Sign in to follow this  
Mutavault

Oath Of Gatewatch Spoilers!

JAndrees    109

actually i think ruin in wake is much worse than it looks. historically rampant growth has been great on turn 2 and just mediocre any other turn. requiring a waste turn 2 means that realistically you will need a large number of wastes in your deck. combine that with a green cost and you've got a card that's limited to being played in dedicated colorless mana deck (which then in turn don't have any basics other than forests and wastes).

it will do fine in the archtype wizards is pushing out, which is colorless matters control, but it won't have the same dominance as farseek and rampant of the past since you don't get to ramp to good multicolored 4 drops.

i would rather have them do this the other way around to boost its playability, be a rampant growth that searches out only wastes but has no field check requirement.

You'd literally have to play a bunch of Wastes to ensure turn 1 or 2 wastes, turn 2 cast this.  I just don't feel that's respectable when Sylvan Scrying doesn't care what you pick and gets you Shrine which on turn 5-6 nets you that extra mana.

Being forced to run Wastes just seems like a.... waste (pun intended).

Mutavault    2905

Mono green eldrazzi something like x4 shrine x4 evolving wilds x9 waste x8 forest then side the x1 mountain i've been testing this and its been pretty descent mana base, i don't think the sanctum is necessary anymore then you can also cut the hangars in that case, they are also awful in that deck usually the first card cut vs. anything but red decks. The spells are a little tougher to figure out but there is definitely enough resources to make a really good ramp deck now that doesn't just get lucky or gas out all the time.

Dank Memeston    1723

Farseek was only really needed to get those heavy colored decks their mana fixing while also getting them closer to Thrag/etc. In this format if we did not have the Battle Lands then I would never play Farseek as there is little point in getting only 1 color, especially in a format that is saturated in 2-drops. Even worse, this card requires you to have a wastes... :/ Now either 1. some new deck comes up that plays wastes and isn't ramp or 2. Gx Ramp (as you mentioned) are about the only decks I can think that would ever run this right now. Seeing as how easily people play that bolster growth, this seems like it would be amazing in this strategy... and if you say that it is easy enough to get this off for effect #1 then I'm sure this will fit straight into the colorless ramp strategy.

aurirevoir    2866

3-0-1 midnight prerelease w/ rw allies

no bombs (or anything over 6 cmc for that matter) but my seeded rare was stoneforge masterwork and I had a really high ally density in white.  i had solid black cards but red was a little deeper and I didn't have lifegain to take advantage of some of the black ally synergies.  won a lot of games just by making land drops and curving to 4.

8 prize packs, opened linvala and expedition mana confluence.  good way to end the night

Audioslayne    897
Little late reporting in. Pulled an expedition heath at the midnight release so I left early though I was enjoying it. Played in 2 more before the weekend was over. Overall I feel this set is one of most fun times I've had in limited as of late.

Also couldn't not share this:

[spoiler]jyme02h.jpg[/spoiler]
  • Upvote 2

packdaddy    736

i went 0-2 drop at my prerelease but i pulled a promo foil nissa and a second nissa. every game i won involved nissa carrying and every game i lost involved my nissa(s) dying or not being able to cast nissa.

Suuwo    690

Second time playing in a prerelease since I don't play mtg very often. I got carried 2-1-1 by fall of the titans. I drew my first match because I didn't know what I was doing and my opponent couldn't finish me off in time. I got carried two matches by fall of the titans and lost my last match where I didn't draw the red for fall lol. 

Pulled a thought-knot seer which was pretty good. I think I'll sell it cause of hype new set prices. I got some other pocket change pulls too so I'll need to toss those out asap as well.

The guy sitting next to me got a expedition wasteland but it was factory damaged :(

+Gojira    1712

Second time playing in a prerelease since I don't play mtg very often. I got carried 2-1-1 by fall of the titans. I drew my first match because I didn't know what I was doing and my opponent couldn't finish me off in time. I got carried two matches by fall of the titans and lost my last match where I didn't draw the red for fall lol. 

Pulled a thought-knot seer which was pretty good. I think I'll sell it cause of hype new set prices. I got some other pocket change pulls too so I'll need to toss those out asap as well.

The guy sitting next to me got a expedition wasteland but it was factory damaged :(

Dang that would suck to pull one of the best expeditions and then immediately have its value trashed.