discussed as best monsters, consistency and also thinking of my budget, hence no eccentrics; http://imgur.com/ubd1p6C

Odd-Eyes rebellion has two uses

1) being a pendulum odd-eyes monster in the extra deck (for odd-eyes fusion)

2) being a 3k beater to be summoned off Absolute

So what's this Utopia cheat?

So what's this Utopia cheat?

Utopia Beyond + OEPD =8k on a one monster field. Otherwise it's an easy 5k damage

Utopia beyond to turn their atk to 0 and beat face with odd-eyes I assume

There's not much to get. You pitch it for dragonpit preferably, then free summon it back from grave (or hand) when odd-eyes is on the field. Its how you go into meteorburst, which also starts your bigger combos. You don't really want to draw more than one in your opening hand, but you also don't want to have to waste a search on it. I think more than one is probably a good idea in the odd-eyes build.

Rebellion is necessary as long as Kozmo is a thing, since he's an out to the big ships. The best play sequence when they have a DD on board is to synchro for meteorburst with nobledragon and odd-eyes, or nobledragon and a level four, the use meteorbursts effect to SS dragonpit from your pend scale. Overlay into absolute force, then have a spare monster attack DD, chain absolute's effect to egate your own attack, detaching meteorburst, and SS meteorburst from grave with Absolute's effect. Then attack DD with absolute, which kills absolute and gives you rebellion, a 3K beater than can be used to crash into DD, and since you already have meteorburst out, he wont get the ship effect, and you can activate rebellion's effect if you wish too. If it's forerunner instead of DD, much better for you since you can crash absolute, he won't get eff and then you can bring out anything you want to go for game, or protect yourself with vortex, etc. Its one of the engine outs to kozmo big ships the deck has, along with ignister.

Rune eyes, i've never played. 

Anyone considering not using Pendulum Call, needs to SERIOUSLY reconsider.
I am not even a fan of the card and I know it is required.

I thought the minimal engine of performage would be alright (mainly to profit damage juggler) but as said I think it'l be too much non pendulum cards alongside avian (which in this case can be reconsidered)