Paraliel

Magic Changes

Sophocles    2777
Oh i skimmed that bit, wtf 250k prize increase in one year
Then it's just hilarious incompetence or the conspiracy theory is right

ibGehring+    1410

How much validity do you feel there is to the notion that this is in direct response to the judge lawsuit, as a way of distancing themselves from running high end events as a job/business?

I'm more inclined to believe it's a result in changing leadership rather than the lawsuit

The change in leadership isn't until June. I don't think it has anything to do with that.

They are trying to compete with e sports who offer mega prizes for events such as worlds but won't allow sponsors like e sports do essentially making things worse than better. It's ridiculous. I have a friend that's platinum and has chased it again this year. He is 1 point off now and all the time and money he spent globe trotting GPs will be for nothing.
  • Upvote 2

»ACP    33373

How many times has WotC made some shitty change and then reversed it after it infuriated the community?

At some point, you'd think they'd run their changes by a few players in the professional community and get opinions before announcing this kind of stuff.

»ACP    33373

This could easily have come from above WoTC though.

Doesn't change the context of my post. I'm pretty sure that Hasbro executives aren't the ones making Magic Organized Play decisions though.

The fact is that Magic has a long history of announcing changes and immediately retracting them. It makes it seem like they don't know what they're doing.

• Upvote 1

Mutavault    2900

I'm glad they were mature enough to admit they were wrong in doing so and giving the Plat players/chasers their deserved earnings back.

(ps. I can't write very much because this color is blinding me of brightness when I use toned down options and can't on here yet but I know we will soon)

+Urthor    10161

The budget for organized play tournament prizing is a miniscule amount of MTG's revenue.  Their direct reports in Hasbro will not be micromanaging any changes within this tiny slice of the business, if they're micromanaging anything it'd be the size of the organized play budget as a whole, but even that would be piss poor corporate governance to begin with.  Micro-managing your semi-independant business unit's subdivision which is probably 3-4 layers in the org chart below where you are is not how you run a corporation.   

Realistically this was the head of the organised play's gig, and she is unlikely to make a decision like this solo because it impacts on the brand perception which is not the head of organised play's gig no sir.  

It was a group decision between her and her boss/her equivalent in marketing (I'd imagine Org play is a subset of marketing so marketing is probably Helene's boss, but who knows the corporate layout of WotC), that there had to be some parity between the MTG World Champs and Hearthstone for shitty reasons.

Saying Hasbo has done this is like saying Helene's boss, had their boss, had their boss, had their boss tell them to cut this minute piece of expenditure in Helene's organised play budget.   Hasbro had nothing to do with this

ibGehring+    1410

I honestly think they simply thought "hey players will love a massive tournament prize increase" and simply did not think about how the changes would affect platinum pros. The amount of back tracking they do is insane. It shows they are weak with their decisions, and shows they do not actually put real thought behind them, because if they did, instead of back tracking they would stick to their decisions and give reasons as to why they made them. its not like these changes are small, so you would think they would have logical business plans to explain how and why it works. the positive and negative aspects etc.

they simply do not think about the ramifications of their actions when it comes to money. all they think about is keeping up with e sports, and don't realise they need to find other avenues to make it work, not cut money from the pool that already exists and move it around.

if they had any foresight at all, and understood the time and monetary investment their platinum pros expend to chase platinum they would have never made such a drastic change that has now tarnished the trust of their followers.

whoever this move came from, is an idiot and clearly has no interest in the players. they like the idea of being the #1 attraction due to prize support, neglecting the fact their is no attraction without the people who showcase their game or players who clearly are unhappy with the brand they promote.

these changes would have been fine if at the same time they announced that sponsors were allowed to support players/teams. you could guarantee pro players would have major brands such as samsung/coke etc trying to support them (if that didn't infringe with their blizzard deals etc - but you get what I mean).

• Upvote 1

+Paraliel+    7994

Sponsors are allowed to support players/teams. That's not why it isn't happening, it's not happening because there isn't enough of a viewership for things like Coke/Samsung to jump in.