NB96

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

NB96    832
Trailer came out on Youtube a couple hours ago I think. It's the prequel to Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. The film is slated for release in December 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wji-BZ0oCwg

There seems to be a lot of British actors/actresses in these new Star Wars films from what I can tell.

Pretty sure I heard Vader's respirator at the end...

+rei+    34506
yeah it hadn't occured to me how easy it would be to have vader in here, it's not like JEJ is busy

So pumped

Wolfywolf.    17

Definitely feeling the new shadow trooper helmets for this film. I'm near sure that they will have a new name for the group of troopers or that they will be a very small unit but still they definitely are rad looking. It'll also be interesting to see where the young Han cameo comes into play with this movie, seeing as the casting isn't even finished yet.

Also Vader was confirmed to be in this iirc, they also said this would showcase a darker side of war in the Star Wars universe. Should be pretty good regardless of the tone though.

Mascis    4494

ok i have not seen the movie

the premise is that they need to steal the death star plans right?

so where is the drama there? episdoe 4 happened, they steal the fucking plans

i don't get the appeal

• Upvote 1

HououinKyouma    802
1 hour ago, Gojira said:

So how likely is it that the reshoots fucked stuff up?

Honestly probably a lot. The plot of the movie definitely feels like a frankenstein monster, with various parts cut away or sewn in with the tone swinging from quipy marvel flick to dark antiwar film. The battle parts of the film are the far and away best parts of the film, which is what I expected since the best parts of Godzilla 2012 were the action scenes, but everything else is a mess.

1 hour ago, Mascis said:

ok i have not seen the movie

the premise is that they need to steal the death star plans right?

so where is the drama there? episdoe 4 happened, they steal the fucking plans

i don't get the appeal

Yea, but they could have utilized the here are some character and character arcs that make you care if these dudes live or die. Too bad none of the characters are developed and by the end of the movie you don't care if anyone lives or dies. Its basically a here are some images from OT wow isn't it cool muh childhood, muh nostalgia, etc. From what I saw from people walking out of the screenings before us, the OT nostalgia wank fanboys ate this shit up, but people walked away from the Phantom Menace with as much hype so who knows. It definitely had far less people than the Force Awakens so we'll see how Disney does money wise, I assume they still make a billion dollars though.

it was good overall. it had a LOT going on. Definitely laced character development like i couldnt really tell why any of the characters were doing what they were doing. The final 45 minutes were very good and it ended on an excellent note

Ostaph    73

I have very mixed feelings about it.

What I like is that it's a real anti-war film. It left me depressed with the way people are and the world is. It feels bad to know that people are dying in wars all over the world. The way Orson Krennic says "its beautiful" when the laser is fired is really fucked up. It strikes you what a cold blooded mess the empire's elite is. This is the Star Wars material that makes the empire look actually disgusting. Almost no fascination left. Even the total megalomania of the empire just feels terrible, like when you see that they build a shield around an entire planet. And of course the death star itself. There the film does a great job imho.

I also think that although you know that somehow the plans will reach Leia, it's thrilling to watch the struggle and see how they do it.

The acting is also solid for the most part and great in some others. Felicity Jones is good, Ben Mendelsohn is very good, while Donnie Yen... well I did not like him.

I also totally loved that a general Syndulla gets called out at the rebel base at one point.

What I did not like was that the story itself is kinda thin. And the characters are shallow. There is no big world, no whole universe no details. Of course it's just one movie not a complete series but without it being part of the known Star Wars Universe, it would have left even more questions unanswered. You learn only so few things about the planet, the rebellion and the Rogue One squad. I hate when people are not properly introduced and their stories are not told or only told by totally interchangeable clichés. Well and Star Wars without proper Jedis is just not Star Wars for me. They are my main reason to love the whole thing and enjoy the magic.

Overall, pretty good anti-war film, but not my kinda Star Wars.

+rei+    34506

I think the questions left alluded to rather than answered ARE world building - everyone had shit that affected them before they came here, and then you see exactly how brutal the empire can be and how internal pettiness can cause literal genocide. 

N e J i    902

That was dark as hell but it requires an effort on the viewer's part to truly comprehend just how dark it was and that's why the movie is not what it could have been. The exception is that truly amazing second to last scene which is about the only actual visceral moment of the movie, and it is telling that none of the main characters are involved and that it relies on the presence of one of the most well established characters in the franchise.

Edited by N e J i

SSJ Grumpig    5618

this was my favorite star wars movie since the original trilogy

dont get me wrong it had glaring flaws but the parts they got right were SO FUCKING GOOD

• Upvote 2

+Gemstone Mine    2590

^in all fairness, that essentially boils down to did you enjoy it more than TFA

Which I did personally. My only real flaws I found were just how forgettable most of the characters were and the planet hopping. With the exception of the blind monk dude (can't even think of his name but he was one of the best parts of the movie) they were just all kinda bland and uninteresting. How often they switch to different planets most of which didn't even serve a purpose was actually kind of aggravating.  Like, the fuck was that city between asteriods that literally was in the movie less than 4 min and otherwise has 0 purpose.

Other than that, I thought it was an enjoyable movie. Certainly wasn't a great movie, but was highly enjoyable. The transition between the marvel/disney style (serious with one liners to break up tension) and total darkness at the end was done well and made the movie a lot better than if they had gone one way or another

Also, it was something that I only realized during the movie, but we've literally never seen Vader actually fight anyone but Luke/Ben, but I never knew how much I wanted to see Vader go ham on some poor rebel soldiers until he did and it was amazing. I also enjoyed how on point most of the older characters were (tarkin, vader, etc). Vader especially was great in the few scenes he was in (except for that cheesy pun)

Berdversary    181
20 minutes ago, Gemstone Mine said:

^in all fairness, that essentially boils down to did you enjoy it more than TFA

Which I did personally. My only real flaws I found were just how forgettable most of the characters were and the planet hopping. With the exception of the blind monk dude (can't even think of his name but he was one of the best parts of the movie) they were just all kinda bland and uninteresting. How often they switch to different planets most of which didn't even serve a purpose was actually kind of aggravating.  Like, the fuck was that city between asteriods that literally was in the movie less than 4 min and otherwise has 0 purpose.

Other than that, I thought it was an enjoyable movie. Certainly wasn't a great movie, but was highly enjoyable. The transition between the marvel/disney style (serious with one liners to break up tension) and total darkness at the end was done well and made the movie a lot better than if they had gone one way or another

Hide contents

Also, it was something that I only realized during the movie, but we've literally never seen Vader actually fight anyone but Luke/Ben, but I never knew how much I wanted to see Vader go ham on some poor rebel soldiers until he did and it was amazing. I also enjoyed how on point most of the older characters were (tarkin, vader, etc). Vader especially was great in the few scenes he was in (except for that cheesy pun)

Yeah that pun took me out of the movie for a sec, like somebody's fanfic come to life. 

Not a huge star wars fan since I grew up with Episode III but I had a good time.

HououinKyouma    802
On 12/21/2016 at 3:57 AM, N e J i said:

That was dark as hell but it requires an effort on the viewer's part to truly comprehend just how dark it was and that's why the movie is not what it could have been. The exception is that truly amazing second to last scene which is about the only actual visceral moment of the movie, and it is telling that none of the main characters are involved and that it relies on the presence of one of the most well established characters in the franchise.

I felt that a lot of the "dark" tone was unearned. It felt like Disney really messed with Edward's vision for this being a war film. The Empire stayed evil, when it seemed like Krennic was supposed to be this not completely evil dude consumed by his ambition, especially with the Krennic/Gaelin/Jyn flashback. There also seemed like the Rebels were supposed to be painted in a darker light, but even though Caspian kills an informant at the beginning of the film he's too bland to actually have any redemption. Saw also seemed like he was supposed to be a Vader parallel but he did nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if there was 30+ minutes of scenes w/ Saw Gerrera just cut from the film.

• Upvote 1

Jesus the Jew    986
On 12/21/2016 at 8:55 PM, Gemstone Mine said:

With the exception of the blind monk dude (can't even think of his name but he was one of the best parts of the movie) 

Donnie Yen. Watch the fantastic Ip Man movies if you like him.