captainameowica

Battle City: Retro Formats Leader Board & Match Report Thread

Snake got me 2-1. 

Top Deck for the loss. Still maintain dustshoot is a terrible card and should be honor banned. Even in the last 4 games I've played dustshoot was arguably the deciding factor in 3/4 of those (counting the 1 game I played with Jazzy before he had to go). 

• Upvote 1

I guess Me over Jazz 1-0 based on the rules due to d/c cause he had to go (but I'm willing to play it out with him later if he wants since it was at a logical break point. Jazzy just hmu whenever) - Same deal dustshoot is a terrible card. Pretty much had no way to win that. 

Edit: Also, Jazz, Im curious if you were just safeguarding or read that I had the 2nd dustshoot down based on how I played the first? You left before I got a chance to ask. 

+Jazz    5379
2 hours ago, Francis J Underwood said:

I guess Me over Jazz 1-0 based on the rules due to d/c cause he had to go (but I'm willing to play it out with him later if he wants since it was at a logical break point. Jazzy just hmu whenever) - Same deal dustshoot is a terrible card. Pretty much had no way to win that. 

Edit: Also, Jazz, Im curious if you were just safeguarding or read that I had the 2nd dustshoot down based on how I played the first? You left before I got a chance to ask. 

I didn't have a strong read but you did mention in your previous post you like to play around T1 RotA and I thought it was weird you played it differently than you said you would with the first copy you flipped.

However I was so afraid of trooper because I didn't have an answer in hand that I fucked it in the end. I should have discarded your storm and set meta to keep you from being able to shoot. In the end letting your keep storm really killed me because I kept drawing metas and backrows.

So yes I played around it but I didn't trust my read enough to keep committing stuff to the board. I should have though.

Still disagree that shoot/Confi decides the games. It's what you do with it and what you do after in response that counts.

This format would be even more fast and fucked with no legit answer to Trooper which Dustshoot is.

PS Yeah take the win, we'll play another match soon. Sorry I had to bail.

+Jazz    5379

Spotlight of the week?

1 hour ago, captainameowica said:

also i'm pretty certain, after tonight i'm going to put an honor ban on trap dustshoot.

Yeah. Me over cap 2-0 in troop dupe.  Game 1 was just bullshit because dustshoot is a terrible card. Game 2 - I lucked out and what he needed was just 1 turn too late. 

+Jazz    5379

Really not a fan of honor bans unless it's a Prize Card.

14 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Really not a fan of honor bans unless it's a Prize Card.

I mean I get what you're saying here, but now that we have DN and everyone has unlimited access to it, there is no real good reason to honor ban CCV. Yes, not everyone had it back then, but it was still a part of the format that you had to deal with a SJC or (in my case) regionals. 

It's a weird case for me. Yes there was a limited amount of players with CCV, but the impact of the card wasn't insignificant. If it were it wouldn't be honor banned. I feel the only reason we keep dustshoot in this format is because that's the way the format was and there was a reasonable expectation your oppn could get you with it while CCV was more dependent based on where and what you were playing in (even then a smaller number)

+Gemstone Mine    2600

I think the core issue with removing a card like dustshoot from the format is that it significantly alters how the format would be played, decks would not necessarily be structured as they were if it wasn't legal. Whereas say CCV in pcm format, ccv makes pcm undisputedly the best deck but no one builds around it or against it, it just makes the deck that can use it better in a bullshit way

and at the end of the day, we are here to celebrate formats as they were, with some tone downs where needed of course, but dustshoot is an intergral part of how this format was played, and I think that has to be considered when considering where to honor ban a card.

on a random tangent I would like to point out that pcm format should be heavily considered for replacing troop dupe when we look at our formats, I feel like pcm in a lot of ways is a more fair version of troop dupe format.

captainameowica    3770

i opened the nuts then you flip dustshoot to make the nuts irrelevant. on top of that, ripping cards at opportune times. -__-

my biggest gripe with dustshoot is that, yeah, it's super fucking powerful and makes the format not fun at all but back then the card was BARELY used in main decks.  and even when it started seeing play in main decks, it was towards the end of the format. for every one purrson maining dustshoot, 4-5 were maining sakuretsu or some other card. everyone main decking dustshoot literally changes the format completely. idk maybe i'm not thinking rationally i'm still salty about losing QQ

31 minutes ago, Gemstone Mine said:

I think the core issue with removing a card like dustshoot from the format is that it significantly alters how the format would be played, decks would not necessarily be structured as they were if it wasn't legal. Whereas say CCV in pcm format, ccv makes pcm undisputedly the best deck but no one builds around it or against it, it just makes the deck that can use it better in a bullshit way

and at the end of the day, we are here to celebrate formats as they were, with some tone downs where needed of course, but dustshoot is an intergral part of how this format was played, and I think that has to be considered when considering where to honor ban a card.

on a random tangent I would like to point out that pcm format should be heavily considered for replacing troop dupe when we look at our formats, I feel like pcm in a lot of ways is a more fair version of troop dupe format.

I mean part of the fun of retro formats is going back and seeing things with hindsight bias. Multiple cydras were staple in every deck and as Jazz pointed out, it may not have been an optimal choice (idk if i agree but you get my point.) That's not really playing formats as they were. 

I get the argument about celebrating how formats were played, but why not just leave CCV in then. It was an integral part of the format in that having it was a significant advantage and unlike back then, everyone has access to it now. Like I said, it was honor banned because it wasnt a reasonable expectation of what to see for some ppl, but was still a game swing card. If it didn't fulfill condition 2, we wouldn't honor ban it. 

Idk Im just not for any card that literally punishes someone for going 2nd. Dustshoot doesn't really promote PvP interaction and that's what makes good formats good imo.   

Lost to nippie 1-2 Tengu Plant

@captainkitty Maybe you have a point about this format being lucky at times lol I wont reveal how I lost cause I don't want to give away nippies cards but it was very annoying.