NB96

WATER - Discussion

The base otk is 8400 thats why I dont like upstart but at the same time I rly wanted to play it I even tried moray of greed, I can't fault anyone for playing upstart but I just could not play it

i play the water spell card which boost megalo by 800 so 3200+3200+1400+1800

that marcus kid    2445

The base otk is prince plus one water which is 3200x2+1800 marksman can't always hit the bin and you won't always have the 2nd dragoons in deck

Silver    1010

marcus did you try brilliant fusion

i was trying it during my regional and undine + brilliant = omega + moulinglacia 

similar, the leed combo with instant fusion and neptabyss is pretty cool too. you can potentially hit 3 cards from opponents hand first turn. just some thoughts. 

• Upvote 1

Virtuoso    95

by maindecking veiler/gogre like that double summon could actually be brilliant fusion with 1 GK and use 1 emeral to make off IF for brill continuance/undine continuance, as well as putting dragoon/moulin back in deck for a second pitch play. emeral itself shuffling both GK and controller. brill setting up IF plays with tuners in grave, applying the double summon, giving an albeit irrelevantly leveled body for synchro plays. the amount of unplayable cards would increase by 1, though more importantly by 100%, but it could give a lot of accesses over double summon, though you only run 2 double summon in first place. already resolved your 1 undine so brill dead undine + gk from deck for amethyst which is a lvl 7 body for r7/s8

i also liked the idea of main/side gameciel as problem out (dweller, cydra, dark law, raff, omega etc) as well as being a simple water for mermail summons

also deck name checked

basically 90% of decks in this game can run brilliant in some way and ive spent the last few months using the cards almost exclusively as motivation for anything i build

• Upvote 2

that marcus kid    2445

marcus did you try brilliant fusion

i was trying it during my regional and undine + brilliant = omega + moulinglacia 

similar, the leed combo with instant fusion and neptabyss is pretty cool too. you can potentially hit 3 cards from opponents hand first turn. just some thoughts. 

I did and I didn't wanna play clowns and I didn't wanna not play clowns with iut because I wanted full power and I really really didnt want to play essintially two controller

I do love the idea though I did not have enough time to keep trying it though =(

that marcus kid    2445

I got to go 1st about %50 of the time game one and %20 of the time game two if I won thats an estimate i dont know exactly I do remember me going 2nd was about even

Deladox    1
Since my deck garage thread I have been tinkering with this deck and I had not thought of including undine, however, I did focus on getting the maximum possibility of getting diva/neptabyss to field with effects. And with a sidegoal of clearing the opponent's field and attack for game (which would probably happen with neptabyss on field). I came to a conclusion that you only really need to resolve megalo's summon and on-field effect along with 1400 damage. Along with maximizing consistency of seeing neptabyss, playing maximum amounts of teus/megalo helped me with this. Gunde is also very good with these level 7s. With only having 4 normal summons i also came to a conclusion that pike is good since it can search gunde, while discarding either a lvl 7 or a Atlantean for more effects. Getting to rank 4S was also easier with pike since you can discard neptabyss and get a dragons for more searches. I'm not sure what the procentage is for getting to neptabyss(and playing it) in the undine build but for me it is something like 65-70% I believe. Can put decklist up here soon.

Simba    155
As much as I want to play a full Mermail engine, I've only been able to justify playing Megalo, Teus, and Gunde. Teus is a combo piece that interacts with other cards to search other combo pieces. He also helps a lot when you go first, being able to get the ball rolling with less cards. Gunde bringing back a 7 to summon Gaios, Draco, or even Flare Metal has been really insane. What happens a lot is I'll make a board, get stopped by Juggler, and make my opponent scoop because they can't activate anything through my Flare Metal. Dracossack isn't the best rank 7, but he has utility in forms of destruction and synchroing with the tokens. Gaios has been really good too, especially with an Equip.

The problems I'm having are fitting in more synchros into the extra. I play Leo, Trish, Meteorburst (MVP), and Tatsunoko. I could try and fit in an 8 and a 6, maybe a 5, but I really have no idea what I would cut.
I was playing 101, but I've literally never summoned it or been in the position of wanting to summon it. I'll continue to mess around with the extra and whatnot, but here it is currently:

2 Norden
1 Gaios
1 Dracossack
1 Flare Metal
1 Emeral
1 Dweller
1 Castel
1 Bahamut Shark
1 Trite
1 Armored Kappa
1 Leo
1 Trishula
1 Meteorburst
1 Tatsunoko

Last thing on my mind currently is whether or not to play a trap, traps, or not. I have been between 3 Notice and Emptiness, Just Emptiness, and currently I'm not playing any traps. Drawing traps can really suck, but making even a small board with a notice or emptiness set can be so great. Just can't decide.

NB96    806
Don't you ever draw Gunde in the opening hand and want to burn your eyes out with candles?

Funnily enough I tried this two or three days ago thinking it was the solution to making Mermails work better: cut out all the clump like Linde, only play 1 Pike in case you have something worth discarding etc but it still didn't work. If you can't make a Gaios then Teus is just awful, but my biggest problem with Mermail is still Gunde.

I think the card is just horrible. Most of your cards get triggered by being sent from the deck; the reason it was good in the past is because you were discarding stuff from the hand with Megalo/Teus/Pike/Turge but now it's mainly just sending from the deck with Neptabyss, with Megalo as the combo piece. Playing a minimal Mermail engine felt counterproductive because I could barely ever resolve Gunde as a result.

On a side note I also think the Mermail cards are extra weak to Solemn Strike. At least Neptabyss manages to pay the cost first.
  • Upvote 1

that marcus kid    2445

Oh yeah this is super obvious to some but for those who don't know you can instant back prince and pay cost and still tribute her with megalo later to trigger that effect too this comes up a bit

• Upvote 2

Deladox    1
Well, I do draw gunde, and in multiples as well but I don't find it as godawful as you claim, it may be since I max out on pike, which makes me able to do more rank 4S and have monsters to summon all the time. And also about the only send from deck part, I rarely do that, if I have a playable hand without neptabyss, which means mermail parts and a way to get goons in grave without using neptabyss, I rarely summon neptabyss, and summon pike instead for the rank 4, however this is a situation with like 4 cards or something. What I am trying to say is that megalo and damage wins you the game with the Atlanteans helping clear the way, and now neptabyss can also get you the pieces yoy need to win, which is megalo. Maximizing cards you want to discard and cards that discard only make it easier and better to summon megalo and win.

herbie ✌    1346

Oh yeah this is super obvious to some but for those who don't know you can instant back prince and pay cost and still tribute her with megalo later to trigger that effect too this comes up a bit

Yeah Ive lost a couple games because I keep bringing the Prince out in defence mode and realised my mistake mid-combo, most people don't notice when I try to tribute it though lol.

I've actually been trying a way to fit that Nimble Angler guy in but my idea of using Chicken Game to turbo through into Lemuria hasnt really been any good, the concentration of non-draw cards is too high and ending on Chicken Game sucks, in the end Lemuria doesnt make anything amazing and the LP combined with IFusion is a lot for nothing.

Phantasm    251

I found that every single Mermail card was really underwhelming except for Megalo, and even then I didn't want to draw it.

I'm currently playing the hand traps, 1 Megalo, Moulinglacia, the Atlanteans, Undines, Brilliant Fusion package, and E-Teles with Frankenderp and Re-cover.

E-Tele lets you make Nat Beast with Hat Tricker or a dead Garnet, and also lets you make Omega and Trish more often.
It helps you put 8k on board when you go second and it helps you have better turn 1s when you're forced to go first.

You can make a combination of Nat Beast/Omega/Trishula/Moulinglacia/Herald of Arc Light openers. (Obv not all at once)

I feel like these cards do a lot more for the deck than the Mermail stuff. The Mermails are really restrictive in a deckbuilding sense because they all demand you have water monsters in hand.
Minimizing that engine while maxing out on Prince and ways to get to Prince and other cards that let you play without a normal summon really lets you make some outstanding boards, sometimes ripping upwards of 3-4 cards from your opponent's hand and/or making monsters that prevent your opponent from playing all while still having the ability to put 10k+ on board through hand traps via Water combos + Meteorburst.

Not saying it's the best. Just saying try it out.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

atem16    286
What do you guys think about siding chalice ? Obviously game 1 they'll know you're playing water and they'll make a dweller which will hinder your plays going through. It being a quick play spell is the reason I like it because you can use it when you're going on the offensive or defensive. And this deck can't be taking many turns to wait for something like solemn strike or breakthrough to go through

I was going to make a long Mermail post (it ended up being kind of long anyway Earl 2.0 haha get it I am the internet comedian of the future) with all of the progress that would have been used from richmond but I'm not really as motivated to do so anymore but I will drop some notes.

-Brilliant + Dragoons is 3 cards out of their hand using Trick Clown, and also ends on Dweller.

-Double Summon I actually think is shit. Understand how narrow this is. A. never draw it w/o undine B. never draw it with Undine and diva/nep (comparatively making it superfluous even if it can be a combo piece.) Sure you can make up some okish plays where you use it post-nep but obviously comparing to other cards it could be you're not making up much ground there. 

-Regarding the Lights and Vanilla for Brilliant, if you're going to play a second of either, playing a second light is 100% correct to be played BEFORE (notice the word before I put it in caps for a reason) a 2nd vanilla because they are both necessary to resolve the card but one is a better draw.

-The only possible line refuting the last point involves the Aqua gem-knight thing and you shouldn't be playing that on the premise that it's garbage because 1. You're almost never going to overlay with it and if you would it would ruin the Equip spell and 2. No good way of triggering its effect.

-Regarding the specific lights to play for Brilliant, if you're going to play Trick Clown and use another light, the other light should be something like Ghost Ogre or Veiler or whatever. Basically the point is that 50% of the time you're seeing exactly one light it will be one that won't be shit to draw and the counterpoint to this is playing like 2 Trick Clown so that when you draw one Trick Clown you can have the other in deck for Brilliant but consider the window of that vs the window of drawing the Hand Trap, whereas the Hand Trap doesn't require you to also draw the Brilliant Fusion making it comparatively better.

-The whole "this deck can't win going first" thing is absolute nonsense unless you're specifically building for going second. Have you guys even considered that you can build this deck mostly for going first but that because of how the Water cards like the Atlanteans work so well going second or first (as waters or as beating their boards,) you're effectively creating a deck that can go first or second? Do you understand how many problems this can solve? 1. It solves, in lesser tournaments, people scoping you out then them picking second. 2. It solves people that switch what they blind going between siding knowing you're playing Water. 3. It let's you do exactly what you're avoiding in 1 to other people, being able to alternate your blind. There are other things but you guys get the point.

-Following this train of thought, you end up being able to rationalize some of those Mermail cards that people seem to think are shit now. First, Teus functionally is almost perfect for first or second. The other factor with cards like this to consider also is opening them or Brilliant with Dragoons whereas comparatively you'd have less cards to open with Dragoons and combo in other builds. Teus with the Atlanteans is obviously good at addressing boards (especially pre-Normal which, if you guys are paying attention Raflesia + Treacherous creates a peculiar problem for the normal summoning in this deck,) but it also can create more combos going first once you go down the line of introducing more Mermails to your deck.

-As a logical conclusion to Teus, we should play what are currently the only good small Mermails, Pike and Gunde. I'd argue one of each, even though I used to play 3 Gunde. Moving Gunde aside for a moment, if Pike is one of the logical conclusions of Teus, wanna know a logical conclusion of Pike? Trick Clown, and this will go against those arguing for just the Hand Traps as Lights with Brilliant Fusion, but in a way validate their argument if they aren't playing Pike. What has to be considered is how the lv 4s stack up in this deck. Instant is fine always as it is an XYZ, but then when you introduce the Pike, the conclusion of Teus, you have an odd number which creates a problem obviously because leaving shit like that and Prince (which is more unavoidable) out on the field all the time is pretty shitty and is one less potential threat you could place on them comparatively. So with Instant when you use Pike it's 3 LV 4s, without it is 1. Trick Clown comes in to solve this creating an even number. Wanna know the other great thing? You only have to play one each of these and because of the other, it makes drawing either both not as bad but also drawing their counterparts, Teus and Brilliant, even better.

-Back on Gunde, what is it bringing back? This is where the Mermail line comes full circle with Leed in a number of ways. First, going first Leed can often be the fourth discard especially with Bahamut summoning Trite in attack mode. Then that can free up the space to make a Gaios. Now, this might seem sort of weird because if I'm discarding Gunde and Leed for Megalo, how am I getting Moulinglacia? Well, you aren't using Megalo from hand at all, you're discarding it with Leed, along with Dragoons and the Gunde setup. The best thing about this is that these are all one-ofs that don't matter if you draw when they aren't good that much as they're discardable for Megalo but amazing when you can apply them. Hell, there's even a possible argument for a build that just plays no Megalos, takes out the Equip Spells, and uses multiple Leeds when it goes for that 4 drop, but that is not what I currently advocate. 

-On the 4's stacking up again, Neptabyss making an even number isn't really a substantiated argument because of the less-likelihood of being able to do that especially if we're making a deck that doesn't just lose going first and then makes it harder to use its secondary effect because it cannot be tributed for Megalo on Turn 1.

-The Leed drops also open up Moulins you wouldn't otherwise have by virtue of not necessarily only involving Diva.

-Another gripe with the only-Megalo list is the weakness of the third Dragoons, from something like Instant. Where one gets Megalo, and another gets Moulin, when you have a third, what are you getting? Another Megalo pointlessly because you're unlikely to be able to drop all that? In what I'm proposing Leed is searchable here so you have not only another venue if you don't have a Moulinglacia drop per se but also making basically the most out of your three searches because it would be opposed to the third having no application whereas the third here either makes the fourth discard or is useful to have in GY for a later Gunde.

So essentially the proposals are (more or less):

3 Teus

1 Megalo

1 Leed

1 Pike

1 Gunde

1 Trick Clown

1 Ghost Ogre

1 Gem Knight

EDIT: 3 Undine (if it was not already implied

1 Controller

/endEDIT

3 Brilliant

No double summons.

(Just from these points, there's so much more shit I can go into but I'm kinda tired.)

Edit: Also attributing Brilliant to only Double Summon in discrediting my argument is wrong because of the 5 and 4 it produces being more relevant cus of Diva and Dragoons and shit even if you aren't using the Double Summon effect of Seraphknight. 

• Upvote 10

Indignation    2856

I was going to make a long Mermail post (it ended up being kind of long anyway Earl 2.0 haha get it I am the internet comedian of the future) with all of the progress that would have been used from richmond but I'm not really as motivated to do so anymore but I will drop some notes.

-Brilliant + Dragoons is 3 cards out of their hand using Trick Clown, and also ends on Dweller.

Can you explain that? I never really used mermails back in the day or now so I might be missing something here lol. I am considering building the deck if it's reasonably priced. I'm guessing it is a play ending with leed and moulinglazia?

NB96    806
Brilliant make Seraph revive Trick, normal Dragoon make Dweller, detach search Diva, summon and get Neppo, dump Dragoon add Moulinglacia and Atlantean, make Tatsunoko into Omega with Seraph, drop Moulinglace.

Not sure if theres a way to drop Trishula and Moulinglacia but I'm really tired so I wont get it no matter what
  • Upvote 1

+mark    3101

Matthew, does this mean you changed your view on not wanting to play bricks to justify other cards, considering you:

- Play one gemknight

- Play one trick clown, which isn't necessarily brick, but as you mentioned you also wouldn't really want to draw this most of the time

- Can double draw brilliant, or brilliant+garnet

- Drawing trick clown means brilliant only gets seraph and double summon, but not the dumping a good light monster

That seems worse than the 3/2 ratio in nekroz which already played damage jugg/trick clown

• Upvote 2

atem16    286

Brilliant make Seraph revive Trick, normal Dragoon make Dweller, detach search Diva, summon and get Neppo, dump Dragoon add Moulinglacia and Atlantean, make Tatsunoko into Omega with Seraph, drop Moulinglace.

Not sure if theres a way to drop Trishula and Moulinglacia but I'm really tired so I wont get it no matter what

well when you search an atlantean by dumping the second dragoons you search netabyss
Field Seraphite (5) + tatsunoko (3) and netabyss from hand (1)

Edit: nvm that would be 6 waters instead of 5 for moulinglacia drop

that marcus kid    2445

I agree playing trick clown and brillant seems much better but I would still wanna play undine zzz

I don't agree with the mermails helping you go 1st they still don't really do anything at all