yugiohduels777

Insta-Exodia Troll

So I'm part of this local Screw-the-Limit YGO club. It's basically that the banlist can get fucked(excuse my French) and we can have over 3 copies of a card in our deck.  We still require 40-60 cards, but that's a loose rule, we get people coming in with 70 or stuff like that.

Anywho, at last week's meeting we got a kid who had a pretty solid strategy, you can tell just by looking at his Deck list:

1x Exodia the Forbidden One

1x Left Arm of the Forbidden One

1x Left Leg of the Forbidden One

1x Right Arm of the Forbidden One

1x Right Leg of the Forbidden One

35x Pot of Greed

So what are your thoughts on this troll kid? Too good or too far?

• Downvote 42

»Noelle    5848

Moved this to the proper section, also read the rules before posting, and lurk to understand the post quality expected from members of this site so you understand what is wrong with your post, thanks. 

• Upvote 3

+scuzzlebutt    23495
an ftk deck should be judged by the consistency of its win condition. So i took to dn unrated to see what the deal was

one person quit when i activated pot of greed
one person quit when i activated a second pot of greed
one person quit when i activated pot of greed after he duoed a pot and an exodia piece. jokes on him! counting it as a win

100% winrate so far lets gooooo
  • Upvote 3

Nate1080    1233

What happens if exodia is the last card in deck, and all he has is pot of greeds? maybe he should add 1 upstart goblin !

I know you're trolling, but wouldn't you win anyways if that was the case? IIrc: card effects/victory conditions > game mechanics.

+scuzzlebutt    23495

nope, if super rejuv makes you draw 3 while you have 2 in deck you lose even if you get the last 2 exodia pieces in those 2 cards

Soul    7945

u couldnt use pot of greed with 1 card left in deck as you cannot draw 2 cards. you would actually need the upstart goblin. also if u have 2 cards in deck, an exodia piece being one the remaining cards, and you activate PoG, and the opp chains a card that forces you to draw a card also, you will lose via deckout before you able to win via exodia. all effects have to resolve first, meaning the deckout happens first technically. 

ninja'd by frogman.

u couldnt use pot of greed with 1 card left in deck as you cannot draw 2 cards. you would actually need the upstart goblin. also if u have 2 cards in deck, an exodia piece being one the remaining cards, and you activate PoG, and the opp chains a card that forces you to draw a card also, you will lose via deckout before you able to win via exodia. all effects have to resolve first, meaning the deckout happens first technically. 

ninja'd by frogman.

That's actually not true; you can win between chain links, but not in the middle of a chain link (ie graceful charity drawing into the last exodia pieces but you have to discard one = loss, activate pot of greed w/ 2 in deck, opponent chains the gift of greed = win).

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Card_Rulings:Exodia_the_Forbidden_One

»Tygo    14128

ninja'd by frogman.

That's actually not true; you can win between chain links, but not in the middle of a chain link (ie graceful charity drawing into the last exodia pieces but you have to discard one = loss, activate pot of greed w/ 2 in deck, opponent chains the gift of greed = win).

Gonna go ahead and assume you mean in the middle of a card's resolution because you just said the same thing twice.

»ACP    33421

I love that DGZ had a serious discussion about whether this decklist was optimal and came to the conclusion that it wasn't. Never change.

• Upvote 27

ninja'd by frogman.

Gonna go ahead and assume you mean in the middle of a card's resolution because you just said the same thing twice.
The two things I said are slightly differen. To clarify (hopefully): when a chain resolves, you resolve each individual chain link in its entirety, then check for win conditions after each one.

website is bad    2172

another advantage of using upstarts over pot of greed: you can side into anti-cure :^)

• Upvote 2

+scuzzlebutt    23495

I love that DGZ had a serious discussion about whether this decklist was optimal and came to the conclusion that it wasn't. Never change.

Well that was definitely not MY conclusion from extensive testing, speak for urself
  • Upvote 3

»ACP    33421

In this format, it's actually also optimal to be playing as many cards as possible.

5 Exodia

1 Upstart Goblin

34 Pot of Greed

Is strictly worse than

5 Exodia

1 Upstart Goblin

54 Pot of Greed

The reason being that decklist #2 is less likely to have an Exodia piece discarded to a Delinquent Duo and similar. If there is no limit to the number of cards in the deck at all, you'd want to run as close to an infinite number of cards as you can.

• Upvote 8

»Logic    2033

and even in a 60 card list, 35 PoG isn't optimal because of cards like Seal of the Forbidden Spell, and to a slightly lesser extent, Mind Crush and D.D. Designator.  You would want a variety of PoG/GC/Upstart/Into the Void/etc.

Apparently Frogman doesn't play against people that side in this format. What a fraud.

• Upvote 1

»ACP    33421

and even in a 60 card list, 35 PoG isn't optimal because of cards like Seal of the Forbidden Spell, and to a slightly lesser extent, Mind Crush and D.D. Designator.  You would want a variety of PoG/GC/Upstart/Into the Void/etc.

Apparently Frogman doesn't play against people that side in this format. What a fraud.

Incorrect. If they ever cursed sealed a Pot of Greed, you would lose even if your deck had a bunch of upstarts. Eventually, you'd chain a bunch of Upstarts together, hit dead Pot of Greeds and burn out.

However, if they manage to discard your entire hand t1, you'd much rather topdeck a Pot of Greed than an Upstart Goblin t1.

• Upvote 2

mark    3105

In this format, it's actually also optimal to be playing as many cards as possible.

5 Exodia
1 Upstart Goblin
34 Pot of Greed

Is strictly worse than

5 Exodia
1 Upstart Goblin
54 Pot of Greed

The reason being that decklist #2 is less likely to have an Exodia piece discarded to a Delinquent Duo and similar. If there is no limit to the number of cards in the deck at all, you'd want to run as close to an infinite number of cards as you can.

After testing the mirror match extensively, I have come to the conclusion that this deck is easily countered by a well-timed psy-frame. Experienced players will hold it for the single upstart, therefore you need to play at least a few. The mirror is very hard and skillful, for example do we rather go first and ftk, or go second and start with one more card in hand? It's also interesting to note that besides psy-frame, you can side into more exodia pieces for possibly ftk'ing while going 2nd, or just throw your opponents deck into the sea before playing. Have not yet tested droll and lock bird, but seems underwhelming since I don't want to clogg on normal summons
  • Upvote 14

+Gemstone Mine    2600

You know, the sad thing is, this thread has much higher level yugioh discussion in it than the average deck discussion these days.

• Upvote 9