Sign in to follow this  
Logic

OCG Goat Format

+Logic    2035

So I took some time yesterday to try to compile the list of cards OCG had during mid-2005 that we didn't. You can find that list below.

[spoiler]

*Elemental Energy came out August 2005 https://www.yugiohcardguide.com/spoilers/elemental-energy.html

Monster

Berfomet

Total Defense Shogun

Cockroach Knight

Dragon Seeker
VIser Des*
Legendary Fiend

Gernia
Queen’s Knight

King’s Knight
Jack’s Knight

Hanibal Necromancer

Victory Dragon
Goblin Zombie*
Maximum Six
The Tricky
Anicent Lamp
Red Gadget*
Green Gadget*
Yellow Gadget*

Marshmallon*
Gemini Imps*
Return Zombie
Blood Sucker
van'dalgyon the dark dragon lord*
Skelangel (after CRV)*
Summoner Monk (after CRV)*
Tualatin*
Silent Swordsman Lv5, LV7 (after CRV)
Doomcaliber Knight (released after CRV, after EER before banned List)*
Gandora the Dragon of Destruction (released after CRV, after EER before banned List)
White Horned Dragon
Mutant Mindmaster*
Divine Knight Ishzark*
Blast Sphere*

Spell

Temple of the Kings

Multiply
Fiend’s Sanctuary*
Soul Taker*

Silent Doom*
Dangerous Machine Type 6
Shield Crush*
Sebek’s Blessing*
Tricky Spell 4

Makiyu the Magical Mist
Overpowering Eye
Magical Stone Excavation*
Nightmare’s Steel Cage*
Mystic Box*

Magical Dimension*
Magical Blast*
Foolish Burial

Trap
Time Machine*
Metal Reflect Slime*

Magical Arm Shield
Cloning*
Sixth Sense*
Hidden Solider
Soul Rope*
Legacy of Yata Garatsu*
Malevolent Catastrophy*
Stronghold the Moving Fortress*
Call of the Earthbound
Mystical Refpanel*
Relieve Monster

Crush Card Virus

Fusion
Chimera the Flying Mythical Beast

Ehero steam healer

Five headed dragon*
Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon*
Arcana Knight Jester
Aligator’s Sword Dragon*

[/spoiler]
Would anyone have any interest in exploring this to some caliber? Not sure where the right place would be to start with this, where pre CRV/Post CRV/Post EEN are all options, not to mention the option to do honor bans.

• Upvote 4

+ACP+    33886

The Sixth Sense should be an honor ban. Worst card design of all time.

Also, the TCG already had the Silent Swordsmen. Worth mentioning that Marshmallon was limited to 1, for those who don't know. There were also various banlist differences like Magician of Faith being at 1 in the OCG.

I would argue that gadgets were close to tier 0 in this format. So much silliness, especially considering that you could run 9 gadgets 3 ultimate offering 3 limiter removal if you really wanted to. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. The resilience of the gadget deck was just completely unparalleled at this time.

+ACP+    33886

That's weird, because on their historic chart, they have faith at 1: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Historic_Forbidden/Limited_Chart

I recall some other sources mentioning some minor differences in our list, but of course it's quite difficult to find now. Maybe Atem can point us in the right direction.

I was trying to find some decklists from this time, but didn't have too much luck. 

I didn't find these one set of top decklists from a Miso-G (the biggest OCG tournaments at the time). http://shriek.twoday.net/stories/1729765/

It's weird, because it's clearly from the March 2005 format (has they're all running Graceful Charity, which was banned in september 2005), and yet none of them are running Delinquent Duo, Ring of Destruction, or more than one Magician of Faith. Like maybe officially their list was the same as ours or something and they played with certain "honor bans." It's also worth noting that they have Foolish Burial, which was not mentioned on your list.

I feel like one of primary issues with trying to play this format is figuring out what cards were actually printed and legal at the time. Going back 11 years to a different country isn't easy.

+ACP+    33886

It's gets even more confusing when you look at this list:

http://shriek.twoday.net/stories/2093730/

Here we've got a guy running Graceful Charity and Confiscation in the same deck... And those two were never legal at the same time post-2005. Another dude is running Delinquent Duo. We see the appearance of multiple Magician of Faiths. Still no Ring of Destructions. Like I literally can't even figure out what ban list they could possibly be playing with from these decklists.

+ACP+    33886

Oh, and also the OCG definitely had Crush Card Virus, which was limited to 1 at this time.

+Logic    2035

Crazy stuff.

Yeah, I had to go through each wikipedia page every-time a game/ set/promo pack came out; I'm confident there are cards I'm missing, FOolish is the first one that I didn't know about outside of vanillas and Rituals.

I'm not sure who to ask that would be well-informed on the subject, either.

+Logic    2035

If anyone knows a better way to get a full list than going through some 70 links on a laggy laptop, please let me know. 

+ACP+    33886

Another source says that Dandylion didn't come out until December 2005. This is all so complicated, too much conflicting information.

+ACP+    33886

Exchange of the Spirit was also legal and at 1 though.

(And with Temple of the Kings at 3)

Jazz    4709

Cool idea.

This website was incredibly useful to me for compiling the goat format TCG pool on format library:

https://www.yugiohcardguide.com/

I would try to find something similar for the OCG boosters, structure decks, and promos released there. You might have to google translate a Japanese page, which should be doable. Finding it seems like the hard part. But I'm sure it exists somewhere.

YGO Wikia sucks ass. They don't moderate it carefully at all. For years the TCG goat list had Magician of Faith @ 2.

There are also other ban lists on YGO Wikia pre 2004 where stuff like Graceful Charity oscillates between 1 and 2 month-to-month, but I'm pretty sure that never actually happened.

Jazz    4709

PS If you can get the entire card pool in a google spreadsheet, I can write some sort of script to pull out unique OCG cards by comparing it against the TCG pool.

Here we've got a guy running Graceful Charity and Confiscation in the same deck... And those two were never legal at the same time post-2005. Another dude is running Delinquent Duo. We see the appearance of multiple Magician of Faiths. Still no Ring of Destructions. Like I literally can't even figure out what ban list they could possibly be playing with from these decklists.

Hey Allen, just thought I would let you know that's not actually correct, Confiscation and Graceful were legal at the same time post-05 I distinctively remember Jeff Jones playing both in his Triple Stratos advantage deck. So I checked and they were in fact both legal in September 2006.

Jazz    4709

Hey Allen, just thought I would let you know that's not actually correct, Confiscation and Graceful were legal at the same time post-05 I distinctively remember Jeff Jones playing both in his Triple Stratos advantage deck. So I checked and they were in fact both legal in September 2006.

It's Sep 06 - Feb 07

Yeah I think that was the format when Stein was E-banned halfway through. It was a strange format. No sorcerer, no heros. So (apprentice?) monarchs were like the default deck I guess. After the Stein E-ban, Stratos was released as a promo and was initially at 3 for like a single random SJC.

But generally yes, Confi and Graceful alternated spots on the list. I think that's the one exception.

petqwe    287
FYI if your OCG goats refer to the period of mar-aug 2005, you may want to notice that doomcaliber knight was out in august 05...

Edit: was blind, dont know why i didnt see that card already in thr list

This is something I find from some really old websites. If not mistaken this is sort of the "nationals" for Japan in 2005

Top 4: CyDra Goats
[spoiler] 
Monster: 16
1 BLS
3 CyDra
1 Chiron
1 Exarion
1 Breaker
1 TIV
1 DDWL
2 Tsuk
1 Sangan
1 Exiled
2 Mof
1 Serpent

Spells: 19
3 Trio
1 Snatch
1 Heavy
1 MST
1 Premat
2 Noc
3 Meta
3 Goat
3 Bom
1 Sorl

Traps: 5
1 Ring
1 Coth
1 Mirror
2 Decree

Side: 15
1 Mobius
2 Chiron
1 Exarion
1 Asura
1 MS2
2 DD Designator
1 Time Capsule
1 Torrential
2 Sak
1 Bottomless
1 Dust
1 Decree
[/spoiler]

Top 4: Goats with a twist of OTK
[spoiler]
Monster: 14
1 BLS
1 Breaker
1 TIV
2 Tsuk
1 Sangan
1 Jar
2 Summoner of Illusions (notice the difference in rulings)
2 Mof
2 Night Assailant
1 Serpent

Spells: 18
3 Trio
1 Snatch
1 Heavy
1 MST
1 Premat
3 Meta
3 Goat
3 Bom
2 Noc

Traps: 9
1 Ring
1 Coth
1 Mirror
1 Torrential
1 CCV
2 Sak
2 Desert Sunlight

2 Mobius
2 Roulette Barrel
2 Stealth Bird
1 Cyber Jar
1 Poison of the old man
2 Emergency Provision
2 Trunade
3 Dust
[/spoiler]

Top 4: Gadgets smokescreening into Cyber Stein OTK
[spoiler]
Monsters: 14
1 CyDra
1 Breaker
2 Chiron
9 Gadget
1 MS2

Spells: 19
3 Trio
1 Snatch
1 Heavy
1 MST
3 Smashing Ground
2 Noc
2 Shield Crush
2 Rush Recklessly
1 Shrink
3 Bom

Traps: 10
1 Ring
1 Mirror
1 Torrential
3 Sak
1 Widespread Ruin
3 Solemn

1 Mobius
1 CyDra
1 Chiron
1 Cyber Jar
1 Sangan
2 Cyber Stein
1 Premat
3 Trunade
3 Limiter
1 CCV
[/spoiler]

Top 4: Goats
[spoiler]
Monsters: 18
1 BLS
1 Jinzo
1 Airknight
1 Exarion
1 Breaker
1 TIV
1 Blade Knight
1 DDWL
2 Tsuk
1 Sangan
1 Dark Mimic 1
1 Spirit Reaper
2 Mof
2 Night Assassin
1 Serpent

Spells: 16
3 Trio
1 Snatch
1 Heavy
1 MST
1 Premat
2 Noc
1 Lightning Vortex
3 Meta
3 Goat

Traps: 6
1 Ring
1 Mirror
1 Torrential
1 Coth
1 CCV
1 Threatening Roar

1 Dmoc
1 Cyber Stein
1 Cyber Jar
1 Morphing Jar
1 Card Destruction
1 United we stand
1 Sorl
1 Magical Stone Excavation
1 Monster Reincarnation
2 Trunade
1 Threatening Roar
3 Dust
[/spoiler]

Top 8: Some OTK thing, smokescreen into standard goats
[spoiler]
Monster: 12
1 BLS
1 Dmoc
1 Jinzo
3 CyDra
1 Breaker
2 Cannon Soldier
2 Cyber Stein
1 Lily

Spell: 26
3 Trio
1 Snatch
1 Heavy
1 MST
1 Card Destruction
3 Trunade
3 Reasoning
3 Last Will
3 Limiter
3 Monster Gate
1 Megamorph
1 United we stand
2 Goat

Traps: 2
1 Ring
1 Dust

1 TIV
1 DDWL
1 Tsuk
1 Sangan
1 Exiled Force
2 Mof
1 Serpent
3 Meta
1 Goat
1 Coth
1 Mirror
1 Torrential
[/spoiler]

the4got10-1    17
I'm probably being stupid here, but if all you guys wanted was to check the card pool / card legality and the ban list, why not just get a GBA emulator, the WCT 2004 / 2005 games and an "all cards" cheat and look at the in-game ban list?
  • Upvote 1

Jazz    4709
10 hours ago, the4got10-1 said:

Not sure whether you guys have taken this to PMs or something.

Anyway, I guess this is the closest you can get to past format "official" lists: http://www.yugioh-card.com/sg/event/rules_guides/forbidden_cardlist.php?lang=en

Note that there's actually no 2004/03 list on that site.

If you look at 2005/03 (http://www.yugioh-card.com/sg/event/rules_guides/forbidden_cardlist.php?list=200503&lang=en) there are a few cards that are not translated. Does somebody know what they are?

@Logic do you think your OP has 99% of the playable promos, or are you missing some?

And did anybody try the GBA thing?

Danissgar    69
1 hour ago, Jazz said:

If you look at 2005/03 (http://www.yugioh-card.com/sg/event/rules_guides/forbidden_cardlist.php?list=200503&lang=en) there are a few cards that are not translated. Does somebody know what they are?

@Logic do you think your OP has 99% of the playable promos, or are you missing some?

And did anybody try the GBA thing?

1st blank 第六感    Sixth Sense

2nd blank マシュマロン  Marshmallon

3rd blank 現世と冥界の逆転  Return from the different dimension (?)

4th blank 死のデッキ破壊ウイルス Deck devi(?)

+Logic    2035

@Jazz, I'm confident there are normal monsters, ocg vanilla fusions, and ritual monsters I'm missing.

I'm 90% sure every semi-playable card is listed, but the more I look at the format, the more I just think "oh, 9 gadgets, 3 limiter, 3 Ultimate Offering, sounds fun bro"

Jazz    4709
36 minutes ago, Logic said:

@Jazz, I'm confident there are normal monsters, ocg vanilla fusions, and ritual monsters I'm missing.

I'm 90% sure every semi-playable card is listed, but the more I look at the format, the more I just think "oh, 9 gadgets, 3 limiter, 3 Ultimate Offering, sounds fun bro"

Sure that's a gimmicky deck, but I doubt it's consistent.

After all this is clearly a fun format and not super serious. I would give it a try.