ACP

Judges file class-action lawsuit against WotC

»ACP    33395

»ACP    33395
Karma.

You realize that WotC and Hasbro have bullied around other companies for decades with trivial lawsuits. The entire reason that "Magic" got changed to "Spell" in Yugioh is because WotC claimed that their trademark was being violated. They also sued HEX TCG, claiming that their game was just a clone of Magic (it's not). They're a bunch of dicks and it's about time that they got a taste of their own medicine.

Then there's also the fact that for the last 2-3 years or so Wizards has treated their judges terribly.

I just want the good guys to win this one fight rather than the big corporations.
  • Upvote 2

+Gojira    1706
Unfortunately I don't think they picked a winnable fight though

POLLUTEDxDELTA    1889

I don't know enough about the subject to have a valid opinion, but I do hope this ends up with judges getting compensated more for their time and effort.

+Urthor    10188

Depending on what level they are it's not out of the question that the judges could win this case honestly.

Lvl 1/2 would get classed as volunteering, if these guys are 4+ though, that's when stuff gets interesting.  

»ACP    33395

Unfortunately I don't think they picked a winnable fight though

If it was 100% unwinnable, they wouldn't have been able to get a lawyer to take their case.

»ACP    33395
In class action suits, attorneys get their fees from the pool of money recovered from the defendant(s). That means that if the classes get $0 from Wizards, the attorney just wasted his time and worked for free.

Like I said, if the case was clearly unwinnable, they wouldn't have a lawyer.

Soul    7938

Thats not true lol

He meant a good/reputable attorney. In which case it is true.

website is bad    2170

uhhhhh yeah a class action is also just a ton of attorney resources needed up front so they generally dont happen unless there is a significant chance of winning

Justin.    734

Lawsuits can take months or even years to be settled (if I remember correctly). So I wouldn't expect to hear anything major about this any time soon.

Me.    63

Has there been any update to how this is progressing?

+mmf    23457

http://www.employmentlawfirms.com/resources/employment/wages-and-overtime-pay/certifications-flsa-unpaid.htm

plaintiffs: "we want to represent judges, even the ones who judged 3 years and 1 day before the filing of this case and whom therefore fall outside of the statute of limitations on the FLSA"

or something to that effect. i think.