Chaotrope

Paying Life Point costs if doing so would make you lose the game

Chaotrope    245

This came up in a FB group earlier, and it was such a weird question that I haven't really been able to find a conclusive answer.

If a player has exactly 1000LP, can they legally activate the destruction effect of Judgment Dragon, even though doing so would make them lose the game? Ignoring any reasoning for why they would want to do this (again, this somehow came up in a FB group I'm in).

I know there was an old thread on Soul Charge that asked a similar question, but that was a cost that could be paid without losing at activation.

»Noelle    5848

no you cant fulfil the cost so u cant act  er wait get a second opinion for tht one i know it to be true for less than the cost but idk about exact cost

soul charge you can play cus it isnt a cost and you can resolve it, even though itll kill u

Suuwo    647

If you can't pay any costs you can't activate the effect / card.

Losing life with soul charge is part of the effect not a cost which is why you can target as many monsters as you want regardless of how much life you actually have.

Chaotrope    245

no you cant fulfil the cost so u cant act  er wait get a second opinion for tht one i know it to be true for less than the cost but idk about exact cost

soul charge you can play cus it isnt a cost and you can resolve it, even though itll kill u

Yeah, I can't find any official source that says one way or the other. Wikia says you can't, but that's hardly official.

And I honestly wasn't even thinking about Charge not being a cost. It was just the closest thing I've been able to find. My bad.

For what it's worth, I told the guy it was an illegal activation, but some people have been saying otherwise, since you "technically" have the LP to pay, but it will kill you to do so.

I think it's no on both situations, on the so.charge one, you take damage on resolution and I think you can't do something that would resolve in you losing the game (unless you were resolving so.charge out of suicide range and opp chained some burn card to put you in it).

EDIT: Ninja'd

IAmTheGreat    3772
You can activate effects like Soul Charge that would result in you dying. You can't activate anything which you cannot pay the cost for

~ness00~    1013
Yeah, I can't find any official source that says one way or the other. Wikia says you can't, but that's hardly official.

It's mostly from old UDE-era rulings that say you can't activate if you have equal or less LP.

In the OCG, you can pay if you have the exact amount of LP...but you still lose.

It's not really important. If you really want to activate it to lose, just concede.

Blacklisted    1330

What if you're on like 1900 and you Soul Charge back 2 and 1 of them is Trapeze Magician?

Can you Soul Charge for 5 with Chicken Game on field and take no damage (assuming your LP were lower)?

What if you're on like 1900 and you Soul Charge back 2 and 1 of them is Trapeze Magician?

Can you Soul Charge for 5 with Chicken Game on field and take no damage (assuming your LP were lower)?

You don't take damage from soul charge you just lose lp.
  • Downvote 1

»Pharaoh Atem    15769

Taking damage is one specific way of losing LP.

Losing LP is the big catch-all way.

it's comparable to how discarding to the Graveyard is a specific way of sending a card from the hand to the Graveyard, whereas sending a card from the hand to the Grave is the big catch-all way.

it's comparable also to how sending a card from the hand to the Graveyard is a specific way of sending a card to the Graveyard, whereas..........

• Upvote 1

Abe Thalos    518

You can activate soul charge if you have less than 1000 lp, but you will lose if it resolves and you summon one or more mosters with its effect.

You cannot activate Instant Fusion if you have less than 1000 lp.

Hope that helps clear it up.