Sign in to follow this  
Gojira

Stock Market Investing

+Gojira    1706
1 hour ago, ACP said:

I believe that interactive brokers has a full API that anyone can utilize. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet though, been too busy with other things.

I assume you mean InteractiveBrokers the company? They have a pretty good system it looks like. Correct me if I'm wrong, I think you have to pay at least $10 a month on transaction costs, but there's a very low cost per transaction. Definitely a good place to do high-volume trades.

2 hours ago, Aaron said:

ya nvidia is a solid investment. 

if i was in to stocks i would invest in nvidia and nintendo no doubt about it. they're bossing the graphics card division and nintendo are one 3D pokemon release away from exploding stocks wise (which they've confirmed WILL happen). i don't see AMD investing anything promising in the next 2 years graphics card wise and with the recent vega wait, I'm sure A LOT of people are going to switch teams and just eat up the gsync tax now or next gen. 

How much do u reccomend as a starting bank roll to invest in stocks with? I have a stable good income but could work my ass off for a month or two to have a decent bank roll to invest with. 

I can right now start investing with about £10k but I'm limited on time when it comes to stocks. Could do with someone to give me a hand and discuss shit with. 

Yeah despite nvidia's absurd growth in the last year, I think it's still a fine investment, whereas AMD is not, while having similar growth over the past year.

£10k seems like a good amount to start with, even if you plan on only doing long-term investing. Obviously the more you have, the better you can diversify.

»ACP    33402

I'm not sure on the details regarding Interactive Broker's fees; it's just what my algorithmic trading textbook recommended that you use for high frequency trading. I can also send you the book if you want.

Aaron    2012
18 hours ago, Gojira said:

I assume you mean InteractiveBrokers the company? They have a pretty good system it looks like. Correct me if I'm wrong, I think you have to pay at least $10 a month on transaction costs, but there's a very low cost per transaction. Definitely a good place to do high-volume trades.

Yeah despite nvidia's absurd growth in the last year, I think it's still a fine investment, whereas AMD is not, while having similar growth over the past year.

£10k seems like a good amount to start with, even if you plan on only doing long-term investing. Obviously the more you have, the better you can diversify.

TLDR: 

I have 10-30k to invest. I have no idea where to start. 

I remember playing around with it a few years ago, signed up to td waterhouse or some crap like that. 

Correct me where I'm wrong but I feel NVIDIA and Nintendo (w/switch + upcoming pokemon 3D RPG) are good bets to invest in at present. I would have invested in both of them 2 years ago if I'd had access to the stock market. 

Can you advise me on newbie steps or material I can read to get up and going with investments? I know there is something u can do where u bet on stocks rather than invest in them? which is best? 

Edited by Aaron

+Urthor    10204

Picking individual stocks is a bad idea for that exact reason, Nintendo's long term income isn't super established and you can never predict when a failing console will come out of them.  NVIDIA probably is, GPU computing is becoming so big because big data that it's booming massively. 

Aaron    2012

Hmmm so where do I start? Can osmeone link me some content to watch.

I have a steady income and I'd like to take advantage of it. I'm getting around £9-10k/month gross, and in my job I can sometimes have up to 3-4 hours a day free (in which I'd like to study another means to investing my money). 

The tax at the moment is really killing off my salary so I'd like to invest where I can. 

»ACP    33402

@Gojira I just found out about a site called quantopian. It's for research and backtesting trading algorithms. Just made an account today, and I'm reading all of the tutorials. It seems like a good resource for intro-level algorithmic trading. Anyone else have experience with the site?

+Gojira    1706
20 hours ago, ACP said:

@Gojira I just found out about a site called quantopian. It's for research and backtesting trading algorithms. Just made an account today, and I'm reading all of the tutorials. It seems like a good resource for intro-level algorithmic trading. Anyone else have experience with the site?

I had not seen this before, definitely will be testing it out.

+Gojira    1706

It seems like a lot of people are connecting Quantopian with the Robinhood trading app, since they offer $0 fees.

+rei+    34512

aaron invest in index bonds

»ACP    33402

@Gojira once we figure this shit out we should start a DGZ hedge fund.

+Urthor    10204

I understand none of this trading algorithms wajigmis but I would love to bring /r/wallstreetbets to Duelistgroundz

• Upvote 1

Matt Bishop    2377

Currently long AMD, ALKS, AMZN, AAPL, NKE and ROST in the account that I fuck with.  

My more meaningful account is invested 65-35 equity/income, fees tax deductible so I end up around ~1.4% actively mgd.  Fees are high, performance good, and prefer to have downside protection with that account.

Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 10.56.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 10.57.06 PM.png

• Upvote 2

Matt Bishop    2377

Added positions in $FB and $BOX today.

+Gojira    1706
1 hour ago, Matt Bishop said:

Added positions in $FB and $BOX today.

Any insight on your reasoning for picking those up now? Short-term or long-term

Matt Bishop    2377

Likely short-ish term for $BOX, but I consider $FB to be high quality, and will likely hold for my PT (~190).

$BOX had a solid earnings report today, beat earnings expectations, and provided upbeat/increased guidance for rest of this year.  It was down ~3% on that news.  It's been in a bit of a rut; trading in range between 17-20 for the past three months or so.  My thought was that with this news and the sell off, I was getting it at a discount and the trend would likely reverse.  Short-term, I've been right in AH trading, but it is on pretty light volume.  I'd like to see PT of 20-21 from it...

Facebook    70

You guys should consider taking a foundational finance course on coursera. News should not be driving your trading activity. 

Also, calc if this is a productive usage of your time. By how much is your portfolio exceeding index funds like Vanguard, Schwab, etc (+10% YoY)? Is that added value worth the time you could have been spending doing something else?

Btw Switch IPO $$$$$$

+Gojira    1706
12 hours ago, Facebook said:

You guys should consider taking a foundational finance course on coursera. News should not be driving your trading activity. 

Also, calc if this is a productive usage of your time. By how much is your portfolio exceeding index funds like Vanguard, Schwab, etc (+10% YoY)? Is that added value worth the time you could have been spending doing something else?

Btw Switch IPO $$$$$$

I disagree with this. Sentiment drives a large portion of trading activity, and news can give some indication of that. The most important part is researching the company's financial data, but I don't think news is useless.

As for the second point, for most people it is indeed better just to invest in a fund.

• Upvote 1

Facebook    70
12 minutes ago, Gojira said:

I disagree with this. Sentiment drives a large portion of trading activity, and news can give some indication of that. The most important part is researching the company's financial data, but I don't think news is useless.

As for the second point, for most people it is indeed better just to invest in a fund.

Trading on news is inefficient because you will never have the tools / automation day traders have access to beat the market on news. In order for non-retail investors to win, you need to lose. Conversely, trading on fundamentals doesn't require any special resources at all and isn't a zero sum "you vs. institutions" game.

Obviously trading on news SOMETIMES is acceptable when you think the market is reacting strangely to something (Baozun $$$ SGMO $$$$) but it should never "drive" trading activity for retail investors 

Matt Bishop    2377

I think fundamentals are obviously more important than news if you are buying something as an investment.  I think if you are trading something, news is incredibly relevant as it can be a catalyst to higher or lower prices.  Ultimately you have to decide what reason you’re buying for to start with, investment or trade.  

Trade by definition is short term in nature and should not turn into an investment if it turns out that you made a bad call.  You should have an exit point planned on both sides and exit the trade at the set point when either hits.

Investment is longer term, you believe in the fundamentals of the company, strategy, growth prospects, etc.  For example, I began investing in $ALKS because of the ongoing opioid crisis in North America, but probably globally would be more accurate.  Alkermes makes Vivitrol, an opioid blocker designed to “turn off” sensors in the brain that opioid use triggers.  The drug is different from typical treatments because traditionally treatments have themselves had an opioid in them (therefore, they are using a derivative of the very drug they are addicted to in order to ween themself off).

The studies I have read show that only a small percentage of addicts are currently using Vivitrol (while Alkermes revenues from the drug’s sales have spiked significantly over the past year or two).  Meaning that if more and more addicts start to use Vivitrol, the likelihood of revenues increasing for Alkermes seems pretty good.  Alkermes is at an attractive price point in my opinion, I averaged my position down earlier in the quarter around the $51 price point.  I haven’t sold because I still believe in the company/fundamentals of the initial investment.  If I didn’t then I would have sold the stock a long time ago.  

Sorry for the long explanation, just wanted to explain why I believe trading on news/expected news can sometimes be beneficial, while investing should not be thought of as buying or selling on news at all.