SSJ Grumpig

Dark Souls 3

NB96    850
Yeah I picked Knight and beat the first boss on my second try. I also beat the NPC with the sword who's kinda tough after a few goes to get his Katana. This game is pretty fun so far. The only thing justifying my purchase of the shitbox one a couple years ago is that they have backwards compatible games, I didn't realise I would get Dark Souls 1 since I thought that was a pre order bonus. I also got Fallout 3 with Fallout 4 which was neat, two games for the price of one.

Dank Memeston    1716
Gj mang! It too me like and hour or 2 to beat the sword guy.

Warthog    165

Only couple of hours in and feel a lot of fan favorites have showed up.

Little easy but I am on my toes constantly.

SSJ Grumpig    5620

Some helpful stuff from good ol Vaati

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4VenyalTMA

if anyone wants to get into the world/lore of dark souls i heavily recommend this guy's videos. he is very observant and detailed, and his voice is absolute earhoney

NB96    850
I started upgrading mainly Vitality, Endurance and Strength for my Knight. Is this the correct way to go or am I undervaluing stuff like Dexterity, Luck etc?

+Urthor    10225

na you're doing it right

I spec'd for the uchikatana and I sorta regret it tbh.  A very vanilla setup of basic knight gear+broadsword, then walking up to enemies holding down l1, waiting for the attack then double r2ing has been working so well I don't think I can change it really.  I wish the 5 points i put into dex were in vitality/endurance strength

Fire stone apparently stops your weapon scaling however, that's probably not a good thing.  But the Fire Stone is by far the best starter, fire element on either the starting straight sword or the broadsword will cut through the first two areas and first two bosses like a knife through butter.  

SSJ Grumpig    5620

for general purposes you want a weapon that has all one type of damage, otherwise the game's defense calculations gimp you

idk how it is for everyone else but i seem to get a lot of raw gems, so any basic weapons im using (longsword p much) i infuse to raw form. stat scaling doesnt make up for the dps increase for quite a long time, so its great early game esp with a few titanite upgrades

i have been slow and just beat vordt, how's everyone's progress coming

Dank Memeston    1716

I sort of agree with the raw/fire concept. I have 40 str 20 dex atm and it barely budges out 30 more damage. Granted, this is on my +2 ice sword while my +6 great sword give +130 for scaling but still... favoritized scaling isn't doing much atm but it looks like refined will be where I sit for most of my weapons. I think heavy/sharp is for the all in on str or dex builds while refined is for a middle build.

I am currently at the ice city and gotten the first 4ish bonfires and beaten invader Alva. Also beat the demon king but I think I will stick to the ice city for now.

+Urthor    10225

for general purposes you want a weapon that has all one type of damage, otherwise the game's defense calculations gimp you

idk how it is for everyone else but i seem to get a lot of raw gems, so any basic weapons im using (longsword p much) i infuse to raw form. stat scaling doesnt make up for the dps increase for quite a long time, so its great early game esp with a few titanite upgrades

i have been slow and just beat vordt, how's everyone's progress coming

yeah you're right, at 24 strength a B rated heavy broadsword out damages a fire broadsword at the same level without a doubt.  I'd shift from fixed to scaled once you go past 20ish strength/dex

At the Church altar atm.  Finding large Titan shards is such a bitch though

Dank Memeston    1716

It will be like titanite atm for you, you will find them all the time at the ice city. I could same the same for chunks atm but I assume they will come when they will.

What weapons are you guys using? I have the Ice sword +3 and a Greatsword +6. Just found Alva's armor so am done in that department forever. ;)

NB96    850
I've still not reached the second boss yet, I spent all of yesterday just earning souls and progressing slowly to collect all the items. That key you get for 20000 souls at Firelink Shrine is great, an item that increases the amount of souls you earn per kill and acces to the invisible crow who switches items you offer it around. I offered it one of my excess firebombs and got a some kind of shard, I think it was Titanite but I just woke up so I can't remember what I got. There's a bunch of other great items too. I also made the dragon fly away to open up the area for me, you just fire about 60 arrows at it doing 30 damage roughly each (45 on the wing) and it opens up some useful items.

Does anyone have any tips for fighting the knights? I've tried circling around them for the backstab but the knights turn around too so it's difficult. An encounter with one usually cost me one or two Estus Flask and I'd rather hold onto them since I wont know when the next boss will jump out.

I'm pretty sure I'm real close to the next boss since I haven't faced one for a while.

+Urthor    10225

You don't need to buy the key at all, you can just jump onto the roof to get the Estus Shard and ring, look it up on Youtube

Knights are very simple, you always roll into them and try to get behind them.  True for literally all of the knights, try to roll behind them and then backstab them if you can, backstabbing them is a lot harder than you'd think but swings into their open back are good enuff.  Roll into the weapon hand without a shield

NB96    850

You don't need to buy the key at all, you can just jump onto the roof to get the Estus Shard and ring, look it up on Youtube

Omfg

+Urthor    10225

Could be worse.  I have a mate who killed the NPC that gives you 5 free level ups in Undead Settlement.  "Release me from death" he says, promptly gets an uchikatana to the face

+Urthor    10225

Just killed the [spoiler]Giants[/spoiler] in the [spoiler]Cathedral[/spoiler]

Timbeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 

and sweet revenge goes without saying

SSJ Grumpig    5620

i love the scenery in the game, it's so pretty

undead settlement's enemies reminded me of bloodborne at first but it's nice to see some new ones

Dank Memeston    1716
Well, you cant get the firekeeper soul and estus ring by exploiting the glitch so i think the 20k is worth it down the road but not vefore the 2nd boss. I just did it when i coincidentally had 20k souls on me.
  • Upvote 1

+Urthor    10225

exactly.  I did it when I needed 13k for level ups and not before really

NB96    850
Is it possible to kill the sniper in Undead Settlement before I fight the third boss? There's an area I want to explore but it's flooded with enemies and the sniper's shots make it too difficult to fight my way through.

+Urthor    10225

Yeah you can.  Basically if you charge through the area with all the bolts and into the tower on the other side you can meet up with the sniper

Dank Memeston    1716

No, the sniper is in the other tower, near the silver armored npc. You go all the way up to the top and either kill him or he gives you a white branch to disguise yourself, although it goes away immediately after you try to pick up an item in that form. There are some ashes and a bone shard in that area so it could be better to just kill him but thats up to you.

+Urthor    10225

um wtf you killed the giant

The Giant provides fire support for like the rest of the fucking game if you be friends wtih him.  Literally there's multiple areas where the giant snipes dudes for you.  If you make peace he stops shooting you keeps killing the bad guys

Dank Memeston    1716

I have only seen him firing in one other area and could swear he still tried to hit me after I talked to him, hence why I gave that advice. Tbh I don't remember. (not sure why he would give you the branch if so)

I didn't kill him fyi.

NB96    850
Yeah I spoke to him and now he helps me. This third boss is pissing me off; I ragequit after losing 10,000 souls...