Edgar

Looking to Make a Personal Website

Edgar    6

I'm gearing up to enter academia and was looking to make a simple personal website where I can put a CV and post links to various journal publications.

Most people I know in similar circumstances have basic sites through blogspot or something similar. I am looking to instead create something basic from scratch with my own domain name.

Much of my current research involves mathematical logic, but the only remotely relevant applied programs I have used are MATLAB and Mathematica.

Given my ignorance, I have a few questions:

1. Where and how can I register a domain name?

2. What should I expect from related hosting fees (if any)?

3. What languages ought I learn for this purpose?

My goal is to make a trivially basic site that I can gradually expand over time as my research progresses.

SSJ Grumpig    5713

godaddy for domain, you can probably use free/pay for what you use amazon hosting for what you are looking for (if not godaddy offers ok hosting for like 5 bucks a month), and use wordpress to make everything stupidly simple. if you are hellbent on languages just learn some basic HTML and CSS from free sites like khan academy and you can make a decent looking website with minimal effort

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

+rei+    35453
GoDaddy are shit and wordpress is awful on resources
  • Upvote 1

Kahu    2422

I guess that explains why the Org site goes over capacity every month.

• Upvote 2

+rei+    35453

explain why godaddy is shit lol

they donate extensively to net-restricting legislation (SOPA style stuff), they're a predatory domain squatter, they dont offer meaningful value over other registrars, they do some dodgy cross selling stuff by implying threats at the client, their custoemr service is shit, you void a lot of your privacy rights after year one, they try and block / limit transferring your domain to other registrars (sometimes never even legally moving the domain to you), and their renewal proces is deliberatly challenging and ambiguous so they can attempt to reclaim successful domains and change the rate on them

+rei+    35453

I guess that explains why the Org site goes over capacity every month.

Yes, it's a fuckin joke, you could literally use our forum software and use 1/3 the resources and thats embarassing

+Paraliel+    8123

explain why godaddy is shit lol

they donate extensively to net-restricting legislation (SOPA style stuff), they're a predatory domain squatter, they dont offer meaningful value over other registrars, they do some dodgy cross selling stuff by implying threats at the client, their custoemr service is shit, you void a lot of your privacy rights after year one, they try and block / limit transferring your domain to other registrars (sometimes never even legally moving the domain to you), and their renewal proces is deliberatly challenging and ambiguous so they can attempt to reclaim successful domains and change the rate on them

I will say I personally have never had any customer service issues with them and have no experience with the block/limit transferring domains, but the rest is valid.