Jump to content
Tygo

United States Presidential Election

Candidates  

142 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who do you think SHOULD win?

  2. 2. Who do you think WILL win?

    • Bernie Sanders
    • Hillary Clinton
    • Donald Trump
    • Ted Cruz
    • Marco Rubio
    • Ben Carson
      0
    • John Kasich
      0


Recommended Posts

Winter    21

National Post #Debate YouGov Poll Among Undecided And 3rd Party Candidate Supporters: Trump 61 (+22) Clinton 39

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Winter    21

I'm telling you guys, both you and me were not the target of this debate, I hated it. You guys thing HRC killed it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ensane    163
4 minutes ago, Winter said:

Most nations force their firms to run a loss

Okay, I'm slightly convinced you have no idea what you're talking about. Most countries fund it through social security. Some are purely from the company. Some are social security for mothers and company for fathers. Some have both mixed. 2 countries have none.

 

Regardless, it's much more expensive to hire someone new because your employee left for a company that offers it than not to, even for non 100% government funded plans

 

Report on effect in this country:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/docs/leave_report_final.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Winter    21
Just now, ensane said:

Okay, I'm slightly convinced you have no idea what you're talking about. Most countries fund it through social security. Some are purely from the company. Some are social security for mothers and company for fathers. Some have both mixed. 2 countries have none.

 

Regardless, it's much more expensive to hire someone new because your employee left for a company that offers it than not to, even for non 100% government funded plans

 

Report on effect in this country:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/docs/leave_report_final.pdf

Maybe I'm confused. I though we're talking about paid leave for new mothers right? Firms would pay a portion of that. 

 

The problem is you're paying them to do "nothing"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Winter    21

The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) of 1993 guarantees up to twelve weeks of unpaid leave with employer benefits for qualified medical and family reasons.

 

This part is the left shift 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ensane    163
Just now, Winter said:

Maybe I'm confused. I though we're talking about paid leave for new mothers right? Firms would pay a portion of that. 

 

The problem is you're paying them to do "nothing"

Yes that is what I was talking about. Again, in most countries it is 100% government funded. And you're ignoring the costs that the company can incur if they don't do it. Which is why we have companies that do it in the US now, even though it isn't mandated and it *does* currently come out of the company's pocket 100%.

 

I forgot how long that report is, so here's a relevant section for businesses.

 



A key argument posed by skeptics of paid family leave or flexible workplace policies is that

such practices are costly and place an unfair burden on employers. However, the birth of a

child or a serious illness is not a frequent event, and evidence from the states that have paid

leave policies in place, as well as other developed countries, shows that these policies do not cause undue interruptions in the workplace. In fact, a body of research finds that these

practices can benefit employers by improving their ability to recruit and retain talent, lower

ing costly worker turnover and minimizing loss of firm-specific skills and human capital, as well as boosting morale and worker productivity.

 

Paid leave policies can help business recruit

talented workers who plan to stay with a firm after having children. In a survey of two hundred human resource managers, two-thirds cited family-supportive policies, including flexible schedules, as the single most important factor in attracting and retaining employees. Paid leave has been shown to increase the probability that women continue in their job after having a child, rather than quitting permanently, saving employers the expense of recruiting and training additional employees. A review of 27 separate case studies found that the median cost of replacing an employee was 21 percent of that employee’s annual salary –a substantial cost that can be reduced with family-friendly leave policies.

 

Following implementation of state programs, most businesses reported no negative effect on profitability. A survey of 253 employers affected by California’s paid family leave initiative found that the vast majority–over ninety percent–reported no noticeable or a positive effect on profitability, turnover, and morale.

 

Edited for formatting.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Winter    21

Hmm that's fascinating actually, I'd need to look more into it, but I would def support more time if it payed off. 3 months just seems like a lot mate. But I've never given birth....

 

Either-way, thank you for that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ensane    163
4 minutes ago, Winter said:

Hmm that's fascinating actually, I'd need to look more into it, but I would def support more time if it payed off. 3 months just seems like a lot mate. But I've never given birth....

 

Either-way, thank you for that

Now I will say that with a government option, there is still the question of where the funding comes from. Cutting spending elsewhere? Raising taxes, and if so, for who and how much? I feel like that's the issue we would (should?) disagree on. But not having it at all (not you, but what I generally hear) isn't a very valid argument when you look at effects in other countries and the few places it's mandated here or even done voluntarily.

 

I just want to make sure there's awareness on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ensane    163

I could have sworn the debate was next sunday...guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Winter    21
32 minutes ago, Azzaw said:

Such polls have the advantage of capturing reactions quickly, before the opinions of pundits and journalists can begin to form a consensus as to what happened in the debate – a consensus that can

 

Trust in media is at 6%

 

And even then WaPo, fucking Wapo says Trump won

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Azzaw    64
1 minute ago, Winter said:

Such polls have the advantage of capturing reactions quickly, before the opinions of pundits and journalists can begin to form a consensus as to what happened in the debate – a consensus that can

 

Trust in media is at 6%

 

And even then WaPo, fucking Wapo says Trump won

Please read the entire thing before coming to conclusions. You missed the entire point once again. I'm not making a case on who won/lost the debates, I'm just letting you know why majority of these polls are usually pointless, useless, and have no scientific basis. This isnt even about trusting the media - and even still, isn't it ironic that you get most of your information from the media? Yet you say its untrustworthy? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IRLAlex    116
3 hours ago, Azzaw said:

Please read the entire thing before coming to conclusions. You missed the entire point once again. I'm not making a case on who won/lost the debates, I'm just letting you know why majority of these polls are usually pointless, useless, and have no scientific basis. This isnt even about trusting the media - and even still, isn't it ironic that you get most of your information from the media? Yet you say its untrustworthy? 

 

Yeah but he doesn't get it from the "Liberal Mainstream Media" so there is 100% no bias/s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34998

EEmployment insurance funds mat leave here and it's for like 66% pay for six months iirc - some companies offer to cover the last 33% but that's an employment perk like a bonus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Jazz    5538

The only thing that mattered in that debate was Trump doubling down on his ridiculous promise to "keep you in suspense" about whether he would accept the results of the election. That clip will get a lot of coverage and deservedly so.

 

By now, it should be abundantly clear to all voters that Trump is a complete narcissist, someone who would put himself ahead of his country. He is the furthest thing imaginable from an American patriot, and exactly the type of person the Founder's feared. How anyone with a sense of civic duty could vote for him is beyond me.

  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34998

Trump: I'm going to be ambiguous about whether I'll actually respect the will of the electorate

Winter: Hillary supporters are literally traitors who should hang by the neck until they are dead

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Telvin123    387

 

21 minutes ago, Jazz said:

The only thing that mattered in that debate was Trump doubling down on his ridiculous promise to "keep you in suspense" about whether he would accept the results of the election. That clip will get a lot of coverage and deservedly so.

 

By now, it should be abundantly clear to all voters that Trump is a complete narcissist, someone who would put himself ahead of his country. He is the furthest thing imaginable from an American patriot, and exactly the type of person the Founder's feared. How anyone with a sense of civic duty could vote for him is beyond me.

 

Seriously can't wait for this election to be over already.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Winter    21
1 hour ago, rei said:

Trump: I'm going to be ambiguous about whether I'll actually respect the will of the electorate

Winter: Hillary supporters are literally traitors who should hang by the neck until they are dead

Literally not what I said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThatOneGuy    2005
1 hour ago, Telvin123 said:

Seriously can't wait for this election to be over already.

 

This election? At this point, regardless of who wins, I can't wait for the next four years to be over.  Not just because of the candidates, but also because of the backlash among the general public likely to come from this election.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Winter    21

CvOFu68XEAEGwGR.jpg

 

LIAR

 

She knew about the Riots Okeffe revealed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34998

mjpopcorn.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Medb    773

Err, what part of that is pointing to her knowing about it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Winter    21
35 minutes ago, Medb said:

Err, what part of that is pointing to her knowing about it?

Rigging the Election Part I 10:59-11:04 Zulema Rodriguez says "I just had a call with the campaign and the DNC. Everyday at one o'clock." https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5IuJGHuIkzY

"...Everyday at o'clock."

Wikileaks email id 12012 RE: Reminder -- Trump Rapid Response/Bracketing Call -- Today - Tues - May17 - 1PM Eastern (Thread was started by Bob Creamer and look at the others copied on it)https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/12012

             '1PM Eastern'

That part mostly, and association with Creamer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×